Weathering with You - 8/10 (very good)

I went in with pretty low expectations. Three years ago, everybody and their brother told me that Your Name was this amazing, incredible movie, which was quite jarring when I finally got to watch it and it only turned out to be an okay film. Didn't help that the marketing materials for this movie presented it as yet another boy meets girl love story by Shinkai.

I was pleasantly surprised. I think this is my favorite Shinkai film after 5 Centimeters Per Second. If you can get past the opening five minutes of cringeworthy, melodramatic narration, the movie becomes thoroughly enjoyable. It's the funniest Shinkai film yet. The audience laughed out loud a lot. The audience openly cheered when Taki and Mitsuha made their cameos.

The film isn't without it's flaws. Many of the character designs looked samey, like they were reused from Your Name. Hodaka is visually indistinguishable from Taki in Your Name, and Hina looks exactly like Mitsuha but with pigtails. It still has the cringeworthy, melodramatic narrations and a nonsensical third act. How did Hodaka bring her back after she was sacrificed? It isn't explained. She was "sacrificed"... but then she's sitting in the Sky dimension all safe and sound, and apparently she could have jumped down back to Earth at any time? There is also some very bizzare tonal dissonance. In one scene, the protagonist decides to make a moral decision to intervene and prevent an underaged girl (she claims to be 17 years old, but it is later revealed that she is 15) from entering into prostitution... but then in another scene, they're cracking jokes about underage prostitution?

Ending spoilers and speculation for the next Shinkai film: Given that Garden of Words, Your Name, and now Weathering with You all take place in the same ongoing continuity, I wonder if Tokyo will remain flooded by the next movie. The solar punk aesthetic of a flooded city with water bus gondolas and vegetation growing everywhere is really striking. It'd be really cool to have a movie that explored that setting. It'd also be really nice to see Takaki in this continuity.

The English dub is good.

Highly recommended!

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncut Gems: 8/10

Another great Safdie brothers production. Utterly masterful performance by Sandler, who plays a neurotic Jewish jewelry handler who is juggling his mess of a life as it's spiraling downwards through bad luck and bad decisions. Overall, it might be the most anxious and neurotic films I've ever watched in my life, partly due to the Oneohtrix Point Never's nervous, synth driven soundtrack swelling over dialogue, the constant barrage of yelling and swearing as things go from bad to worse, and displays of complete helplessness as entire lives are dependant on sheer luck. It might prove too much for some people though.

I think Good Time was the better Safdie movie, but this is also up there with 2019's greats. Why it didn't get any Oscar nominations, we will never know, because in my opinion both Sandler and the script/writing were exceptional.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2020-01-18 at 03:00 PM.

Some quick reviews of the movies I've seen since Star Wars:

Frozen II (2019) - 6/10 (C+)

I looove the first Frozen, this one was... okay? It had some interesting themes, but it didn't really come together for me. It was also somewhat weirdly constructed, and lacked a general sense of tension or a villain.

Uncut Gems (2019) - 8/10 (B+)

As has been said, Adam Sandler is great, and the movie is extremely stressful. Not one of my personal favorites of 2019, but I can see why some people love it (and why some people would just completely bounce off it).

The Two Popes (2019) - 8/10 (B+)

Well acted, well written movie about a pair of popes walking around some pretty places and discussing some interesting things.

1917 (2019) - 8/10 (B+)

Story is pretty basic, but it works pretty well, and the one-shot cinematography look they went for is very impressive, as well as the things they did to make it work. I think the director Sam Mendes and the cinematography by Roger Deakins will probably win Oscars, and I could see it winning Best Picture too.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019) - 7/10 (B)

A neat feel-good movie. Tom Hanks is great in the role as Mr. Rogers. I do think the documentary that come out last year, Won't You Be My Neighbor, is the better watch though. Besides of having some great Mr. Rogers moments, it feels pretty basic.

Dark Waters (2019) - 8/10 (B+)

A "small" 8/10, but this is one of the those "true story" movies that, especially if you are not already aware of it, really shocks you. I like Mark Ruffalo, and it is just generally a pleasure to see somebody taking a stand against a corporation that has done an awful thing and is protected by an unjust and insufficient system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fireworks: 6/10 I wanted to like it a lot more than I did. Decent enough fluff, but it left me a bit confused and unsatisfied when the credits began to roll. Bonus point for Shaft's visual style, despite some wonky CG.

Gantz:0: 1/10 Filled with nice visuals and frustratingly stupid characters.

NiNoKuni: 1/10 Mediocre isekai bullshit from... Studio Ghibli?! Well that just makes it worse!
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Marriage Story: 8.5/10

A simple premise but the superb acting and writing elevated it to one of the best movies of the year. Scarlet Johansson especially showed she can act the shit out of a movie if she really wants to. Driver was also excellent, even brilliant at times. I heard it was a good movie but I never expected a relationship drama/comedy to be that good.

- - - Updated - - -

Color out of Space: 8/10

Once upon a time, actor Elijah Wood starred in LOTR, among other lesser known movies. He now owns a company that does weird ass horror. He produced Mandy and now this. So if you've seen Mandy, and you've seen anything made by Stanley, you kinda know what to expect.

Right off the bat, this starts off as B-movie-ish as a B-movie can get. Horrifying acting, abysmal dialogue, Nic Cage tantrums that are more comical than gripping, the entire "actors" part of the movie was done so badly it just looks as if every scene was done in the first take. This was a conscious choice, to make a throwback to 80's schlock horror. People nowadays will hate it, but it just oozes nostalgia and the feel of an old school B-movie. It's charming, but it left me wanting more. I think they underestimated what they had, because this could have been as great as Carpenter's The Thing. It came close, at least.

The story is a modernised Lovecraft novel without the deep-rooted paranoia angle, which was kinda a shame but anyway. The visuals and directing, combined with the soundtrack are what transformed this from a schlocky, slightly comical B-movie, to a world class scifi horror that reminisces the old greats and utilizes a compelling and utterly otherworldly story to make me gather my jaw from the floor as it ended. It kinda reminded me of Annihilation, but more enthralling. It's deeply flawed, probably by choice, but the way it's crafted is just masterful. Once again, the acting and dialogue and the characters in general make it look like a bad movie from a distance, but looking closer it oozes tension and atmosphere. It's an incredible experience that very, very few movies have managed to achieve, and that is to perplex the viewer with a bombardment of things he has never experienced before.

For people who like the old school horror genre, this is, without any hyperbole, an absolute must-watch. For everyone else, you might hate it for the acting and stuff that makes other, normal movies seem bad, but this isn't a normal movie, and I urge you to keep watching till the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Frozen II (2019) - 6/10 (C+)

I looove the first Frozen, this one was... okay? It had some interesting themes, but it didn't really come together for me. It was also somewhat weirdly constructed, and lacked a general sense of tension or a villain.
    The actual script was choppy to me. It seemed like more a vehicle for the musical numbers which I thought were amazing.
    That "Show Yourself" seemed to me about transcendence.
    I rated a bit higher for that alone.

Marriage story 8/10

Very intense acting and a very clear story. Not really my kind of movie but it was impressively done.

1917 8.5/10

Very good movie, with gorgeous visuals, epic tracking shots and some effective emotional moments. Only things I sort of disliked would veer into spoilers territory, and are fairly minor besides.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Hateful 8:Joker revisited after my Cats debacle. 6/10 - Movie is still a solid 6. Phoenix is amazing, everything else is "adequate". I don't say that negatively. It's just very... by the numbers, there aren't any real issues though. I think the movies biggest issue is it had no protagonist or antagonists. The only people I feel any sympathy for are the hapless people who encounter any of the main characters. Because frankly they are all assholes.
    The Children's Hospital scene was great, I like to imagine it as a cut scene from Patch Adam's. And it's nice to get confirmation that Bruce Wayne was a humorless little shit before his parents died.
    Huh, that's not something that crossed my mind watching that scene, but it's a good point. Subconsciously I thought he was just scared of clowns or weary to talk to strangers, but wouldn't it be a kicker if he was already a depressed child? I mean, Thomas Wayne is painted as a major dick, and unhappy rich kids without siblings is a common writing trope. It's the basis of Richie Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The actual script was choppy to me. It seemed like more a vehicle for the musical numbers which I thought were amazing.
    That "Show Yourself" seemed to me about transcendence.
    I rated a bit higher for that alone.
    I thought it was about being true to yourself, whereas she before wanted to please Anna and the rest, but I'm a bit unsure how it ties together with the theme of ancestral guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Huh, that's not something that crossed my mind watching that scene, but it's a good point. Subconsciously I thought he was just scared of clowns or weary to talk to strangers, but wouldn't it be a kicker if he was already a depressed child? I mean, Thomas Wayne is painted as a major dick, and unhappy rich kids without siblings is a common writing trope. It's the basis of Richie Rich.
    It's always hard to tell with child actors, but he just stands there pretty emotionally disinterested, even when his parents are being threatened and ultimately shot, he is withdrawn. It could be that they are going for the Batman is on the spectrum, which would help explain why when he is pretending to be "bruce wayne" he's so bad at meaningful emotional human interaction.
    But I ultimately felt that Bruce's behavior was likely due to a combo of not being right upstairs and his father is likely a larger than life social figure who dominates the household leaving little room for Bruce to develop a personality of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    It's always hard to tell with child actors, but he just stands there pretty emotionally disinterested, even when his parents are being threatened and ultimately shot, he is withdrawn. It could be that they are going for the Batman is on the spectrum, which would help explain why when he is pretending to be "bruce wayne" he's so bad at meaningful emotional human interaction.
    But I ultimately felt that Bruce's behavior was likely due to a combo of not being right upstairs and his father is likely a larger than life social figure who dominates the household leaving little room for Bruce to develop a personality of his own.
    Oh, I didn't mean direction or the kid's lack of acting skills, I meant Bruce Wayne might be as you mentioned, in the shadow of his father and might have already had some kind of developmental issues even before his parents passed away. I might, I hope the director would cast a kid that can at least know how to smile if he wanted him to. Bruce being all serious was deliberate. If it was only to foreshadow who he would be or because the director was hinting at some kind of repressed mental issues a young Bruce might have had even before the trauma of losing his parents, only the director knows.

Knives Out (8/10): An good detective/murder story. It feels as if Daniel Craig is playing as Kevin Spacey (feels like the role was for him), but hes pulling it out. But I wish he could have had some make-up/prosthetics (mustache, beard, etc) to add more to the character. A solid entertainment.

Doctor Doolittle (6.5/10): First movie for Downey Jr. after the MCU saga.... Im just not believing the accent he's using and it kinda destroys the performance, IMO. The CGI/animals are well made and funny. A good kid movie, but nothing ground breaking. I think Downey should try darkers or more serious/intellectual movies in the future.

Ip Man 4 (6/10): Final chapter of the Ip Man Saga. Suggested for the fans of the series (or Bruce Lee fanatics or something), otherwise not a miss.

6 Underground (7.5/10): I wasn't expecting much but its a fast paced, action packed movie. Funny and entertaining.

1917 - this has got to be a cinematography masterpiece, the one shot thing was so well done.

Brilliant film.

The Color Out of Space

Holy fuck. Bizarre. Intense. Grotesque. Beautiful. This is possibly my favorite horror movie now. The reviews simply don't do the experience justice.

If I'm being stingy, then I give it a 9/10.

1917. Amazing. 9.5 out of 10

Parasite - either 9 out of 10

Quite liked it! It's a very class-based story, and had me debating who was really "parasitic" or not in the end. Gets surprisingly dark in the end, btw!

I would've given it an 8 or an 8.5, but I gave it a 9 simply because its a story that's done something new - or at least done something in a way I haven't seen before, so It was a nice bit of originality. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Parasite - either 9 out of 10

Quite liked it! It's a very class-based story, and had me debating who was really "parasitic" or not in the end. Gets surprisingly dark in the end, btw!

I would've given it an 8 or an 8.5, but I gave it a 9 simply because its a story that's done something new - or at least done something in a way I haven't seen before, so It was a nice bit of originality. ^_^
    Yeah Parasite is great, recommended it earlier in the thread before all the oscar buzz.

Really interesting film that works on a lot of levels. Its interesting when you think of each character on different spectrum of being a "parasite" which is nicely covered in opening scenes with one character wanting to shut the flat windows and another wanting to keep the windows open for "free debugging". Wont go into spoilers but also watching the film and the way it uses levels is really well done. Like the lower class walking up and the director using upward shots going into the rich upper class, and then using lower imagery for lower class. Sounds simple but when you consider things like the higher class characters never look down. It does quite interesting things for the story/world built.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Joker - 8/10

It made me really uncomfortable at times which i guess is what they were going for. Not my cup of tea, probably not many people's unless they're mentally ill psychopaths, but overall it was a good film.

Terminator - Dark Fate 5/10

The only good part in it was Arnie.