Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    FIRST DUNE REMAKE FOOTAGE DESERVES HIGH PRAISE AND IS COMPARED TO LORD OF THE RINGS.

https://magviral.com/first-dune-rema...-of-the-rings/
    By Jackie Austin -January 19, 2020

First Dune Remake Footage deserves high praise and is compared to Lord of the Rings

The first dune The footage was screened. The preview footage was shown to a small group of industry experts and has already been described as “epic”. The main photography was completed not too long ago, and Denis Villeneuve is currently in the post-production phase to prepare the long-awaited film for release later this year. The footage shown was mixed with cast interviews and behind-the-scenes footage. It doesn’t look like it’s going to be released. So don’t expect to see it soon.

Science fiction novelist Brian Clement was one of the happy viewers of the first dune Footage and he shared his thoughts online for fans. First, the footage had no completed special effects, although Clement describes the cinematography as “beautiful” while saying, “I’m not exaggerating when I say that a lot of people will get goose bumps / tears when they see this film.” I could!). Heck, if you see the footage that I saw, you will. “The author had to choose his words carefully to avoid problems with Warner Bros.

dune has been made or attempted to be made more than once over the years. Denis Villeneuve has prepared his work for him because the fans are curious whether he will be able to adapt Frank Herbert’s iconic source material for the screen or not. According to Brian Clement, Villeneuve did it. He had this to say and added some pretty crazy comparisons.

“As a follow-up to my opinion new dune I think this will blow people away like LOTR did 20 years ago, like Star Wars did 40 years ago. It’s not Jodorowsky or Lynch, but maybe Villeneuve filmed the incredible. ‘

During the new dune Probably not like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Brian Clement is certain that the film will shape the world of cinema sustainably, as the films mentioned above did. Clement described the footage as a mixture of “dark realism and dreamy images” that sounds like Blade Runner 2049. The promotional material also included some of Timothee Chalamet’s settings as Paul Atreides, including some in his still image.

A small section of Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen was also shown in the dune Footage, along with a tiny piece of Jason Momoa. Brian Clement went on to say that the actor’s choice for Kynes will be a surprise to the audience, while Dave Bautista appears to look “creepy” in the footage. Clement doesn’t know when the fans will see the said material or the first trailer. However, if you know that the promotional material is available, a trailer may be on the go. We just have to wait and see what Denis Villeneuve did with Frank Herbert’s book. You can find more footage descriptions below thanks to Brian Clement’s Twitter account.

I am now in my office with one of my sci-fi fan friends and we are talking about like mine dune Tweet exploded and how it kills us that we can’t share the details we saw in the preview!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FatGandalf View Post
    The casting of Dastmalchian as Piter De Vries is insanely good.
    We still don't know who will play the emperor Shaddam IV...this bothers me..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-01-21 at 10:32 PM.

I watched Bladerunner 2049 twice in IMAX and frankly wish I could go watch it again. It was such an amazing audiovisual experience. I have complete faith in Denis Villeneuve to make Dune (2020) just as good, but we'll see whether or not this one manages to be a commercial success given Bladerunner's poor performance at the box office.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    I watched Bladerunner 2049 twice in IMAX and frankly wish I could go watch it again. It was such an amazing audiovisual experience. I have complete faith in Denis Villeneuve to make Dune (2020) just as good, but we'll see whether or not this one manages to be a commercial success given Bladerunner's poor performance at the box office.
    It does has a higher chance due to armies being involved,
    like house atreides, house harkonnen, sardaukar, fremen etc.

explosions draw in a larger crowd, which was lacking in 1st n 2nd Blade Runner movies, they both flopped...

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-06-18 at 07:12 PM.

Hopefully the scripts for Villeneuve's Dune movies are more Arrival and less Blade Runner 2049 or Sicario. Given the nature of the book I have my doubts.

It's doa for me.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Hopefully the scripts for Villeneuve's Dune movies are more Arrival and less Blade Runner 2049 or Sicario. Given the nature of the book I have my doubts.
    Arrival? It's world war one in space...

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Arrival? It's world war one in space...
    I don't really know what you mean by this.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    I don't really know what you mean by this.
    Arrival is about a linguist trying to decipher weird alien writing..there's no action or adventure.

Dune is like ww1 Lawrence of Arabia in space, incl giant armies with future tech, futuristic tanks n what not...why u think Dune is like arrival I don't understand..

Arrival is about a linguist trying to decipher weird alien writing..there's no action or adventure.

Dune is like ww1 Lawrence of Arabia in space, incl giant armies with future tech, futuristic tanks n what not...why u think Dune is like arrival I don't understand..
    What I mean is that Arrival has a well-written script and the latter two films do not, and that given the difficulty in adapting Dune prior to this film and the nature of the subject text, I doubt the Dune films will be well-written.

Dune is not particularly akin to the World War - there is no messianic revolutionary figure in either World War, for one - so I did not really get the comparison.
    Last edited by Mahourai; 2020-01-23 at 09:12 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    While I would love to see a Blade Runner 3, first two flopped n on that alone its probably the last we'll see of noir LA...

Blade Runner 2049 Director Wants To Make A Spinoff, Not A Sequel.

https://screenrant.com/blade-runner-...l-spinoff/amp/
    BY SANDY SCHAEFER – ON JAN 23, 2020 IN MOVIE NEWS

Although he wants to return to the Blade Runner universe, director Denis Villeneuve is more interested in making a spinoff or solo film, rather than a Blade Runner 2049 sequel. A few years back, Villeneuve undertook the intimidating task of making a followup to Ridley Scott's 1982 movie Blade Runner. An adaptation of Philip K. Dick's sci-fi novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Blade Runner went from a box office disappointment upon release to being regarded as a masterpiece of its genre in the decades thereafter. Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049 was no slouch either, winning two Oscars (for cinematography and VFX) and cementing its director as one of the most respected names in sci-fi filmmaking working today.

Unfortunately, Blade Runner 2049 also followed in its predecessor's footsteps by under-performing at the box office, taking in $260 million worldwide on a budget somewhere between $150-185 million. Going by the old rule of thumb than a movie needs to double its budget at the box office to make a profit, the Blade Runner sequel lost money and plans for additional films have since been abandoned. However, should the chance present itself, Villeneuve would love to take another crack at the franchise.

Speaking to Empire for its 100 Greatest Movies of the Century issue (with Blade Runner 2049 coming in at #45), Villeneuve described the Blade Runner universe as "an inspiring place" he would love to revisit in a movie "unconnected" from the previous two. He went on to explain why he's more interested in a standalone or spinoff Blade Runner movie, as opposed to a more straightforward Blade Runner 3.

“The problem is have is the word ‘sequel’. I think cinema needs original stories. But if you ask me if I’d like to revisit this universe in a different way, I can say yes. It would need to be a project on its own. Something disconnected from both other movies. A detective noir story set in the future... I wake up sometimes in the night dreaming about it."

Part of what makes Blade Runner 2049 great is the film operates like a standalone movie for a good chunk of its runtime, keeping its references to Scott's movie to a minimum until the plot necessitates them. In fact, Blade Runner lead Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) doesn't even show up in person until the third act, with Ryan Gosling's replicant K serving as the main protagonist up until that point. Some people have even admitted they wished Deckard wasn't a part of the story at all and Blade Runner 2049 had carried over the world and themes about consciousness from Scott's film without bringing any of its characters back. You can see why Villeneuve would be interested in taking the next logical step and breaking away from the original Black Runner's narrative completely, were he to get the chance to explore another detective noir plotline in the property's vision of the future.

The Blade Runner franchise will live on thanks to the upcoming Blade Runner: Black Lotus animated series (which Adult Swim is producing), but another live-action film is unlikely to happen in the wake of Blade Runner 2049's commercial failure, be it a sequel or not. Of course, Villeneuve will be able to scratch his sci-fi itch in other ways with his upcoming Dune movie adaptation. The film will only adapt the first half of Frank Herbert's classic 1965 novel, leaving Villeneuve to continue telling the story of Arrakis and House Atreides in a second movie, should his first installment prove a box office success. Still, who knows: for years it seemed like Blade Runner 2049 was never going to happen, so there may yet be hope for Villeneuve's dreams of a spinoff/standalone followup.
    Since Dune is filmed two movies at once it'll be some time for Denis to do anything else..

Unless Blade Runner becomes a streamed show..

10+ Year Old Account
    While I would love to see a Blade Runner 3, first two flopped n on that alone its probably the last we'll see of noir LA...

Since Dune is filmed two movies at once it'll be some time for Denis to do anything else..

Unless Blade Runner becomes a streamed show..
    Sorry if this is common knowledge but are you saying it's going to be two movies? Like how the Hobbit movies are (well three but you know what I mean)?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sirmixalot View Post
    Sorry if this is common knowledge but are you saying it's going to be two movies? Like how the Hobbit movies are (well three but you know what I mean)?
    Ah, you caught my mistake, I was thinking about some other movie.. (add that I'm tired af from work n lack of sleep), Denis wanted to film both movies at the same time, but hasn't started on the 2nd, maybe the studio is unsure cuz of blade runner flop n are withholding the monies for now..

Yes, the plan is two movies, but they are first half of the first dune book, so there's potentially going to be more, dunno..

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-01-24 at 05:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Word, thanks for the clarification. Now get some sleep!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sirmixalot View Post
    Word, thanks for the clarification. Now get some sleep!
    Never! Now I need to to 8.3 intro quests for my 10+ alts!

5+ Year Old Account
    Logo of movie shown at some french convention or whatevers, they tried to keep it hidden, dunno why

This youtuber takes a deep dive into this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxoOeeIGGXU

- - - Updated - - -

Dune’s Kyle MacLachlan Shares His Thoughts On Upcoming Remake.

By Andrew Marshall 2 days ago

Kyle MacLachlan has given his support to Timothée Chalamet in Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming reboot of science fiction classic Dune and stated his reaction to the film being remade.

Chalamet, who came to prominence in the last few years with noted performances in the likes of Call Me By Your Name and Lady Bird, will take over the central role of Paul Atreides, the story’s hero and one of the biggest Mary Sues in the history of fiction. He travels to the desert planet of Arrakis, the only source in the universe of the mind-expanding drug melange that allows for space travel, after his father, Duke Leto, is granted stewardship of the place by the galactic emperor. Of the task of portraying the character and the existence of a remake, MacLachlan had this to say:

“There will be a couple of us out there, running around, there’s plenty of room I think. Timothée I think will do a fantastic job, I’m very much looking forward to the vision he has. David Lynch is, of course, a very specific vision, so this will be something completely different I’m sure. Why not have both stand on their own merits?”

MacLachlan, of course, was the star of the original Dune movie, directed by David Lynch in 1984 after such luminaries as Alejandro Jodorowsky and Ridley Scott took a pass at the material. Although having gathered a reputation over the decades as something of a cult classic, opinion on the film remains firmly divided regarding how worthy an adaptation of the novel it truly is.

Aside from declarations of enthusiasm courtesy of those involved in the film, official word on the specifics of the new Dune and official production releases have so far been scant, with one of the biggest being the recent unveiling of the first logo, cleverly stylizing each letter of the title with the same shape in various orientations.

MacLachlan’s words are certainly refreshing though, since news of remakes are more often than not met with knee-jerk reactions of dissent, and it’s encouraging to see someone with a close connection to the original give his blessing for its paths to be retrodden, inspiring more hope that this new Dune might become the definitive screen version.

Really surprised they didn't show a trailer at the superbowl last night. Very much looking forward to this movie.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Paul Atreides, the story’s hero and one of the biggest Mary Sues in the history of fiction
    That Andrew Marshall you quoted is wrong, Paul Atreides is a "Chosen One", not a Mary Sue, completely different trope. He's the product of many generations of purposeful human breeding conducted by Bene Gesserit, and he's a young nobleman receiving training fitting the Duke's heir apparent. He's predestined to be powerful from his birth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    That Andrew Marshall you quoted is wrong, Paul Atreides is a "Chosen One", not a Mary Sue, completely different trope. He's the product of many generations of purposeful human breeding conducted by Bene Gesserit, and he's a young nobleman receiving training fitting the Duke's heir apparent. He's predestined to be powerful from his birth.
    In my mind, any journalist who uses the term "Mary Sue" loses half of his credibility.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Well said, the character was created to become all powerful and if i am not mistake we learn how that person grows into an all powerful being over time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Well said, the character was created to become all powerful and if i am not mistake we learn how that person grows into an all powerful being over time.
    Wouldn´t his son be the choosen as he gets shit done even more then Paul and was alive and able to do his planning/breeding for over a few thousand years?