Poll: Which do you prefer?

Thread: Old or new?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Old or new?

Do you like old things, like old video games and old movies, or do you like new stuff? I prefer the latter because of quality of life improvements and prettier graphics.

5+ Year Old Account
    I do like modern amenities for the quality of life improvements. However I dislike certain aspects of modern tech. One being adding wifi connectivity to just about everything for no real reason in my opinion. Certain old things are nice though for the charm they bring from a distant past, video games and movies ect. Now I am also a big fan of the old analog controls in machinery too as well as relay logic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give me old school, things that can actually be fixed by the owner....

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a case per case basis, if you mean on average, I'd say that older games were superior because of technical constraints which made it harder and forced the programmers to work in a way that resulted in a higher high quality, not only in 2d games, also in 3d which made use of many techniques to mimic high quality graphics

while the old games feels more pleasurable to play for me, newer games on average have better gameplay and raw "entertainment" value, but again it's a case per case basis

as for movies, there's always very good movies anytime, but lazy computer effects tends to give current days movies a bad name

on in all it seems that easy access to technology makes more quantity than quality

I like both really. A good movie from 40 years ago is a good movie. Just like a good movie from today is a good movie. It is easy to look back and say things were better, but the truth is you have the filter of time. Trust me in the 80's their were just as many trash movies as their are today. But when you look back now you find, remember, and see the things that were a success. Today when you go you are actually dealing with the crap shoot of is it good or not a whole lot more and living and dealing with it first hand. I find this to be the case with just about all media from video games, music, TV, and movies.

Old movies for sure, back before everyone got offended over everything. Video games as well too honestly. Wrath was one of the best expansions. Runescape was great until EoC came along and destroyed the game. Now OSRS has a much larger community and viewership on Twitch. I also had a lot of fun playing Red Faction 2, and Baldur’s Gate on PS2.
    Last edited by muto; 2020-01-27 at 05:31 AM.

New games and old movies for me.

10+ Year Old Account

You can't get quality stuff like this today

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Generally, I prefer newer games because of what you pointed out, better graphics. But when comes to movies, depends on the movie. Some old ones are far better than the newer movies.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I am reading through old comic books at the moment, and immersing myself in the culture, music, film references etc of the time. I also used to play a lot of retro games back when I had the time to game properly (sadly not so much lately), and I have a huge backlog of old movies I've always meant to check out that I occasionally work through. I've basically given up on old TV shows since I just don't have the time for 22+ episode seasons anymore (although I am watching Boondocks at the moment, which I always meant to check out, luckily they're short episodes!).

So I guess I mostly fall on the old side, but I have to say any time I look up old stuff on Youtube I find a swarm of boomer comments like "they just don't make them like this anymore" or "these days it'd be all cursing and swearing, gerdamn kids got no respect"... and I have to roll my eyes.

I mean sure some things were better "back then", some great stuff was made, but you know, also a lot of crap. Some things are definitely better now. I think it's closed-minded to think one is great and the other is garbage. I do feel like films were overall better in the 80s and 90s... but that's probably partly nostalgia. There was a lot of crap back then we all selectively forget, and there's some great stuff coming out now.

TLDR: on the topic of old vs. new I'm bi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I like the old aesthetics of wood paneling.

5+ Year Old Account
    Generally speaking, I prefer newer everything. That being said, I can see how new things can sometimes be worse than older incarnations (new movies tend to focus more on captivating their audiences through graphics rather than story or contemplation of deep concepts, health concerns with new technologies like GMOs and 5G, etc.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I go by the Vimes Theory. I like new things, I tend to buy new things, but where it is possible to do it without knee-capping myself I will get something of good quality that will go on to serve over a span of years. Usually this means that things like clothing or furniture take on a comfortable familiarity, but electronics will be replaced once they fall behind the curve.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both..?

There were some good things made in the old days and good things made nowadays. There are bad things made now, and bad things made in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    I go by the Vimes Theory.
    I see you are a man of culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Flarelaine They were good books, it would be a pity to see them drift out of people's awareness.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Old and new are both equally great to me. In the older days they had *technical limitations* which meant they had to use their creativity to make the best game possible within those limitations. Now that there is less technical limitations it's hard to know what developers should make when they can make almost anything. It's a catch-22.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    @Flarelaine They were good books, it would be a pity to see them drift out of people's awareness.
    Absolutely. I hope there will be more adaptations, the ones we have are mostly decent.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Do you like old things, like old video games and old movies, or do you like new stuff? I prefer the latter because of quality of life improvements and prettier graphics.
    Stuff was better before the SJW movement.

When hardcore purists complain about new things it kind of gets on my nerves.