10+ Year Old Account
    The disease appears to have a ~3% mortality rate, and from cursory research those fatalities appear to have been in people with already weakened immune systems. Certainly not an "apocalyptic plague."

I remember when the doomsayers here were saying we'd all die to ebola or the zika virus.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    The shitty thing about viruses is that once you got them, you can only really treat symptoms, and ride it out till your immune system takes care of the rest.

Viruses are not really a living organism (just a protein vessel with some RNA or DNA inside), so things that works on bacterial infections, like antibiotics, will do jack shit.

The only real ''treatment'' is developing a vaccine so you wont get it in the first place.
    What about those of us that don't want poison injected into us?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner
    Do it anyway. It is either the "poison" you know, which at least had some reason to be manufactured to minimize damage to your system, or the poison you don't know ... a disease unpleasant enough that companies invested money into trying to prevent it.

Lucky for you, you won't have to worry too much yet about some of the really unpleasant ones. Things like polio aren't the danger they once were because of vaccinations, but other things are making a come back already because of people who would rather put others at risk.

Today, when you aren't suffering from one of those diseases, it is easy to talk about not wanting "poison" injected into you. If you've ever had even ordinary pneumonia, you might feel differently. Having your lungs fill up with fluid (or for extra fun pus) is most of the fun of waterboarding except the disease doesn't take a break to let you breathe. I've had it twice. The most recent bout was more than 30 years ago and doctors still spot it on my X-rays.

While some people may suffer a reaction to vaccinations, go read the side effects of various medications you'll be put if you do catch something that puts you in the hospital. Good luck saying no to quarantine, they don't give you a choice.

Fear of a pandemic gets hyped to the point we may be desensitized to it, but there is a reason the possibility of something getting out of control worries even the professionals. We only have to miss once. Be safe and respect the rights of others not to be put at risk, the same as you would hopefully not make a choice to drive drunk.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Do it anyway. It is either the "poison" you know, which at least had some reason to be manufactured to minimize damage to your system, or the poison you don't know ... a disease unpleasant enough that companies invested money into trying to prevent it.

Lucky for you, you won't have to worry too much yet about some of the really unpleasant ones. Things like polio aren't the danger they once were because of vaccinations, but other things are making a come back already because of people who would rather put others at risk.

Today, when you aren't suffering from one of those diseases, it is easy to talk about not wanting "poison" injected into you. If you've ever had even ordinary pneumonia, you might feel differently. Having your lungs fill up with fluid (or for extra fun pus) is most of the fun of waterboarding except the disease doesn't take a break to let you breathe. I've had it twice. The most recent bout was more than 30 years ago and doctors still spot it on my X-rays.

While some people may suffer a reaction to vaccinations, go read the side effects of various medications you'll be put if you do catch something that puts you in the hospital. Good luck saying no to quarantine, they don't give you a choice.

Fear of a pandemic gets hyped to the point we may be desensitized to it, but there is a reason the possibility of something getting out of control worries even the professionals. We only have to miss once. Be safe and respect the rights of others not to be put at risk, the same as you would hopefully not make a choice to drive drunk.
    Thanks for the reality check. Sometimes I forget how far removed political talk is from real life.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Omega10 De nada. Another time I'd be less tense about the situation, but people were already scattering all across China for Spring Festival. I won't be surprised if a whole bunch of cases pop up in another week or so, with people having assumed they just had a cold or were suffering form pollution (which tends to go up around Spring Festival) and chugged traditional Chinese herbal medicine for it. Hopefully the quarantine procedures they're firing up won't turn out to be too little, too late.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I've found the culprit! Now Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding can start synthesizing a serum

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Then perish?

Dunno what to tell you. I kinda prefer living life not being surrounded by people with polio and smallpox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Omega10 De nada. Another time I'd be less tense about the situation, but people were already scattering all across China for Spring Festival. I won't be surprised if a whole bunch of cases pop up in another week or so, with people having assumed they just had a cold or were suffering form pollution (which tends to go up around Spring Festival) and chugged traditional Chinese herbal medicine for it. Hopefully the quarantine procedures they're firing up won't turn out to be too little, too late.
    Fingers crossed, and I hope you are wrong about your prediction about a whole bunch of cases popping up in another week or so. Your scenario sounds quite plausible though

Alternatively we could just ban Chinese from travelling into non-affected regions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alternatively we could just ban Chinese from travelling into non-affected regions.
    Shockingly enough, this virus is capable of spreading to more than just Chinese nationals.

Using an outbreak of disease to push a nonsense anti-vax and jingoistic agenda? Classy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Shockingly enough, this virus is capable of spreading to more than just Chinese nationals.

Using an outbreak of disease to push a nonsense anti-vax and jingoistic agenda? Classy.
    I don't think that word means what you think it does.

Nice try at attempting to come across as intellectual though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10
    and I hope you are wrong about your prediction about a whole bunch of cases popping up in another week or so.
    There are times I would really, really like to be wrong and this is one of them.

It looks like this virus could be a real oddball:
    The researchers used an analysis of the protein codes favored by the new coronavirus and compared it to the protein codes from coronaviruses found in different animal hosts, like birds, snakes, marmots, hedgehogs, manis, bats and humans. Surprisingly, they found that the protein codes in the 2019-nCoV are most similar to those used in snakes.

Snakes often hunt for bats in wild. Reports indicate that snakes were sold in the local seafood market in Wuhan, raising the possibility that the 2019-nCoV might have jumped from the host species -- bats -- to snakes and then to humans at the beginning of this coronavirus outbreak. However, how the virus could adapt to both the cold-blooded and warm-blooded hosts remains a mystery.

The authors of the report and other researchers must verify the origin of the virus through laboratory experiments. Searching for the 2019-nCoV sequence in snakes would be the first thing to do. However, since the outbreak, the seafood market has been disinfected and shut down, which makes it challenging to trace the new virus' source animal.
    Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/22/h...ner/index.html

Originally, it didn't seem to have human to human transmission. Later, human to human transmission was reported. Since the initial response was less than diligent it would be nice to suppose human to human transmission just took awhile to show up, but if this thing really did skip from bat>snake>human I have to wonder if this is one of those diseases that will turn out to keep mutating at a rate that makes it difficult to treat.

A couple of months ago, all I had to worry about was reported outbreaks of plague from Inner Mongolia (https://americanmilitarynews.com/201...ier-this-year/).

Stay safe, everyone. While this is the flashy new "could this be the next pandemic" headline, remember that plain old influenza still has this beat hands down:
    CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 13 million flu illnesses, 120,000 hospitalizations and 6,600 deaths from flu.
    Source: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner
    You probably didn't think that through, did you? I suspect that you're posting from Zandalar anyway since you are a recent account tossing out bait like the anti-vax post (your post history suggests a pattern we've seen before from another poster), but let's pretend you're serious. There are quite a few people of Chinese heritage that hold foreign citizenship, but they visit family in China -- particularly at times like Spring Festival. There are also expats who live and work in China, and don't forget tourists either. Those are just a couple of the more obvious problems with your suggestion.

Well, then you either have to suck it up and potentially gain a lifethreatenining disease without treatment (while putting other people at risk), or get the symptoms treated with medicine which is far worse and contains ''more poisons'' than the standard vaccines.

And if you genuinely think that they contain ''poison'', it genuinely shows a complete lack of knowledge in anything regarding biology and chemistry.
    A lot of compounds changes their abilities and effects when they make reactions and create other compounds. Like sodium and chloride. one is highly reactive and explosive with water, the other is poisonous and pose a health risk. when combined it's table salt, and pose no risk.

other than that, if we actually put the chemical composition of daily products instead of the ''layman terms'' like they do with vaccines, people would probably think it's poison as well.

Example:

Look at all those phenols, acids, metals and compounds.
    It even contains things like aluminium which vaccines are bashed for. strontium and copper is highly toxic for you as well.
    But hey, this is nothing but a cup of coffee. When all these chemicals react and make up coffee, they're not poisonous/dangerous, and in fact in the right dose is considered healthy.

And the same goes for things like cherries, apples, almonds, plums etc; they contain amygdalin which is a cyanogenic compound that gets turned in to hydrogen cyanide and benzaldehyde when you digest it.

All of those ''poisons'' that people claim to be in vaccines is already something we ingest and synthesize in our own bodies (Spoiler: the primary source for formaldehyde intake in humans, is the formaldehyde we synthesize ourselves) in vastly higher amounts than whats in an vaccine.
    Last edited by freezion; 2020-01-23 at 10:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

The coronavirus

None talking about this? Well:

Seems as of reading this the death toll has raised to 17 people, and reported cases in Japan, Australia, Tasmania, and even as far as France and America.

Reminds me of the sars virus years ago, some saying it might be a new mutation of sars

Mod Edit: Both threads were merged.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-01-23 at 02:19 PM.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Started a thread, only now noticed you already started one, hee.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The disease appears to have a ~3% mortality rate, and from cursory research those fatalities appear to have been in people with already weakened immune systems. Certainly not an "apocalyptic plague."

I remember when the doomsayers here were saying we'd all die to ebola or the zika virus.
    Fact is we have a more advanced system now of containing these outbreaks.
    #boycottchina

Could use a new plague to cut the population down abit.
    Do you hear the voices too?

They locked down Wuhan O_O

Must be serious stuff for such drastic measures

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    They locked down Wuhan O_O

Must be serious stuff for such drastic measures
    Talk about shutting the barn door after all the cows left. This is both a drastic and utterly futile gesture had they done it a month ago that maybe would have been useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    And they say her post went viral.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other...nce/ar-BBZh2HQ

The Chinese embassy in Paris has tracked down a woman from Wuhan who said she took tablets to pass airport health checks.

The woman boasted on social media that she had been suffering from a fever, but managed to reduce her symptoms with medicine.

She later posted pictures showing herself dining at what she claimed was a French Michelin-starred restaurant.

The embassy has now confirmed that her symptoms are under control.

The woman left Wuhan - where the new coronavrius emerged late last year - before flights were suspended.
    Great, the special snowflakes are doing their part! /facepalm