Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Why no one wants WoW cinematic type movies?

I am not talking about the movies you see in cinemas, I am talking about the cinematic that blizzard creates ones each expansion, or few times during bfa. If the demand is big, blizzard could probably whip up 2 hour long cinematic that could show case Arthas story or any other for that matter.

Actual blizzard cinematics aren't made by them anymore, they have outsourced all their cinematics to the The Third Floor studio

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    I am not talking about the movies you see in cinemas, I am talking about the cinematic that blizzard creates ones each expansion, or few times during bfa. If the demand is big, blizzard could probably whip up 2 hour long cinematic that could show case Arthas story or any other for that matter.
    Issue is those cinematics take a LOT of time to make. There is reason why there is so few, they are a lot of work. Maybe in some alternate timeline where they decided their first movie would be like they sure. But after the semi-fail of their first movie, no way they gunna take the HUGE risk of making a full movie of that quality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ohmmega View Post
    Actual blizzard cinematics aren't made by them anymore, they have outsourced all their cinematics to the The Third Floor studio
    What are you talking about? Any source on that cause I still remember seeing their in-depth people showing how they made the cinematics... Include Terran

https://www.mmo-champion.com/content...Road-to-Legion they even had a whole hour long video about the making process for wods cinematic.

And looking to the third floors website, they haven't worked on wow. They did work on destiny 2 and doom and stuff. But not wow.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2020-01-19 at 10:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

I think the same that you, i love the idea. I even think they can create any kind of series which tell the Warcraft Universe history since the 1st war using this kind of cinematic. It would be awesome.

The cinematics look really good. The artists do an amazing job with them.

The problem is that the writers really let the artists down. They do a full length movie like them and we'd end up with something like the Transformers movies: lot's of cool flashy effects, but a story that sucks donkey balls.

Because the writing has always been terrible.

The cinematics have always been good. The WoW story has always been boring and relatively pointless.

No possible way they could make a 1+ hour story that's actually interesting and engaging. Sure, it'll look really nice, but that won't be enough to get people to go pay money to see it.

Because I like having those cinematics for the game, and if they're making a movie then they won't be making them for the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see a cinematic that was movie length. The main problem is that they take a very long time to generate just a few minutes of cinematic. A single frame of file takes many hours to render. Plan a movie for 90 minutes at 50FPS. That's 270,000 frames. Pixar calculates that it takes them 29 hours to render a single frame of film. About Pixar's technology:
    Inside the building is a data center full of humming servers — double the size that the company used in the past — that would be considered one of the top 25 supercomputers in the world. The 2,000 computers have more than 24,000 cores. The data center is like the beating heart behind the movie’s technology.

Even with all of that computing might, it still takes 29 hours to render a single frame of Monsters University, according to supervising technical director Sanjay Bakshi.

Rendering means that the computers build the 3D world in its full colors as the scene is meant to be viewed in a theater. The machines create the frame and it is then captured as one of thousands of frames in the movie. When you watch the movie, you see anywhere from 24 frames to 60 frames per second.

All told, it has taken more than 100 million CPU hours to render the film in its final form. If you used one CPU to do the job, it would have taken about 10,000 years to finish. With all of those CPUs that Pixar did have, it took a couple of years to render.
    I very much doubt that Blizzard has anything remotely like what Pixar has built so you can figure it would take longer.

That's a decent reason to be against it. Also, Blizzard is a game company. They are not a movie studio.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

It would take years to make, when it already takes months for their team to make a 2 minute cinematic.

The main problem I have is that even as a fan of WoW and its lore, I wouldn't likely go see a Warcraft movie because it would be one of the following:
    1.) A retelling/retcon of the lore we already know, making it boring to watch for old fans, and confusing for people not in the know.
    2.) A completely new story that has no consequences in the game's lore, or is dumbed down enough for non-fans (or players that don't pay attention to lore) to follow along completely.
    3.) An alternate universe that doesn't matter to the lore we already know - just like the Warcraft movie (which, admittedly, I didn't see in theaters, but I bought it on DVD later on).

Sure, it may look nice, but a WoW cinematic-level movie also has to have a good story. At this point the writers can't string together a good or surprising story in in-game quests for most fans, much less a 2-hour movie. And if they were to show a new side to an old story, it wouldn't have a good impact.

Using the Arthas example in the OP, we already know how it ends with Arthas, and we've already heard a lot about his life through games, books, and old cinematics. There would be no suspense if fans already know he's going to be the Lich King, and even when we know how he dies. That's why some novels weren't received well either - we already knew Vol'jin survived the events in Pandaria, so by the time his novel was released (which took place before the patch that was already out, so we knew he survived) it was completely meaningless.

Had the Warcraft movie's CGI looked a bit better (though, I didn't think it looked entirely terrible), it still would have been a bit of a boring story for WoW fans, and it still would have been seen as a boring LOTR for non-WoW fans.

But, it's a nice idea, just hard to make happen.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

I love that idea I've even signed a petition for a tv series on Netflix with the graphics of the cinematic. A movie that respects the lore at 150% and made like cinematic it will be perfect.

That is why the Warcraft movie looked like a Blizzard cinematic... Too bad it had terrible writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    Using the Arthas example in the OP, we already know how it ends with Arthas, and we've already heard a lot about his life through games, books, and old cinematics. There would be no suspense if fans already know he's going to be the Lich King, and even when we know how he dies. That's why some novels weren't received well either - we already knew Vol'jin survived the events in Pandaria, so by the time his novel was released (which took place before the patch that was already out, so we knew he survived) it was completely meaningless.
    A high budget, well made movie / series based around Arthas would be amazing for both fans of Warcraft and people have never heard of it. Fans "already knowing his story" wouldn't make a full on production based around it "not suspenseful".

I don't want Blizzard to make a movie becasuse Blizzard doesn't make movies, they make games. Cimeatics team is quite small and few minute cinematics you see take months to do. Making full 2 hour movie would take them few years and no other cinematics could be made in that time. They would need to hire a proper studio or studios to make an actual movie. Just take a look at any credits during a blockbuster movie, most names there are people working for VFX studios that made some of the CGI for the movie. And sometime even all those people didn't have enough time resulting in very bad looking CGI.

So what I would like is a movie made by an actual movie studio, full on CGI becasue real humans don't realy fit that world. Or maybe a tv show that isn't an adaptation of any ingame story. Instead it tells a story of some group of people traveling across the world and usualy getting in some local trouble. That would avoid any adaptation issues people would have with some chnges to the story and give writers some creative freedom.

In this case, and very much so: Want, does not get.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

There's a reason why plastic looking Pixar'ish 3D is more prevalent in cinema compared to a more realistic approach...

They are easier to make and thus less time consuming. Time = money after all.

That being said, the time frames of production of WoW's cinematics are based on site with their own team, and that 'could' be drastically shortened with a large animation studio.

I agree that its a good idea from a fan perspective. But, I am not certain such a endeavor can be profitable due to the production cost. You're paying an art team, voice actors, animators and programmers. The main issue isn't really the cost of production, its the extremely long rendering time. It not only escalates the cost but also makes a mistake extremely costly and no matter mistakes are going to occur. Plus, add in the fact, the Warcraft essentially bombed in the US and only did mediocre in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    A high budget, well made movie / series based around Arthas would be amazing for both fans of Warcraft and people have never heard of it. Fans "already knowing his story" wouldn't make a full on production based around it "not suspenseful".
    I did talk about the troubles of making it a high end cinematic, as well as the current problems with writing. That was just one example of using an older storyline, since it was an example in the OP.

Added to the fact that Blizzard wouldn't be able to make a movie themselves (since, y'know, they already had to make a film through other people), and their problems in writing, the entire problem is that it couldn't be a "high budget, well made movie" in the first place.

Budget has little to do with it, in the end. The Warcraft movie was already "high budget" fyi. It had a budget of $160 million - for context, Frozen cost $160 million as well. Captain Marvel had a budget around that ($152-$175 million). Shrek had a budget of $60 million. The Witcher series is rumored to cost somewhere around $80-$90 million ($10 million per episode, as opposed to GoT's $6-$7 million per episode). The Room had a budget of $6 million. Napoleon Dynamite cost $400,000.

The Warcraft movie certainly isn't generally regarded more highly than Frozen, even though they had the same budget.

More than budget, it comes down to writing, timing, marketing, and overall effort. If we're going with the wish that Blizzard themselves would make this cinematic-level movie (as is the topic, here), then it would take 20 years to release (since it took a decade for their movie made mostly by other people after it was announced), and the writing wouldn't be as good as it could be. The game they consistently work on is suffering, so I wouldn't have any hope for a "high budget, well made movie/series" from them anytime soon at all.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

i'm not sure who "no one" is, as every time a thread pops up on this website asking "would you rather WoW cinematic-quality movies?" the results are always resounding yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cinematics work and are amazing becuase they're just that. Short clips great for youtube. Just because a 10 min short works doesn't mean a 2-3h long would.