Poll: What is the greatest comedy of all time?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Not even one of Monty Python on it
    Not a single Mel Brooks movie either, sadness.

Honestly the list is a disappointment; more than half of them are barely watchable a second time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail , imo

This shit to me is the funniest thing on the planet

Planes Trains and Automobiles.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Comedy live action movie that actually made me laugh? I .. don't remember.
    Police Academy movies were amusing though.

I'm not huge on comedy movies but I like every movie with Leslie Nielsen, with some of my favorites being the Naked Gun trilogy and Airplane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of the ones on that list? Anchorman- just because of the quotable moments. To this day I can't drink scotch without blurting "Scotch scotch scotch, down goes the scotch- down to my belly."

Honorable mention: Kung Pao- Enter the Fist. Even has the Monty Python running gag somebody posted above.
    "Chosen One!" "I'm coming!"
    And Betty- I mean come on... "Mmmm-BLUE SHOES."

The poll choices are pretty good. My personal favorite movies are Tropic Thunder, The Other Guys, and Anchorman.

From the list, I also like Dumb and Dumber. Step Brothers, The Hangover, and Dodgeball aren't bad.

I also like Austin Powers.

Spaceballs or one of the Monty Python movies, imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I also like Austin Powers.
    I love how Austin Powers gets funnier and funnier the more Bond movies you've seen.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

The Cable Guy. Not so much because of the movie itself, but for how underrated it is. Also Jim Carrey is still funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post
    How can you not have Animal House or Caddyshack on this list?
    Animal House has not aged well.

Of that list? Probably Airplane! (which has aged phenomenally,) followed by Hot Fuzz.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    That's my point! You've got Hot Fuzz but DON'T have the vastly superior Shaun of the Dead. The first film of the Cornetto Trilogy (of which Hot Fuzz is the second, with World's End being the somewhat weak final part.)
    They're both fine movies, but I'd say Hot Fuzz is a much tighter comedy than Shaun of the Dead, with better payoffs.

Shaun of the Dead has some tonal inconsistencies and a good deal of fluff; Hot Fuzz doesn't have a single wasted narrative moment.

Honestly, Hot Fuzz's script is... downright brilliant in how concise it is, from the comedic payoffs, like the notion of "farmer's mums" being armed to the teeth working as two separate jokes on their own, first when they're talking about gun ownership ("everyone and their mum in the country is packing heat!" "like who?" "Farmers... farmer's mums...") to when Sgt. Angel returns to fight a farmer and his mom who comes out of nowhere wielding a shotgun, and then when you consider that the whole set up was established by that first interchange, to even the tiniest little callbacks like "Aaron A. Aaronson" or the hedgehog at the very end of the movie. The script is a masterclass in comedy writing.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-01-26 at 12:49 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Guess I'm one of the few that didn't find Tropic Thunder that hilarious. It was pretty good, but not something I'd watch again, I think.

It's a bit hard to score them right, because some movies like Ghostbusters, are cool movies beyond the straight jokes, while movies like Airplane would be boring as fuck if it wasn't for the constant barrage of humor that makes it one of the best comedies ever. I would put Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels up on that list, and definitely Top Secret. Btw, if you like Airplane humor, you've probably seen the naked gun movies as well, but have you seen the "police squad" series the movies are based on? They're great, and available on youtube.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Up in smoke

3+ Year Old Account
    Borat is my fav

I don't know how it's aged but and I watched it as a kid, but I don't think any movie has made me laugh harder or for longer than:

National Lampoon's Vacation

It's dumb. It's mean. Chevy Chase's comedy chops have gone downhill. That being said I think I literally laughed myself hoarse watching it.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    High Fidelity

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    Top secret!
    Deja Vu! That is surely one of my favourite classics. I am not sure how it would stand up today, but for it's time, brilliant.

A few other honorable mentions not in the list:
    Blades of Glory;
    American Dreamz;
    The Wedding Crashers;
    Shaun of the Dead

Last but not least - I wouldn't call it a comedy, but it had some brilliant comic moments:
    Starship Troopers

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Blazing Saddles
    This. Followed very closely by the Monty Python movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgot to mention Young Frankenstein earlier, another one I never tire of.
    /s

Tough thing to break down as a single film. As movie comedy has changed over the years it may be better to note best of decade or generation. I’ll give a shout out to Airplane and Duck Soup as well.

Army of Darkness is the greatest movie of all time.

Your list is pretty narrow. It swings too much in favour of modern comedies. As many have pointed out the omission of Python and Brooks is pretty stupid.

Out of your list I picked Groundhog's Day with Airplane! as a close second. I think these two are pretty innovative even though there are other comedies I prefer. I love Hot Fuzz and its an exemplary example of a proper satire/homage but its less innovative than the previous two movies.

Stripes, Animal House, Caddyshack, Dumb and Dumber, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Get Smart 2008, Old School, Dodgeball, Office Space, Monty Python, etc. There are too many to list so I prefer just listing off some favorites.