Oh I'm not disagreeing. Star Trek is just as bad, especially given that they have supercomputers doing the targeting and tracking, lmao. It's just really awful with those blasters in Star Wars.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Or, as previously aluded to, someone could just get their hands on an old X-Wing or other ship with a Hyperdrive, load it up with as much junk as it can carry, toss in a droid they don't care about, and boom, goodbye Death Star/Starkiller Base/any stupidly large target that's going to get vaporized thanks to the equation F=MA.

- - - Updated - - -

Tell me about it. Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing those blasters on-screen. The damn things aren't even breaking the sound barrier, and non-Jedi can't dodge that shit?

The first guy to invent gunpowder is going to rule that galaxy.
    Well, in legends, and maybe still canon depending how you view TPM pod race ... slug throwers (what we would call guns) exist in the Star Wars universe, they are just impractical compare to blasters.

Point defense is a thing in Star Wars, and the jump to hyperspace isn't instant (ignoring Hyperspace skipping, that shit is garbage) ... do you think your enemy is just going to let you line up a shot?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Point defense is a thing in Star Wars, and the jump to hyperspace isn't instant (ignoring Hyperspace skipping, that shit is garbage) ... do you think your enemy is just going to let you line up a shot?
    Line up what shot? You can enter hyperspace from across the galaxy. If your target is fixed, or known, you could easily get close enough. Also its not like the weapons of Star Wars have infinite range (except for the new sub-light weapons). So you could easily sit outside range to line it up. Hyperspace is fast enough. In all trilogies there was no real wait to enter. The part that takes a while with hyperspace is the calculations for the route and not actually entering it.

Just think if the empire had a hyperdrive weapon they wouldn't need a ground assault on Hoth. Just point at the generator fire and boom. But no doubt you'll use the word garbage six times to dismiss what you won't accept.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well since we are talking hyperspace, what about Interdictor class SD? First Order didn't need to track Resistance ships via hyperspace tracking - they could just interdict their hyperdrives as they were escaping that planet. Same with Episode 5 over Hoth.

Come to think of it a fleet of Interdictors can protect Death Start from Holdo Maneuver. Also, Han would've never been able to exit hyperspace in Ilum's atmosphere. A single Interdictor could protect the First Order fleet from Holdo as well.

Where art thou, Interdictor?
    Thou art our only hope!

Yeah, but then the movies would be just shorts:

Episode IV: A New Trap
    Episode V: Empire Obliterates Rebels
    Episode VI: The Return of the Death Star
    Episode VII: The Force has been Killed in Its Sleep
    Episode VIII: Finishin' off The Last Resistance
    Episode IX: Kylo & Rey - a Star Wars Love Story About Two Sith Lords (XXX rated)
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

The reason they don't use hyperspace weapons is the same reason that The Flash doesn't just win every fight by punching at near-light-speed velocity - it wouldn't leave room for the story. There really isn't a good in-universe reason NOT to do it, but since it's fiction and not real life the actual narrative takes precedence.

Which, of course, is just another argument for thinking more about what genies you let out of the bottle.

Interdictors fall into a similar category, though they're also problematic because they can come across as a contrivance intended to specifically exclude one thing. Just like how in Star Trek any relevant planet seems to have a highly ionized atmosphere that makes transporters useless, or at least doesn't let them beam in to right where they need to go rather than 2 kilometers out. It's a cop-out for writers.

Well, in legends, and maybe still canon depending how you view TPM pod race ... slug throwers (what we would call guns) exist in the Star Wars universe, they are just impractical compare to blasters.
    Except they are anything but impractical compared to blasters. Unless by impractical you mean it's next to impossible to produce gunpowder (or an equivalent) for some reason. Just pure, basic physics laugh in your face there. "Watch out for that bolt of energy only traveling at only 78 miles per hour! (Yes, people have calculated it.) There's no way to dodge that! I mean, sure, people throw fucking baseballs faster than that, but that's just a minor detail! They're still way more practical than a cheap, inexpensive, mechanically simple device that hurls lead in excess of 700 miles that can't be dodged or deflected with a light saber purely because there's 0 reaction time at close distance! Durrr hurrrr!"

Yeah, because that's how you use it. You're like "okay Death Star, you stay right there while we, ten feet away, spool up our FTL for a kill shot! In no way would we just send it from, you know, literally any distance away within range of the drive and have it come in with zero warning like every fucking FTL ship ever shown on the silver screen does. Because this guy here says it's just not practical! DURRRR HURRRRRRRRRR!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Interdictors fall into a similar category, though they're also problematic because they can come across as a contrivance intended to specifically exclude one thing. Just like how in Star Trek any relevant planet seems to have a highly ionized atmosphere that makes transporters useless, or at least doesn't let them beam in to right where they need to go rather than 2 kilometers out. It's a cop-out for writers.
    But it's funny how canonical Interdictors explain why Holdo Maneuver was not commonly used in SW. First Order just didn't have any. Take that, haters. Canon defeats you once again.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    But it's funny how canonical Interdictors explain why Holdo Maneuver was not commonly used in SW. First Order just didn't have any. Take that, haters. Canon defeats you once again.
    That's why I said contrivance :P

Giving explanations isn't hard.

Giving GOOD explanations is.

Hobbits, eagles, all that. Sometimes it's satisfying, oftentimes it's not. SW works best if you don't look to closely, most of its "science" is the conceptual equivalent of a cardboard cutout and some duct tape. Space magic! It's definitely no Star Trek, and they at least bought science dinner first.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Line up what shot? You can enter hyperspace from across the galaxy. If your target is fixed, or known, you could easily get close enough. Also its not like the weapons of Star Wars have infinite range (except for the new sub-light weapons). So you could easily sit outside range to line it up. Hyperspace is fast enough. In all trilogies there was no real wait to enter. The part that takes a while with hyperspace is the calculations for the route and not actually entering it.

Just think if the empire had a hyperdrive weapon they wouldn't need a ground assault on Hoth. Just point at the generator fire and boom. But no doubt you'll use the word garbage six times to dismiss what you won't accept.
    First off, nothing is "fixed" in space and just because you know your target doesn't mean you can hit your target.

Light speed is 299792458 m/s or 186000 miles/sec this is the low end for a hyperspace weapon. If you are a sec off converting to real space, you have missed your target by miles, hell, even a 10th of a second means you miss the planet. At best it is unreliable. You people going "They could bypass shields" aren't thinking, you are just throwing your hands up and going "THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!"

- - - Updated - - -

Except they are anything but impractical compared to blasters. Unless by impractical you mean it's next to impossible to produce gunpowder (or an equivalent) for some reason. Just pure, basic physics laugh in your face there. "Watch out for that bolt of energy only traveling at only 78 miles per hour! (Yes, people have calculated it.) There's no way to dodge that! I mean, sure, people throw fucking baseballs faster than that, but that's just a minor detail! They're still way more practical than a cheap, inexpensive, mechanically simple device that hurls lead in excess of 700 miles that can't be dodged or deflected with a light saber purely because there's 0 reaction time at close distance! Durrr hurrrr!"

Yeah, because that's how you use it. You're like "okay Death Star, you stay right there while we, ten feet away, spool up our FTL for a kill shot! In no way would we just send it from, you know, literally any distance away within range of the drive and have it come in with zero warning like every fucking FTL ship ever shown on the silver screen does. Because this guy here says it's just not practical! DURRRR HURRRRRRRRRR!"
    One, yes, because it isn't like Blasters are able to carry more rounds/shots than the slug throwers and are lighter ... yeah, no other possible advantages.

And you increase the distance, you increase the likelihood of missing, when you are dealing with large numbers, even small percentages are huge ... yeah, it totally makes sense to launch a bomb through hyperspace and hope that you aren't 0.001% off on the calculations.

So save the DURRR HURRR for your side, that's where it belongs because you aren't bothering to actually look at what would be required.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

First off, nothing is "fixed" in space and just because you know your target doesn't mean you can hit your target.

Light speed is 299792458 m/s or 186000 miles/sec this is the low end for a hyperspace weapon. If you are a sec off converting to real space, you have missed your target by miles, hell, even a 10th of a second means you miss the planet. At best it is unreliable. You people going "They could bypass shields" aren't thinking, you are just throwing your hands up and going "THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!"
    I really hope that a high-tech society, capable of using hyperdrive on any single kind of spaceship and building robots with highly advanced AI is capable of having automated piloting processors able to not be late by 1 full second.

Well, they may be canon but even the writers at Disney weren't aware. Otherwise when this dude proposed to repeat that in RoS, instead of dismissing him with a "yeah but no because no", they would have actually used the real explanation. Which they didn't.

Edit: Thought we were in the RoS threat... I think the last few pages are totally off-topic somehow

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    I really hope that a high-tech society, capable of using hyperdrive on any single kind of spaceship and building robots with highly advanced AI is capable of having automated piloting processors able to not be late by 1 full second.
    Even a 10th of second means you missed the planet. So, why use something that has wide range of possible errors, when more conventional tactics work? The computers aren't fullproof, errors will occur.
    It is like arguing "Why don't we just nuke our enemies in the real world?" You are ignoring a lot and focusing on just one aspect.
    –The Sith Code

Even a 10th of second means you missed the planet. So, why use something that has wide range of possible errors, when more conventional tactics work? The computers aren't fullproof, errors will occur.
    Given the accuracy of any single hyperdrive-jump in the whole Star Wars universe, I'm sure those are perfectly timed within the nanosecond or shit like that. Even when the pilots "manually stop", they're still accurate af.

It is like arguing "Why don't we just nuke our enemies in the real world?" You are ignoring a lot and focusing on just one aspect.
    ... If there was a world-ending threat on the Moon's orbit, it would be totally fine to just nuke it into oblivion instead of relying of one single one-manned ship to destroy a weakness (which was identified by an ex-Janitor working on said threat few weeks ago), or relying on a group of randoms dropped on top of that shit with some horses, or whatever tactic that is actually doomed to fail, except on the big screen where plot holes will protect them from any failure.

Anyway, stopping here for this discussion that has nothing to do with Mandalorian.
    Last edited by Ophenia; 2020-01-23 at 11:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Seems like we gona get a lot of mando lore from here. And maybe even see a siege of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post

Well, they may be canon but even the writers at Disney weren't aware. Otherwise when this dude proposed to repeat that in RoS, instead of dismissing him with a "yeah but no because no", they would have actually used the real explanation. Which they didn't.

Edit: Thought we were in the RoS threat... I think the last few pages are totally off-topic somehow
    Disney canonized the Interdictor. Kind of made a big deal about them too.

Abrams is the weakest when it comes to referencing old stuff.

As far as canon does, the First Order never developed a a new Interdictor and the last one was lost in the Battle of Jakku (according to Wookiepedia).

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Oh I'm not disagreeing. Star Trek is just as bad, especially given that they have supercomputers doing the targeting and tracking, lmao. It's just really awful with those blasters in Star Wars.
    No doubt about it. Star Wars goes far above and beyond most any other sci-fi setting when it comes to stupidly impractical technologies. Mostly as a result of being a franchise based around merchandise first, looking cool on screen second, and making sense a very, very distant third.

At least The Mandalorian seems to lampshade it a bit, or at least avoid the setting's worst pitfalls. Mando himself uses a disintegrator rifle that seemingly hits instantly (wouldn't that be amazing against Jedi, as an aside?). His blaster is a pistol, used at ranges where the low velocity is irrelevant. The AT-ST gets taken out by a crude trap that a not-even-that-modern Arbams tank would drive over blasting heavy metal. And his wrist-mounted weapon is effective in the right situation.

The only impractical tool he uses is the mounted flamethrower, he seems to get his ass kicked every time he uses it. Must be a Mandalorian honor thing to have one of these strapped to your arm at all times.

5+ Year Old Account
    The Armorer might be Bo-Katan in hiding n her no helmet off rule might also to keep her identity from other Mandalorians. Due to her failure to defend Mandalore

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed that there's a lack of people in mos eisley space port (like in wow retail servers), business has gone down since those jedi terrorists brutally murdered beloved philanthropist jabba the hutt, surely the hutts have to do something about this..darn republic...dey tuk our jubz!

We better get a hutt in season two is all I'm saying..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-01-24 at 08:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I noticed that there's a lack of people in mos eisley space port (like in wow retail servers), business has gone down since those jedi terrorists brutally murdered beloved philanthropist jabba the hutt, surely the hutts have to do something about this..darn republic...dey tuk our jubz!
    I think it is just a lack of a hutt. It may just be a result of the different "Tech" to film the movies but it always feels to me like Jabba might have been on the decline by the time of his Death. Then when he died there was no real reason for people to stay and the planet just fell into its own rule. So it turned back into a backwater planet.

I'd rather see a visit to another Hutt realm including Nar Shaddaa. I really want to see some visits to more populated places. It sort of defeats the entire purpose of the show and the "western" style. But some action in a crowd and stuff could be fun. And I want to see more of the "normal" but not-backwater life we saw in parts of the prequels when Obi-wan was chasing the changeling.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I think it is just a lack of a hutt. It may just be a result of the different "Tech" to film the movies but it always feels to me like Jabba might have been on the decline by the time of his Death. Then when he died there was no real reason for people to stay and the planet just fell into its own rule. So it turned back into a backwater planet.

I'd rather see a visit to another Hutt realm including Nar Shaddaa. I really want to see some visits to more populated places. It sort of defeats the entire purpose of the show and the "western" style. But some action in a crowd and stuff could be fun. And I want to see more of the "normal" but not-backwater life we saw in parts of the prequels when Obi-wan was chasing the changeling.
    If anything the Cassia show should have populated places...or warzones...one or the other.

It’s the exact opposite though. If hyperdrives can be weaponized to such a destructive degree Interdictors would be much more prevalent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    It’s the exact opposite though. If hyperdrives can be weaponized to such a destructive degree Interdictors would be much more prevalent.
    Wrong. If an expensive weapon can be easily countered - no one is going to invest in it. Thus no need for lots of interdictors - hence why they are mostly used for traffic control. Anyone who tries this trick - will get beaten up by a small fleet of Interdictors. So it's only a weapon for terrorists.

It can only work once - for the first time, and then whenever your enemy somehow has no Interdictors. Not a good investment - you are better off buying more X-wings.