Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    No, the brand star wars made disney money, she only ensured they made a lot less than they should have.
    You still need someone to run the studio and manage projects, that didn't happen on its own. If anything, Solo and Resistance are proof that Star Wars doesn't just print money off of name recognition alone.

Again, hate her or love her, Lucasfilm has done quite well under her management.

I also feel like people think heading Lucasfilm is her first gig, or even the first time she has worked with the company. Her resume is ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    So did Michael Bay transformers franchise.
    You need to understand tho that transformers, Star Wars gain alot of money from the build up world that alrdy got made.
    Star Wars had 3-4 generations of a fanbase when Disney bought the franchise it should crush Marvel numbers since it has the bigger following.

they kept Micheal Bay in charge of transformers to the point that the franchise is damaged to a point of no recovery.
    Keep Kathleen Kennedy running LucasFilm and the same will happen to Star Wars, and maybe it alrdy crossed that line.
    Michael Bay and Kathleen Kennedy have very different jobs.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-01-27 at 07:46 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if some one has made “ Kathleen Kennedy rapes my childhood” shirts like they did for Lucas. It’s kinda funny really people complained about Lucas not listening to others when he made the prequels but now that Kennedy is supposedly delaying stuff so they can get more eyes on it the tune has changed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I know people have their opinions, especially on this site, but only of those projects actually bombed - that project still broke even.
    Yeah, and most of that can simply be attributed to the brand. If they were putting out stuff of this quality that didn't have such a major name attached to it, it would flop. Look at stuff like Alice in Wonderland, Prince of Persia, Tron: Legacy, John Carter, Tomorrowland. Fairly big sci-fi and fantasy epics, all at least on par with or better than Rise of Skywalker, and every single one was a flop because nobody cares about those properties.

And frankly, if you look at when Disney acquired Lucasfilms, you'll see that Star Wars has basically taken the place of those films in Disney's release slate.

Yes, obviously they make a shitload of money. But that's not the entire story. The film franchise itself is clearly in decline, with each new film performing worse than the last.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Yeah, and most of that can simply be attributed to the brand. If they were putting out stuff of this quality that didn't have such a major name attached to it, it would flop. Look at stuff like Alice in Wonderland, Prince of Persia, Tron: Legacy, John Carter, Tomorrowland. Fairly big sci-fi and fantasy epics, all at least on par with or better than Rise of Skywalker, and every single one was a flop because nobody cares about those properties.

And frankly, if you look at when Disney acquired Lucasfilms, you'll see that Star Wars has basically taken the place of those films in Disney's release slate.

Yes, obviously they make a shitload of money. But that's not the entire story. The film franchise itself is clearly in decline, with each new film performing worse than the last.
    Star Wars has never made more money though...

All I'm trying get is someone to tell me how she is killing the franchise.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I think that were Kennedy not in charge the brand would have been better off.
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    they kept Micheal Bay in charge of transformers to the point that the franchise is damaged to a point of no recovery.
    Don't know about that. "Bumblebee" was a good, fun movie. (and oddly enough, I thought the human element portrayed by Hailee steinfeld was well done)

At the cinema? Maybe. In terms of the merchandise? I haven't seen any figures, but I would be willing to bet that it's nowhere near what Disney would expect. Feel free to provide figures to prove me wrong, I will happily admit to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. The Clone Wars series did a good enough job fleshing out Kenobi. I find a new series to be unnecessary. Not really looking forward to this = /
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    At the cinema? Maybe. In terms of the merchandise? I haven't seen any figures, but I would be willing to bet that it's nowhere near what Disney would expect. Feel free to provide figures to prove me wrong, I will happily admit to it.
    Star Wars, even with most generous estimates is still 2 billion in the negative (And due to inflation it will only become expotentially more difficult to recoup it) when you calculate in not just initial price but also disasters like the Galaxy's Edge park that cost them over a billion to build and now stockholders are not amused when its barren. Once I get home from work I will dig up the data stuff if you so desire.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds great but can't quite see a success without somehow involving Qui-Gon Jinn too. Guess It'll be set inbetween episodes III and IV or I and II though I doubt they'll splurge on Liam Neeson. Nonetheless it'll be interesting whatever they come up with.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

I would love to know where you are getting your information from.

Never made more money? She took what is quite literally the SINGLE MOST SUCCESSFUL FRANCHISE IP in cinema history, and allowed it to be butchered so badly that the capstone movie, the BIG FINISH to the entire saga is literally going to under perform a side story spinoff movie about a bunch of throwaway extras...... That is about as far from a benchmark for "success" as you can possibly get.

And sorry, but the Mandalorian's success has almost nothing at all to do with Kennedy other than the fact that it is set in a universe she is nominally supposed to be overseeing corporate control over.

Why are we lingering in the past wity more prequels? We should be advancing the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Why are we lingering in the past wity more prequels? We should be advancing the timeline.
    Because advancing the timeline is how the studio and the property ended up where it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Because advancing the timeline is how the studio and the property ended up where it is now.
    The timeline hasn't advanced at all. The sequel trilogy is a rehash of OT era, with the exact same factions (evil empire vs small rag tag rebellion) with the same aesthetics (junkyard spaceships), with almost exactly the same trio of characters (young person who lives a humble background on a desert planet discovers their legendary ancestry, bad boy hotshot pilot, etc).

"the property ended up where it is now" due to an egregious failure to plan and mismanagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The timeline hasn't advanced at all. The sequel trilogy is a rehash of OT era, with the exact same factions (evil empire vs small rag tag rebellion) with the same aesthetics (junkyard spaceships), with almost exactly the same trio of characters (young person who lives a humble background on a desert planet discovers their legendary ancestry, bad boy hotshot pilot, etc).

"the property ended up where it is now" due to an egregious failure to plan and mismanagement.
    Hey. Just because it amounted to a bunch of wheel spinning and ruining established character's accomplishments to hand them to someone's shitty OC doesn't mean the timeline hasn't moved forward.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Star Wars, even with most generous estimates is still 2 billion in the negative (And due to inflation it will only become expotentially more difficult to recoup it) when you calculate in not just initial price but also disasters like the Galaxy's Edge park that cost them over a billion to build and now stockholders are not amused when its barren. Once I get home from work I will dig up the data stuff if you so desire.
    Source? Tried to search but only coming up with disney+ costing a bunch to launch.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Source? Tried to search but only coming up with disney+ costing a bunch to launch.
    https://practicaleconomics.org/disne...-the-finances/

This is quite a good article and breakdown that accounts in all the data we know and those we can speculate about heavily slants it in favour of Disney so they'll be given the benefit of the doubt under best estimates.

It does not account in however the Galaxy's Edge plunder that cost Disney a billion and is suffering terribly from lack of visitors.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/05/01/...axys-edge.html

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...rogress-report
    Last edited by Wilian; 2020-01-30 at 04:20 PM.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    https://practicaleconomics.org/disne...-the-finances/

This is quite a good article and breakdown that accounts in all the data we know and those we can speculate about heavily slants it in favour of Disney so they'll be given the benefit of the doubt under best estimates.

It does not account in however the Galaxy's Edge plunder that cost Disney a billion and is suffering terribly from lack of visitors.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/05/01/...axys-edge.html

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...rogress-report

So in otherwords. It's not that they are loosing money from starwars. They are still just recouping their original investment?

Thats not the doom and gloom you are trying to make it out to be.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So in otherwords. It's not that they are loosing money from starwars. They are still just recouping their original investment?

Thats not the doom and gloom you are trying to make it out to be.
    Some 3 billion if we account in Galaxy's Edge. And I didn't try to be doom and gloom per se. But it's still a very large gap to be bridged especially when productions are winding down. And as explained in regards how economics of acquisition work, it becomes far more difficult to recoup the value paid as time goes by. They're not really yet on the track to cross that bridge and it's not getting easier.

Thanks for the links, much appreciated. I will check them out when I get some time.

Gladly.

While TFA and even TLJ brought in quite a lot of cash in ticket-sales, they failed to sell merchandise. RoS is even worse, barely making more than a billion in tickets.
    Please remember that those nice, big-sounding numbers are the gross, from which Disney only gets a percentage. From the 500+ millions domestic Disney gets a whopping 60% on average, so in the ballpark of 300+ millions. The foreign market is even worse, with Disney usually getting 40%, so maybe 200+ million dollars.
    Now compare the net takeaway of 500+ million dollars with the 275 million dollar productions cost, and then double the cost to account for marketing.
    RoS is having a hard time breaking even, with the slim chance of making a loss at the ticket booths. As of last week (Jannuary 24), RoS is behind Rogue One in box office performance.
    TLJ is NOT selling on the DVD/BR market, we can expect RoS to do the same. Merchandise sales, especially for the new characters where Disney does not have to pay George Lucas anything, accross the globe and board are down.
    So far Disney has, if you look at the net numbers and not the gros, not re-earned the 4 billions they payed GL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.