Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Turns out you need money to survive, crazy right?
    Sure but that has nothing to do with corporations. If a sole proprietorship organization could do the job of a corporation and pay significantly higher wages then yes there might be an argument that corporations are bad. But sole proprietorships can't do that in the majority of cases.

Everyone will give you bullshit answers like lower wages or whatever.

Reality is, because making money sucks unless you literally win the lottery.

Entrepeneurs don't laze about the house all day watching breaking bad and playing wow. Businessmen don't come home from their 40 hour a week job and go drinking on friday.

These people work themselves to death. They isolate themselves from friends and family. The men in particular do this a lot. They work work work. Work 80 hour weeks for decades. Suddenly, they're 50. Come home one day, their wife, who they see less than their co workers, their kids, who they see less than their boss, are unrecognisable to them.

They get divorced and live out their days as a bachellor, still making money, but having nothing to spend it on.

'Workaholics' was a word thrown about a lot back in the day.

To you or I, this sounds like madness. Most of you probably can't even stand your 40 hour a week job and wish it was 30 or 20 hours or less. These guys don't. They feel useless and depressed while not working. They work round the clock, all year.

And of course they get rewarded for it. Thats how the world works. These are the guys keeping the gears turning. The people who go to medical school for half a decade then start running the medical world. You wanna do either of those? Hell no. You probably don't even want to commit to kids, let alone a career.

Fuck this "lower wages" bullshit. I don't have a lot of money because i value leisure time. Working a lot depresses me. My parents didn't do it for the same reason.

You have choices in life. Every choice comes with a sacrifice. Want kids? Then you don't get to have a career, sorry ladies. Want a relationship with your wife and kids? Then you don't get to work 60,70,80 hour weeks. Sorry lads.

Want leisure time? Then you aren't going to college. Want to make 6 figures? You aren't having leisure time.

Like playing video games all day? Then you're either going to need to win the lottery, become a streamer or accept that you will be poor.

And thats fine. You don't need a million in the bank.

Money =/= happiness. It can solve problems, but it ain't gonna make you happy. Doing things you actually enjoy will make you happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Sure but that has nothing to do with corporations. If a sole proprietorship organization could do the job of a corporation and pay significantly higher wages then yes there might be an argument that corporations are bad. But sole proprietorships can't do that in the majority of cases.
    It has everything to do with them because they exploit it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post

Entrepeneurs don't laze about the house all day watching breaking bad and playing wow. Businessmen don't come home from their 40 hour a week job and go drinking on friday.

These people work themselves to death. They isolate themselves from friends and family. The men in particular do this a lot. They work work work. Work 80 hour weeks for decades. Suddenly, they're 50. Come home one day, their wife, who they see less than their co workers, their kids, who they see less than their boss, are unrecognisable to them.

They get divorced and live out their days as a bachellor, still making money, but having nothing to spend it on.

To you or I, this sounds like madness. Most of you probably can't even stand your 40 hour a week job and wish it was 30 or 20 hours or less. These guys don't. They feel useless and depressed while not working. They work round the clock, all year.

And of course they get rewarded for it. Thats how the world works. These are the guys keeping the gears turning. The people who go to medical school for half a decade then start running the medical world. You wanna do either of those? Hell no. You probably don't even want to commit to kids, let alone a career.

Fuck this "lower wages" bullshit. I don't have a lot of money because i value leisure time. Working a lot depresses me. My parents didn't do it for the same reason.

You have choices in life. Every choice comes with a sacrifice. Want kids? Then you don't get to have a career, sorry ladies. Want a relationship with your wife and kids? Then you don't get to work 60,70,80 hour weeks. Sorry lads.

Want leisure time? Then you aren't going to college. Want to make 6 figures? You aren't having leisure time.

Like playing video games all day? Then you're either going to need to win the lottery, become a streamer or accept that you will be poor.

Money =/= happiness. It can solve problems, but it ain't gonna make you happy. Doing things you actually enjoy will make you happy.
    This and another 101 lies you can tell yourself to keep away from the truth that most people get exploited.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2020-01-21 at 07:10 PM.

7+ Year Old Account

Which is silly because nobody should ever try to 'work hard'. People should always be "working smart" by automating more and more of their tasks that way they can get their job done with less effort, which frees them up to engage in more valuable activities.

Yeah having money only means that you don't have to worry about material scarcity. To be happy a person still needs the right philosophy and they'll need to constantly self-actualize. If people don't make goals and they stop striving for more then they become depressed.

Human condition = Never satisfied

What kind of nut job entrepreneurs are you talking about? the richest men in the world cite the support of their friends and family in helping their business to get to where it is whether it is moral encouragement, drive or money. Bill Gates would be nothing if not for his family lending him money and support to start Microsoft and his wife to shape his future, Warren Buffet openly praises his first wife for helping him get to where he is. You seem to be watching some movies somewhere but no man is an island unto themselves those type of people you are talking about end up committing suicide and not making it past 50.

You cannot succeed just with hard work you have to work smart, have moral support and criticism so you can right the ship when you need to.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Two words: Wealth Inequality.

It's funny how all the globalist idiots in government scream that we need immigration because our populations are declining, meanwhile we are trying to combat climate change, it seems the derps in power forget that you can't have one without the other. Wealth inequality is why people of my generation aren't having kids. When you are university of college educated with multiple years in post-secondary and you are pulling in 30-40k a year and a house costs, depending on where you live, upwards of half a million dollars or more, those are good reasons. How do you expect people to build equity when they are living pay cheque to pay cheque? Meanwhile you have foreign speculation buyers ruining housing markets in many major cities, wage suppression in many industries due to TFW programs being abused and an overall high cost of living relative to 30 years ago.

My dad worked 60-80 hours a week my entire life growing up and he and I had an amazing relationship growing up, I knew my dad was working a lot to earn money to support our family. My parents have been happily married for 45 years. Having to work a lot does not mean you cannot have a spouse or children and that if you do work a lot your spouse and/or children will not like you. My dad is now "retired" from his career job and he and my mom still have an antique business, ebay business, 7 cats and a large house to take care of. They love each other more than anything and could not have had the life they did without each other.

Also, I have a bachelors and a masters degree. I finished undergrad with a 3.7 and graduate school with a 4.0 average, all while being married and I had free time to play games or whatever else I wanted to do. People who make money have free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Doctoral research programs have stipends that cover the basics. I'm pretty skeptical of the idea that a lack of freebies isn't the reason you don't have a Ph.D. in physics.
    I'd love to throw you in my old neighborhood...
    Be fucking skeptical as much as you want, but be grateful you've never been in my shoes.

Which is silly because nobody should ever try to 'work hard'. People should always be "working smart" by automating more and more of their tasks that way they can get their job done with less effort, which frees them up to engage in more valuable activities.

Yeah having money only means that you don't have to worry about material scarcity. To be happy a person still needs the right philosophy and they'll need to constantly self-actualize. If people don't make goals and they stop striving for more then they become depressed.

Human condition = Never satisfied
    I remember having an argument with someone on this site because i pointed out that, despite us mocking it, to someone like Kim Kardashian, her very real issue isn't "my heating is going off tomorrow and i have no money to pay it", but instead its "i've run out of room to store all my shoes and now i have to sell some"

Yeah, its a joke to you and i, but the human brain does a great job of telling Kim that her life is shit and she should be depressed until that issue is solved.

Its why we can care about our heating going off, whilst that issue to someone in Uganda getting chased through the bloody jungle by people with machetes trying to kill them for being the wrong religion, probably would be quite happy living in a house in the US that has no heating.

Shit is relative. Everyone survives at the end of the day. Everyone can be happy at the end of the day. Kim's happiness is not better than your happiness. Your sadness is not more sadder than Kim's sadness. Trying to have a sadness or happiness contest is just retarded.

People don't get this idea, but to me, its real as fuck. This is why religious people living in poverty stricken countries almost always report being the happiest people on the planet. Their lives are simple, their issues are simple. They have a figure like God to protect them, in their minds.

And money ties into this obviously very well. Money =/= happiness. I'll say it till i die. I grew up thinking anyone who said this was a stupid selfish retard. Now i realise how pathetic and childish that shit really is. Its comparable to people that mock religious folk, which i also did a ton as a teenager.

But why? If they're happy and harmless, who cares?

/Ramble over

That's why you become so invaluable to an organization that they have to keep your wages high to prevent you from leaving and going to a competitor.
    That's hysterically ignorant.
    Current CEO of the company I work for seems to believe he can throw temp employees at all his problems....until he can find the right one that knows everything...just like a lot of companies.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    It has everything to do with them because they exploit it.

- - - Updated - - -

This and another 101 lies you can tell yourself to keep away from the truth that most people get exploited.
    This and 101 other truths you can ignore in order to keep believing in your teenage dream that not only will communism happen in the west, but it won't produce 100 million more dead.

7+ Year Old Account
    People don't get this idea, but to me, its real as fuck. This is why religious people living in poverty stricken countries almost always report being the happiest people on the planet. Their lives are simple, their issues are simple. They have a figure like God to protect them, in their minds.
    Hehe yeah, no kidding. I'm an atheist but I admit that it's very hard to come up with a secular equivalent that gives people a similar sense of purpose and hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    And money ties into this obviously very well. Money =/= happiness. I'll say it till i die
    Despite it being manifestly untrue?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-and-happiness
    https://newrepublic.com/article/1208...-sadness-study
    https://money.com/ideal-income-study/

"Money doesn't buy happiness" is a mantra largely repeated by rich people, which is appropriate because it really only applies to the already well off; above a certain point additional income has diminishing returns in gains for life satisfaction, but up until that point money does increase life satisfaction.

When you say that people in "poverty stricken" countries report higher levels of happiness, what you're omitting is that happiness - i.e. life satisfaction - is as much a function of relative wealth in society as it is absolute living standards. So yeah, they might be happy with less; but that's mostly a function of the people at the top also having less.

It also does this nasty little thing where it tries to equate dollars earned directly with happiness when in reality, the "currency" happens to be time. People living even in relatively poor conditions in traditional lifestyles can still often have more hours per day to themselves than modern wage slaves.

Trying to reduce social phenomena like this to a lack of individual virtue is just justifying a system of exploitation, really.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-01-21 at 10:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

This and 101 other truths you can ignore in order to keep believing in your teenage dream that not only will communism happen in the west, but it won't produce 100 million more dead.
    Have you any idea how many people have died in the last hundred years from neglect under capitalist systems? It is closer to one billion than a hundred million.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    So, this thought just struck me and I'm curious of your take on it.

How is it possible that so few families have built any form of capital through the generations? I'm honestly "impressed" that no one in my family have been able to save/invest enough and pass on through the generations so that we'd have a sizeable capital. The majority of families have basically gone +-0 for generations. Doesn't anyone save money? Invest it?
    families that were able to save money are families that own towers in new york.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardringham View Post
    Have you any idea how many people have died in the last hundred years from neglect under capitalist systems? It is closer to one billion than a hundred million.
    Nah you see all of the people killed due to industrial accidents, famines, austerity, etc. don't count because as long as the government isn't doing it it's not bad. /s
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardringham View Post
    Correlation isn't causation though. Capitalism is a highly de-centralized system so the idea of pinning a bunch of deaths on it doesn't work very well. Where as it's much easier to blame a centralized system like state communism because the government leaders really are directly responsible for outcomes.

This is also one of the reasons why democracy is the best system because you can't specifically blame the state government for bad outcomes when the citizens are ultimately responsible for those outcomes. This means there is less likely to be revolution since blame is distributed among everyone and not centralized.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-01-21 at 10:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Correlation isn't causation though. Capitalism is a highly de-centralized system so the idea of pinning a bunch of deaths on it doesn't work very well. Where as it's much easier to blame a centralized system like state communism because the government leaders really are directly responsible for outcomes.
    'Kay

Tell that to the people on the Gulf who are still being negatively impacted by the Deepwater Horizon spill. Or the people that lost families in Bhopal. Or the folks on Lake Victoria whose communities have been destroyed by the introduction of Nile Perch for fisheries.

And I mean, it being so decentralised means we totally can't blame cigarette manufacturers and energy companies lying to the public for decades about the risks of smoking and fossil fuels respectively. /s
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-01-21 at 10:39 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    'Kay

Tell that to the people on the Gulf who are still being negatively impacted by the Deepwater Horizon spill. Or the people that lost families in Bhopal. Or the folks on Lake Victoria whose communities have been destroyed by the introduction of Nile Perch for fisheries.

And I mean, it being so decentralised means we totally can't blame cigarette manufacturers and energy companies lying to the public for decades about the risks of smoking and fossil fuels respectively. /s
    Okay but you're blaming particular businesses here, which is good. We only want to attribute blame to the particular party that actually made the decisions and caused the damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay but you're blaming particular businesses here, which is good. We only want to attribute blame to the party that actually made the decisions and caused the damage.
    Which is a lie considering you consistently blame the injustices in communist regimes on the ideology, not the individual leaders.

Miss me with that bullshit.