View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry View Post
    And Boris's deal is basically the same as May's right? Soft Brexit to avoid hard Irish border?
    This article explains the situation - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50083026

7+ Year Old Account
    One week before the referendum back in 2016 the remain backing EU funded IMF in an effort to rig the vote and subvert democracy says Brexit would trigger UK recession.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-eu-referendum

And reality now just over a week until Britain booms after Brexit where art thou Project Fear and your lies as the IMF publish its latest world economic outlook? Any chance of an apology and an admission you were wrong for us brexiteers? If it's good enough for the IMF...

13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Some potentially good news for the UK financial services industry - https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-br...-idUKKBN1ZJ00D

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Those numbers are based on the assumption that the UK will keep adhering to the desires of the EU and won't do retarded shit like trying to be stubborn: "the looser the trading relationship, the more economic disruption and damage will be caused within the UK. Brexit will be “painful” for the UK, the IMF stated."
    That is a quote from an ITV News article and not a quote attributed to the IMF nor does it imply that the UK will need to adhere to the EU's desires.

I also notice that you have - for some reason - missed the end of the sentence off when you state that Brexit will be painful for the UK which should read 'Kristalina Georgieva, [...] believes Brexit will be “painful” for the UK and the EU and for countries who share close economic ties.'

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-01-20/...ritain-growth/
    Last edited by Pann; 2020-01-20 at 08:02 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Some potentially good news for the UK financial services industry - https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-br...-idUKKBN1ZJ00D
    For some perspective on UK financial services, as our Boris mentioned just yesterday, Canary Wharf - a minuscule insignificant molecule of London, manages more financial services than the "whole of Frankfurt."

Seriously Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving to the UK.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...es-latest-news

Angela Merkel humiliated as Boris takes swipe at failed bid to snatch business from UK
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Seriously Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving to the UK.
    Let's just hope Johnson doesn't give any of those gifts away trying to please thickos who think fishing is the mostest most important thing in the world.

- - - Updated - - -
    @dribbles - you didn't really vote for these muppets?

'Attending the penultimate session of the #EuropeanParliament’s #FisheriesCommittee #PECHcommittee) with #BritishMEPs. The big question now is, who will be here to hold these people to account while they still control Britain’s waters, but the UK has no representation?'

https://twitter.com/june_mummery/sta...67050574618626

To borrow a Dominic Cummings' turn of phrase - thick as mince!

One week before the referendum back in 2016 the remain backing EU funded IMF in an effort to rig the vote and subvert democracy says Brexit would trigger UK recession.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-eu-referendum

And reality now just over a week until Britain booms after Brexit where art thou Project Fear and your lies as the IMF publish its latest world economic outlook? Any chance of an apology and an admission you were wrong for us brexiteers? If it's good enough for the IMF...

That's a difference of 1 tenth of a percent. Hardly significant.

Also, look how flat the UK's growth is compared to Germany's in 2021. If the line were a year longer Germany would be "out-stripping" the UK. Coincidentally, that's after the UK's first year outside the EU.

That graph says that Germany's growth will go up by 0.9% in the same time the UK's growth will increase from 1.3 to 1.5% (an increase of 0.2%). That's 4.5 times as much. That is a piss-poor performance by the UK's economy by any standards, especially as that is a best-case scenario.

Isn't statistics fun?
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2020-01-20 at 10:27 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Let's just hope Johnson doesn't give any of those gifts away trying to please thickos who think fishing is the mostest most important thing in the world.

- - - Updated - - -
    @dribbles - you didn't really vote for these muppets?

'Attending the penultimate session of the #EuropeanParliament’s #FisheriesCommittee #PECHcommittee) with #BritishMEPs. The big question now is, who will be here to hold these people to account while they still control Britain’s waters, but the UK has no representation?'

https://twitter.com/june_mummery/sta...67050574618626

To borrow a Dominic Cummings' turn of phrase - thick as mince!
    Of course I voted for them until non representative Theresa the appeaser and her gang were booted out. Now we hold Boris's feet to the fire ensuring a proper Brexit for all to benefit from...

I'm pleased you brought up important questions about fishing, here's one I'd like answered and borrowed from facts4eu.org How can a nation surrounded by sea be turned into a net importer of fish?

In 1990 the UK exported 53% more fish than it imported
    By 2018 the UK imported 78% more fish than it exported

Excellent example of how damaging the EU has been to the UK. If the EU wanted to share the fish where are our UK vineyards in France? Share the EU grape equally I say. Where is our share of the German auto industry? Share the wheels equally I say and so on and so on.

Oh no, the EU was take take take. No wonder we as a free spirited nation voted to leave and not just once, over and over again at every chance we could.

Of course I voted for them until non representative Theresa the appeaser and her gang were booted out. Now we hold Boris's feet to the fire ensuring a proper Brexit for all to benefit from...

I'm pleased you brought up important questions about fishing, here's one I'd like answered and borrowed from facts4eu.org How can a nation surrounded by sea be turned into a net importer of fish?

Excellent example of how damaging the EU has been to the UK. If the EU wanted to share the fish where are our UK vineyards in France? Share the EU grape equally I say. Where is our share of the German auto industry? Share the wheels equally I say and so on and so on.

Oh no, the EU was take take take. No wonder we as a free spirited nation voted to leave and not just once, over and over again at every chance we could.
    Doesn't it concern you that she appears to be somewhat clueless? Also I am not sure how Johnson's feet are being or will be held to the fire given the size of his majority.

Without knowing what species of fish were imported and exported then compared to now or the size of the UK import and export fish markets I cannot answer that. Although I suspect the sale of quotas from UK fishermen to EU operators has played no small part.
    Last edited by Pann; 2020-01-20 at 11:26 PM.

UK fishers sold their quotas to EU fishers. Maybe they shouldn't have done that, but the UK fishermen aren't exactly known for thinking about the long-term viability of their profession. They'd have overfished the Atlantic Cod to extinction if the EU hadn't imposed catch quotas.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2020-01-21 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I got the stuff I quoted from a different site actually it was IMF-Watch.com or something. No clue what their source was. I assumed it was the IMF report itself.

Either way the graph linked by dribbled was obviously debunked as a "best possible outcome" sort if thing. The IMF report was obviously quite a bit more negative about Brexit.
    That's odd because both of the sentences you misrepresented appear in Joe Hills' article for ITV News and for some strange reason Google seems to be unable to find either IMF-watch.com or any source other than ITV News for your quoted sentence(s).

The IMF report is based on “The growth forecast assumes an orderly exit from the European Union at the end of January followed by a gradual transition to a new economic relationship" so I am not quite sure how think that it has been debunked. Unlike you, I have bothered to take the time to look through the IMF report and I can say that your last sentence is false.

That should mean you'd have no problem if the UK decided to try and vote their way back into the EU after a year or two, right? I mean Brexit was 10 "Noes" and a "Yes" means "Yes" so surely turnabout is fair play?

Isn' this just supply and demand economics at work. It isnt the 70s anymore when friday dinnertime is fish and chips, people eating hanits changed and consequently it became more profitable to sell to the EU.
    I come from around newlyn and the big local fisheries sell heavily to exporters and the major supermarkets but very little locally as there is so much stock from locals who dont have the infrastructure to export.
    In regards to actual brexit, fishing and agriculture will be on the table in any trade agreements as we have to leverage something and if we cant leverage the NHS those markets are open to exploit.
    "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
    Last edited by gtempest; 2020-01-21 at 07:37 PM.

Did it ever occur to you that it might be better to find an advocate for Brexit who actually believes in it rather than Boris...who clearly believes in nothing.

Does it now worry you that he will sell you all out the moment it becomes politically expedient to do so. Say, for example in 2025 when 10% of the population that voted for him has died and he has a ton of angry young pro-eu voters to bribe?

The Withdrawal Agreement Bill has been passed into law.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status...56065439600640

@dribbles must be very happy!

The Withdrawal Agreement Bill has been passed into law.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status...56065439600640

@dribbles must be very happy!
    So does this mean they just accepted the amendments from the house of lords as written then?

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    So does this mean they just accepted the amendments from the house of lords as written then?
    No, they rejected all amendments made by the Lords.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51210602

No, they rejected all amendments made by the Lords.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51210602
    That must be more of that "taking back control" I keep hearing about. So we are now onto the part where we ignore one half of the legislative process because it doesn't agree with us. Next will be neutering the legal branch because it keeps stopping us doing illegal things.

Isn't it great that we can do all these wonderful things that the evil EU stopped us doing?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    The thing is... what do you do now, though?
    I hope you have a nice pub to drink a pint or cup of tea in peace. And if some Brexiteer doesn't shut up tell him to think a bit quietly until he comes up with what exactly in his life got better by leaving. Should shut them up until for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I hope you have a nice pub to drink a pint or cup of tea in peace. And if some Brexiteer doesn't shut up tell him to think a bit quietly until he comes up with what exactly in his life got better by leaving. Should shut them up until for a while.
    Problem is pubs were a cause of the problem. Drunken idiots who have no formal education thinking they had all the knowledge while on their pub table they kept the mail, express or sun. Then others listening to them over those who spend years in studying how the real world works. Not some useless shit of "Real world experience.". So bars/pubs/etc are no goes for people that basically are sick to death of brexiteers and their outdated world views. Surrendering and being nice to them for fucking things up is not an option either.