Patch 8.3 Hotfixes - January 23, 2020, Scaling Changes for Corruption Effects

Patch 8.3 Hotfixes - January 23, 2020
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Allied Races
    • Vulperas’ Bag of Tricks (racial) cooldown is now correctly modified by haste.

Creatures and NPCs
    • Lorewalker Cho should once again be visible to all players in Vale of Eternal Blossoms.

Dungeons and Raids
    • Operation: Mechagon
      • In Mechagon Junkyard and Mechagon Workshop on Mythic Keystone difficulties, end-of-run chests now award Engine of Mecha-Perfection, or Blueprint: Perfectly Timed Differential, or Progression Sprockets for players’ Vision of Perfection (Essence).
    • Ny'alotha, the Waking City
      • Carapace of N’Zoth
        • Resolved an issue where using Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve while in the Den of Transfusion may fail to bring players to Wrathion's side.
        • Resolved an issue where using Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve could remove some player buffs when used.
        • Resolved an issue where Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve's cooldown was not being reset upon the encounter starting.
        • Reduced the health of Mycelial Cysts by 30%.
      • N’Zoth the Corruptor
        • Dispelling corrupted mind should not drain sanity ever, and letting it expire naturally should.

Horrific Visions
    • Fixed an issue where players on the quest “Reconstructing ‘Fear and Flesh’” who skipped all Corrupted Area objectives and completed a Lost Area objective first would not get 1 of their 2 Torn Page of "Fear and Flesh" for that run.

Items and Rewards
    • Corrupted Items
      • Damage dealt by Infinite Stars, Twisted Appendages, and Gushing Wound (Corrupted Effects) is now based on the item level of a Corrupted item, rather than scaling dynamically with Attack Power and Spell Power.
        • Developers’ note: Previously the damage dealt by these powers was modified by Attack Power and Spell Power, which meant that certain specialization abilities or random bonuses could cause drastic swings in their effectiveness. Infinite Stars in particular was too strong against single targets as a result of this and other factors. This change also adjusts Infinite Stars base damage accordingly, as the scaling method was one of the primary factors behind some of the extreme outliers we saw in our logs and from player feedback. Our goal with this change and other adjustments to Corruption powers is to improve parity in the effectiveness per point of Corruption of the different bonuses available on Visions of N’Zoth items.
      • Grand Delusions’ (Corrupted Effect) summoned entity no longer despawns when its owner is crowd controlled by enemy players.
    • Fixed a bug that allowed the Lurking Schemer's Band a small chance at rolling a socket in addition to its baseline socket.
    • Corrupted Gladiator's Spite now has a distinct visual difference between hostile corruption pools and allied corruption pools.
    • Humming Black Dragonscale’s visual effect should no longer break some animations and will now appear as intended when mounted.

Quests
    • Dying during “Waking a Dreamer” can cause players to be unable to see Goldrinn and turn in the quest.
    • While D.I.S.C.O. may be fun for some, dancing is now prohibited within the vicinity of the Chamber of Heart teleporter.
    • Rugged Hyena Pelts now drop from all hyenas in Uldum as well as Amathet Hunters. Players with the Skinning skill will still be able to skin the hyenas for a guaranteed pelt, in addition to any that drop.

Scaling Changes for Corruption Effects
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    With a hotfix that is now live on all realms, we’ve adjusted the damage done by several Corruption Effects:

• Damage dealt by Infinite Stars, Twisted Appendages, and Gushing Wound is now based on the item level of the Corrupted item. This previously scaled dynamically with Attack Power and Spell Power.
    • Lash of the Void damage is now based on the item level of the Corrupted Item, and now procs less often than before.

Previously the damage dealt by these powers was modified by Attack Power and Spell Power, which meant that certain specialization abilities or random bonuses could cause drastic swings in their effectiveness. Infinite Stars in particular was too strong against single targets as a result of this and other factors.

This change also adjusts Infinite Stars base damage accordingly, as the scaling method was one of the primary factors behind some of the extreme outliers we saw in our logs and from player feedback. Our goal with this change and other adjustments to Corruption powers is to improve parity in the effectiveness per point of Corruption of the different bonuses available on Visions of N’Zoth items.
    Last edited by chaud; 2020-01-24 at 03:32 AM.

How this even made it to live is completely beyond me.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    How this even made it to live is completely beyond me.
    Not enough players play testing in the PTR and not enough QC staff doing QC.

Quote Originally Posted by catalystical View Post
    Not enough players play testing in the PTR and not enough QC staff doing QC.
    I wouldn't say there wasn't enough players... even if there were, I put in tons of bug reports and suggestion on the PTR (such as with this corruption scaling issues, the infinite cache in the Vale, etc.). Almost every single bug I reported went live, as well as none of the suggestions being heeded. I guarantee the corruption issue is not a result of a lack of players reporting it on the PTR.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Any numbers for the scaling?

Still have yet to get a single piece of any of this. Just sitting here at 455 ilvl, watching 430s with one infinite stars/echoing void do 30%+ more dmg because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    Still have yet to get a single piece of any of this. Just sitting here at 455 ilvl, watching 430s with one infinite stars/echoing void do 30%+ more dmg because of it.
    Bullshit. If 430s are beating you by 30%, the problem is not corrupted gear. I have a 470 T2 infinite stars and it does about 6% of my overall on most bosses in Ny'alotha.

I feel sorry for the blizz staff that has to implement so many experimental and mindless stuff and than has to rearrange all that crap together.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    Bullshit. If 430s are beating you by 30%, the problem is not corrupted gear. I have a 470 T2 infinite stars and it does about 6% of my overall on most bosses in Ny'alotha.
    Echoing Void does upwards of 30% of my damage in m+ as a DH tank. Single target boss fights might be different, but raiding is not the only content in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    Any numbers for the scaling?
    My 430 rank 2 boots for Infinite stars went from like 28k baseline to 19k baseline. For ivl spread you can look at the caster sword from carapace, which has rank 2 infinite stars.

Ilvl 440 = 21k baseline, 455 = 24k, 470 = 27.5k, and 485 = 32k. So yeah you need like heroic/mythic level gear to get back to pre-nerf damage.

Quote Originally Posted by reauxmont View Post
    Echoing Void does upwards of 30% of my damage in m+ as a DH tank. Single target boss fights might be different, but raiding is not the only content in this game.
    For my fury war, r3 echoing void does about 17% damage regardless of single target or aoe situation. It's ridiculous. I'd imagine for a tank, the ST damage would be even more skewed.

To be honest, since they have given themselves the 1 week buffer before mythic comes out I think they don’t bother (wrong or right) to worry about the tuning as much when they will get tens of thousands of parses in a few days.

Then they adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    I didn't say BEATING me by 30%. I'm saying the corrupted pieces increase their damage by that much. They're keeping up with me, solely based on Echoing Void etc.

I know reading hard.

There's too much damage from non-class abilities. Too much essence/proc blahblah damage. It's weird.