Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's not just "some states", the entire Country is at will, you can be fired for any reason, or no reason, unless it falls under specific guidelines of discrimination based off sex, gender, sexual orientation, creed, race, etc.

Contracted workers in the US are extremely rare. But it's not just the US that crunch has been brought up in, other countries have such problems as well.

Granted, I don't think boycotting is the correct response either, that just leads to the opposite of too much work for the workers... it leads to too little work because they get canned.
    I work in an industry where crunches happen and deadlines get missed all the time so delays wind up happening. There's always a cause, and most of the time it's due to unforseen circumstances. We do what we can to avoid them but sometimes, in any industry, things just happen that you can't control and issues arise that have to be fixed. I don't see game development being any different in that regard from mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I work in an industry where crunches happen and deadlines get missed all the time so delays wind up happening. There's always a cause, and most of the time it's due to unforseen circumstances. We do what we can to avoid them but sometimes, in any industry, things just happen that you can't control and issues arise that have to be fixed. I don't see game development being any different in that regard from mine.
    Sounds like an excuse to ignore the issue of crunch, management failure.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Sounds like an excuse to ignore the issue of crunch, management failure.
    It's usually more an issue of management and project leads ignoring the concerns of the workers, or a lack of communication on the progress of a project, from the concept phase right up through final design and building. In game designs, bugs happen as the project comes together. I can't imagine the billions or trillions of lines of code that comprise modern games and how hard it must be to find bugs to ensure that a game is as near to flawless as possible at release. But that's what we should expect as paying consumers.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Love the gore but I just know I would probably be the first person to ever die from motion sickness playing this game.

But it's not just the US that crunch has been brought up in, other countries have such problems as well.
    Very true, however most video game development takes place within the US. There are notable exceptions, such as CDPR who have been getting heat for crunch with Cyberpink 2077. Japan is notorious for it's overwork culture too. It's not an exclusive problem to the US or the gaming industry, but it's a good lens to view the problem through.

Granted, I don't think boycotting is the correct response either, that just leads to the opposite of too much work for the workers... it leads to too little work because they get canned.
    As consumers, what other means do we have? It's not enough of a hot button issue to have people taking to the streets to protest. Those outside of gaming and Tech related roles aren't aware of the problem, so getting wide spread support is unlikely.

Realistically, the answer needs to come from the people working in the industry itself. The workers writing code need to be prepared to say no to working absurd hours. The management need to set clear goals and milestones and have timetables that are reasonable and manageable. Projects need to be managed in a way where crunch is no longer a certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I work in a role where I'm responsable a lot of the back end systems for my companies customer facing apps and their website.

In my role, I may have to work overtime to get something fixed ASAP. Those circumstances are exceptional though and, thankfully, extremely rare. I get fairly compensated for work I put in. Even then, I'm protected by work time regulations - I cannot work for more than 6 hours at a time without taking at least 20 minutes break. I cannot work more than 7 days in a row without at least 2 days off. I cannot work for more than 48 hours in a week.

The times when I've had to break those rules, for whatever reason, HR has been quick to tell me to either go home or sign a legal disclaimer saying I have chosen to temporarily opt out.

Where game development differs is that prolonged crunch for months at a time is an expectation. At all levels of the company structure from the CEO all the way down to the people writing the code. They don't get compensated, they get taken advantage of. It's an unsustainable business model in the long term and has serious effects on the employees who are force to participate.

There are very few protections in place for anyone in the games industry. Which is why crunch horror stories are becoming frighteningly common. They're keeping talented and qualified people out of the industry, and churning through the people they already have. It's not a healthy situation for anyone, game developers, publishers or even the consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    As consumers, what other means do we have? It's not enough of a hot button issue to have people taking to the streets to protest. Those outside of gaming and Tech related roles aren't aware of the problem, so getting wide spread support is unlikely.

Realistically, the answer needs to come from the people working in the industry itself. The workers writing code need to be prepared to say no to working absurd hours. The management need to set clear goals and milestones and have timetables that are reasonable and manageable. Projects need to be managed in a way where crunch is no longer a certainty.
    As consumers we really don't have any recourse, the only option we do have (Boycotting) can wind up hurting the people we're trying to do it for (cause let's face it, the CEO isn't going to pull a Nintendo and take a pay cut, the workers are going to get laid off). So you're right, it can only come from the industry itself AND labor laws within the country. Overtime pay was probably seen as means to deter companies from overworking their employees without regulating work hours, but its obviously not working, so something needs be done.

Add to that studies that show people get more work done if they're NOT forced to work longer (look at the 4 day work week studies in Europe), crunches just seem silly... more mistakes are made under pressure like that which leads to more crunching....

It's also not just a recent problem. David Brevik was talking about how during the last few months of Diablo people were sleeping at work, and it was even worse for Diablo II

10+ Year Old Account
    For fuck sake people, take the crunch conversation elsewhere. MORE DOOM SHIT PLEASE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

they need to tone down the health/armor/ammo colors when they come out of the corpse.

this isn't supposed to be the unicorn levels from diablo, this is doom. blood and guts are all that should spray from the demons, not rainbows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    For fuck sake people, take the crunch conversation elsewhere. MORE DOOM SHIT PLEASE.
    You shall recieve!

Notes:

Arch-Vile is a heavier version of the summoner.
    The demons are like chess pieces and the new Marauder will be its queen.

I have speculated that the new Marauder will be a RE2 Tyrant type enemy. I think it would be cool if he stalks you randomly through out the campaign and you never know when he will show up.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    they need to tone down the health/armor/ammo colors when they come out of the corpse.

this isn't supposed to be the unicorn levels from diablo, this is doom. blood and guts are all that should spray from the demons, not rainbows.
    This has been a complaint from spectators. However most of the previewers said that amidst the chaos it really helps to be able to see the items within the arena. Every piece of ammo that drops from enemies is color specific.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2020-01-27 at 05:19 PM.

It's fitting with the rest of the pallet. The game is dark and bloody, but those pickups have the same kind of neon coloring as a lot of the lighting in the game. And it's both a welcome change from the usual, "Dark and bloody" while also making them visually distinct and easy to keep track of during firefights.

It's visually different for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    This has been a complaint from spectators. However most of the previewers said that amidst the chaos it really helps to be able to see the items within the arena. Every piece of ammo that drops from enemies is color specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's fitting with the rest of the pallet. The game is dark and bloody, but those pickups have the same kind of neon coloring as a lot of the lighting in the game. And it's both a welcome change from the usual, "Dark and bloody" while also making them visually distinct and easy to keep track of during firefights.

It's visually different for a reason.
    it's too much of a contrast with the rest of the thematics of the game since it looks rainbowy. they should change the colors of it to red at least, to make it blend better. have them glow neon red, they'd be perfectly easy to see. the pick ups being different colors isn't really important, doom is a game where you're basically going to want to run through every pick up you get.

it's too much of a contrast with the rest of the thematics of the game since it looks rainbowy. they should change the colors of it to red at least, to make it blend better. have them glow neon red, they'd be perfectly easy to see. the pick ups being different colors isn't really important, doom is a game where you're basically going to want to run through every pick up you get.
    Red blends in with too much else in the world, and doesn't really "fit" for everything. Blue for life, which is blue on your UI, green for armor, which is green on your UI, for consistency.

And given the videos of Eternal, and having played the first, there's quite a bit of bright red (fire, lights etc.) that it could get cluttered with and lost.

You "want" to run through every pickup, but you don't need to. If you're maxed on armor, those drops are going to do nothing for you and you don't need to go out of your way to pick them up.

Edit: It's not too different from how the original game handled them -

Last edited by Edge-; 2020-01-28 at 01:27 AM.

Red blends in with too much else in the world, and doesn't really "fit" for everything. Blue for life, which is blue on your UI, green for armor, which is green on your UI, for consistency.

And given the videos of Eternal, and having played the first, there's quite a bit of bright red (fire, lights etc.) that it could get cluttered with and lost.

You "want" to run through every pickup, but you don't need to. If you're maxed on armor, those drops are going to do nothing for you and you don't need to go out of your way to pick them up.

Edit: It's not too different from how the original game handled them -

[IMG]https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11123/111234503/5135292-securityarmorp01.png[IMG]
    i mean, the colors isn't even ultimately the problem. it's how they spray out of the corpses in a big rainbow.

just make them appear around and it fixes everything. but if they want them to spray out, they need to be blood colored at least.

i mean, the colors isn't even ultimately the problem. it's how they spray out of the corpses in a big rainbow.
    It leaves a trail so that players can see where things dropped, which is fine visual design. That stuff doesn't just drop straight down, and can fall off of ledges or tumble down slopes, so knowing the angle it ejected at helps players keep track of it during hectic firefights.

just make them appear around and it fixes everything. but if they want them to spray out, they need to be blood colored at least.
    "Just appear"...where? Directly underneath the dead enemy? What if the corpse covers it and they miss it? What if there's no direct spawn point beneath the monster? How will that impact moving players, who often adjust their angles of movement to pick those up based on the direction they're dropping due to the trail?

And covering them with blood just makes them blend in more with the rest of the game and makes them difficult to track.

These are supposed to be obvious by design, because they matter (especially at harder difficulties), and they track with the theming of the rest of the game as there are bright/neon lights in use elsewhere, just not extensively. That's what you do when you want to make certain items "stand out" in a game, you make it look different than everything else.

It leaves a trail so that players can see where things dropped, which is fine visual design. That stuff doesn't just drop straight down, and can fall off of ledges or tumble down slopes, so knowing the angle it ejected at helps players keep track of it during hectic firefights.

"Just appear"...where? Directly underneath the dead enemy? What if the corpse covers it and they miss it? What if there's no direct spawn point beneath the monster? How will that impact moving players, who often adjust their angles of movement to pick those up based on the direction they're dropping due to the trail?

And covering them with blood just makes them blend in more with the rest of the game and makes them difficult to track.

These are supposed to be obvious by design, because they matter (especially at harder difficulties), and they track with the theming of the rest of the game as there are bright/neon lights in use elsewhere, just not extensively. That's what you do when you want to make certain items "stand out" in a game, you make it look different than everything else.
    it's just very thematically clashing, and the devs should take strides to prevent thematic clashes like that.

rainbows are not, and never have been, doom. there really shouldn't be mechanics to cater to people that aren't good enough to spot pick ups normally anyway. if a person can't spot them that's their problem, time to git gud basically.

if a person can't spot them that's their problem, time to git gud basically.
    This is not what is happening at all. They simply changed how they handle life/armor drops, moving from an almost purely "placed" method where pickups had static locations and weren't terribly interesting, to a system that gives players some control over those pickups at an opportunity cost (going in for glory kills can be risk in combat if there's too much going on).

You don't have to like it by any means, but it's in no way, shape, or form "bad design", nor was the old method any "harder" than this.

Hugo Martin certainly has a refreshing attitude when it comes to the AAA industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Below is a preview of the Master Level version for the 3rd level in the game: Cultist Base. The new master levels add changes to enemy numbers and placement similar to how classic Doom handled difficulties. Id plans to add more master levels and master level types in the future. This one is a pre-order bonus; but will be released to everyone at a later date.

Last edited by zEmini; 2020-03-03 at 12:16 AM.

So Doom Eternal is releasing on the same day as another franchise. Players of both have come together, and a match made in hell has been unleashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eurogamer has published specs for DOOM Eternal, though people in comment section say specs got promptly deleted from game site probably because of the outrage of potato PC owners:

Doom Eternal Minimum PC Specs
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    Processor:  Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better, or AMD Ryzen 3 @ 3.1 GHz or better
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB), GTX 1060 (6GB), GTX 1650 (4GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB)/RX 470 (4GB)
    Storage: 50 GB available space
    Additional Notes: (1080p / 60 FPS / Low Quality Settings)

Doom Eternal Recommended PC Specs
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K or better, or AMD Ryzen 7 1800X or better
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB), RTX 2060 (8GB) or AMD Radeon RX Vega56 (8GB)
    Storage: 50 GB available space
    Additional Notes: (1440p / 60 FPS / High Quality Settings)