Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If the current WoW timeline was an aberration...

That had been manipulated by the old gods to maximise their chances of recovery, and we were going to reset it... what expansion events would you choose as the reset point?

For me, I would choose Cataclysm and never turn Garrosh into a monster - which also means Theramore would still stand..

Burning Crusade before they butchered Kael'thas and Illidan's characters. Everything thereafter that has been bad to lore would have subsequently been avoided.

Definitely Legion before Sylvanas became warchief.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Burning Crusade before they butchered Kael'thas and Illidan's characters. Everything thereafter that has been bad to lore would have subsequently been avoided.
    Excuse me, what? How does the lore for those characters effect everything that came after?

Quote Originally Posted by Diatethis View Post
    Excuse me, what? How does the lore for those characters effect everything that came after?
    I mean the reboot point would present the opportunity to also alter any future bad lore decisions for the better. Lore started going downhill in Burning Crusade.

Just WoW? Probably after WotLK, before the shattering.
    All of Warcraft? Before Warcraft 3.

Toss up for me between TBC and WoD.

TBC was just a mess all around. It wasted at least 3 good characters are throw away villains. And the Naaru / Light nonsense deserves to be retconned. I think the story would of be stronger if the game took a different direction after Vanilla.

Halfway through MoP.

Garrosh lives and SoO hasn't happened (yet) so BFA can happen a tad more natural. WoD never happens and Legion can happen AFTER BFA. So... MoP > BfA > Legion being the order. Sylvanas never becomes warchief, but can set up her own story leading to Shadowlands in a manner more fitting of her.

I just dislike how we went from war to truce to war in such a short amount of time with many of the same leaders, instead of just one war taking place within two expansions, then banding together for Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Post-WotLK for me. Garrosh never becomes Warchief, Thrall does not abdicate, Cairne doesn't die, and Sylvanas does not journey to Icecrown Citadel to commit suicide. A new history proceeds outward from there, taking a shape I can only guess at. Alliance/Horde conflict remains in play, but on a different footing entirely.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    Halfway through MoP.

Garrosh lives and SoO hasn't happened (yet) so BFA can happen a tad more natural. WoD never happens and Legion can happen AFTER BFA. So... MoP > BfA > Legion being the order. Sylvanas never becomes warchief, but can set up her own story leading to Shadowlands in a manner more fitting of her.

I just dislike how we went from war to truce to war in such a short amount of time with many of the same leaders, instead of just one war taking place within two expansions, then banding together for Legion.
    I agree with the stance you had, because it made no sense to have Legion where we all team up with our classes where both factions fought together and then go "Yeah, I know we fought on the same side and all, but I am going to burn down your race's home now." To my Night Elf Paladin follower.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Toss up for me between TBC and WoD.

TBC was just a mess all around. It wasted at least 3 good characters are throw away villains. And the Naaru / Light nonsense deserves to be retconned. I think the story would of be stronger if the game took a different direction after Vanilla.
    indeed, I'm not sure if people realise all a reboot could mean, it doens't necessarily mean all the lore is scrapped, it allows anything from suurgical alterations, to massive changes. It also doesn't invalidate the content that has happened.. all those events happened for you , so when you level you go through all of it before the reset point changes everything if to desired by the devs.. it could be used as a new wow game or the next rework/remake. - although for this purpose, it is purely speculation if you as if you were telling ththe story properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I agree with the stance you had, because it made no sense to have Legion where we all team up with our classes where both factions fought together and then go "Yeah, I know we fought on the same side and all, but I am going to burn down your race's home now." To my Night Elf Paladin follower.
    BfA really shouldn't have happened...after all the Alliance and Horde been through and so many blindly accepting Sylvanas' death orders?

5 minutes ago when I dropped that Tigole and Furor's Ice Cream cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

5+ Year Old Account
    Patch 1.7.0

At that point the story was still salvageable, afterwards it got more and more contradicting and started with the "epic" world ending threats.
    Last edited by George Lucas; 2020-01-21 at 07:27 AM.

Literally doesn't matter unless Blizzard cleans house in their writing team whatever new story was made would be just as bad as what was being replaced.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    BfA really shouldn't have happened...after all the Alliance and Horde been through and so many blindly accepting Sylvanas' death orders?
    I can understand a few glory hounds or the Forsaken following her. There could be some Blood elves too.

The Goblins make sense too, because they focus on money over anything else and war is money for them.

But, there would be a lot that would chose not to follow her at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Literally doesn't matter unless Blizzard cleans house in their writing team whatever new story was made would be just as bad as what was being replaced.
    Well, one problem is that the writing team is divided. That is why we have the Horde attacking that one town in Stormsong Valley and there is nothing referencing it on the Horde side. You have one team writing the overall story of the expansion and at least one other team writing for the zones/quests.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Don't you trust they might redeem him in shadowlands?
    #boycottchina

They shouldve done wrath to wrap up the essential azeroth plot threads before going into outer space and fightning sci fi demons, it's so jarring. Unfortunately they felt that they didnt have the tech to deliver wrath b4 bc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Don't you trust they might redeem him in shadowlands?
    Hope yes, trust? No.

I actually don't think that's a good idea.. what would be better is have Shadowlands end boss win and destroy Azeroth.

We wake up 10k years later in a completely changed world.
    No more time travel in any form, at all.. ever. That whole thing is a mess, nonsense and I think ruins a lot of immersion and lore in the game.
    Many important lore characters can also survive or brought back.
    Tone down all the sci-fi and modern tech stuff. We're literally flipping between space battles and Titan nukes to WW2 level bombers and tanks to peeps fighting with swords and bows. Does it make any sense at all? Nope.

If that can't happen. End of Classic - End of WotLK. Somewhere around there, just retcon a few things maybe.