Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I actually quite liked that Tesla story! It was the closest to classic-who in a very VERY long time! ^_^

I'll admit I have some minor quibbles, but not enough to make me not enjoy what I got. ^_^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Think back to all the amazing stories, characters and emotion we have had over the years...then we have this...
    The Tesla one tonight had quite a bit of character to them. Hell, even the companions actually were more than cardboard cutouts for a change. ;P

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    4th episode definitely better than the 3rd. although my issue with the 3rd episode is for what happened right at the end, so if they had cut that bit out then yeah it was a good episode too. I am excited for next week's episode; the return of the Judoon - haven't seen them properly for a solid 9 seasons. this season so far has been a lot better than last season, I have high hopes for the rest of the episodes - I really hope they live up to my expectations

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    The Tesla one tonight had quite a bit of character to them. Hell, even the companions actually were more than cardboard cutouts for a change. ;P
    Indeed. A solid episode. Goran was great as Tesla, they didn't get TOO preachy *glares at last week* and as you said, even the companions were decent.

Not really sure what more people could ask for, from a filler episode.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Not really sure what more people could ask for, from a filler episode.
    ...it makes me sad when people refer to a Doctor Who episode as a "filler episode". =/

Classic never had "filler" as it never needed season-long story arcs. The whole point was the journey to see new worlds/lands/times. The stories were always average 4-6 episodes (1.3-2 hours respectively) so we always got a good story with lots of character development.

On pain of sounding old, I miss the days where every season wasn't essentially a giant mini-series stuck on one storyline. =/

How do you have a filler episode when the season is 10 episodes? I mean, when I used to get 26 episode seasons of Trek, sure, filler filler chicken dinner. But 10 episodes?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can envision a 1 episode long season with filler episodes in it. You just wait.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    ...it makes me sad when people refer to a Doctor Who episode as a "filler episode". =/
    Oh relax, you're looking way too deep into that line. I didn't mean anything negative by calling it filler, that's just the easiest way to say "A classic monster of the week episode." I greatly enjoy these oneshots, especially historic ones like this.

I really like this episode, my only complaint was how clumsy the Skidmarks suddenly got, when it was time to chase Yaz... Other than that, it was a great episode.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Oh relax, you're looking way too deep into that line. I didn't mean anything negative by calling it filler, that's just the easiest way to say "A classic monster of the week episode." I greatly enjoy these oneshots, especially historic ones like this.
    Hah! My appologies, I didn't mean it personally towards you, sorry if I gave that impression! Just commenting on the changing times. You're not the only one I've had that discussion with in regards to Doctor Who. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    "go woke - go broke"

wouldntsurpise me if they canceled dr who early this season .

its just a mistake - they should just stop airing it - fire both writer and Jodie and go back to when Who was still ok - aka just after Clara died - and lets pretend seasons 10-12 never happend.

ye ye ye - i know people hated clara . but at least story was interesting and keeping people watching show.
    They won't cancel Doctor Who, it's a massive IP for the BBC. It's so big it doesn't need to be well written to fulfil it's objective: selling merch and toys to the kids and superfans.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Idk man I'm just not feeling it. She may as well be capaldi to me. I don't enjoy it as much as ecclestein, smith, or tennant.

15+ Year Old Account
    This show went downwards for me around season 7 or so. Stopped in season 8 I think, or was it 9 (Edit: stopped watching after season 9).
    The main issue is because the horror was gone. They just stopped doing episodes like The Empty Child, Blink and Midnight, perhaps to appeal to a wider audience.

Has it improved since then?
    Last edited by Strawberry; 2020-01-21 at 09:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus an actually good and intriguing episode since Capaldi.....genuinely shocked...

Also incredibly shocked by that surprise...after like 12 years of waiting.... *happy noises*..i want them to hug...

Confused about the doctors timeline however it may explain the masters timeline.

Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2020-01-26 at 09:29 PM.

Did enjoy, am confused.

The first good episode since, what, 11th Doctors last.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post

I like the theory that this new Doctor is a really early Doctor whose existence was erased from the mind of the Doctor to cover up this timeless child business, and that an extra regeneration was given to the Doctor at the same time so that they would never notice they were actually short one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolute CRACKIN episode. Easily my favourite of Jodie's and pretty high up in my all time favourites.

Not only was it a solid standalone adventure, but it posed some SERIOUS questions about the Doctor's past/future.

Not going to lie, though. Was hoping she'd be the Valeyard.

That said, she did a GREAT job as the Doctor. Honestly wouldn't if we got a spin-off with her.

Didnt rtd book mention a black woman doctor who wielded a flaming sword in his novelization of rose that also added a doctor who used a wheelchair?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Wow, they really kept a tight lid on some of the surprises in this episode - and for people who wanted a Story Arc? WohohooooooNELLY did they get one! =D

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    I like the theory that this new Doctor is a really early Doctor whose existence was erased from the mind of the Doctor to cover up this timeless child business, and that an extra regeneration was given to the Doctor at the same time so that they would never notice they were actually short one.
    I hope not, however I'm just kinda hoping they're going to do something I've been wanting them to do for a while now - and that's to explain some history flubs in the show as basically being the Doctor overwriting his/her own history all the time.

Example: Like the 8th Doctor being "half human" now no longer existing in cannon - this could be a way to explain why that happened, that at some point the Doctor did something and overwrote something in his/her own history. And now, basically it's all comming to a head.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's just two parallel timelines coalescing - hence the danger to the universe, "the same person", different Gallifrey - these are really two doctors of the same age (and hence the same sex). Cybermen might be responsible for the divergence because they sent something into the past. Also in new who Cybermen first appeared breaking in from a parallel universe. Too many coincidences.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    They won't cancel Doctor Who, it's a massive IP for the BBC. It's so big it doesn't need to be well written to fulfil it's objective: selling merch and toys to the kids and superfans.
    but last years sales were abysmal. despite the significantly higher ratings compared to Capaldi, the sales of merchandise barely hit 1/2 the sales figures of the capaldi era of merchandise.

The Fugitive of Judoon featured an amazing story for The Doctor. Her companions continue to be pushed away from her - thankfully - and we get to see The Doctor actually develop as a character. It was amazing to see Ruth portray a female version of The Doctor with such grace and gravitas that made her instantly believable as this renegade Time Lord; she acted circles around Jodie Whitaker's piss-poor portrayal of a wacky aunt cosplaying as The Doctor. And oh yeah, HOT DAMN CAPTAIN JACK IS BACK!! Revisiting former companions and villains is a smart move for the immediate future to try and lure back New Who fans who haven't cared for recent seasons.