Poll: While playing BfA, did it feel like an Old God themed expansion to you?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    It was pretty obvious from the start. Maybe even before that.

-When Sargeras' sword stabbed into Azeroth, new Silithid emerged from beneath Silithus, and the Twilight's Hammer were some of the only mobs that remained.

-Il'gynoth's quotes and Ogmot's Dream Journal foretold things that would happen in BfA.

-Kul Tiras' aesthetic was largely themed with the Old Gods in mind. Tentacles and sinister-looking squids were featured heavily on their houses, ships, clothes, weapons, banners/flags, and even fireplaces. Even their crest had tentacle/squid-like shapes coming from below, as foreshadowing for the future.

-All of Stormsong was heavily influenced by the Old Gods, with the Tidesages being whispered to by Azshara, and turning into K'thir themselves. Void magic was commong there.

-Tiragarde's ending (inside the Siege of Boralus instance) featured a giant purple squid that was summoned by Ashvane (according to the dungeon journal). The northwestern section of Tiragarde also had heavy Void corruption, which led into the Stormsong storyline.

-Drustvar had magic that came from the Emerald Nightmare, which came from Yogg-Saron and N'Zoth. This was confirmed outside the game, but thematically matched much of what we had seen with Nightmare powers in general.

-Nazmir dealt with G'huun, an Old God that was accidentally created in Uldir. It also dealt with Faceless Ones that were allied with him, ticks/blood beasts created by him, Naga, and those corrupted by him (Blood Trolls, Crawgs).

-Vol'dun dealt with Jakra'zet, the Sandfury, and the Sethrak that were allied with Mythrax, who was allied with G'huun. The lore of Vol'dun was that the armies of Mythrax had ravaged the land thousands of years ago.

-Zuldazar's story led to Zul, his followers, and his allies (Mogu). Zul was a follower of G'huun. They were all working to break the seal in Dazar'alor to set G'huun free, and in the process killed Rezan and Shadra, and nearly killed Rastakhan.

-The dungeons in Zandalar deal with the followers/corruption of G'huun, as well as the bodies of Trolls and Loa being resurrected with his powers.

-The end of Zandalar's main story dealt with G'huun being let free, with Dazar'alor being attacked by all of G'huun's minions (and being ablaze with Void fire).

-Uldir's encounters are mostly centered around G'huun and the Old Gods - we even see an Aqir there for the first time.

-The Crucible of Storms extended on Stormsong's story, and led into 8.2. In that storyline we let loose Xal'atath, got corrupted by N'Zoth, gave a bunch of powerful Void artifacts to the Naga, and allowed Sylvanas to take the blade herself.

-N'Zoth's body was also seen in the Crucible of Storms.

-Nazjatar, of course, dealt with the Naga, who were Highborne corrupted by N'Zoth 10,000 years ago. We saw lots of Void corruption in 8.2 and in the Eternal Palace.

-Azshara and N'Zoth's story were heavily featured in 8.2, with us releasing the Old God at the end of the Eternal Palace.

-Mechagon's story centered around King Mechagon trying to reverse the Curse of Flesh, which was from Yogg-Saron.

-Void minions attacked the Heart Chamber in a couple quests, and they even attacked MOTHER when Magni tried to recruit her to help Azeroth as well.

-The quests featuring Wrathion and Ebonhorn deal heavily with the Old Gods, due to the Black Dragonflight's connection to them.

-All of 8.3 deals with the Old Gods and Aqir, as well as N'Zoth's corruption of Azeroth. The veil between reality and Ny'alotha is also weakened, allowing us to go there.

-On a lesser note, some of the enemies in Island Expeditions were part of the Black Empire (Mantid, Nerubians, Faceless, Twilight Dragonflight, Black Dragonflight, etc).

The Faction War was the center of attention right away, with the Old God stuff in the background. But, a lot of that gave way to the Old God storyline pretty quickly. Dazar'alor was pretty much the last huge hurrah into the Faction War story, with the War Campaign in the background. Even then, the Faction War was part of the Old Gods' plans as well, even with the deals Sylvanas had made with Azshara and Ashvane in the shadows.

So, it was obvious to me from day 1. But, I can see how some people might not have noticed all that stuff if they were more focused on the Faction War storyline. Or, maybe some people noticed it, but thought it would lead to a grander theme centered around the Old Gods. Which, that's still possible - Ny'alotha is another realm that we don't destroy, so we could see more Old God stuff again.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2020-01-19 at 10:38 AM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    I totally didn't even realize this, N'Zoth is the final boss and BfA was totally supposed to be the Old God expansion that people have been asking for. I totally thought BfA was leading up to an Old God expansion with maybe like the rise of the Black Empire or something. But nope, I'm pretty sure Blizzard intended for BfA to be the Old God expansion and I don't think people had any idea.

Yikes.
    Sadly old gods are limited visually. So a whole expansion of ONLY old god stuff. All the raids and dungeons would sorta start to feel samey, all the bosses would feel samey. And you would go "ok this is big tentacle face crab clawed dude number 7 what's he do?"

So really an entire patch JUST to an old god is something we haven't had for the other 2. It was always shared with tons of other stuff
    Especially with this being the final patch.

And no, people actually paying attention knew this was the old god expansion from before the expansion was even announced.

Nzoth was hinted at
    Silithus was stabbed
    Ptr detained kultiran leveling set showing kultiras with tentacles.
    Then just like all of stormsong valley...

Yeah we knew it was coming.

Although I understand no expansion. Cause that would be a fucking trainwreck of "everything looks the same".
    I am surprised no zone... Kinda sad... But the raid sorta fills what I wanted... Just not an out in the world zone.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2020-01-19 at 10:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Sadly old gods are limited visually. So a whole expansion of ONLY old god stuff. All the raids and dungeons would sorta start to feel samey, all the bosses would feel samey. And you would go "ok this is big tentacle face crab clawed dude number 7 what's he do?"

So really an entire patch JUST to an old god is something we haven't had for the other 2. It was always shared with tons of other stuff
    Especially with this being the final patch.

And no, people actually paying attention knew this was the old god expansion from before the expansion was even announced.

Nzoth was hinted at
    Silithus was stabbed
    Ptr detained kultiran leveling set showing kultiras with tentacles.
    Then just like all of stormsong valley...

Yeah we knew it was coming.

Although I understand no expansion. Cause that would be a fucking trainwreck of "everything looks the same".
    I am surprised no zone... Kinda sad... But the raid sorta fills what I wanted... Just not an out in the world zone.
    There are a bunch of other themes they could have touched on in BfA that wouldn't have felt the same. Even between G'huun and N'Zoth, things were designed a bit differently (as far as what their corruption looks like, their followers, and the Old Gods themselves).

8.3 could have been (and should have been) the ultimate Old God experience.
    -Aside from Aqir and Mantid, there are also Nerubians, Silithids, and Qiraji that could have allied with N'Zoth (especially since they made new Silithid models, the Qiraji are next door to Uldum, and we saw Nerubians in Island Expeditions).
    -When we last went to Ulduar at the beginning of Legion, we learned that Yogg-Saron was still somewhat active, with Saronite vapors and Faceless minions still spawning there. The most we heard in 8.3 was that Mimiron closed communications with Ulduar.
    -We could have seen Blood Trolls, who were still active after Uldir before the Battle of Dazar'alor. Likewise, there are likely still creatures related to G'huun (ticks, crawgs, G'huun's faceless, blood beasts, etc), which are nowhere to be seen.
    -The Void Elves generally seem mostly unaffected by the Void ripping Azeroth a new one, which could have been a nice addition to their lore in 8.3, and could have covered the generic purple Void stuff that we've seen.
    -Despite the fact that the Sha were still active in Pandaria in Legion, they're nowhere to be found in 8.3. The powers and looks of the Sha were quite different from most other Old Gods, looking inky instead of the typical Void stuff.
    -The Emerald Nightmare isn't entirely gone, from what we saw of Thros and the Green Dragonflight quest in BfA. Yet, despite it being extremely connected to N'Zoth, we haven't seen any Nightmare dragons or other aesthetics from it in 8.3.
    -The Twilight Dragonflight was active again in Legion with the Shaman Order Hall, and they showed up in Island Expeditions, yet we're seeing "Void Dragons" in 8.3 instead.
    -Likewise, the Black Dragonflight showed up in Islands, but they're nowhere to be found in 8.3 (aside from Wrathion and Ebonhorn).
    -The Infinite Dragonflight got some of their powers from the Old Gods, but we aren't seeing that happen in 8.3.
    -We've seen plenty of mortals allied with the Old Gods/Void (as part of the Twilight's Hammer or another allied group), which are quite limited in number in 8.3. In the past we've seen Vrykul, Drogbar, Dark Irons (allied with Ragnaros still), etc.
    -They could have also written in any number of other Void-corrupted beings from other places if they wanted to, since they could simply use Void portals to bring them there. Think the Pale Orcs, Void-Scarred Krokul, Arakkoa, and Void Ethereals.

Considering this is the last huge push from the Old Gods on Azeroth (for the time being), and with Ny'alotha bleeding into Azeroth, I'm a slight bit surprised they didn't use more of these storylines they had set up from the past. Instead we're fighting just N'Zoth's immediate forces, and Tol'vir whose story goes all the way back to...Island Expeditions.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was obvious af since begining. It is literally MoP 2.0 but with worse gameplay mechanics.

I preferred the start of the expansion it was all about the Zandalari and the Kul Tiras and there problems the growing tensions between the horde and alliance all ending in the Battle Raid, after that it all was down hill with 8.2 with the story just shifting away and both factions was totally Forgotten. I mean you dont even see Talanji after 8.2

Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    I preferred the start of the expansion it was all about the Zandalari and the Kul Tiras and there problems the growing tensions between the horde and alliance all ending in the Battle Raid, after that it all was down hill with 8.2 with the story just shifting away and both factions was totally Forgotten. I mean you dont even see Talanji after 8.2
    But what's changed? All the zones in Zandalar and Kul Tiras revolve around the problem of the Old Gods.

All the zones of Zandalar for certain, since in Zuldazar you deal with the coup of the fanatic Zul, in Nazmir you fight against G'Huun's forces, and in Vol'dun you must stop the sethrak, who have allied themselves with G'Huun.

In Kul Tiras I suppose it's less obvious. Drustvar doesn't have anything Old God-related, but parts of the Tiragarde questline (revolving around Anglepoint Wharf) and the entirety of Stormsong deal with the Old God questline. Also Ashvane, to the surprise of literally nobody, was just an Old God pawn.

In fact, I can't be the only one who noticed this discrepancy between the questing experience and the faction war, which was supposed to be the main theme of the expansion.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    But what's changed? All the zones in Zandalar and Kul Tiras revolve around the problem of the Old Gods.

All the zones of Zandalar for certain, since in Zuldazar you deal with the coup of the fanatic Zul, in Nazmir you fight against G'Huun's forces, and in Vol'dun you must stop the sethrak, who have allied themselves with G'Huun.

In Kul Tiras I suppose it's less obvious. Drustvar doesn't have anything Old God-related, but parts of the Tiragarde questline (revolving around Anglepoint Wharf) and the entirety of Stormsong deal with the Old God questline. Also Ashvane, to the surprise of literally nobody, was just an Old God pawn.

In fact, I can't be the only one who noticed this discrepancy between the questing experience and the faction war, which was supposed to be the main theme of the expansion.
    Well if you watch taliesin and evitel Videos, way back to the start of BFA they make several jokes pretending to be Ion and Josh saying "OH yea BFA is totally a faction war expansion old gods? No whats that no old gods here, just ignore the tentacles "

Of course we "had no idea" when Blizzard specifically said we would not be fighting N'Zoth this expansion.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally not a fan of this excuse, as to me it really just points to a limited imagination.

I mean, look at what they did with Outland, Pandaria, hell the Broken Isles was just an island with elven ruins and naga camps in WC3. These were all fairly narrow concepts to begin with, but Blizzard elaborated the lore and geography to include a wide variety of biomes, organisms, and stories. Even the barely-defined Shadowlands has evolved from "gloomy afterlife plane, probably" to "literally infinite afterlives for the entire universe."

I mean, theoretically, you could have had a Black Empire "continent" with twisted reflections of Nazjatar, the Emerald Nightmare, Ahn'Qiraj, Azjol-Nerub, Pandaria, and the Maelstrom / Ny'alotha all mashed up together. You'd have naga, corrupted nature, the various insectoid races, corrupted Titanic creations, n'raqi, sha, etc. which would surely be more than enough variety. You could bring back all the Old Gods. You could have the final boss be just the weakest of the Void Lords, a taste of things to come.

And that's just one idea off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2020-01-19 at 01:44 PM.

While it was clear since the beginning that we would get Old God stuff in BfA, the expansion was sold first and foremost as a faction war expansion. It was announced as such, both its cinematic opening and features trailer made it clear it was about the factions. All the advertising material, including art, the three comics and 2/3 of the Warbringers shorts (with the last one being shown weeks after the other two) and the novel were all about the reasons behind the war.

Everything was building up to a clear narrative structure: the war would be the Main plot, N'Zoth would be the B plot. THe Old God stuff could be building towards next expansion.

Instead, Blizzard played switched the plots. And this wasn't a change of plans either, it's now clear it was the plan all along to turn the Old God stuff in the main plot and forget the war midway.

This idiotic decision turned what could have been a great expansion into one of the worst narrative nightmares Blizzard ever created. For people who were into BfA's premisse and expected pay-off from all the controversy of the faction war, this ending is incredibly frustrating and underwhelming. For those who hated the faction war, BfA was unnecessarily disappointing from the start.

It didn't need to be so. It should have had a clear narrative focus. It wouldn't take much to make it a proper Old God expansion instead of this complete mess. Forget the war, make Talanji seek the Horde for help. Make Jaina learn of Kul Tiras' problems and go there to help. Allied races could be sought out because both Horde and Alliance were weakened after the Legion invasion. Instead of war campaign, we could have a creepy story exploring Old God lore in new ways. At least narratively, the expansion would have been good.

Or, at least, both stories could have converged in the last patch. Sylvanas and N'Zoth fight for the same thing, and we get involved in a war between Death and Void.

But no, Blizzard tried too hard into tricking us, and ended up pissing off everyone. BfA now competes with WoD as the worst expansion ever.
    Last edited by DeicideUH; 2020-01-19 at 01:53 PM.
    Whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Of course we "had no idea" when Blizzard specifically said we would not be fighting N'Zoth this expansion.
    It's like I knew we'd be fighting N'Zoth, but it literally never occurred to me that meant BfA was going to be an "Old God expansion" because it doesn't look like one. I figured they'd do a rise of the Black Empire expansion or something later on. They even kind of hinted at it in the Azshara Warbringers cinematic. I thought BfA was the lead up to an Old God expansion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Personally not a fan of this excuse, as to me it really just points to a limited imagination.

I mean, look at what they did with Outland, Pandaria, hell the Broken Isles was just an island with elven ruins and naga camps in WC3. These were all fairly narrow concepts to begin with, but Blizzard elaborated the lore and geography to include a wide variety of biomes, organisms, and stories. Even the barely-defined Shadowlands has evolved from "gloomy afterlife plane, probably" to "literally infinite afterlives for the entire universe."

I mean, theoretically, you could have had a Black Empire "continent" with twisted reflections of Nazjatar, the Emerald Nightmare, Ahn'Qiraj, Azjol-Nerub, Pandaria, and the Maelstrom / Ny'alotha all mashed up together. You'd have naga, corrupted nature, the various insectoid races, corrupted Titanic creations, n'raqi, sha, etc. which would surely be more than enough variety. You could bring back all the Old Gods. You could have the final boss be just the weakest of the Void Lords, a taste of things to come.

And that's just one idea off the top of my head.
    The realm of nyalotha is limited, that is the point, making nyalotha then suddenly making some woods that has some new species of creature that is rebelling against the old gods would be stupid.
    the whole point of nylotha is that its just old gods.

also idk if you know, but the old gods were not allies of eachother, they fought eachother to the death very often.
    and with most of them no longer active as they are "dead" nyalotha would just be nzoths minions, none of them naga as naga are transformed elves, nylotha is filled with the old gods minions, like direct children.\yes they could do the twisted versions of old zones, but dont you think epople would complaing "reusing" like they are now, and that would be an entire expansion!

- - - Updated - - -

It's like I knew we'd be fighting N'Zoth, but it literally never occurred to me that meant BfA was going to be an "Old God expansion" because it doesn't look like one. I figured they'd do a rise of the Black Empire expansion or something later on. They even kind of hinted at it in the Azshara Warbringers cinematic. I thought BfA was the lead up to an Old God expansion.
    and you just got it didnt you.
    the whole point of old gods.
    literalty the thing they do.
    "I didnt know this was gunna be the old god expansion, cause it doesent look like one.."
    Exactly.
    thats the old gods, they work in the shadows, you are not supposed to know they are there,
    etc etc, i think you get it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    There are a bunch of other themes they could have touched on in BfA that wouldn't have felt the same. Even between G'huun and N'Zoth, things were designed a bit differently (as far as what their corruption looks like, their followers, and the Old Gods themselves).

8.3 could have been (and should have been) the ultimate Old God experience.
    -Aside from Aqir and Mantid, there are also Nerubians, Silithids, and Qiraji that could have allied with N'Zoth (especially since they made new Silithid models, the Qiraji are next door to Uldum, and we saw Nerubians in Island Expeditions).
    -When we last went to Ulduar at the beginning of Legion, we learned that Yogg-Saron was still somewhat active, with Saronite vapors and Faceless minions still spawning there. The most we heard in 8.3 was that Mimiron closed communications with Ulduar.
    -We could have seen Blood Trolls, who were still active after Uldir before the Battle of Dazar'alor. Likewise, there are likely still creatures related to G'huun (ticks, crawgs, G'huun's faceless, blood beasts, etc), which are nowhere to be seen.
    -The Void Elves generally seem mostly unaffected by the Void ripping Azeroth a new one, which could have been a nice addition to their lore in 8.3, and could have covered the generic purple Void stuff that we've seen.
    -Despite the fact that the Sha were still active in Pandaria in Legion, they're nowhere to be found in 8.3. The powers and looks of the Sha were quite different from most other Old Gods, looking inky instead of the typical Void stuff.
    -The Emerald Nightmare isn't entirely gone, from what we saw of Thros and the Green Dragonflight quest in BfA. Yet, despite it being extremely connected to N'Zoth, we haven't seen any Nightmare dragons or other aesthetics from it in 8.3.
    -The Twilight Dragonflight was active again in Legion with the Shaman Order Hall, and they showed up in Island Expeditions, yet we're seeing "Void Dragons" in 8.3 instead.
    -Likewise, the Black Dragonflight showed up in Islands, but they're nowhere to be found in 8.3 (aside from Wrathion and Ebonhorn).
    -The Infinite Dragonflight got some of their powers from the Old Gods, but we aren't seeing that happen in 8.3.
    -We've seen plenty of mortals allied with the Old Gods/Void (as part of the Twilight's Hammer or another allied group), which are quite limited in number in 8.3. In the past we've seen Vrykul, Drogbar, Dark Irons (allied with Ragnaros still), etc.
    -They could have also written in any number of other Void-corrupted beings from other places if they wanted to, since they could simply use Void portals to bring them there. Think the Pale Orcs, Void-Scarred Krokul, Arakkoa, and Void Ethereals.

Considering this is the last huge push from the Old Gods on Azeroth (for the time being), and with Ny'alotha bleeding into Azeroth, I'm a slight bit surprised they didn't use more of these storylines they had set up from the past. Instead we're fighting just N'Zoth's immediate forces, and Tol'vir whose story goes all the way back to...Island Expeditions.
    1. except rmember those forces serve other old gods, and the old gods dont get along. The mantid are not joining nzoth, they are simply taking advantage of the situation. the mantid serve their one true old god. as do the other forces. the old gods all tried to kill eachother many times, and had wars spanning hundreds to thousands of years.

2.i hadnt heard about him closing coms, i will need to check on that cause in 8.3 hunters do a quest with him.

3. ghuun was not a real old god, and we wiped out their leader, and "old god" so those few left have sorta slunk away into the shadows, as the alliance and horde purged pretty much all of them from nazmir.

4. idk what this is supposed tro be

5. cause in legion they were mere whispers, they were mostly wiped out. and then you bassically finish the job. now they are overshadowed by nzoth's forces.

6.no, but for it to entirely return in only 1 expansion would ferel like absolute bullshit.

7. no the infinite dragonflight has nothing to do with the old gods, idk where you got that, they do wish to fuck with time so the old gods destroy azeroth, as they are manipulated by the old gods into doing so, but they didnt get their power from them.

8.yes we have seen plenty of mortals joining the old gods, but the point of nylotha is it is a place of no mortal, it is the land of the gods. and this will be the first time mortals go there. well maybe other then azshara, we dont know if that was her actually going, or just seeing a vision.

9. yeah but going back to all those old zones people would call lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

There was a rumor ("someone who used to work at Blizzard") that when Blizz found out how much people hated the faction war plot, they "moved up the old gods". Well, rumor are rumors, but I can't help but wonder if the old-god plot was intended for next expansion and the Jailer for the one after that, and that is why they seem so behind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Like I said, I was hoping for maybe the rise of the Black Empire again with some Old God themed zones that looked similar to this at least:

Literally anything but an expansion disguised as a faction war. I would bet the majority of people didn't even have any idea that BfA was the "Old God expansion", the theme of the expansion was not very obvious at all and I would have liked it to be more obviously Old God themed.
    Makes sense to me. The people pointing at clues and mobs don't seem to get it. Imagine doing all the argent dawn faction stuff and fighting in the plaguelands then jumping to Frozen Throne with no Northrend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

5+ Year Old Account
    The issue, as I see it is that:

BfA IS the Old God expansion... but not quite.

BfA IS the Faction War expansion... but not quite.

BfA IS Azshara's expansion... but not quite.

Honestly it would have been better if the AvH skirmishes near the end of Legion hadn't mounted up to WWII scale, while still retaining a high degree of tension between the factions, who would be all out to seek possible allies. However, as the story goes by, we would see that both Alliance and Horde leaderships are being manipulated by the Old Gods/N'Zoth, who want to get rid of those pesky PCs who have managed to unseat even the mighty Sargeras (albeit with a lot of external help). A secondary plot could be Azshara appearing to support N'Zoth, only to be coerced into helping us against him, or else having her scaly ass kicked. You could have had a choice for both Alliance and Horde players, about siding with N'Zoth (aka giving in to his whispers) or resisting him.

Instead, we got a MoP 2.0 that was cut short in its tracks, only to give room for an Azshara who appeared out of nowhere. Yes, we know she had been up to no good for quitesvome time already - but the WAY she was introduced in BfA really makes no sense. It is one of the worst tropes ever, since it makes you feel that nothing of what you did in the first half of the xpac was actually useful. Especially for Alliance players, who obtained a massive military advantage after BoD, only for it to be immediately taken away.

Now N'Zoth being free after his partner/abuser/jailor has been taken down (btw, what happened to Azshara after EP...? Yes, she's alive, so...?) does make sense. Too bad that its in-game implementation sucks massive dick
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

7. no the infinite dragonflight has nothing to do with the old gods, idk where you got that, they do wish to fuck with time so the old gods destroy azeroth, as they are manipulated by the old gods into doing so, but they didnt get their power from them.
    ...What? This isn't even a question or speculation anymore. It was mentioned in the dungeon journal and in the novel Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects years ago.

Now living outside of time, Murozond was once the great Dragon Aspect Nozdormu the Timeless One. After the titans showed him his own death, the tormented Nozdormu was tricked by the Old Gods into trying to subvert his mortality. As a result, Nozdormu shattered the timeways and created the infinite dragonflight... jeopardizing the very future of Azeroth.
    The Old Gods' motivation in doing so was an attempt to erase Thrall from history, so that he would not be able to stop the Hour of Twilight.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Infinite_dragonflight

At the moment they have to rely on mortals to do their jobs, which was because of the dragonflights being weakened with Deathwing's demise/the Dragon Soul/"Age of Mortals." So, how exactly are they supposed to suddenly get these powers, when they can't even do their purpose as a dragonflight anymore? It's not like the powers materialized out of thin air. It's likely not a coincidence that their colors and magic/effects look extremely similar to the Sha as well.

Also, a few other points:

-Yes the Mantid are allied with N'Zoth.
    With the awakening of N'Zoth, Shek'zara, empress of the mantid, pledged her swarm to the old god's will. In service of her dark master, she unleashed her forces upon the Vale of Eternal Blossoms to claim Pandaria in N'Zoth's name.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Grand_Empress_Shek%27zara
    You can also read what the Mantid are saying in Pandaria when they're aggroed, or check out the things they're doing under the mines. They're all working for N'Zoth to rebuild the Black Empire.

-We see plenty of mortals in Ny'alotha, transformed or not. Dark Inquisitor Xanesh is a human, for instance. My point was, I'd like to have seen more varied races that had been driven mad by N'Zoth/were part of the Twilight's Hammer in 8.3 in general (as in, you know, the Vale and Uldum as well). We see a few Tauren, Forsaken, and Humans, but not much else. The Twilight's Hammer aren't even mentioned in 8.3, really, despite being a major force of the Old Gods, even at the start of BfA in Silithus.

-The Blood Trolls were still active in large numbers by the time the Alliance went to attack Dazar'alor. Thing is, "real" Old God or not, G'huun was made from the essence of the Old Gods, and other minions from the Black Empire joined him. As mentioned before, even minions of other Old Gods joined N'Zoth, so there was little reason not to include other Void/Old God-corrupted beings that were the focus earlier in the expansion as well in 8.3.

If the point of all the Old Gods was to corrupt Azeroth through the Void, and that's happening right now, then there should have been a lot more shown in 8.3 than Faceless, K'thir, eyeballs, Mantid, Aqir, and 3 types on mortals in N'Zoth's army. I don't care if there are 4 Blood Trolls left in existence, one could have been a rare that went to the Vale, roused by N'Zoth. I don't care if only a handful of Nerubians are left, or Nightmare Dragons, or Twilight Dragons. Seeing more of the beings/forces that led up to this whole event happening for years would have fleshed out the story so much better. Right now, it feels pretty bare bones.

-The content of this patch, aside from the raid, is all reused areas. The smaller vision in the Vale takes place in the Shrine of Seven Stars. The assaults take place in Uldum and the Vale. The Horrific Visions take place in Stormwind and Orgrimmar. So, adding more would have been more lazy?
    I also don't really know what you're talking about here. I think you're referring to my point about other Void/corrupted creatures (where I listed Arakkoa and Ethereals and such), and in that point I stated that they could have gone to Azeroth via Void portals. Which, the Ethereals did in the Nightborne recruitment quest anyway. If you're talking about another point, I guess I'm not seeing the correlation here.

-MOTHER mentions the Ulduar thing in the starting quests in 8.3. https://www.wowhead.com/guides/visio...sions-assaults
    MOTHER: Accessing facility. Designation: Ulduar.
    MOTHER: Forge of Wills currently operational. Communication protocol terminated by Keeper Mimiron.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Its actually both South Seas AND Old God expansion in one. Who could expect 2 most requested themes mashed together could result in this xD

The ultimate proof that Blizzard shouldn't listen to fanbois on the internet.
    I mean, I want to eat Apples and Pizza right now, that doesn't mean I'll be happy if my worksite canteen prepares me an Apple Pizza

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleloron View Post
    I still kinda expect one after Shadowlands tbh. We’re all chilling in another plane of existence, leaving Azeroth undefended and the all of the Old Gods rise up in our absence and take over the planet. I can see that happening and I would love it. I don’t buy for a second that we can actually kill and destroy them and we know that they have plans within plans of plans and plans on the side with plans for dessert.
    Can’t say I truly believe it... it this is what I am hoping as I, too, was seeing BfA as an intro, just like Draenor had been to Legion.

The latest patch content has pretty visuals but is pretty underwhelming imo. So much wasted potential.

Then Blizzard lied that this was supposed to be a faction war expansion.

What faction war exactly? The only real war was in the pre expansion questline and those were two skirmishes at best (that did have dire consequences though).

When will Blizzard truly dedicate themselves to a faction war that actually feels like a war and plays out until the end without getting overshadowed by something else? It's getting tiresome.

Seems it's only possible in an RTS.