Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Apparently the fact that Classic has issues with Bots is a forbidden topic

So. Why everyone's been so riled up when the topic of bots in Classic is brought up?

These legitimately ruin the game but nobody seems to care. Even Blizzard.
    Last edited by Wiedzemir; 2020-01-21 at 11:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they sort of care, just not enough to hire people to handle it. They rely exclusively on the automated system, which will never be able to get even half the bots, which again is why the botters even go for it, becuase they know they can keep it above the startcost in subscription fees.

I share your grief, best you can do is report them normally, then report them through a ticket, then make a post on the forum, and hope several hundred people do the same to where the higher ups feel forced to act.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine Blizzard will ban in waves much like they do on live. It's not that they don't care, it's just not their biggest priority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiedzemir View Post
    So. Why everyone's been so riled up when the topic of bots in Classic is brought up?

These legitimately ruin the game but nobody seems to care. Even Blizzard.
    For the 970th time:

When Blizz learns about someone botting they investigate how its being done, what programs, etc, so that they can break the bot and ban other people using it in waves. They aren't going to just ban one guy potentially doing something, they try and nuke the problem at its root whenever possible.

To say they don't care is stupid. They have banned THOUSANDS of people, often all at once, over botting and automated gameplay. Back in Cata I think around... 30? of my server's most prominent players all just like, disappeared one week right? Turns out they were all banned for doing shit like that. Some of them eventually got to come back but a few of the bans were permanent.

Blizz has even sued companies/people for making bot programs. If they didn't care they wouldn't bother.

TLDR: just because they don't address the problem the way you think they should, doesn't mean they don't address it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I imagine Blizzard will ban in waves much like they do on live. It's not that they don't care, it's just not their biggest priority.
    Of course it will be in waves. They'd be stupid to go individual basis becase that will require a lot of resources and will raise awarness among them. Better to investigate, accurately track them and then ban all of them and disrupt/detect what they were using.

People may not care because it helps the economy who knows

The bots are really damn bad on my server. At one point, in the morning, about 10-15% of the entire population of my server looked to be bots. Mid you, that was checking the people outside the cities, and not in a battleground.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    For the 970th time:

When Blizz learns about someone botting they investigate how its being done, what programs, etc, so that they can break the bot and ban other people using it in waves. They aren't going to just ban one guy potentially doing something, they try and nuke the problem at its root whenever possible.

To say they don't care is stupid. They have banned THOUSANDS of people, often all at once, over botting and automated gameplay. Back in Cata I think around... 30? of my server's most prominent players all just like, disappeared one week right? Turns out they were all banned for doing shit like that. Some of them eventually got to come back but a few of the bans were permanent.

Blizz has even sued companies/people for making bot programs. If they didn't care they wouldn't bother.

TLDR: just because they don't address the problem the way you think they should, doesn't mean they don't address it.
    But they didn't remove the guy I encountered within the same day I reported him!!!!!
    Error 404 - Signature not found

people always bring this up and Blizzard behind the scenes is face palming and praying that people learn to just shut up about it. they allow bots to work and run for a set period of time because it allows people to feel comfortable and it allows word to travel that the bot is working and everything is great, and then they ban all the cheaters in a wave.

if they banned all bots each week, people who are cheaters would look for other ways to cheat that aren't botting and then you would have the weekly ban wave as well as a bunch of cheaters trying to break the game in ways that won't get caught by warden. by allowing people to cheat a bit they are setting a trap and it has proven to be incredibly effective in getting rid of massive amounts of cheaters.

now, of course it sucks that we have to deal with these bots and cheaters for a few extra weeks/months while this trap is being set and more people fall into it, but the end result is a better and cleaner game. take comfort in knowing that when these bots do get banned the people who did it will lose all their level 60's and all their mats/gold, they will either need to quit or come back again and play the correct way, and it will be a LONG road for them to get back to 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    But they didn't remove the guy I encountered within the same day I reported him!!!!!
    Either they are putting names into boxes and then stacking them for a future ban or you will need give some time to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    Either they are putting names into boxes and then stacking them for a future ban or you will need give some time to investigate.
    Figured the amount of exclamation marks would make it obvious it was sarcasm.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

It's literally the same bot programs that were used on THAT ONE BIG private server, so it's not like it's unknown or some secret botting tech being put to use.

Especially the leveling bots and the feralas & dustwallow farm bots.

Just curious, can you explain why you believe bots are game breaking? What effects are they causing to the server and you personally? I'm not implying anything, just want to understand your point of view.

The game should be renamed to world of botcraft. I reported a bot in november.. it is still farming on the same spot. Its like blizzard doesnt even care anymore about gold sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    The game should be renamed to world of botcraft. I reported a bot in november.. it is still farming on the same spot. Its like blizzard doesnt even care anymore about gold sellers.
    Gold sellers succeed because people buy. They would have gone out of business a long time go if people didn't buy, but business is booming better than ever before.

Bots in classic? That's 100% authentic vanilla experience. Don't change it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Figured the amount of exclamation marks would make it obvious it was sarcasm.
    I am bad at noticing sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    I think the people who buy the gold aren't the people who have the time to play the game all day, like the Twitch streamer Frostadamus for instance. It's the casual dads who work, have a busy life, and want to make the most of the little time they have. Another reason casuals are so filthy, that they hamper the game for the hardcore even when they're not playing.

AV filled with characters that aren't even leaving the spawn point or auto-run in the wall.
    Devaluation of the AH prices for resources and craftables.
    Devaluation of the BoE items from dungeons.
    Directly affecting the Honor standings of literally everyone on the server.
    24/7 resource spawn points camping.
    etc.
    Gotcha. Once I'm done with AV, all of these things would be a positive for me lol

That's why those who buy gold should also be banned but I guess Blizzard has decided "ah well, subs are subs".

- - - Updated - - -

Guess you're the example of "you think you do but you don't". Ah well.
    I dont understand. My farm is 90% raw gold from vendors. The price of things being devalued on the AH is a positive for me because it gives me more buying power.

It will be in ban waves. The sad thing is likely a lot of them will be rank 14 by then and the damage will be done even if they sit for a couple months for the ban.