Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The way you treat people online vs in real life.

Think before posting. Who you are online is who you are in person. Most of you seem to think otherwise.

We are all guilty of this. It's time to become better people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Did you lose an argument or something?

I treat people in real life just as I treat them online. Luckily, most people aren't looking for an argument about every little thing in real life.

I generally treat people online better than I do in real life because I can't do anything to them online anyways so there's no need to get heated if it can at all be avoided.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

People want to be assholes treat em like assholes. Logic applies to wow and in real life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liftinmammals View Post
    Think before posting. Who you are online is who you are in person. Most of you seem to think otherwise.

I treat people the same online as in real life. No I ain't guilty of shit because I am not a asshole.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    People want to be assholes treat em like assholes. Logic applies to wow and in real life.
    ^This is true.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am just as lovingly mean irl as i am here and if you dont like it, tough cookie

I'm nicer to people online than I am IRL. But if you want me to act as I would IRL then you're gonna have a bad time, I'm afraid.

OP is right only because karma is a real thing

Be nice to people, and get high rolls
    Ninja some shit lowkey, it will bite you in the ass later

Thank you OP, you changed my life.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I am just as lovingly mean irl as i am here and if you dont like it, tough cookie
    Eats tough cookie. Mmm is that blueberry?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I'm a bit of a bastard irl too.

If people hit me for it then I get to sue them so it's a win/win.

We are all guilty of this
    Stop projecting.

We most certainly are not. In fact Im probably nicer online. IRL, I generally ignore people more as it's harder to get rid of them if they become annoying or needy. Online I can just block them so it's easier to take chances.

the only difference between me online vs me in RL is becasue I'm a relatively slow typer, I have more time to consider my words and a lot of the time by the time i finished typing, I change my mind about sharing it. in RL, my impulse control and brain to words connection - doesn't have as much of a barrier. so /shrug?

I've met plenty of people who are nicer when you talk to them in voice chat, vs text, but i also have to wonder... how much of that has to do with not being able to hear the tone or cadence and extrapolating the typed word to sound worse than it really is?

Yep. I agree with the OP. Just chill people, eat a snickers.

Ignoring people in real life is not good. We are all called to serve our community, make each other better, and be patient with one another as we grow in life. Ignoring others does you and others a disservice in your growth and theirs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Did you lose an argument or something?
    No sir. I think the community sometimes just needs reminders on real values. We can always talk about video games, but as far as building character and being better people no one wants to talk about that because it reveals flaws. We are all weak in areas and it takes people willing to speak about it to spark change for the better. You never know who needs to hear something. Words are strong.

Care to provide an argument, instead of a baseless blank statement? Online is not real life, it's simply a fact. That is, unless you're famous or stupid enough to dox yourself. At the very least the dynamic of conversation is altered, depending on the medium.

Text in general makes for a entirely different style, much slower, with opportunity to properly think and express yourself. Not many take that option, but it's a different topic in itself. You also have some much less instinctive ways to determine hidden meaning/emotions. For example many people can't understand sarcasm well orally, and are completely dense to it in text. So you need to rely on written hints (from something as blunt as /s to simply paying attention to changes in punctuation and capitalization) or simply guess by the overall tone. This makes written communication online stiffer and shallower than any in-person conversation.

Forums, like this or reddit and such, are more akin to monologuing at someone for about 5 minutes and then waiting for a reply. It is more like an official debate or a rap battle, than a proper conversation IRL.

Chats like discord or text messages of different variety tend to be livelier, but still suffer from the overall limits of written communication. You do expect an answer much faster, but that usually comes at the (even greater) cost to expression. This is why emotacons are so widely used, since most other ways of written expression (except maybe punctuation at the end of sentences) goes out the window.

VoIP services are a bit different, as they are much closer to IRL conversation, but they still rob you of any visual queues, but that's not something most people can pick up on anyway. As a result people tend to be more reserved, yet open and/or truthful during them. And it tends to follow a more natural path, where initially you put up your usual front, and as you get to know people, you let down some of your walls. Yet there is still the big A...

Anonymity, the biggest difference between IRL and online interactions. And, as a secondary, yet important factor, safety. There is no threat of physical violence, and despite what concerned moms want you to believe, true online bullying is very rare. Most cases are results of involved parties knowing each other IRL, or the bullied person revealing personal information about themselves. The ever present ability to ignore and block unwanted messages or people is highly potent, as well as staff or the resource used, that will almost always assist the target. And in the worst case, it's simply a matter of creating a new account. Purely online bullying is very ineffective and easily dealt with.

So with no threat or any meaningful repercussions, the nature of interaction is different at a fundamental level. Even if you make conscious effort to treat them equally, you will still never be able to do so. There are tons of subconscious triggers, responses and limiters that we employ IRL, that simply do not fire during online interactions.

So, in conclusion, I think your statement is just hot air, as IRL and online interactions are different at their core, meaning it's impossible to treat them equally.
    Last edited by Echeyakee; 2020-01-19 at 12:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    IRL I typically don't engage with people I don't know unless necessary.

Nah I'm good, thanks.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    Care to provide an argument, instead of a baseless blank statement? Online is not real life, it's simply a fact. That is, unless you're famous or stupid enough to dox yourself. At the very least the dynamic of conversation is altered, depending on the medium.

Text in general makes for a entirely different style, much slower, with opportunity to properly think and express yourself. Not many take that option, but it's a different topic in itself. You also have some much less instinctive ways to determine hidden meaning/emotions. For example many people can't understand sarcasm well orally, and are completely dense to it in text. So you need to rely on written hints (from something as blunt as /s to simply paying attention to changes in punctuation and capitalization) or simply guess by the overall tone. This makes written communication online stiffer and shallower than any in-person conversation.

Forums, like this or reddit and such, are more akin to monologuing at someone for about 5 minutes and then waiting for a reply. It is more like an official debate or a rap battle, than a proper conversation IRL.

Chats like discord or text messages of different variety tend to be livelier, but still suffer from the overall limits of written communication. You do expect an answer much faster, but that usually comes at the (even greater) cost to expression. This is why emotacons are so widely used, since most other ways of written expression (except maybe punctuation at the end of sentences) goes out the window.

VoIP services are a bit different, as they are much closer to IRL conversation, but they still rob you of any visual queues, but that's not something most people can pick up on anyway. As a result people tend to be more reserved, yet open and/or truthful during them. And it tends to follow a more natural path, where initially you put up your usual front, and as you get to know people, you let down some of your walls. Yet there is still the big A...

Anonymity, the biggest difference between IRL and online interactions. And, as a secondary, yet important factor, safety. There is no threat of physical violence, and despite what concerned moms want you to believe, true online bullying is very rare. Most cases are results of involved parties knowing each other IRL, or the bullied person revealing personal information about themselves. The ever present ability to ignore and block unwanted messages or people is highly potent, as well as staff or the resource used, that will almost always assist the target. And in the worst case, it's simply a matter of creating a new account. Purely online bullying is very ineffective and easily dealt with.

So with no threat or any meaningful repercussions, the nature of interaction is different at a fundamental level. Even if you make conscious effort to treat them equally, you will still never be able to do so. There are tons of subconscious triggers, responses and limiters that we employ IRL, that simply do not fire during online interactions.

So, in conclusion, I think your statement is just hot air, as IRL and online interactions are different at their core, meaning it's impossible to treat them equally.
    Quantity is not quality and you don't need to know what in specific he is talking about, but he doesn't need to. Every thread in MMO has someone treating others like they are dumb and unconscious and unable to articulate words for the purest reason of thinking they are the ones with the reason.
    All the OP is saying is to think before posting because you don't know those people and you don't know if certain words can cause them anything. Words are just words, but words can be strong. For example you encounter someone with autism, you don't know, but you're making that person feel worse than before.