Poll: Rate: World of Warcraft: BATTLE FOR AZEROTH

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I said a bad expansion.

Wow has had: BC, WotLK, Cata, MoP, WoD, Legion and BfA ... that's 7 expansions. So the fact that I consider Cata and WoD to be worse, I can't say it is "one of the worst" because that is nearly half of the expansions at this point and we know not a lot about Shadowlands just yet.

So, it is bad. The story was all over the place, there didn't appear to be one writer or one person over the writers controlling the whole story. Plot points moved way too quickly for my liking. It would have been nice to have the story spread out more. I do like that the fact N'Zoth was hinted at since the beginning ... it was minor, but it looking back that was clear where things were eventually heading and the only question was were we getting N'Zoth in BfA or the next expansion and obvious that is BfA. And given how N'Zoth was treated, it makes sense he would be more behind the scenes until his final move.

I am not yet certain if I put BfA above or below Legion personally just yet. It is clearly better than Cata and WoD, but clearly worse than WotLK and MoP. BC gets a pass for me being the first expansion so there was clear growing pains there, but I also would place BC higher.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Great storytelling, Horde lost the war like they should. Anduin punched Wrathion. PvP with Ruin made it worth it. 10/10 expac.

Best WoW Expansion Ever Released for sure 10 out of 10 i hope Sl expansion is more like it!

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pros: We had some cool cinematics and horrific visions are fun for 30mins a week.
    Cons: all their new systems sucked dick, raids were mediocre, sssence systems make playing alts a fucking chore. The story writing was bad. Class design and combat flow totally messed up.

I would give it a 1 out of 10. For me it's worse than wod.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

RE: The anticlimactic ending cinematic

An additional moment of silence for the people who pretend they ever do anything more than watch it once then skip the fucking thing anyway.

I guess people were just expecting Sargeras to facefuck Azeroth with another giant sword.

Story, art, music were great. I dug a lot of the thematic stuff, like Drustvar storyline with the ghost girl with her spirit tea party.

Game mechanics were utter trash. Class balance was utter trash. Gearing was utter trash. Rental expansion specific power systems were utter trash.

I hated Uldir. DA was meh. Crucible I disliked, not as much as Uldir. EP I actually really liked, maybe because it reminded me of Serpentshrine and I loved that expansion. New tier I've yet to see.

2nd worst expansion for me, while it might shine in individual departments, overall when it comes to my engagement with the material it dropped pretty much down a hole. Only expansion that disconnected me worse than this was WoD.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Story: 3/10
    Raids: 6/10
    PVP: 7/10
    Zone Design: 4/10
    Mythic+: 9/10
    Endgame Grind: 5/10

Overall: 5.6/10 = mediocre expansion
    Last edited by Zexaniro; 2020-01-22 at 03:03 AM.

Liked it more than WoD, so not the worst for me, but it is not very far off after that disgustingly bad ending "cinematic". They definitely stepped up the storytelling even if the content of the said story was shit, at least it was done in a better way than previous expansions. Hopefully Shadowlands continues the sentiment forward but more in line with Legion.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gameplay and class design rules all unfortunately, so for me it's the worst expansion, but that doesn't mean it's far off from the other ones.

In my opinion the failures started right from the start, with their design of Azerite as a whole. You could readily see the panic as they had to buff and nerf traits by a magnitude of several hundred percent to get them right. Azerite for some classes felt really bad (and this just isn't a blood DK whining), and adding an additional tier certainly didn't make it better. Continued use of AP is fine and dandy, but it's like they didn't learn anything from their predecessor in Legion on how to make it feel fine. I'm not going to sit here and claim that AP was 'good' in Legion (it was a fucking travesty until 7.2 and beyond, far worse than anything in BFA), but you figured there would be growth in the system to make it at least how it felt at the end of the Legion. Instead we get AP interacting poorly with the Azerite system, and instead of allowing us to do whatever we wanted to gain AP, it now suddenly fell on islands and WQ. In Legion you got rewarded heavily from raids, M+ and could supplement with other world activities. AP reliance was high in BFA until 8.3 (which it feels fine in this patch) which would have been fine in if you could kinda just get it for playing the game the way you wanted.

Raids and dungeons for the most part are fantastic as always, so no major gripes here. Would I call them a massive step down over Legion? No, but my personal opinion is that that Legion *dungeons* were slightly better. I wouldn't call this a knock because Blizzard always does well with dungeons, but it's a little sad that we got no new dungeon to play with in 8.3.

Again, gameplay and class design rules all IMO. Azerite was mediocre at best, while essences were a great system for one character, they're absolutely brutal for multiple characters and I'm not sure why Blizzard is so stubborn to change them to account wide features. Adding GCDs to everything was an awful decision, especially when people were so accustom to having most of these abilities not on the GCD for over a decade. It adds no value, and if they're really worried about people making a macro with 5 things in them, I'd much rather them prune abilities or give weird CDs for shit than the alternative of slapping a GCD on something.

I personally hate it when people think the writing is bad in WoW like there's some kind of gold standard in any of WoW (and I'm talking from classic, all the way through to BFA). It's hard to argue that they don't present stories better now than they ever did. If you don't like the story, that's fine. Hot take, but most of WoWs story aside from MoP (up until Garrosh goes on trial anyways) is pretty bad, even people who covet WoTLK like it was some haven for good story telling. WoTLK was hot garbage in that department in both presentation and conclusion, with the only cool thing being the opening cinematic, and our first taste of in-game cinematics. WoTLK only had one thing going for it story wise, and that was it was a basic continuation of WC3.

Blizzard always does dungeons, raids, music, and zone design immaculately IMO, and BFA was no exception. They continue to falter on core gameplay loops, class design, itemization and just reward structure, which is far more core to the experience than anything else. If you play WoW for the story, I honestly want to know what you're smoking to think that BFA was somehow way worse than anything in the past though, let alone that you play the game for it's story anyway. The fact that many of you are in here complaining that N'zoth died after that many years of buildup make me laugh (like it wasn't some foregone conclusion that we were going to win). We win every expansion, or at least clean up the mess of the previous bad early in the next one. N'Zoth getting blasted by DBZ lasers is just as awful as "there must always be a LK" and Arthas chasing our heroes around like a Saturday morning cartoon character. I get it if you thought we were cheapened with only a 25 second cinematic, but lets be real, people were going to whine regardless of it's length.

Azerite is bad, essence implementation is bad, and AP is bad. Horrific visions are great (too bad it's limited, and at the end of the expansion) and I honestly believe corruption (once people aren't retarded and realize how it works) is an actual suitable replacement for TF by FAR. Still, the positives don't outweigh the negatives because GCDs were added to many abilities and class design is probably at it's lowest.

People can mock WoD all they want, but depending on what class you played, it was either the best or second best expansion of all time in regards to how your CHARACTER played.

7+ Year Old Account
    I feel like summing this expansion up as "Warlords of Draenor 2: Azeroth Boogaloo" is pretty much spot on, even with the positives.

Leveling and raiding has been great, art and music are on point, the rest ranges from meh to bad.
    TEA IS DOWN!

Sylvanas is what you get when you cross Joffrey Baratheon with a mary sue. Change my mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BFA was total dogshit. Happy that I skipped it in favor of FFXIV's expansion. Hopefully they'll pull their heads out of their asses for Shadowlands but I'm not very hopeful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overall I rate it as good, not great. I actually didn't play BFA at all 3 of the first 4 months, it was the release of KTs/Zandalari that pulled me back in and I've played ever since.

The stuff I enjoyed about BFA (art, story/cinematics, Mechagon, some fun allied races), I really enjoyed. The stuff I didn't enjoy, I was mostly... indifferent to. The only thing I outright hate about BFA is how they teased the end of factions with the break-the-cycle talk, only to chicken out for Shadowlands.

So for me its a 6.5 or so, where as I would rate Mists and Legion as 9.

Warlords remains, for me at least, the worst expansion by a large margin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Currently at the bottom tier of expansions in my estimation, displacing WoD as owner of the "Worst Expansion to Date" trophy.

Pros: Good leveling content, solid art and music accompanyment. Fair-to-middling centerpiece tier (8.1 through 8.2), fun additional content outside raiding for the most part (e.g. WQ's, mount hunts, rares, Visions, etc. etc.) Essences a decent improvement to AP system.

Cons: Badly implemented "gimmick" in the form of Azerite Traits + the Heart of Azeroth, shallow depth in terms of overall gameplay. Bad beginning tier content, bad ending tier content. Muddled execution of the game's narrative and inconsistency in the expansion's overall tone.

Overall: This expansion feels botched in a number of ways. Some good stuff, a lot of bad stuff, very few in-between elements. Overall it's a low point for WoW, and hopefully a stumble on the way to a better expansion with better implementation.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    Great storytelling, Horde lost the war like they should. Anduin punched Wrathion. PvP with Ruin made it worth it. 10/10 expac.
    But they didn't lose. When they were about to lose, they went like "Yo Alliance, we now think what we did was bad. Forgive us?" And the Alliance went "Sure. Water under the bridge." After all: there were no retribution or recompense for the burning of Teldrassil, remember?
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Third worst expac imo. BFA > Cata > WoD.

BFA had FAR stronger patches than the other two, and a whole lot of solo content to do outside of raiding. BFA also benefits from allied races and Mythic+.

Cata had Molten Front in 4.2 which was great, but not much solo content outside of that. Raiding was pretty much hardcore players only until 4.3

WoD was a sit-in-your-garrison-and-raid-log expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    RE: The anticlimactic ending cinematic

An additional moment of silence for the people who pretend they ever do anything more than watch it once then skip the fucking thing anyway.

I guess people were just expecting Sargeras to facefuck Azeroth with another giant sword.
    That's the only defense you could come up with.

God you people aren't even trying anymore.

Going to go with "tied with Cata for second worst".

Id say it’s mediocre. Certainly better than WoD and Cataclysm even.

It could of been great but unfortunately was brought down by Azerite traits, stale class design and excessive grinds. Which is a shame because the expansion has some great raids and other interesting features.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
    That's the only defense you could come up with.

God you people aren't even trying anymore.
    "You people"? Get over yourself dude. You can hate BfA all the fuck you want but please don't pretend like this thread's intended purpose is anything other than (yet another) very surface level "DAE BfA sux LOL" echo chamber.