View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    That is something neither of us know.
    It really isn't.

For starters...

What is Scotland's public spending deficit? Does it fall in with EU rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I am not confused at all - you simply do not know what you are talking about.

If Johnson wants to he can either through primary or secondary legislation alter the end date of the transition period. The Benn Act is completely irrelevant to Johnson's ability to alter the date on which the UK leaves the EU a it is not no longer in place and had he had the majority prior to the GE - as he does now - he could have either nullified by passing the Withdrawal Agreement (which he did this December) or he could, if he wished, altered or repealed it altogether.

A law being a new one does not mean that it does not amend an existing law and Johnson can alter his end date by exactly the process. There is no requirement for a two-thirds majority to amend an existing law or pass a new one, the only Act which requires this is the Fixed Term Parliament Act.
    And your still trying to put words in my mouth.
    Done with this until you learn to read and form an actual argument without resorting to strawman.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    And your still trying to put words in my mouth.
    Done with this until you learn to read and form an actual argument without resorting to strawman.
    I am not.

Your assertion that Johnson's government cannot - if it wants - alter the end date of the transition period is simply false.

I think from the fact that you don't know how the UK parliament works and seem unable to understand how you are contradicting yourself that that would be for the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    It really isn't.

For starters...

What is Scotland's public spending deficit? Does it fall in with EU rules?
    Plenty of time to adjust it. So yeah, I take it you also don't know. It was a good talk.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Plenty of time to adjust it. So yeah, I take it you also don't know. It was a good talk.
    Really? A little over 15 minutes ago you didn't know whether Scotland would be able to meet the same membership criteria as other member states and now you're somehow able to say that Scotland can adjust its spending to meet EU rules - despite being unaware of it before I pointed it out.

That is a really odd but unsurprising conclusion to reach.

I am not.

Your assertion that Johnson's government cannot - if it wants - alter the end date of the transition period is simply false.

I think from the fact that you don't know how the UK parliament works and seem unable to understand how you are contradicting yourself that that would be for the best.
    Congratulations you managed to make a post without resorting to making stuff up that I wasn't talking about.

You are indeed correct that there is no such thing in the UK's system. I previously googled it and obviously checked the wrong thing, woops my bad.

Ps.
    Do your self a favor and reread the conversation, note how I no where imply that the Benn Act is still in effect. I merely used it as an example of a thing that happened in the past that forced the PM to act against his own wishes.
    You seem to have completely missed that, several times now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Congratulations you managed to make a post without resorting to making stuff up that I wasn't talking about.

You are indeed correct that there is no such thing in the UK's system. I previously googled it and obviously checked the wrong thing, woops my bad.

Ps.
    Do your self a favor and reread the conversation, note how I no where imply that the Benn Act is still in effect. I merely used it as an example of a thing that happened in the past that forced the PM to act against his own wishes.
    You seem to have completely missed that, several times now.
    Thank you!

The Benn Act - or any other Act for that matter - is completely irrelevant. The reason it forced Johnson to act against his wishes was not because laws cannot be altered, amended, repealed or that any of this requires a two-thirds majority but because Johnson did not have a working majority to do any of those things.

He does now and if he needs to do any of the above he is perfectly able to.

I haven't missed anything out. You don't understand what you're talking about.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really? A little over 15 minutes ago you didn't know whether Scotland would be able to meet the same membership criteria as other member states and now you're somehow able to say that Scotland can adjust its spending to meet EU rules - despite being unaware of it before I pointed it out.

That is a really odd but unsurprising conclusion to reach.
    So what is Scotland's public spending deficit and does it fall in with EU rules?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulipmantra View Post
    There is a constitutionally agreed set of rules for the timetable around elections.
    There is no timetable around referenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    There is no timetable around referenda.
    So we should have stuck to the 1973 result of the referendum to remain in the common market. Got it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Dear god, I just read some of the comments on that Torygraph article. It's like I've disturbed an entire hive of dribbles. I feel tainted just by association.
    That's a really tame hive, want to know what people in the UK really think? Check out the comments from the bong for brexit crowdfunding campaign as we all come together and look forward to celebrating this joyous occasion. Half way to the half a million quid needed in just 2 days...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/bigbenbongforbrexit

13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    That's a really tame hive, want to know what people in the UK really think? Check out the comments from the bong for brexit crowdfunding campaign as we all come together and look forward to celebrating this joyous occasion. Half way to the half a million quid needed in just 2 days...
    Why would you desecrate a national landmark like that?

That was quite funny but I much prefer his earlier work and it certainly wasn't as good as the stuff he did with Paul Whitehouse or Kathy Burke

Actually that doesn't seem like a very successful campaign frankly given the number of large donors and the exposure they got.

I'm tempted to start a campaign to blast the anthem of the European Union out of a sound system mounted on multiple vehicles and I'm fairly certain there are enough affluent remainers who would support that. Not that I really care either way I would just love to see the spluttering faces of all the old farts who voted for this shit.

So TLDR me: is it May's deal in 9 days for real now, or another extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Morry View Post
    So TLDR me: is it May's deal in 9 days for real now, or another extension?
    Boris's deal within 11 days or who knows what happens.
    Technically possible that Parliament forces Boris to ask for yet another extension but considering the new makeup of the Commons I consider that unlikely.

Note that the deal has already passed the House of Commons and is currently in the House of Lords, they may make some suggestions for changes that the Commons can implement or vote down before the Lords cast the final vote. I don't think they are expected to vote it down tho.
    Last edited by Gorsameth; 2020-01-20 at 12:12 PM.

And Boris's deal is basically the same as May's right? Soft Brexit to avoid hard Irish border?

And Boris's deal is basically the same as May's right? Soft Brexit to avoid hard Irish border?
    Nope, it's border in the Irish Sea to avoid a hard Irish border. While ignoring what that means for NI customs, because if you just ignore things like that they vanish. Apparently.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

If I were Irish I'd be picketing for reunification about twice per week. Our Boris doesn't give a fuck about the Irish anyway.

Boris's deal puts a Hard(ish) border in the Irish Sea, effectively placing Northern_Ireland outside the UK to avoid a problem with the Good Friday Agreement.

Its a full separation from the EU and allows for the UK to diverge heavily from EU trade regulations because it will be separated from the EU market by the border in the Irish Sea.