View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Steve Mnuchin says that a US/UK trade could be agreed this year (although the threat to slap a 25% tariff on UK cars in response to proposed digital taxes is a cause for concern). Interestingly he says “What we think is drugs should have similar prices wherever they are, but don’t believe we’re in any position to tell UK what to pay.” which goes against the narrative of some.

This could well turn out to be nothing or it could potentially shape much of Brexit's future.

https://www.cityam.com/us-treasury-s...uck-this-year/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Steve Mnuchin says that a US/UK trade could be agreed this year (although the threat to slap a 25% tariff on UK cars in response to proposed digital taxes is a cause for concern). Interestingly he says “What we think is drugs should have similar prices wherever they are, but don’t believe we’re in any position to tell UK what to pay.” which goes against the narrative of some.

This could well turn out to be nothing or it could potentially shape much of Brexit's future.

So what do you think? Does the current US administration strike you as honest people who wouldn't promise everything to finally take home a win?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Any deal we signed with the US this year would be on the basis of the US saying "this is the deal, sign it" and us agreeing. Anything beyond that isn't going to get done in a year, because trade deals don't work like that.

Saying that, the TTIP that was offered to the EU I believe Boris (or possibly Cameron, it may have been a while back) said they would sign it as it was. Even though the EU rejected it as being weighted too much in favour of the US. So I wouldn't put it past Boris and his compendium of morons from just signing that and calling it a sucess.

Any deal we get with Trump in charge will be shit for us, without question.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    That's a peculiar idea. The reasons why a UK/US trade deal may be less that ideal for the UK has nothing to do with Trump.
    This is a man that has repeatedly decried existing deals because he doesn't understand trade or economics. He can only look at the balance of payments between two countries and focus on that; a surplus is a good thing, a deficit means the other country is "screwing" the USA. Which means he then looks for deals that he believes will restore that in the US favour, which means to him placing additional taxes on goods coming from that country, while removing any that exist the other way.

So yes, I would see any deal that Trump would be willing to sign off being weighted in favour of the US under Trump. On top of anything related to US Health concerns or the ability of US companies to sue the UK in US courts that are likely to be there regardless of who the President is.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

There are british cars americans buy? And where people actually care about the price... unlike when buying Rolls Royce, Jaguar or Bentley.

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    There are british cars americans buy? And where people actually care about the price... unlike when buying Rolls Royce, Jaguar or Bentley.
    There are British made cars that Americans buy, roughly 14% of UK produced cars are exported to the US.

There are British made cars that Americans buy, roughly 14% of UK produced cars are exported to the US.
    Yeah, but aren't those essentially only super expensive luxury cars, which is then again, owned by Volkswagen and others?
    Even the Mini is owned by BMW. British car industry is pretty much shattered since the late nineties.

Yeah, but aren't those essentially only super expensive luxury cars, which is then again, owned by Volkswagen and others?
    Even the Mini is owned by BMW. British car industry is pretty much shattered since the late nineties.
    I'm not sure that I understand the point you are making.

Cars produced in the UK could be subject to 25% tariff when exported to the US, it doesn't matter whether the factory that made the cars are owned by British companies or not.

7+ Year Old Account
    A US/UK trade deal is already a done deal. Just like this one...

Are you watching, Brussels? UK and Japan unite for deal FAR BIGGER than EU’s

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...european-union

Tick tock, one week to go until freedom eurochums and this is what it looks like, the whole world is outside the EU. Who is at the back of the queue now?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I'm not sure that I understand the point you are making.

Cars produced in the UK could be subject to 25% tariff when exported to the US, it doesn't matter whether the factory that made the cars are owned by British companies or not.
    I mean, the only cars,the UK produces for import are luxury cars, where nobody cares about the price. Using a tariff on such a luxury product is not really useful as leverage, because it is not really a product of high demand.
    The UK doesn't have any form of significant mass car production.

I mean, the only cars,the UK produces for import are luxury cars, where nobody cares about the price. Using a tariff on such a luxury product is not really useful as leverage, because it is not really a product of high demand.
    The UK doesn't have any form of significant mass car production.
    The UK manufactures around 1.5 million cars per year of which around 80% are exported. If - and this is a big if - the US did decide to place a 25% tariff on UK cars it would apply to all cars produced in the UK regardless of the fact that these UK manufactured cars are Nissans, Toyotas, Hondas, etc.

I would also think that whilst a potential McLaren buyer is not going to be as price sensitive as, say, a Nissan buyer an extra 22.5% tax on a $200,000 car is not something that can easily be ignored.

15+ Year Old Account
    The UK manufactures around 1.5 million cars per year of which around 80% are exported. If - and this is a big if - the US did decide to place a 25% tariff on UK cars it would apply to all cars produced in the UK regardless of the fact that these UK manufactured cars are Nissans, Toyotas, Hondas, etc.
    UK car exports to the US are ~18% to the EU it's 53%. You might want to get your priorities in order.

I would also think that whilst a potential McLaren buyer is not going to be as price sensitive as, say, a Nissan buyer an extra 22.5% tax on a $200,000 car is not something that can easily be ignored.
    Most exported cars to the US:

1) Honda Civic
    2) Jaguar F-Pace
    3) Range Rover Sport
    4) Mini One
    5) Range Rover
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

A sign of things to come with regard to UK divergence?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51240785

One more thing to complicate the border in the Irish sea that Boris is still trying to convince people won't actually exist.

10+ Year Old Account

Wait, so they supported it in the EU but won't apply similar laws for their own country?
    That's pretty funny.

A13 laws are pretty stupid though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    And I'd say you have a slightly better chance at a good deal under Trump's disruptive presence. He is desperate to get deals done to have something to show to the voters in 2020.
    I wouldn't say that at all, his entire Presidency, such as it is, has revolved around pulling out of deals and throwing all his allied trading partners under the bus.

I don't know if there's ever a good time to negotiate this deal, because the US's whole interest in this matter is that it now has the UK over a barrel and it's getting ready to fuck its ass with a barbed wire condom on. But Trump is one of the least positive signs.

I have no idea why Brexiteers persist in this fantasy that the US will ride to its rescue lol. The US is circling like a vulture because the UK is in a weaker bargaining position.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    A US/UK trade deal is already a done deal. Just like this one...

Are you watching, Brussels? UK and Japan unite for deal FAR BIGGER than EU’s

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...european-union

Tick tock, one week to go until freedom eurochums and this is what it looks like, the whole world is outside the EU. Who is at the back of the queue now?
    Of course, the US can't wait to exploit your weaker bargaining position lol.

Pro tip, if your opposite number is super keen to make a deal, it's because they're going to get the better of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Of course, the US can't wait to exploit your weaker bargaining position lol.

Pro tip, if your opposite number is super keen to make a deal, it's because they're going to get the better of you.
    More like the EU is pooping itself as the UK/US deal soon reaches a swift conclusion. As one prominent German admits in this article today, read it, weep eurochums and see the pros of the brexit boom beginning for the UK and wish you were as lucky and free as we. A little effort on your part and you could be.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...ty-Brexit.html

Only on Thursday, an authoritative study by the Confederation of British Industry reported:-

The biggest surge in confidence on record among manufacturers.
    The jobless rate in the UK is at its lowest since 1974.
    A backdrop of a rising pound.
    A resurgence in the property market.
    A significant fall in Government borrowing.

One side of the brexit debacle faces the world weak, scared and fearful of the future, that's not the open for business, confident and now strong and stable UK. Reality dawns even for the most vocal of the project fear remainers.

6 days and counting...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Great, the dailymail is quoting bild.

Good luck dribbs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh how i wished in 6 days this finally would be over, it would just be yet another chapter in this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Great, the dailymail is quoting bild.

Good luck dribbs.
    The bigliest by circulation and most popular newspaper in Germany has an editor very jealous of Brexit? My my, the EU is in trouble. German exit next? The power of msm should not be underestimated...