What is a retired university professor's most appropriate activities?

To entertain himsef ?
    To continu in his domaine of research as usual?
    To help others benifit from his experience ?
    To become a politician?
    To Travel?

*shrug* depends on the person. if it were me, i'd travel. a professor's mind never really stops turning or churning, so i imagine they'd go back and teach a seminar course or something, even if at a community college, just to keep the brain sharp and be occupied. or run for office, but i think he or she would just get frustrated by politics.

I’d imagine they still have the same retirement life as anyone else; doing what they enjoy. They might travel more than the average Joe, because they’re pretty well off.
    Last edited by muto; 2020-01-22 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    *shrug* depends on the person. if it were me, i'd travel. a professor's mind never really stops turning or churning, so i imagine they'd go back and teach a seminar course or something, even if at a community college, just to keep the brain sharp and be occupied. or run for office, but i think he or she would just get frustrated by politics.
    I also want someone to be more comfortable in their home after spending most of their life at work.

10+ Year Old Account
    My father continues his research and still presents papers in his field. I'll be retiring from my current position and will continue teaching in another institution.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    My father continues his research and still presents papers in his field. I'll be retiring from my current position and will continue teaching in another institution.
    Amazing. I also love Teaching profession and have a great respect of all teachers in my life. my Father was also a Professor but now he is retired and due to spine operation he spent their most of time in watching news.

10+ Year Old Account
    @GabrielLuke Ah, that explains your question a bit more. It depends somewhat on his field. I spend a few hours a day (depending on how badly the Great Firewall is choking me) keeping up on news as best I can because that helps me stay current on things I teach. Your father may have a similar interest in staying current, but he might want to branch out and use the Internet more if "watching news" means TV.

In my case, it is my foot that was injured. I get around alright, but it does mean that I have to limit my physical activities a bit now since I'm still recovering. How much your father can do will be something he should discuss with his doctor. How willing he is to be more active will depend on his inclinations before he needed surgery, but if he can find something his doctor is OK with it might help his mood and keep him from losing more mobility. Again though, that is something he needs to discuss with his doctor, medical advice threads are a banned topic for good reasons.

For amusement, I still game, read, and watch shows, but notice that I said "still". If your father didn't have an interest in something before, don't expect him to suddenly turn on the computer and start playing LoL tomorrow. I also keep up with old friends and students on WeChat, but that may be more of a local thing here.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

@bungeebungee
    I appreciate your words and feelings. My father is actually 65 years old. And his upper back has undergone surgery from last year. I myself also want to tell them to walk as much as possible, but sorry that they start to fall after walking 20 steps. So now they bring home rations etc and spend the rest of the time as I told t.v, watching the news. The rest and not enough ideas are not interested in the internet or mobile phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Bang PhD students.
    Truer words have not been said.

10+ Year Old Account
    @GabrielLuke I'm turning 60 in a matter of days, so not that much age difference.

Yes, recovering from being bedridden can take it out of you and he is probably still getting his strength and mood back. Without turning this into a medical advice thread, I'd say have him talk to his surgeon and work up a recovery plan. My surgeon is using tissue regeneration techniques used for burn patients to grow new tissue for my foot injuries -- slow, but amazing. She thinks it is good for me to get out and walk a bit for my health and recovery, even though I'm still missing tissue on the side of my heel. She asks me to take it easy and not push myself too much, and she is a WeChat contact so she knows I can contact her anytime for advice.

Again, medical advice threads are a banned topic, so have him talk to his doctors so they can suggest therapy that will fit his injuries. I had to use my wheelchair for balance at first and that gave me the chance to sit when I was tired, but that may not be suitable for someone who had spinal surgery! Hopefully his doctor can also recommend something for his mental recovery too; after they were done with my surgeries the hospital sent a psychologist to make sure I was coping, and even hauled in someone for music therapy so she could practice with the foreigner.

@bungeebungee May God give you good health and long life, good people like you are rarely found. And Thanks for your suggestion and compassion for others

10+ Year Old Account
    @GabrielLuke Here's hoping your father has a speedy recovery. Good luck!

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever that is legal they want to do. That is what is great about retirement. If you are happy doing it and your wife or husband approves, then it does not matter what others think.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GabrielLuke View Post
    To entertain himsef ?
    To continu in his domaine of research as usual?
    To help others benifit from his experience ?
    To become a politician?
    To Travel?
    Get paid to do guest speeches.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

There is no blanket answer for that.

I've met some that continue to teach every now and then if they get a call from the dean that they need a helping hand. I've met others that only got into the field because it was prestigous (certainly not for the pay) but they never felt a deep connection to the field. Most probably keep some interest in the field and its developments themselves but don't actually publish anymore. Some take advisor gigs.

Things like traveling are activities that depend on the individual and have nothing to do with being a professor or any job in general.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-01-22 at 08:27 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Play chess and engage in philosophical discourse with his comrades.

If it were me I would just call into Coast to Coast AM all the time and wave my cred and tell them they are all right. All of them. But I also probably would be on some mid drugs and strong drink dancing around the house because I wouldn't have to go to work the next day.

Lots of college professors, especially science related, are doing research until dead.
    They even have a bed in school.

Don't know if they ever had any entertainment or hobbies.