Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starlord View Post
    what does this have to do with food stamps again?
    Guys like Orlong think their opinions on LGBTQ people are important so they take every chance they get to express it. Normal people find it annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    No, its not. Its them looking for attention, and to try and get people to make a snide comment or deny them service so they can make a huge issue out of it. Most gay people dress normal and people dont even know they are gay
    It's time to come out of the closet, brother. There is a community out there to support your true self.

From your article it seems many are people who refuse to take anything but a cushy job with high pay. They dont want to work shifting schedules (boo hoo hoo, most people have worked jobs like that at some point). They dont want jobs that dont provide sick pay or benefits, and then the big one. They dont want to take a job that will kick them off benefits because they make more getting benefits than they do from their new job, rather than pick up a second job)
    Which people, specifically?

Because I saw issues where people without transportation weren't able to make it to their jobs due to inconsistent public transit schedules, especially with ever-changing shifts that mean they're always trying to find out how they'll be able to get to work.

And people want a full-time job with benefits? Perish the thought. Those entitled jerks, they're poor and should be happy with whatever they get!

And yes, sometimes better benefits outweigh higher pay, especially if you have medical issues to deal with because it will save them more money in the longrun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    Guys like Orlong think their opinions on LGBTQ people are important so they take every chance they get to express it. Normal people find it annoying.
    You guys are the ones that brought it up

Don't forget his hatred of unions. He hates the fact that he'd be begging for food stamps if he wasn't in one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Because I saw issues where people without transportation weren't able to make it to their jobs due to inconsistent public transit schedules, especially with ever-changing shifts that mean they're always trying to find out how they'll be able to get to work.

And people want a full-time job with benefits? Perish the thought. Those entitled jerks, they're poor and should be happy with whatever they get!

And yes, sometimes better benefits outweigh higher pay, especially if you have medical issues to deal with because it will save them more money in the longrun.
    Even in backwoods West Virginia, people drive for Uber at any time in the day or night.

lets not forget auto lobbyists literally destroying public transportation in order to force people to buy cars. those too poor to afford one are in most places SOL for even buying fresh groceries in some areas.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    You guys are the ones that brought it up
    Yeah, because we really brought up your opinions on the community. No one cares what you think, dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Don't forget his hatred of unions. He hates the fact that he'd be begging for food stamps if he wasn't in one.
    Shocking. I mean, really, totally shocking.

Even in backwoods West Virginia, people drive for Uber at any time in the day or night.
    How are people too poor to afford food, and need to be on food stamps, supposed to afford a rideshare to/from work, again? These are people with no transportation and relying on cheaper public transit, and believe it or not ride shares aren't always readily available outside of urban areas.

So, too poor to afford food, but enough money to afford a potential $50 uber round-trip just to get to/from a job that they may be making $100 a day at. Awesome, I'm not sure how these finances work out in your head, but I'd love to learn more.

How are people too poor to afford food, and need to be on food stamps, supposed to afford a rideshare to/from work, again? These are people with no transportation and relying on cheaper public transit, and believe it or not ride shares aren't always readily available outside of urban areas.

So, too poor to afford food, but enough money to afford a potential $50 uber round-trip just to get to/from a job that they may be making $100 a day at. Awesome, I'm not sure how these finances work out in your head, but I'd love to learn more.
    Don't you know they are supposed to pull themselves up by their boot straps /s

Yeah, because we really brought up your opinions on the community. No one cares what you think, dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Shocking. I mean, really, totally shocking.
    Remember, he hates unions, butbhudes behind the protection of his. He believes everyone has the capability to negotiate better salaries and benefits on their own, but stay in the union.

Food-stamps are tricky. I think they’re okay to help people on a tight budget, but I don’t think they should go to people living on the street. Those people belong in soup kitchens and shelters until they feel self worth, and can get a job. The problem with most homeless people is they aren’t right in the head (depression/anxiety), so until we figure out how to solve that they will continue to be homeless, and food stamps just enables them.
    Last edited by muto; 2020-01-24 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Food-stamps are tricky. I think they’re okay to help people on a tight budget, but I don’t think they should go to people living on the street. Those people belong in soup kitchens and shelters until they feel self worth, and can get a job. The problem with most homeless people is they aren’t right in the head (depression/anxiety), so until we figure out how to solve that they will continue to be homeless, and food stamps just enables them.
    whats the difference between soup kitchens and food stamps? also how does starvation cure mental illness?

10+ Year Old Account
    TLDR: Welfare/foodstamp work requirements still don't work, and don't have any meaningful impact on employment.
    As much as I applaud the study, the mathematician that is me has to point out that West Virginia had too many variables to do a proper apples-to-apples comparison. West Virginia:

1) Still loves them some coal.
    2) Ranks 44th in education. In fact, WV has the lowest rate of people attending college.
    3) Has the fourth highest poverty rate in the US (Actually scroll through that top 10 list, it's...kind of...red)
    4) Was questionably ranked the least fun state to live in.
    5) Has been called the poorest state in the country in terms of median household income.
    6) Was also ranked the least hard working state in the country, by virtue of the highest unemployment, highest youth idle time, and highest hours/day spend on leisure.
    7) Did #1 to #6 above, after overwhelmingly voting for Trump in 2016, and somehow expected help from the federal government.
    8) Is the setting of Fallout 76.

Still, we already knew most SNAP recipients already work anyhow. It's good to see a study that at least attempts to see if the restrictions have any effect, or more to the point, good to see a study in a state that, erm, I don't want to use "had it coming" so I'll use "nobody minds that WV was the test site".

Quote Originally Posted by starlord View Post
    whats the difference between soup kitchens and food stamps? also how does starvation cure mental illness?
    Soup Kitchens give them social interaction so they feel self worth, and will feel encouraged to possibly find a job. Also I didn’t say starvation cures mental illness, but nice try.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Do you honestly believe that there are charities that block black people from receiving help?
    Actually... there are some areas where most charities are churches and they indeed can refuse helping someone who doesn’t align with their “values”

7+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't worry about food, it's practically free in 2020. I saw these giant bags in Costco I think it was beans and/or rice and/or oats and it was something crazy like $10 for 30 pounds of food. They're chalk full of nutrients and would last months and months. It's a miracle that those growers can even make a profit on these kinds of numbers.

No, its not. Its them looking for attention, and to try and get people to make a snide comment or deny them service so they can make a huge issue out of it. Most gay people dress normal and people dont even know they are gay
    So do you have equal problems with people wearing bracelets for recycling causes?

- - - Updated - - -

I’d like to point out red people that are poor in red state who helped elect a red person who cut all the shit their poor assets depend on are shocked... let’s see if they go democrat... if not... I guess they like starving.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I’d like to point out red people that are poor in red state who helped elect a red person who cut all the shit their poor assets depend on are shocked... let’s see if they go democrat... if not... I guess they like starving.
    You can also blame the elitists like Skroe for that because they spread all the "vote based on the person but not on policy" nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Soup Kitchens give them social interaction so they feel self worth, and will feel encouraged to possibly find a job. Also I didn’t say starvation cures mental illness, but nice try.
    people dont get social interaction at stores? and food stamps enable mental illness? your logic is pretty weird.