10+ Year Old Account
    so, correct me if Im wrong

but have any of these people that Michael Purpura is quoting actually said any of this under oath?

Is Trumps defence lawyer claiming that a meeting with VP Pence at the UN general assembly is the same as an official presidental meeting?
    ...really?
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    After this, Trump will be as innocent and exonerated as OJ Simpson and Roman Polanski. I will make it a point of referring to him as such to my friends at times when they try to bring it up.
    With the caveat that this isn't actually a criminal trial, and Trump is still up for being criminally charged in a lot of these matters, once he's out of office. The Senate's trial can't affect that in any way whatsoever; it can just produce more evidence that the criminal courts will make use of.

That's a big reason why McConnell's so dead set against calling witnesses; anything made public record now remains public record when Trump is out of office, and thus the courts don't even need to subpoena it; they can just assume it as facts already in evidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    With the caveat that this isn't actually a criminal trial, and Trump is still up for being criminally charged in a lot of these matters, once he's out of office. The Senate's trial can't affect that in any way whatsoever; it can just produce more evidence that the criminal courts will make use of.

That's a big reason why McConnell's so dead set against calling witnesses; anything made public record now remains public record when Trump is out of office, and thus the courts don't even need to subpoena it; they can just assume it as facts already in evidence.
    Why would the turtle care about Trump though once he's out of office?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Why would the turtle care about Trump though once he's out of office?
    You think Trump's not gonna turn on McConnell and tie him into anything as an accessory, at least?

All he's gotta show is that McConnell knew about the bad shit and didn't pursue it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You think Trump's not gonna turn on McConnell and tie him into anything as an accessory, at least?

All he's gotta show is that McConnell knew about the bad shit and didn't pursue it.
    Heh, that makes sense. No honour among thieves, I guess.

Pretty sure that Trump has the gop by the balls via Russian money used by the nra to fund elections.
    He'll bring the whole party crashing down should he be removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    but have any of these people that Michael Purpura is quoting actually said any of this under oath?
    After listening to the President’s lawyers opening arguments, I have three observations:

They don’t contest the facts of Trump’s scheme.

They’re trying to deflect, distract from, and distort the truth.

And they are continuing to cover it up by blocking documents and witnesses.
    Schiff

So, no, I would say they have not.

Purpura also engaged in lies and distortion because defending Trump requires such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Schiff

So, no, I would say they have not.

Purpura also engaged in lies and distortion because defending Trump requires such.
    I thought so, but couldnt remember

and this is keeping in mind Amb. Sondland started changing his story once other people under oath didnt agree with his story.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Pretty sure that Trump has the gop by the balls via Russian money used by the nra to fund elections.
    He'll bring the whole party crashing down should he be removed.
    It's gotta be something like that. At this point these is almost no loss for booting Trump and having Pence take the reins. Backing Trump right now is costing them in every conceivable election category.

My biggest fear is what they'll do to hold onto the White House in Nov/2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    At this point these is almost no loss for booting Trump and having Pence take the reins.
    Trump can win 2020 if things somehow turn around, or if he starts a war and somehow doesn't get caught being to blame.

If the GOP boots Trump, Pence (already as unlikeable as a thick slice of scrapple, look it up, no don't look it up) is tainted with the implied guilt.

Pence can't win 2020.

So, the Republican stuff constant lies and conspiracy theories? Tried to keep track but all I saw was a guy lying about trying to redo the election results...

- - - Updated - - -

And them trying to claim Morrison said he didn't have anything about Quid Pro Quo even though Sonland and others with evidence did and that he was trying to go through Giuliani instead of the official channels.

Have they done anything worth a damn or come up with anything that is honest?
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Nope. /tenchars

10+ Year Old Account
    So, the Republican stuff constant lies and conspiracy theories? Tried to keep track but all I saw was a guy lying about trying to redo the election results...

- - - Updated - - -

And them trying to claim Morrison said he didn't have anything about Quid Pro Quo even though Sonland and others with evidence did and that he was trying to go through Giuliani instead of the official channels.

Republicans got us the 13th Amendment.

But if you meant "in the last 30 years" then no.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Soooooo.... Are Trump's lawyers done? They talked for what, about 2 hours this morning and that's that?

It's even more pathetic than I had expected, and my expectations were already rock bottom. Like, I know it doesn't matter how good/bad their defense is because the jury has been rigged since the start, but, damn. Get these guys some covfefe for their low energy efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Soooooo.... Are Trump's lawyers done? They talked for what, about 2 hours this morning and that's that?

It's even more pathetic than I had expected, and my expectations were already rock bottom. Like, I know it doesn't matter how good/bad their defense is because the jury has been rigged since the start, but, damn. Get these guys some covfefe for their low energy efforts.
    This was just their opening presentation, they still have 22(?) more hours of redirection, lies and misrepresentation to provide.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's gotta be something like that. At this point these is almost no loss for booting Trump and having Pence take the reins. Backing Trump right now is costing them in every conceivable election category.

My biggest fear is what they'll do to hold onto the White House in Nov/2020.
    If that happens...dictatorship. The concentration camps will start gassing people shortly after they "win". (I mean we know they can't win an actual election, but if the Russians still have enough control over our voting systems it's possible.) And the US will be like 1939-1940 Germany. The only hope for the country if they "win" is a military coup.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2020-01-26 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump can win 2020
    Ofc he wins, those retarted democrates instead of building up their party with good ideas and structure are bitching 3-4 years long that Trump is a Russian spy I mean what moron would vote on a party like that. Atleast you know what you get with Trump and actually he kept his promises he made to the best of his ability.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2020-01-27 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Flaming

Who let the banned "independent" make a second account?!

10+ Year Old Account
    The republicans now, more than ever, are seeing the need to turtle up.

Republicans have, for a long time, relied on a simple, black and white interpretation of economics, morality, godliness, and Americanism that stems from the notion that they represent those things wholesale by merit of them being the republican party. The notion that their leader, Donald Trump, does not represent those things invites the question of who and who does not in the party, if their policies do or do not represent those things, etc, etc. That's more questions than they want their followers asking. They want their followers to think "if you don't want the government telling you how to spend your money, if you love jesus, and if you love America, vote republican!" and that's it. They don't want any introspection beyond that. It's all a house of cards, and they can't afford for the least of those cards to fall.

In essence, casting doubt on Trump in turns casts doubt on all of them. That's why the GOP is so scared to criticize Trump, because they, in essence, would be implying "all is not right in the temple," and fear that a further right-wing person might step up for their seat and say "no, everything IS right in the temple, THIS GUY is just a nonbeliever!" about them. And their most fervent zealots within their constituency love Trump.

They have to frame this whole thing as being "the democrat's fault," or a democrat conspiracy or what have you. To try and keep that house of cards together.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.