Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dealing with other cultures

Disclaimer: Let's try not to derail into things like race and religion beyond what is strictly necessary to provide context!

I'm not trying to bait a race or religion discussion, but I have a comfort range when it comes to cross culture interactions. I've spend enough time in China that I've had to become familiar with some things, including how grating it can be when someone just goes their own way like a bull in a China shop. Where I try to tread carefully though is Central Asia and the Middle East, because I'm agnostic and I feel it is the equivalent of being unable to see a common ground.

This came up tonight because of the virus here. A friend got the heck out and went home to a Central Asian country. I went to wish him good luck and good health, but he is Muslim and I'm vaguely aware that just wishing good luck might be graceless without including Inshallah. Since I'm agnostic, I felt pretty darned awkward adding it and I'm not sure I used it correctly; however, if I were in Italy I'd wear proper clothing to visit churches, and if someone who wouldn't recognize Gesundheit sneezes I'll say "bless you".

How do you guys deal with the cultural awkwardness of such things?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Abroad, sure be respectful. But back home I ain't going out of my way adhering to their demands they might make.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-01-28 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    Disclaimer: Let's try not to derail into things like race and religion beyond what is strictly necessary to provide context!

I'm not trying to bait a race or religion discussion, but I have a comfort range when it comes to cross culture interactions. I've spend enough time in China that I've had to become familiar with some things, including how grating it can be when someone just goes their own way like a bull in a China shop. Where I try to tread carefully though is Central Asia and the Middle East, because I'm agnostic and I feel it is the equivalent of being unable to see a common ground.

This came up tonight because of the virus here. A friend got the heck out and went home to a Central Asian country. I went to wish him good luck and good health, but he is Muslim and I'm vaguely aware that just wishing good luck might be graceless without including Inshallah. Since I'm agnostic, I felt pretty darned awkward adding it and I'm not sure I used it correctly; however, if I were in Italy I'd wear proper clothing to visit churches, and if someone who wouldn't recognize Gesundheit sneezes I'll say "bless you".

It's only awkward if you make it awkward. People will generally understand that you mean well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heran
    People will generally understand that you mean well.
    Sure, people will usually understand, but I prefer to try to be a bit more polished and do things correctly. It makes people happy.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Every time I turn around I see Russia and its people getting in to trouble, morally.

The latest is that some Russian guy has claimed copyright on the entire SCP library and now threatens to shut the entire site down.

No reason. Just one day he decided to be an asshole.

Not sure what it is, but I think the corrupt government of Russia is rubbing off on its citizens.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-01-28 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Forbidden Topics - Nationbashing

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Every time I turn around I see Russia and its people getting in to trouble, morally.

The latest is that some Russian guy has claimed copyright on the entire SCP library and now threatens to shut the entire site down.

No reason. Just one day he decided to be an asshole.

Not sure what it is, but I think the corrupt government of Russia is rubbing off on its citizens.
    Non-Russians do that crap all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Non-Russians do that crap all the time.
    yeah but I read about Russians doing fucked up things way more often.

- Opening websites dedicated to de-virginizing women for money.
    - Copy Right Trolling
    - Notorious cheaters in games.
    - Websites or Youtube channels dedicated to animal abuse.
    - Troll Farms
    - Abuse against homosexuals.

I know it's not everyone. But I hear about weird shit Russians do a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post

I do things my way. If it offends someone of a different culture, they are welcome to ask me to correct something. Ill generally abide by it if it is something important to them.

Not everything is about me and my beliefs. It costs me $0.00 and 0 energy to be courteous to a different culture.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Never understood why people get offended by culture differences. I do what I find to be courteous and respectful. If it's something that offends them in their culture, explain it to me. If you get angry even though you know I'm not from said culture you are just a dick. Ironically anyone berates someone for not doing what respectful in their culture instantly, is at the same time intolerant to the other persons culture and their norms.

Not everyone and everything is out to offend you.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    @Josuke You know, you never add anything to a thread. You pop in to toss off an insult and look for a fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shoo with the derail. Nobody here is discussing race.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Vegas82 Nope, not if you actually read. People have been staying to culture, how about we keep it that way?

10+ Year Old Account
    @Vegas82 Have a nice day. You aren't adding to the discussion so I think I'll leave you to opine to your heart's content. Others seem to be able to understand the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Never understood why people get offended by culture differences.
    Because they think their culture is the only one and the right one and anyone thinking otherwise is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Because they think their culture is the only one and the right one and anyone thinking otherwise is wrong.
    Which is a silly attitude to hold in the case of things like cuisine or fashion.

Not whether or not people deserve basic human dignity, as you repeatedly quibble about in every thread that involves remotely giving a shit about another human being, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You don’t have to say they, we know you’re talking about yourself.
    "They" is apt because it's also true for lots of individuals in lots of cultures. "They" in this case are the ones being offended as described in my post.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    They is apt because it's also true for lots of individuals in lots of cultures. They in this case are the ones being offended by what someone outside their culture does.
    Imagine getting culturally triggered by the concept of human rights, lol.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Imagine getting culturally triggered by the concept of human rights, lol.
    Oh yeah, that's the only thing that people are offended by.

Have you looked at any thread regarding China, dating or family or even my country? How people respond to me or Katie? Or to bungee on the topic of china?
    Last edited by Freighter; 2020-01-28 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Oh yeah, that's the only thing that people talk about.

Have you looked at any thread regarding China, dating or family or even my country? How people respond to me or Katie?
    Yes: entirely appropriately considering the content of your posts is generally fairly sociopathic.

Again, that's not "cultural relativism", that's you trying to weaponise your culture, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha My culture is stuck in the late 80's and early 90's!

That said my contemporaries or those I enjoy doing things with are going to be those likely closer to my own age, shit that most younger people would find boring. Other than that, I am old now, most Rape hip Hop and Pop culture and Media are pure garbage to me. Honestly if you are younger than say 28, we really can't even have a conversation that consist of anything eventful or important for either of us. I don't care about race, or religion too much, politics I do, but only as it relates to my core values.

Life and let live, do no harm, but also take no shit.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis