Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Number of characters cap per account

I wonder if Blizzard will ever increase this cap past 50 characters considering they were and will be adding new allied races. It makes sense because I don't want to have to delete my old characters just to be able to make room for new ones and paying for another acc or race change doesn't work for me personally.

I know some of you would say "Wow, you have 50 characters, what do you do with them/need them for?" etc, the game is 15 years old, and with each expansion its been easier to level and have more characters, especially when they removed the faction restrictions per realm so I wanted to try some other race/class combos.

What do you think?

Edit: Pressed M instead of N in Number, damn it!
    Last edited by Shadowfury; 2020-01-19 at 10:00 PM.

Always recruiting exceptional players! Visit http://www.klr-guild.eu/ for more info.

Not happening anytime soon. There was an interview where Blizzard said they had the data and the amount of players actually approaching 50 characters are very few and even if you had 50 they didn't believe you play all of them so just delete a couple.

That said, I think you have half a point with allied races. Maybe with Shadowlands more players reach 50 and they reconsider.
    Last edited by Twdft; 2020-01-19 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Not happening anytime soon. There was an interview where Blizzard said they had the data and the amount of players actually approaching 50 characters are very few and even if you had 50 they didn't believe you play all of them so just delete a couple.
    I might not be playing them all at the same time, but they do have a value for me, for different reasons, and I believe that there are many more people with this problem. Think their decision to enable you to have all 50 characters on one realm is a good start, so we can hope this might end up as a new expansion feature.

Always recruiting exceptional players! Visit http://www.klr-guild.eu/ for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post

That said, I think you have half a point with allied races. Maybe with Shadowlands more players reach 50 and they reconsider.
    Thing is, if so few people are making use of the 50 cap, why would increasing it be a problem? Why would people who aren't already making use of the slots suddenly decide to fill them all up and spam new characters. It's such a nonsense reason for not doing it.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfury View Post
    I might not be playing them all at the same time, but they do have a value for me, for different reasons, and I believe that there are many more people with this problem. Think their decision to enable you to have all 50 characters on one realm is a good start, so we can hope this might end up as a new expansion feature.
    If enough people were hitting the cap for it to be a widespread issue, they would increase the cap. The lack of an increase indicates it's not a widespread issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

I'd imagine that if we ever get to the point where there's 25 races per faction and/or 25 different classes then they'd have to increase the cap. in the meantime it's not too likely as Blizz just don't care about an issue that only affects a small minority of players. especially when they can try to nudge those towards paying for a second account

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    I'd imagine that if we ever get to the point where there's 25 races per faction and/or 25 different classes then they'd have to increase the cap. in the meantime it's not too likely as Blizz just don't care about an issue that only affects a small minority of players. especially when they can try to nudge those towards paying for a second account
    Yeah, can see that, makes sense. Wish tho I made a poll to see how many people have 50 chars on their account. I personally know at least 10, me included, some of them are even using multiple accounts for multiboxing and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Blizzard doesn't believe you can actively play over 50 toons, I completely agree
    Why does it matter if you actively play them?
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

they should but they wont. they hate alts
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Sooo, what do you exactly do on your 5th warrior out of 50 chars?
    "But they dont have to be actiiiiive." Exactly. But when you already own triple or quadruple classes it loses its meaning to delete one or another, as they simply just exist for no purpose at all.

Highly unnecessary.

Even if all those 50 characters were max level there is simply no possible way for one human to play those character to even an über casual level. It's not happening. Simply doing the emissary for the day on 50 characters would take up your whole day.

Because it's a waste of space
    This is 2020, storing a few tens or hundreds of thousands extra characters is not some insane amount of storage space. There's tens of millions of characters being stored from accounts that haven't played the game for years. At least I'm paying a subscription, why are those waste of space characters earning them no money still there instead of getting purged?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Sooo, what do you exactly do on your 5th warrior out of 50 chars?
    "But they dont have to be actiiiiive." Exactly. But when you already own triple or quadruple classes it loses its meaning to delete one or another, as they simply just exist for no purpose at all.

Highly unnecessary.

Even if all those 50 characters were max level there is simply no possible way for one human to play those character to even an über casual level. It's not happening. Simply doing the emissary for the day on 50 characters would take up your whole day.
    Definitely doesn't. Some of those characters have sentimental value, and even if they don't, they have value in the time spent leveling them that might come in handy at some later point where it means I don't have to level from scratch again when switching server(which has happened multiple times when coming back to a server I used to play on)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Thing is, if so few people are making use of the 50 cap, why would increasing it be a problem? Why would people who aren't already making use of the slots suddenly decide to fill them all up and spam new characters. It's such a nonsense reason for not doing it.
    Because doing so requires effort, possibly quite significantly so, for something that only affects a very tiny portion of their playerbase for very little gain. There's no incentive for them to take action.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Because doing so requires effort, possibly quite significantly so, for something that only affects a very tiny portion of their playerbase for very little gain. There's no incentive for them to take action.
    They increased the server specific cap multiple times, clearly increasing character limits isn't some arcane sorcery, and if it is they clowned pretty badly 15+ years ago. Definitely true on the minority part, but I really don't think it's as much effort as you think it is(might still be more effort than the gain from it, though)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

This is 2020, storing a few tens or hundreds of thousands extra characters is not some insane amount of storage space. There's tens of millions of characters being stored from accounts that haven't played the game for years. At least I'm paying a subscription, why are those waste of space characters earning them no money still there instead of getting purged?

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely doesn't. Some of those characters have sentimental value, and even if they don't, they have value in the time spent leveling them that might come in handy at some later point where it means I don't have to level from scratch again when switching server(which has happened multiple times when coming back to a server I used to play on)
    What sentimental value does a WoW character have? What's so different between a gnome or a worgen warrior, when you can race and name change any of them any time? You could literally re-make any character for 25EUR after leveling up.

There is no value in the time spent leveling after you have all the classes (maybe on each faction). Cuz after that point it doesn't matter, objectively. There is nothing one race of a class couldn't do that another could.

Switching servers also doesn't exist anymore cuz we have cross-realm play. Even if you are a mythic raider with 50 active 120's you could realm transfer any time. It would probably cost 4 months of salary to tranfer 50 chars that you obviously actively play all the time but hey, you can.

They increased the server specific cap multiple times, clearly increasing character limits isn't some arcane sorcery, and if it is they clowned pretty badly 15+ years ago. Definitely true on the minority part, but I really don't think it's as much effort as you think it is(might still be more effort than the gain from it, though)
    Server cap isn't the account cap. They've never changed the account cap in the entire history of WoW. And it should be remembered that they basically didn't really know what they were doing back then.

There was also much more incentive to change the server cap, so it could be significantly more costly and still be worthwhile.

Just the testing alone is likely to already make this change unprofitable.

Blizzard doesn't believe you can actively play over 50 toons, I completely agree
    It's easy, let me give you an example.

Timewalking week, login, do a dungeon, turn in the quest, logout, repeat 49 times, only like 8 dungeons a day. I usually finish on thursday or friday though and I have to do 5 dungeons on my class mains so 12*5=60 and lets assume it's BC week so all but my newest alts can do it adds 4 70+ toons to that (64) and I have 46 120s - 12 class mains mentioned earlier gives us 34 for a grand total of 98 dungeons in 7 days is 14 a day but like I said I'll finish Friday at the latest so I normally do 24 dungeons a day. Ezpz.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 123youshowme View Post
    Just buy a second account
    I did It's just annoying having to log on a second account, just charge me double for sub fee and double for xpac and double my character cap.

What's the difference between me having a capped account and a second account vs my double idea? It's the same amount of fucking space being taken up so that argument is out the window.

- - - Updated - - -

lolol

But seriously though if people want to keep fucking around while Blizz adds allied races every xpac until it becomes a problem that's on them. I personally prefer to address problems before they become an issue.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfury View Post
    I wonder if Blizzard will ever increase this cap past 50 characters considering they were and will be adding new allied races. It makes sense because I don't want to have to delete my old characters just to be able to make room for new ones and paying for another acc or race change doesn't work for me personally.

I know some of you would say "Wow, you have 50 characters, what do you do with them/need them for?" etc, the game is 15 years old, and with each expansion its been easier to level and have more characters, especially when they removed the faction restrictions per realm so I wanted to try some other race/class combos.

What do you think?

Edit: Pressed M instead of N in Number, damn it!
    one reason they want peoples money for using the online services so its unlikely to increase the amount you can have on one server
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

One of my reasons why I would love this, I don't really want to delete any of my existing characters, because I ve spent some time on them at certain point and they do have value to me. They don't even have to be max level, for example I still have my level 70 rogue with glaives and brutal set, or some characters I used to play over years in different expansions but just left them there. I want to be able to create allied races w/o having to delete some of these characters so I could get their heritage armor and to try a different class/race combo as I said.

Another thing I'd like to add, with Shadowlands and level squish and new leveling system, it would make sense even more in my opinion. Will see what future brings.

Because they aren't deleting characters you already have, they're just saying 50 is the limit. And that's fine, because that's really all you need
    why does it bother you?
    Last edited by Traveler Voltin; 2020-01-19 at 11:55 PM.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor