Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It may also undergo a pretty hard genre shift. I haven't read the Takeshi Novacs books in a while, but I recall there being a really serious dynamic shift between books at some point (again, not in a bad way at all).
    Yeah, I tried reading the books and just could not get into book 2. The jump from cyberpunk noir to future military action was just too big of a shift for me and I lost interest. It's odd because The Expanse goes through similar genre shifts and that one didn't bother me as much because it was much more of a gradual shift and it still maintained a lot of the same cast. It has been awhile, but I believe Kovacs is the only character that remains from book 1 to 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Yeah, I tried reading the books and just could not get into book 2. The jump from cyberpunk noir to future military action was just too big of a shift for me and I lost interest. It's odd because The Expanse goes through similar genre shifts and that one didn't bother me as much because it was much more of a gradual shift and it still maintained a lot of the same cast. It has been awhile, but I believe Kovacs is the only character that remains from book 1 to 2.
    There's some backstory stuff that remains consistently relevant in flashbacks, but otherwise, yeah, Kovacs is the constant, everything else changes.

It'll be interesting to see if they pull it off, because it's an interesting concept for a show, where you can basically reframe the entire concept and cast every season, but maintain one re-cast character as the center around which everything takes place.

I think there's a reason Morgan stopped at three books, though; even if S2 is successful and we get S3, I hope they don't try for more. Just do the books and sign off.

10+ Year Old Account
    It may also undergo a pretty hard genre shift. I haven't read the Takeshi Novacs books in a while, but I recall there being a really serious dynamic shift between books at some point (again, not in a bad way at all).
    Yeah, I've actually read the books, so I'm more than familiar wth re-sleeving! I'm excited to see what Anthony Mack will do, with the Kovac role. Will be sad to see Higareda go, though. She was SO hot.

As for when the books take a bit of a left turn... IIRC it's teased a bit in book two, then goes into full force in book three. Not sure how closely Netflix will follow that pattern, though. They might move some elements forward, just to ease that swerve a little... but who knows?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Reminder that Season 2 is likely to have an almost entirely new cast, even Kovacs as the main character, if they're following the books. This is where you'll really start to notice the re-sleeving.
    I wouldn't mind myself, but I doubt they'll do it. We'll see I guess (though I only sub to Netflix on occasion rather than every month), I'm not attached to any of the actors really, no matter how hot Higareda is.

Not being critical either, I'm just pre-empting a "why did they recast all the characters?" spiel. It's got nothing to do with how well/poorly last season went, it's just a consequence of being re-sleeved into a new body on a new planet, the core conceit of the setting.
    Though, I will say that the russian gangster guy actor was the only one that really pulled off a resleeve as an old mexican lady. Everyone else spoke basically as themselves.

Who knows how they'll change the material, even season 1 got pretty altered I think? If it was successful, they may want to stick to formula closer than the original material.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I wouldn't mind myself, but I doubt they'll do it. We'll see I guess (though I only sub to Netflix on occasion rather than every month), I'm not attached to any of the actors really, no matter how hot Higareda is.
    They've already re-cast Joel Kinnamon's Kovacs with Anthony Mackie. The Joel Kinnamon sleeve has been re-sleeved with the proper consciousness so that he and hot Latina detective lady can be a couple again. Sorry, I'm bad with names.

Who knows if they'll just abandon the whole rest of the cast and crew, but the storyline of s1 was wrapped up enough that I could see them just fucking off to some completely different setting in the same universe.

Yea with the new cast I really have no interest. I'm sorry but I like a consistent character.

almost forgot about the series but since it's about to continue i'll probably rewatch the first season and let it continue into the next one. sometimes that pans out and some times it doesn't.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    They've already re-cast Joel Kinnamon's Kovacs with Anthony Mackie. The Joel Kinnamon sleeve has been re-sleeved with the proper consciousness so that he and hot Latina detective lady can be a couple again. Sorry, I'm bad with names.

Who knows if they'll just abandon the whole rest of the cast and crew, but the storyline of s1 was wrapped up enough that I could see them just fucking off to some completely different setting in the same universe.
    Looking at the listed cast for season two, only returning characters are Kovacs played by a new actor, the Poe AI, and Quellcrist Falconer who if I remember correctly, is only in flashbacks. I guess we could see Byron Mann as the original Kovacs in flashback as well but thus far he isn't listed on imdb.

The last episode of season 2 is Broken Angels, the title of the second book, so it is safe to say they are at least going to use it as a blueprint even if they don't follow it exactly. The Expanse does the same thing, naming the final episode of each season after the novel that season is based on.
    Last edited by Skizzit; 2020-01-22 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I like Mackie as Falcon, but I don't know about him here, but I guess we'll see.

As I said, I don't say subbed to Netflix, so I'll try to remember this show exists when I next sub, unless the reviews are all horrible.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Season 2 has a release date of the 27/02/20.
    Oh .. it actually got a season 2

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Yea with the new cast I really have no interest. I'm sorry but I like a consistent character.
    So did you just stop watching season 1 halfway through when people started re-sleeving ?

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    So did you just stop watching season 1 halfway through when people started re-sleeving ?
    Did the main character re-sleeve halfway through season 1? No.

This is exciting, glad to have a release date. I loved the first season. I have also been waiting for a Bright 2 that was a great movie, kind of Shadowrun style of world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Releases in a month and they don't even have a trailer out??

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's some backstory stuff that remains consistently relevant in flashbacks, but otherwise, yeah, Kovacs is the constant, everything else changes.

It'll be interesting to see if they pull it off, because it's an interesting concept for a show, where you can basically reframe the entire concept and cast every season, but maintain one re-cast character as the center around which everything takes place.

I think there's a reason Morgan stopped at three books, though; even if S2 is successful and we get S3, I hope they don't try for more. Just do the books and sign off.
    I do think with the recent success of "serial" season tv shows - like American Horror Story (and more recently AMC's "The Terror", Netflix "The Haunting of.." and Hulu's "Castle Rock" to name the ones I know about); have at least helped the tv watching population become more comfortable with actors being "brand new characters" every year and tv shows being able to totally change the plot every season and still keep their fans.

When AHS first came out and I found out they were changing the story 'every season' (but using the same actors) I thought 'no way - "we" aren't ready no matter how well they pull it off." I was happy to see the tv watching populace prove me wrong (for once lol). So I hold out hope that more shows can get more creative with this, experiment more with how stories are told, try for stories previously thought 'un-doable' for the tv medium - and continue to show production companies it can mean $$ success.

I'm hoping *crosses fingers*!

(For myself I would be if they stopped at season three for AC, even if I get that's where the books stopped. I just want more seasons for shows I like... lol)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    I do think with the recent success of "serial" season tv shows - like American Horror Story (and more recently AMC's "The Terror", Netflix "The Haunting of.." and Hulu's "Castle Rock" to name the ones I know about); have at least helped the tv watching population become more comfortable with actors being "brand new characters" every year and tv shows being able to totally change the plot every season and still keep their fans.

When AHS first came out and I found out they were changing the story 'every season' (but using the same actors) I thought 'no way - "we" aren't ready no matter how well they pull it off." I was happy to see the tv watching populace prove me wrong (for once lol). So I hold out hope that more shows can get more creative with this, experiment more with how stories are told, try for stories previously thought 'un-doable' for the tv medium - and continue to show production companies it can mean $$ success.

I'm hoping *crosses fingers*!

(For myself I would be if they stopped at season three for AC, even if I get that's where the books stopped. I just want more seasons for shows I like... lol)
    I mean, if they get Morgan in to write Season 4, and he's got an idea for that story, fine. I'd just be worried about what happened with Game of Thrones; once they ran out of the author's stories, the subsequent stuff fell apart. If Morgan doesn't know where to take Kovacs in a 4th installment, I don't have much expectation that the Netflix writing team would either. It's not like Morgan's stopped writing or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    It makes me a bit sad that this trend didn't catch on earlier. The original idea for the TV show Heroes was to have a totally new cast of characters each season to keep the whole "ordinary people discovering they have super powers" thing going but they didn't think anyone would keep watching. We see how well that worked out for them.
    I mean, if they get Morgan in to write Season 4, and he's got an idea for that story, fine. I'd just be worried about what happened with Game of Thrones; once they ran out of the author's stories, the subsequent stuff fell apart. If Morgan doesn't know where to take Kovacs in a 4th installment, I don't have much expectation that the Netflix writing team would either. It's not like Morgan's stopped writing or something.
    GoT was a combination of a few different things. Running out of course material was only part of it. I am pretty sure they didn't plan ahead for that possibility at all and just assumed Martin would continue to write and release the rest of the series before the TV show caught up. Plus, of course, D&D are a couple of talentless hacks as well.

That said, I am glad that The Witcher and the up coming Wheel of Time series are both working from completed series so they won't run into those issues.

This is gonna be so hard to watch, can't believe they got such a horrible actor in place. This guy has been a nobody on screen. And I'm done being optimistic when it comes to tv-shows. It's gonna end up as punisher season 2, which was horseshit compared to s1.

Only thing I feel certain of is that this is gonna get canceled.

/praying I'm wrong

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    This is gonna be so hard to watch, can't believe they got such a horrible actor in place. This guy has been a nobody on screen. And I'm done being optimistic when it comes to tv-shows. It's gonna end up as punisher season 2, which was horseshit compared to s1.

Only thing I feel certain of is that this is gonna get canceled.

/praying I'm wrong
    I am starting to believe that may actually be part of Netflix's business plan. Build a bunch of hype for the first season of a brand new series to boost new subscriptions and then just phone in another season or two and cancel the series. It isn't like the second season of a series is going to get them that many new subscribers after all so why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Did the main character re-sleeve halfway through season 1? No.
    Yes, she did. Maybe you were too busy ogling the bewbies, but that wasn't actually her at the time.