Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Computer turned off by itself.

I was gone for almost an hour, and my computer tower shut off. I turned it on, and my tabs were still up.

Should I be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    I was gone for almost an hour, and my computer tower shut off. I turned it on, and my tabs were still up.

Should I be worried?
    it would of went into sleep mode as usually all tabs would close if it fully shut down
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Did it completely shut off or was it like sleep/hibernation? (meaning when you started it again did the motherboard logo show up with the option to go into the BIOS?)

The tabs you are talking about are browser tabs or windows explorer tabs?

I've had my computer shut off without warning before (not related to power outages). I mean, I'm sure most of us have. There's a number of possibilities why it turned off. This doesn't really give us enough information to narrow it down, but that information may not even be available.

I want to ask first of all, were you present when the computer shut down? If not, do you have a battery back up? I mean, I'm assuming you didn't have a power outage, but if that's what it was, then that's nothing to fret about. Likewise it could be your battery back up getting old if you do have one--they last 2-3 years before they start acting up in most cases.

I couldn't tell you why your PC shut down without warning, but provided you can turn it back on without any noticeable problems, you are probably okay.

Heck, I once had my PC shut down without warning and the power button wasn't working... had me worried, so I shut off the power and turned it back on, and it ran like there was nothing wrong. This was a long time ago. I will warn you though that you should clean out the inside of your PC now and then to prevent it form having any chance of overheating, especially if you have pets. It's probably something you already know, but... just in case.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2020-01-21 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maell View Post
    Did it completely shut off or was it like sleep/hibernation? (meaning when you started it again did the motherboard logo show up with the option to go into the BIOS?)

The tabs you are talking about are browser tabs or windows explorer tabs?

Browser tabs.

It went into the boot screen, then it showed all my tabs were still there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    I've had my computer shut off without warning before (not related to power outages). There's a number of possibilities why it turned off.

I want to ask first of all, were you present when the computer shut down? If not, do you have a battery back up? I mean, I'm assuming you didn't have a power outage, but if that's what it was, then that's nothing to fret about. Likewise it could be your battery back up getting old if you do have one--they last 2-3 years before they start acting up in most cases.

I couldn't tell you why your PC shut down without warning, but provided you can turn it back on without any noticeable problems, you are probably okay.
    I was at the dentist. I wasn't there when it shut down.

I was at the dentist. I wasn't there when it shut down.
    Did any of your clocks in your house get reset? Was there any sign of an outage?

Also, did your PC perform an update when it started up? Sometimes computers will shut themselves down to update without your consent. Again, I apologize if these seem like obvious questions here, but it's good to eliminate these things as possibilities.

Did any of your clocks in your house get reset? Was there any sign of an outage?
    No. All the clocks were fine.

No. All the clocks were fine.
    Huh. Strange. What about an update?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how old is your computer, and is it a desktop or laptop? What operating system?

Huh. Strange. What about an update?
    No updates.

It'll be 6 years old in October, and it's a desktop.

Go to your windows explorer and check if there is a folder in C:/Windows/Minidump. If there is check if there is a file that has the date and time the shutdown happened.
    If there is that means it was a blue screen error and that might be a problem with your pc. Otherwise it was most likely a spike that shut it down.

If it does happen again then it should be looked into it, but since you're asking for help here it might be hard to explain what to look for when trying to find the root of the problem.

And btw the browser tabs remaining open is nothing to worry about, it's a feature of the browsers/win 10.

No, there isn't a file with today's date.

Sounds like it just went to sleep/hibernation. It's not abnormal for them to do a mini boot up sequence when waking up and then putting you back exactly where you left off. If it had actually shut down, you wouldn't have gotten your browser tabs back and would likely have been met with a "windows didn't shut down normally...." message when you turned it back on.

Regardless, I don't think there's much for you to worry about unless you're seeing issues elsewhere as well (low or slow performance, overheating, etc...)

Most likely it has gone to hibernation. To be sure you can go to the event viewer and check if there was an event marked as critical in the last 24h. If there isn't one then it is most likely that it has gone to hibernation. Maybe some windows update change your settings but you didn't noticed it until now.

Btw did you had any other program running when u left or was just the browser open?

10+ Year Old Account
    thats how they start man kill it kil it before it becomes self aware

i had ths problem few months ago

i had to nuy new keyboard as the old one was defective and the multi media buttons on it automatically sent signals that put computer to sleep

There are logs on windows machines that give you information about situations such as this. You can google how to view them and then google what the log has in it to start figuring out why it shut down.

Tabs shouldn't be up after shut down does your keyboard have sleep/hibernate button? If so check if there is some gung inside the button

Now my computer went to sleep while I was unloading the dishwasher. I was gone maybe 5 minutes.

Check the windows energy settings. Maybe something reset it. Windows 10 default setting for sleep is 10 mins I believe.
    Just in case do a full sweep with your AV of choice and install malwarebytes and do a full scan with it. After the full scan you can unistall it. If two AVs are on the same pc things can get weird.

Most computers have a failsafe where if the processor reaches a certain temperature it cuts power so that it doesn't damage itself. If you say it's 6 years old and you never cleaned it, then it's probably clogged with dust and doesn't cool properly.