Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Sending them into Jupiter would be just as effective and would only require about half as much energy.
    Not a space expert here but wouldn't it all basically be the same amount of energy? Just point the ship in the right direction and get it up to speed. Since you don't really slow down in space the only thing that should differ is the travel time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Not a space expert here but wouldn't it all basically be the same amount of energy? Just point the ship in the right direction and get it up to speed. Since you don't really slow down in space the only thing that should differ is the travel time.
    That only works if you have sufficiently powerful engines, which we don't currently have. As it stands, we have to deal with gravity and stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/SqdzxzF.png

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius
    What the fuck did you step on?
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned
    A bear trap?
    Putting things together afterwards, it seems likely that it was a drop of plastic, melted off the handle of a pan, and probably dropped into my shoe by my fiancee's poodle. :P tl;dr at bottom of post

The injury itself was minor, just a small puncture wound. I cleaned it, put antibiotic ointment on it, kept it cleaned, dressed and inspected, and that should have been the end of it. Instead, it seems the wound was deeper than I knew, an infection started in the deep tissue, and for extra joy it turned out to be a particularly nasty, antibiotic resistant version of a fairly common bacterium. Two toes came off because of the damage, and they chopped the heck out of my foot. Two more toes came off because they weren't getting enough blood after all the other damage, and they still couldn't get the infection under control. I ended up in a specialized burn unit because burn units have to be able to get infections under control, and even they had a rough time with it. Apparently, somewhere I'm now a case study on tissue regeneration therapy (burn units are into that). [As a follow up, they've got me walking without even a cane, wearing normal shoes, and I'm able to handle a mild jog for short distances.]

That's why looking at the dirty nails in the picture really set me off. Even if some jackass thought this was just going to be a nuisance injury and they were just a prankster, if something went wrong as my injury did, the person could easily end up with astronomical medical bills and maybe lose a foot or leg.

tl;dr To make my answer a bit less bloggy, as a side note -- I hope nobody here will need to know this, but as amazing as modern prosthetics are, work is also being done on regrowing tissue. Losing toes was unsettling, but chunks of my foot were skinned down to the bone and today I doubt one would guess how extensive the damage was because they've gotten new tissue to grow that matches the undamaged tissue. I got lucky in a sense, but the implications for burn patients are huge.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    And this is why I always wear puncture resistant shoes.
    I remember that weaponized strawberry story, shoulda made that old bag eat those fruits

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    What in the hell is wrong with people?
    I say this everyday, some people are just worthless POS and contribute nothing to society, all they do is rob of us oxygen.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I say this everyday, some people are just worthless POS and contribute nothing to society, all they do is rob of us oxygen.
    We are not On a spaceship.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We are not On a spaceship.
    No shit, not sure what your point was.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    No shit, not sure what your point was.
    Your oxygen concern. I thought that was obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Your oxygen concern. I thought that was obvious.
    Ah so you don't understand how insults work. It's a common thing said, that some people are a waste of oxygen.
    Last edited by zenkai; 2020-01-27 at 02:03 PM.

I have no idea why anyone would make something like this, might be bogan shithead teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Is the sun really deadlier than Australia though?
    It's about the same temperature at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    Putting things together afterwards, it seems likely that it was a drop of plastic, melted off the handle of a pan, and probably dropped into my shoe by my fiancee's poodle.
    And I thought I had it bad when I stepped on a hornet exploring my shoe.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Flarelaine I'll just say that it wasn't fun. At all. Glad you didn't have an allergic reaction though.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

The sadistic cunt that did it deserves an absolute trashing before being sentenced to a number of years behind bars.

Actually, getting to the Sun is much more difficult than to get to Jupiter. To get to the Sun you need to compensate Earth's orbital velocity around it. Which is about 67000 miles per hour. Otherwise you would be orbiting it, just like Earth does. Getting to Jupiter requires about the same amount of energy as going into Earth's orbit. I do not have the mathematics at hand, but if I remember correctly, getting to the Sun is about 55 times more energy intensive than getting to Mars. And the difference in getting to Mars vs getting to Jupiter is relatively marginal.

Low life idiots leaving them there for animals to step on, well people to of course.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Low life idiots leaving them there for animals to step on, well people to of course.
    It was on a trek road, they wanted someone to step on it... not animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    It was on a trek road, they wanted someone to step on it... not animals.
    I know that but it's likely some animals could step on it too. Care more about them anyways especially after the fires that claimed millions if not billions of life's.

Important thing here is that people can be absolute scumbags.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Well no actually. That works until you start calculating the effects of gravity. To actually crash something into the sun, you need to create a decaying orbit, which means it will crash into the sun somewhere between 5 minutes and 350 million years from when you establish the orbit, depending on how severe the decaying trajectory is.

Generally, the faster you want it to slam into the sun, the more energy you have to spend, because you need to fight against gravities natural urge to spin it around the sun indefinitely. Everything in the solar system is always falling into the sun, but most of it has enough lateral velocity to avoid actually hitting it (Like the earth, which is constantly falling toward the sun, but also going sideways so fast that it is constantly missing).

So yeah, it takes a LOT of energy to slam into the sun quickly. If you aren't too worried about timelines, it wouldn't take that much energy to have them crash into the sun a few million years from now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Most animals will be fine. Wild animals typically don't stomp down their feet like humans do, and only rather large animals will really exert enough pressure to hurt themselves. So in this context, they might hurt Kangaroos, but 95% of the time it is going to be a human getting hurt, not an animal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    And I thought I had it bad when I stepped on a hornet exploring my shoe.
    Honestly, I was expecting an infected hangnail and the US insurance industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Another sign that mental illness is running rampant yet nobody does anything.