Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Study Finds Five Years After Abortion, Nearly All Women Say It Was the Right Decision

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/01/41...decision-study

Five years after having an abortion, over 95 percent of the women in a landmark UC San Francisco study said it was the right decision for them.

The findings, published Sunday, Jan. 12, 2020, in Social Science & Medicine, come as many states are requiring waiting periods and counseling for women seeking abortions, based on the assumption that they may regret having them.

But the researchers at UCSF’s Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health (ANSIRH) found no evidence that women began to regret their decisions as years passed. On the contrary, the women reported that both their positive and negative feelings about the abortion diminished over time. At five years, the overwhelming majority (84 percent) had either positive feelings, or none at all.

“Even if they had difficulty making the decision initially, or if they felt their community would not approve, our research shows that the overwhelming majority of women who obtain abortions continue to believe it was the right decision,” said Corinne Rocca, PhD, MPH, associate professor in the UCSF Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, and first author of the study. “This debunks the idea that most women suffer emotionally from having an abortion.”

The researchers analyzed data from the Turnaway Study, a five-year effort to understand the health and socioeconomic consequences for nearly 1,000 women who sought abortions in 21 states around the country. The analysis included 667 participants who had abortions at the start of the study. The women were surveyed a week after they sought care and every six months thereafter, for a total of 11 times.

While women did not report regretting their decision, many did struggle initially to make it. Just over half said the decision to terminate their pregnancy was very difficult (27 percent) or somewhat difficult (27 percent), while the rest (46 percent) said it was not difficult. About 70 percent also reported feeling they would be stigmatized by their communities if people knew they had sought an abortion, with 29 percent reporting low levels and 31 percent reporting high levels of community stigma.
    i'm not going to paste the whole article, but the rest of it is very very interesting. abortion, the rights women have to it, and the hot topic of legality of it in some U.S. states is indeed a hot topic.

should more studies like this be held and used as "ammunition" for those for or against it?

p.s. -- i made sure to read thru the list of rules for the website and i do not think this topic breaks any of them. apologies a head of time if some mod's interpretation of the rules are contrary to what i say/think but if that's the case, perhaps the rules need to be more specific and less vague for individual interpretation. so if this ends up being that, again i'm sorry.

Mod Edit: This thread is closed.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-01-19 at 05:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WraithKingOstarion
    i made sure to read thru the list of rules for the website and i do not think this topic breaks any of them.
    On the surface, probably not. Now, let's see how many posts in we get before it goes to religion and gender -- kind of inherent in the topic and both are banned.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Player Eleven View Post
    The only people who are against abortion are the misogynists.
    I wouldn't say women who are against abortion are misogynists. I would say the brush to use for all of anti-abortionists is that they are deluded with outdated morality.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    I wouldn't say women who are against abortion are misogynists. I would say the brush to use for all of anti-abortionists is that they are deluded with outdated morality.
    Women fall into an entirely different line of silly.

That’s disgusting.

The only people who are against abortion are the misogynists.
    Oh shut up. There's equally as many women that are pro-lifers if not more so, so you saying "misogynist" is just you speaking out the ass for the absolute sake of it...

Those against it are typically of a religious background, with the others on (warped) morality where a clump of cells has more precedence than the 'mother' and their wellbeing.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-01-19 at 01:52 PM.

Population Control would put a stop to abortions as well as having kids out of wedlock.

Overpopulation is very real.

If anything we should be considering forced abortions soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Population Control would put a stop to abortions as well as having kids out of wedlock.

Overpopulation is very real.

If anything we should be considering forced abortions soon.
    What the fuck is wrong with you? What part of "choice" did you not understand?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Oh shut up. There's equally as many women that are pro-lifers if not more so, so you saying "misogynist" is just you speaking out the ass for the absolute sake of it...

Those against it are typically of a religious background, with the others on (warped) morality where a clump of cells has more precedence than the 'mother' and their wellbeing.
    Are you saying women can't be misogynistic about things?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

They are. You're not incapable of misogyny just because you're a woman.
    Sure, less likely though. Still don't agree that the brush being misogyny is accurate since there can be other reasons why they oppose abortion.

US women living in states where their choices are limited should know that there are efforts to provide these women with safe means of abortion (pills) via online channels.

They want us to not be able to decide for ourselves what to do if we get pregnant. It doesn't matter what their reason for this is, it's misogyny.
    No, misogyny is a reason why something is done... if the reason isn't misogyny but something else; it's not misogyny.

They want us to not be able to decide for ourselves what to do if we get pregnant. It doesn't matter what their reason for this is, it's misogyny.
    Sometimes people think it's morally right to NOT have a choice. For example (and what lots of people think about abortion), you shouldn't have the choice to murder someone. Misogyny is not involved in this belief.

No, misogyny is a reason why something is done... if the reason isn't misogyny but something else; it's not misogyny.
    I'd say reason for most politicians in deep red states is misogyny. A lot of anti-abortion republicans have had daughter, wives, and mistress get abortions abroad. While using it to score political points here. Some of the sick bastards are against rape exemptions and even sicker ones are ok with it in states. Where a rapist can fight for custody which is just fucked.

Thomas Clarence got into an argument about the purpose of contraception with Ginsburg. He believes some conspiracy theory that it was use to control black birth rates.

In Ohio republicans wanted to ban forms of it. This doesn't stop after abortion. It also borderlines on degeneracy.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2020-01-19 at 03:57 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Wanting to control what women can or can't do is inherently misogynist, no ifs or buts.
    Not if the reason is of another nature than misogyny....

It's like saying putting women in prison is misogyny because it's against a woman. Reasons are irrelevant according to what you said earlier.

however, reasons matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    I'd say the reason for most politicians in deep red states is misogyny. A lot of anti-abortion republicans have had daughter, wives, and mistress get abortions aboard. While using it to score political points here. Some of the sick bastards are against rape exemptions and the even sicker ones are ok with it in states. Where rapist can fight for custody.

Thomas Clarence got into an argument about contraception and in Ohio republicans wanted to ban forms of it. This doesn't stop after abortion. It also borderlines on degeneracy.
    Not denying that. Just saying it's not all misogyny. Since I know for a fact some does it because they value life... which is why I think the best brush to use is misguided and deluded sense of morality. Often having it's roots in religion. This encompases misogyny as well since it's a deluded morality stance.

Only women can get pregnant. Any action to restrict it is aimed AT women. Trying to dress it up in nice words doesn't make it not misogyny to want to control what women can or can't do.
    Which is correct, because of biology. Fairly sure some would still value life even if men were the one getting pregnant.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-01-19 at 03:59 PM.

Not denying that. Just saying it's not all misogyny. Since I know for a fact some does it because they value life... which is why I think the best brush to use is misguided and deluded sense of morality. Often having it's roots in religion. This encompases misogyny as well since it's a deluded morality stance.
    That what they said at the end of the day. I can say anything but what really matters is my actions. A lot of republicans claim to be anti-crime but that is false. A lot of them claim to hate child rapist but vote for people with allegations. There is at least one a month man. I don't care about words, I care about actions because that what has an effect.

If the constitutions or morality are a big issue to you than voting Trump would be impossible. Than still support him regardless.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2020-01-19 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    That what they said at the end of the day. I can say anything but what really matters is my actions. A lot of republicans claim to be anti-crime but that is false. A lot of them claim to hate child rapist but vote for people with allegations. There is at least one a month man. I don't care about words, I care about actions because that what has an effect.

I can believe earth is not round but that means nothing.
    Of course... but thinking literally everyone using the phrase is using it in a non-genuine way is just bonkers. What about non-politicians who are just regular joe and are church goers and thus value the life? I hardly think they are doing it for misogyny sake but instead of their own internal moral compass. Which is outdated and delusional if you ask me, but non-theless not misogynic.

No, they don't. Why aren't they out there giving blood, donating liver or kidney when people need transplants to not die?
    Because fixing a problem is hard and they the government to do it for them. Aren't abortion rates super low in Asian countries because they take sex education a lot more seriously. They also demonize having kids out of wed lock. All of those things are hard and require effort. Why do that when Uncle same can make it illegal and women can die for unsafe abortion instead.

No, they don't. Why aren't they out there giving blood, donating liver or kidney when people need transplants to not die? Why do they support policies that kills people? It's bullshit that they value life.
    I think you are delusional in your own way if you can't accept that some actually do value the life on an unborn. And yeah, people go out and donate blood... Only ones I know that don't because of religion is jehovas and they aren't the only one being anti-abortion. Plenty of religious people are donating organs and blood.