possible future allied races

in this thread i'm going to speculate as to which allied races are coming next.

Gnome

the most likely candidate are the mechagnomes (or junker gnomes) as they are currently relevant to the story, with mechagon being added in patch 8.2, the player helping the rustbolt resistance, their up-to-date model and animations, varied customization options, a male and a female model, and a unique dance animation (which cannot be said about the leper gnomes or the northrend version of mechagnomes). moreover, the fact that they were presented at blizzcon, with a male and a female model and several different customized mechagnome models suggests that blizzard were hinting at them and were probably trying to see the reaction and feedback to them. furthermore, mechagon doesn't necessarily progress the story forward, unlike naz'jatar, and feels a bit out of place (like the motherlode dungeon, which despite having the azerite story connected to it, felt a bit out of place as we didn't get to visit kezan as a playable zone). it could be, though, that mehcagon is hinting at a possible future mechanical threat (with the chromie scenario) or at a possible future tinker class. what i'm trying to say is, adding mechagon alongside naz'jatar in patch 8.2 (even though they are not connected in any way) seems to set up the mechagnomes and gilgoblins as allied races in patch 8.2.5 (like how kul tiras and zandalar gave us the kul'tirans and zandalari allied races).

Goblin×

the most likely candidate are the gilgoblins. they are relevant to the story, with patch 8.2 introducing naz'jatar, the player helping their faction, "the unshackled", against queen azshara and the naga, and the addition of a female model. the only problem is that their models are not up-to-date like other allied races. this will likely be resolved in patch 8.2.5, as the goblin race is getting a model update, which will most likely affect the gilgoblins as well. as i said, them being presented at blizzcon, the addition of a female model in patch 8.2 and not cataclysm - which introduced their race - and the addition of naz'jatar in patch 8.2 alongside mechagon (and the mechagnomes) are probably pointing at these 2 allied races being added in patch 8.2.5 (as the kul'tiran and zandalari were added in 8.1.5, pointing at a possible pattern).
    Update: Apparently, the gilgoblins have left Naz'jatar and are now at Dranosh'ar Blockade in Durotar. If this is not a hint, i don't know what is. to reinforce my claim - i don't think the Ankoan left Naz'jatar for Stormwind.
    Update: since Calia and Derek are probably going to the Horde instead of the Alliance, then the Gilgoblins will probably be on the next round of allied races, and not this one.

you're probably thinking to yourselves, "but, what about the vulpera?" they are based on the goblin skeleton, have up-to-date models and animations, they have a female model, varied customization options, some unique animations (like sleeping) and are allies of the horde. i initially thought, too, that they will be the goblin allied race. but i started to notice a pattern in the allied races blizzard was adding. they are all, basically, a different type of the main races. let me exemplify it for you: the kul'tirans are another body type of humans from a different kingdom, the dark iron dwarves are another clan of dwarves, the void elves are blood elves who delved into the void, the lightforged draenei are draenei infused with the light, the mag'har orcs are uncorrupted orcs, the zandalari trolls are another type of trolls, the highmountain tauren are another tribe of tauren, and the nightborne are highborne night elves changed by the nightwell. do you spot the pattern? there are no new races (as you would call them), only other types of the main races. which means the vulpera are not the goblin allied race (nor the pandaren or the worgen) as they are not related to them. even so, i suspect them to be a playable race in the future (alongside the sethrak). why so? because blizzard put too much time, effort and resources into them to throw it all away. blizzard has stated that: "setting up certain races that way is advantageous for development and is not necessarily a sign that there are any plans to make them playable". and yet, they only invested so much in them. why are npc models like the tortollans or the ankoan, for example, are not as animated as the vulpera, do not have a distinct female model, and lack varied customization options? i'll tell you why - because the vulpera (and the sethrak, for that matter) will probably be playable in the future. what's the point of having so much time and resource put into them if they're only gonna appear in patch 8.0? it doesn't make much sense. for those thinking about the sethrak, i know they lack a female model (sethraliss isn't distinct enough) and lack varied customization options. but their animations are so smooth (and personally, remind me of the pandaren model presentation in blizzcon 2011: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIRX_D57QgE & https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E1hGj9gHs00). they will be the perfect counterpart to the vulpera. as for the ankoan, they won't be an allied race this expansion, as they are not a different type of one of the main races (the jinyu are not a playable race). they also lack a female model, varied customization options and complicated animations (like facial animations). their whiskers are rigid and not animated whatsoever and they lack facial animations, which make them look like a puppet talking. even so, i do believe that they will be playable in the future (when the blademaster class/spec will be introduced) as they have a unique blademaster culture and theme to them.

Undead

the undead allied race will most likely be the "lightbound undead" (calia menethil), as they were, sort of, introduced in the novel "before the stom". one could argue that nathanos-like undead would be the allied race of the forsaken. as nathanos was given a unique and updated model in legion and bfa. nathanos even had his own short story in legion, called "dark mirror", which explained his new looks. he even rode an unobtainable darkhound mount in the battle for lordaeron (pointing at a possible racial mount). but with april fool's, jokingly introducing the "lightbound undead" as a forsaken having light tattoos, i suddenly remembered seeing this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MO8k4glSAIY. this video basically shows an upright forsaken undead walking, datamined in bfa alpha. so that means that they are planning to introduce a straight-back undead (like the mag'har orcs, which was given to the green orcs as well). the use of forsaken models in the april's fools joke, instead of an undead human model (like nathanos), leads me to believe that the undead allied race will be based on the forsaken model, rather than the human one. this undead allied race will probably be allied with the alliance, and will probably be based on the much-asked-for chinese version of the forsaken - which lack the exposed bones or any rotting features (as calia didn't rot or decay). they will probably have white glowing eyes as well. Update: as Shadowlands bring with it customization options, the idea of straight-back and covered bones are not part of the allied race set. and as for the san'layn, for those wondering, i don't believe that they will be the undead allied race, as they don't have an updated model, lack up-to-date animations and customization options, and their prince, blood prince dreven, was killed by shandris feathermoon and her forces during the war campaign. even so, they might be a playable race in the future, as we don't have a playable vampire race, but we do have a playable werewolf race - the worgen (no longer relevant, as we have the Venthyr now, which will most likely be playable). Edit: with the addition of calia menethil's new model in patch 8.2.5 (using the human skeleton), i could possibly be wrong about them using the forsaken skeleton. we basically have a female and a male model for the race (Calia Menethil & Derek Proudmoore), which both have gray skin and glowing white eyes. on the other hand, she might not be a representative of how the race looks - just like how sylvanas isn't. Update: in the Shadows Rising novel, Calia and Derek have apparently joined the Horde (even though it doesn't make much sense, as they were good friends with Jaina and Anduin), so this undead race will most likely be a Horde allied race, and not an Alliance one. The only problem is that they don't have a reputation linked to them, like the other allied races, and that their population is mostly comprised of undead Night Elves, rather than undead Humans. They do, however, have some unique hairstyles that we haven't even seen on the Humans as part of their Shadowlands customization options.

Worgen

the only allied race i could come up with are the original night elf worgen. they could be more feral than their brethren in gilneas, and could possibly be stuck in worgen form. they, however, will retain their senses and intelligence (just like alpha prime). how are they gonna be any different from the currently playable worgen, look-wise? i don't know, that's up for blizzard to decide. wait, but if the undead allied race is going to the alliance, that means that the worgen would have to go to the horde. that doesn't make much sense. well, it actually does: during cataclysm, alpha prime and his wolf cult (part of the original night elf worgens) allied themselves with the forsaken against gilneas. he harbored deep hatred towards malfurion for banning the pack form and banishing him and the worgen to the emerald dream. he, since then, died, but his wolf cult still exists.

Pandaren

i'm not sure that the pandaren will get an allied race, as there seems to be only room for 4 more allied races in the creation screen, and there seems to be only 2 more 8.X.5 patches (8.2.5 & 8.3.5). however, they could easily add a banner at the botton of the screen like they did with the pandaren, and they could be adding them in between bfa and the next expansion, when there is a content drought. the only pandaren allied race i could think of is the japanese version of the pandaren brewmaster from warcraft 3 (the feral pandaren doesn't seem very likely, but i will talk about them later on). as the playable pandaren race is based on the chinese canon-version of the pandaren brewmaster, i highly believe the japanese non-canon version of the pandaren brewmaster are a likely allied race. their culture could differ from that of the pandaren, as they are based on the japanese, rather than the chinese. how will they look any different (beside the armor they are wearing)? well, that is up to blizzard to decide. EDIT: with the rajani mogu faction being added in 8.3, i suspect that they might become the pandaren allied race, as they fill the niche of a chinese/pandaria race. they have a male and a female model, but lack the updated textures of current playable races. it will be hard, though, to see pandaren ally themselves with the mogu, as they are enemies. but as with the zandalari and horde pandaren, they could, somehow, set their differences aside. Moreover, this was said by a blizzard employee: At PAX East 2018 developer Daniel Stahl when talking in an interview mentioned mogu (a possible hint for a allied race): "what does that mean for the mogu, what does that mean for the dark iron dwarves, or all these allied races out there...".

i believe that there will be another batch of allied races coming in the future, as it feels quite incomplete to play only 2 out of the 3 human body types (average human from stormwind & big fat human from kul'tiras; but not slender/thin humans) and only 2 out of the 3 prominent dwarven clans (the bronzebeard & and the dark iron; but not the wildhammer). therefore, i will be speculating further as to which allied races could be coming in the next round of allied races (based on the pattern blizzard used for the current allied races):
    EDIT: with shadowlands adding additional customization options for core races (like wildhammer dwarves), some of it is no longer relevant.

Human

we have the average-looking humans from stomwind and the big fat humans from kul tiras. so, the next logical step would be to add the slender, thin humans. they could be from the alterac kingdom, and possibly be allies of the horde (as alterac allied with the horde during the second war). the ground work is already laid out, as the thin human model have an up-to-date model, animations and customization. they only lack a female model and some more variety. Update: with Shadowlands introducing the Kyrian, which has both male and female variants, up-to-date animations and some customization options, i think they will be the next Human Allied Race equivalent. why? because, firstly, Uther is there among them and, secondly, their culture of justice, valor and honor fits the Humans.

Dwarf

we can already play as a bronzebeard dwarf and a dark iron dwarf. so the next logical step would be to add the wildhammer clan of dwarves. they could have things like tattoos and feathers, and could possibly be druids. Update: with Shadowlands introducing the Wildhammer Dwarves as customization options, the only logical allied race would be the Frost Dwarves, as they are already allies of the Alliance.

Gnome

we currently have gnomes and mechagnomes. so the next logical step would be to add leper gnomes. they would most likely be allied with the horde, as some of them are with the forsaken. and they will most likely look different from the leper gnomes we know, as the mechagnomes of mechagon are different from the mechagnomes of northrend.

Night elf

we got the nightborne as the night elf allied race, which are basically a highborne changed by the arcane energies of the nightwell. the highborne were basically the upper class of the night elf civilization. therefore, the next night elf allied race should be another social class of the night elves. but i couldn't find any, so i came up with my own idea: druidic night elves like malfurion stormrage or broll bearmantle. these night elves will have deer antlers, golden glowing eyes, tattoos, claws, fur and even feathers. and a big bushy beard. Update: with Shadowlands introducing the Sylvari, i think they will be the Night Elf Allied race equivalent. They have a male and a female model, up-to-date animation (with a unique running animation) and some customization options. the reason i think they are the Night Elf equivalent is because, firstly, of their covenant name - The Night-Fae. Much like the Nightborne, carrying the word Night in their name, signifying that they are the Night Elf equivalent in the Horde, the Night Fae covenant are pretty much Night Elf-like: their culture is based around nature-worshipping. plus, we will find characters that are affiliated with the Night elves in Ardenweald, like Cenarius and Tyrande.

Draenei

we have the normal draenei who worship the light and we have lightforged draenei who are infused with the light. i don't think the logical next allied race would be a light beam or a wind chime, like the naaru. instead, i think the next logical allied race for the draenei are the broken - a draenei who lost touch with the light. i'm not talking about those draenei from outland, as they use the old tauren skeleton. i'm talking about the broken from argus, who use the updated draenei skeleton. they could go to the horde, as they weren't massacred by the orcs, like the ones from outland, and their leader, hatuun, harbors deep hatred towards velen and the draenei for leaving them to rot in argus (even though he told them to leave). i can see them being demon hunters, as they live on a fel-corrupted world for so many years, and hatuun's armor looks very similar to that of a demon hunter. even though they are said to practice shamanistic magic, there are broken in the illidari (from outland) - so it makes some sense. but, what about the eredar? they could be an allied race, i just don't think that the next logical step would be to add straight-up enemies of the light, rather than a race who just lost the ability to wield the light (plus, the Broken of Argus already have an Eredar red skin variant).

Worgen

i'm all out of worgen options for allied races. the only possible worgen allied race is based on a single forsaken npc - apothecary berard - who is the only known forsaken to be affected by the worgen curse. however, he was removed in cataclysm. Edit: with Blizzard introducing a form of Dragonman with the Dracthyr, then the next allied race might be a Saberon, Saurok or Sethrak - as they use the Worgen skeleton.

Pandaren

i'm all out of pandaren allied races as well. the only allied race for the pandaren i can think of are the feral pandaren from warcraft 3. Edit: if the Rajani Mogu are the Pandaren allied race, then the next logical step would be to add another Pandaria race. You'd probably think of Hozen and Jinyu, but i presonally think of the Mantid. like the Mogu, they are mostly hostile. but a group of friendly Mantid could emerge. the thing about Hozen and Jinyu is that if you add one, you also have to add the other one. so that is basically two allied races. and i don't think they would do it. as a Pandaren allied race, there would need to be one neutral race.

Orc

we can currently play as an uncorrupted orc (the mag'har) and a slightly corrupted orc (green orcs). so the next logical step for an orc allied race would be a highly corrupted orc (chaos orc). why not the fel orcs? well, their model wasn't updated with the rest of the orcs and their spikes and tusks could potentially interfere with armor. but aren't they enemies with the horde? well, there are some chaos orcs allied with the horde in the blasted lands, like horde portal-sentries and quartermaster dekrok. Update: with Shadowlands introducing the Necrolords, i think they will be the Orc Allied Race equivalent. Although they currently lack a female model, and some customization options, i don't think Blizzard will neglect them over the other races of the Shadowlands. why Orc you ask, and not forsaken? because the Necrolods are described as not being inherently evil, but more as being war-like, seeking glory and power in combat, which fits the Orcs' culture. that is why Draka is there as a representative. Edit: I might be slightly wrong about the Maldraxxian Necromancers being the Allied race. because they were introduced in Blizzcon as the representatives of the Necrolord covenant, i assumed that they will (much like the other covenants) be the presumed future allied race. but for some reason, even after Maldraxxus got opened up for testing on the alpha, no female models were to be seen. on the other hand, the Maldraxxian Gladiators have both a male and a female couterparts for some reason - implying that they might be the Maldraxxus allied race, and not the necromancers. though, their faces are always covered, so it's hard to assess wether they are on par with playable models (and their enormous size of course). The other problem is that the female Kul Tiran skeleton was given to the female Maldraxxian Gladiators, while the male Kul Tiran skeleton was given to the more skeletal-looking creatures of Maldraxxus. as they are not the same race, this creates an issue. Update: apparently, the male Maldraxxian Gladiators use the male Ogre rig, just with a different posture. the question is, have they tweaked it enough to be on a playable character standard?

Troll

we have the darkspear jungle trolls and the zandalari trolls, so the only race making sense are the forest trolls from the hinterlands (the revantusk tribe) - who are already allies of the horde. they would make the perfect counterpart to the wildhammer dwarves of the hinterlands, as they are enemies of one another. the ice trolls and sand trolls are not allies of the horde. Update: with Shadowlands customization options not including Forest Trolls, this is even a more likely candidate.

Tauren

i know what you're thinking, the taunka or the yaungol as an allied race. but going by the formula of blizzard, they added another tribe of tauren - the highmountain - which untill legion, had regular horns and were not a different kind of tauren. so, going by that formula, i think the most logical step is to add the grimtotem tribe of tauren. they could have those cool-looking facial tattoos and blizzard can give them another type of horns if they want to. but wait a second, aren't the grimtotem enemies of the bloodhoof tribe of tauren? well, they were up untill cataclysm. after magatha grimtotem killed cairne, jevan grimtotem and a bunch of grimtotem tauren allied themsleves with the horde. but what about the grimtotem ambassador to the alliance? well, as of today, it is still unknown if the alliance between the stonetalon grimtotem and the alliance was successful.

Undead

going by the way blizzard is supposedly about to introduce undead risen by the light, i think the next logical step would be to add an undead risen by other unconventional means. we already know that necromancy, fel and void can raise the undead (for example: the forsaken, mannoroth in hellfire citadel, and nerz'hul's void skeletons). but we've never heard of undead risen by nature magic, arcane magic or elemental magic. so, is the next undead allied race a zombie like the infested orcs from gorgrond? i don't know. Edit: not so relevant, as Derek Proudmoore looks just like Calia, but was raised with necromancy instead of the light. Maybe an allied race based on the level of decay: if Calia/Derek are intact, and the forsaken are rotting, then the next step would be to add Skeletons as an allied race (fully decomposed). there would be gender problems, however.

Blood elf

there are currently the blood elves and the void elves. the void elves are basically blood elves who delved into the void. the reasoning behind them, according to wowpedia, is: "The idea of blood elves dabbling with the Void is an old one, as High Astromancer Solarian could already turn into a voidwalker in The Burning Crusade. Also Elsaana mentions how blood elves of the Sunfury consume the energies of Outland's voidwalkers to power their magics". so, using that logic, i could make an argument for every school of magic available: blood elves who delve into necromancy like dar'khan drathir, or blood elves who delve into the fel like felblood elves, or blood elves delving into the light like the blood knights, or blood elves who delve into nature magic like high botanist freywinn, or blood elves who delve into the arcane and become the wretched, or even blood elves who delve into elemental magic, like elementalist starion. personally, i don't think the blood knights ,wretched or elementalist blood elf allied race is viable. but the other ones, like necromancy, fel or nature blood elves seem, to me, quite possible. Update: with Shadowlands introducing the Venthyr, i believe they will be the Blood Elves Allied Race equivalent. they have a male and a female model, up-to-date animations, and some customization options. they fit the Blood Elves because of their arrogant looks and attitudes. besides, Kael'thas Sunstrider is there, implying on a connection.

Goblin

as we have the goblin race and most likely, the gilgoblins, which are probably coming in 8.2.5, the other option that seems viable are the hobgoblins, as they are a goblin experiment, just like the gilgoblins. the problems with the hobgoblins are: first of all, they use the ogre skeleton. the solution is to give them the kul'tiran skeleton, like rexxar has. secondly, they are described as "dumber than an ogre with a hangover". the solution would be to pump them with kaja'mite. lastly, they are part of the goblin racials. solution, differentiate them a bit from the standard hobgoblin. EDIT: According to some new lore, the Gilgoblins are not an experiment, and therefore, the hobgoblin suggestion is less likely. so, if we have land goblins and aquatic goblins, then maybe an aerial goblin race? Edit: if the Vulpera are indeed the Goblin allied race, then the Gilgoblins are probably the next ones, as the Sprites and the Spriggans are nothing more than pest creatures.

in conclusion, i think they should add some more classes and specs first, before going for another round of allied races. in addition, i cannot predict allied races that blizzard pulls out of thin air.
    Last edited by username993720; 2022-04-28 at 11:28 AM.

I agree. Despite everything that seems to indicate Vulpera, there are easy arguments to dispell all of the so called evidence for Vulpera so far. One thing I think that you should have done with this post is simplify it down a lot. A lot of people aren't going to be willing to read this so carefully with all the blocks of text.

Well, i was right about the Mechagnomes.
    But, oh boy, i was wrong about the Vulpera.

Apparently, the Unshackled Gilgoblins and their allies (Sea Giants and Makrura) are at the shore of Dranosh'ar Blockade in Durotar, as of patch 8.3.
    What are they doing there if not to join the Horde? Y'all probably thought that the Vulpera are the Goblin Allied race because of the Goblin skeleton being used. but they are more likely the Worgen Allied race, as they are a Humanoid/Canine hybrid, just on the horde side. For that matter, the Ankoan have yet to be spotted on Stormwind Harbor. If there is no patch 8.3.5, as ion said in an interview, they could be added in the Shadowlands pre-patch, just like how Dark Iron dwarves and Mag'har orcs were added in Battle for Azeroth pre-patch.
    As for them being customization options in Shadowlands, i don't see any sand or dark trolls being around to justify them as customizable options, or African/Asian human, for that matter.

Last edited by username993720; 2020-01-27 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Apparently, the Unshackled Gilgoblins and their allies (Sea Giants and Makrura) are at the shore of Dranosh'ar Blockade in Durotar, as of patch 8.3.
    What are they doing there if not to join the Horde? Y'all probably thought that the Vulpera are the Goblin Allied race because of the Goblin skeleton being used. but they are more likely the Worgen Allied race, as they are a Humanoid/Canine hybrid, just on the horde side. For that matter, the Ankoan have yet to be spotted on Stormwind Harbor. If there is no patch 8.3.5, as ion said in an interview, they could be added in the Shadowlands pre-patch, just like how Dark Iron dwarves and Mag'har orcs were added in Battle for Azeroth pre-patch.
    As for them being customization options in Shadowlands, i don't see any sand or dark trolls being around to justify them as customizable options, or African/Asian human, for that matter.

Its sad. I think these guys have a lot of potential and could make a great AR. Plus they have every reason to join the horde that vulpera do. Many people don't realize just how wicked their models and custom options could be with enough effort put into them. Blizzard has broken a lot of expectations with ARs this expansion. Who knows. Perhaps they could be an allied race. However I should add that ankoan haven't been found near stormwind. I think its possible that these guys might be recurring allies like how wildhammer are, but then we will end up getting them as a custom option.

while i would have chosen to have gilgoblins over vulpera, i think that adding gilgoblins as the last allied race for the Horde would be a very dumb move. mostly because, as of now, vulpera are playable and share the same rig as goblins.

Quote Originally Posted by WraithKingOstarion View Post
    while i would have chosen to have gilgoblins over vulpera, i think that adding gilgoblins as the last allied race for the Horde would be a very dumb move. mostly because, as of now, vulpera are playable and share the same rig as goblins.
    I somewhat have to agree with you on this. Now trust me. I have been one of the biggest Gilgoblin advocates since the beginning, but out there I am sure there is probably someone who wants something like naga or dragon kin for the worgen AR and some kind of interesting undead.

I will say this though. Just about all of the relevant undead except for the venthyr could pass for some kind of custom option.