Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I do take it as a high compliment if McCarthy and I are making the same arguments, but it's actually pretty straightforward: the Schiff memo is an embarrassment in retrospect because of how wildly it wrongly differed from the Nunes memo, and now there are flaws in his handling of Parnas. He has all the fervor but none of the consistency.
    Did actually have the same opinion or did you construct yours after only reading McCarthy? Next, you have to explain how Schiff is anywhere near Nunes. The same Nunes that has gone to bat for a corrupt president time and time again, suing twitter accounts, and come up with plenty of failed investigations while also potentially being part of some of the corrupt shit the corrupt president is doing.

- - - Updated - - -

I just wanted to share my thoughts on Schiff after reading a Politico tweet on Schiff and Parnas, that's all. If the time comes to comment on other matters I will do so.
    What you're doing is dodging the question to actually have a conversation of what Trump did and if it's right or wrong. Want to put your own thoughts out there and not McCarthy's?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...as-house-makes

Trump, who is apparently super busy, somehow managed to find the time while at Davos to set a new record for presidential tweets in a single day. The same day the House managers began making the case against him in the Senate.

I wanted to make a Coke/Pepsi joke, something like, "Can I have Nunes?"

"Is Schiff okay?"

But I won't make that joke because I don't want to be provocative. I hope you appreciate my restraint.
    It's only a joke if those two were comparable and again, they are not. You'll have to actually explain how they are the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Probably me...
    Just...gas.

- - - Updated - - -

o wait...Senate GOP to Trump; STFU

Just five hours after Senate Republicans carefully assembled and passed an impeachment trial framework that could clear Donald Trump by next week, the president himself delivered an unwanted surprise to the GOP: The prospect of a longer trial with lots of witnesses.

Senate Republicans have been publicly and privately maneuvering to give Trump as quick of an acquittal as possible while still keeping 51 GOP senators on board. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has largely thrown cold water on hearing from new witnesses and many of his members are eager to end the trial, not extend it.

------------------

57% of likely voters support removing Trump from office, poll finds
    Clearly if Trump wants more witnesses then Republicans should agree, after all he's the bestiest of them all and has the best ideas in the world.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1ZL33O

About 72% agreed that the trial “should allow witnesses with firsthand knowledge of the impeachment charges to testify,” including 84% of Democrats and 69% of Republicans. And 70% of the public, including 80% of Democrats and 73% of Republicans, said senators should “act as impartial jurors” during the trial.
    The level of support for calling firsthand witnesses is uncontested, and cannot be challenged. People, including a clear majority of Republicans, want to hear from folks like Mulvaney.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Future election odds and outcomes do not belong in the thread.
    Sorry but this is so incredibly tone deaf to what is going on right now. Stop trying to put training wheels on this discussion.

So, Ted Cruz is now saying that Hunter Biden is ESSENTIAL to this impeachment trial. I don't know why, Hunter Biden didn't break the law, or have anything to do with Trump's fucking bribery of Ukraine, other than being the VICTIM. Ted Cruz has also said that if the Dems call for Bolton, the Republicans should call Hunter Biden. Schumer said no deal. But Ted Cruz said Hunter was essential tonight. Ted Cruz is basically being Trump's newest favorite cancerous colon polyp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    So, Ted Cruz is now saying that Hunter Biden is ESSENTIAL to this impeachment trial. I don't know why, Hunter Biden didn't break the law, or have anything to do with Trump's fucking bribery of Ukraine, other than being the VICTIM. Ted Cruz has also said that if the Dems call for Bolton, the Republicans should call Hunter Biden. Schumer said no deal. But Ted Cruz said Hunter was essential tonight. Ted Cruz is basically being Trump's newest favorite cancerous colon polyp.
    At this point, I’m of the opinion to just give it to them. You want Hunter? Fine but Bolton comes too. And then all Hunter has to do is repeat ad nauseam that the investigation into his position at the energy company found no wrongdoing and no corruption whatsoever. Every question just give that answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaftyMcShaft View Post
    Metzen: Magic rainbow ponies.
    Developer 2: Brilliant.
    Metzen: That's why they pay me the big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailine57 View Post
    At this point, I’m of the opinion to just give it to them. You want Hunter? Fine but Bolton comes too. And then all Hunter has to do is repeat ad nauseam that the investigation into his position at the energy company found no wrongdoing and no corruption whatsoever. Every question just give that answer.
    Yeah, they can try to keep harping on Hunter Biden, but all they are going to do, is make themselves look fucking retarded.

I couldn't believe it could be that high so I looked it up on RCP and it seems to be averaging 47/47 mostly. That 57 must be an outlier. I would just be very surprised if the average American people were hungry for this kind of shakeup so close to 2020.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...rump-6957.html

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't believe it could be that high so I looked it up on RCP and it seems to be averaging 47/47 mostly. That 57 must be an outlier. I would just be very surprised if the average American people were hungry for this kind of shakeup so close to 2020.
    You'd be surprised if the average American wanted to remove a corrupt liar from office, huh?

The "average American" isn't a middle aged white man in Wisconsin, just fyi. Statistically it's a woman of colour living on the coasts - and we all know how popular Trump is with those demographics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account

Good thing the Senate majority doesn't believe in democracy

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Definitely seems like an outlier. But there's apparently pretty strong bipartisan support for bringing in witnesses like Mulvaney to testify, so Republicans can't claim "nobody wants to hear them" (see my post last page with the poll).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Definitely seems like an outlier. But there's apparently pretty strong bipartisan support for bringing in witnesses like Mulvaney to testify, so Republicans can't claim "nobody wants to hear them" (see my post last page with the poll).
    Consider also the RCP average is drawing from older data sets; the newer stuff we've seen come out in the past few days has trended upwards, like CNN and MSN.

Looks like the average American can spot a sham trial when she sees it.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The biggest problem for Democrats is that this really gets deep in the weeds, it's not something that grips attention like audio tapes or a blue dress, it's allegations filtered through tons of bureaucracy and he said, she said. Democrats need something to cut through that and I don't know if it's there.

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest problem for Democrats is that this really gets deep in the weeds, it's not something that grips attention like audio tapes or a blue dress, it's allegations filtered through tons of bureaucracy and he said, she said. Democrats need something to cut through that and I don't know if it's there.
    Ah yes, the "lacked the pizzazz necessary to capture public attention" bad take.

Prithee, how are the Democrats supposed to cut through it if they're not allowed to call witnesses or present evidence? And before you say 'if they had anything damning they would release it', I'll stop you right there because you would have bitched about them leaking.

Why don't you just admit you're not here to discuss the actual issue under investigation in good faith and that you operate solely from a position of parroting Republican character assassination?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not our fault you don't have the attention span to pay attention.

Don't project your faults onto others, and certainly don't tell others to dumb things down for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    It's not our fault you don't have the attention span to pay attention.

Don't project your faults onto others, and certainly don't tell others to dumb things down for you.
    We saw his argument on Day 1 of the House investigations and, shockingly enough, it didn't bear out due to the weight of testimony and evidence.

So the fact that the GOP is bringing it up yet again shows how untenable the defense actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Ah yes, the "lacked the pizzazz necessary to capture public attention" bad take.

Prithee, how are the Democrats supposed to cut through it if they're not allowed to call witnesses or present evidence? And before you say 'if they had anything damning they would release it', I'll stop you right there because you would have bitched about them leaking.
    I don't think it's a bad take at all, but I even if I were to complain, it's still stands to reason. The accusation stands on it's own merit, and some of the best conservative minds have argued that Trump's best defense was that it's not impeachable, not that his hands are clean. If Democrats had something to really bring it home that this is a severe situation that warrants immediate removal, it would surely find it's way into the public sphere.

They're just looking for sound bites to use on Fox, anyone with half a brain knows the Bidens don't matter, but we have to appease the orange Lord.

Sometimes I feel like it's a competition to see who can make the bigger spectacle.