10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Russia has skyrocket its agriculture last few years, arguably now world's #1 agriculture nation, especially on wheat.
    Warmer climate will open up land previously frozen, so there are winners, no need to munch on bugs, I call that propaganda by media. The same media that is in bed with the elites to destroy the middle class unsurprisingly wants us to eat insects...

As for what europeans eat compared to asia, its of less diversity, more what people are suited for, cows, pigs, chickens, fish, n even those can cause outbreaks, having like everything that walks or crawls on the menu in asia just increases the risks.

As for local customs, the easier to stomp them out for good. Some things need to be ridd of for good.

- - - Updated - - -

Over a hundred have died, n it can mutate...
    He says while buying into the overeaction by the media on the wuhan virus.

I am really afraid of this virus I hope it does not come into my country

10+ Year Old Account
    @Ihavewaffles To each their own. Have a waffle for me!

Yikes! Apparently waffles are popular and require gigantic images, or perhaps Bing just thinks they do.

For my part, if it is good to eat, I'll eat it. If it might be good to eat, I'll try it. I like variety and choices. Not everyone is comfortable with that, and RNG is RNG -- sometimes you discover something good and sometimes you discover that it cannot be unseen.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Over a hundred have died, n it can mutate...
    idk. this guy just thought he had a rough flu, now he says he doesn't feel "100%" but that's it.

i mean, i've had the flu once, and it was rough. would suck to get something like it again. idk if it's worth the hysteria though.

its infectiousness is worrying though, makes avoiding it hard. but i'm sure the US or some other western country will have a vaccine for it before too long. then we've got one extra poke to get every year.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    we should have closed our borders to china the moment this popped up.

but, i've been reading that there was a case in birmingham and the guy feels fine? some fat older guy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ambulance.html

seems like it's not that big of a deal, honestly.
    Viruses have a so called incubation period. It takes time from you getting infected to you showing symptoms. So closing your borders might be to late. Also:

1.) Not everybody who is infected will show symptoms. People's immune systems and their strength to fight off viral infections differ. Therefore, you can have someone with influenza sneeze upon two people: Both get infected, one of them walks off fine, the other one dies.

2.) Not all infections with a break out of the sickness progress the same way. Many factors contribute to how well you're able to shake off diseases. You can contract Ebola and walk away completely fine. Even if you're 'some fat old guy.'

This new strain's mortality rate seems to be around 2%. While this may sound low, it is not. It's less than Ebola, or the more comparable SARS, but it's still significant.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Its no over-reaction, over a hundred have died...

It's spreading everywhere, quite scary.

The media n corporate evil wants us to eat garbage like in that movie the Snowpiercer, they don't consider those who aren't wealthy to be human worth of dignity...

Maybe we need every generation to open camps in siberia for the worst spineless capitalists there are..a purge now and then or the scum gets to sure of itself..

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

The media n corporate evil wants us to eat garbage like in that movie the Snowpiercer, they don't consider those who aren't wealthy to be human worth of dignity...

Maybe we need every generation to open camps in siberia for the worst spineless capitalists there are..a purge now and then or the scum gets to sure of itself..
    In a country of 1.6 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    idk. this guy just thought he had a rough flu, now he says he doesn't feel "100%" but that's it.

i mean, i've had the flu once, and it was rough. would suck to get something like it again. idk if it's worth the hysteria though.

its infectiousness is worrying though, makes avoiding it hard. but i'm sure the US or some other western country will have a vaccine for it before too long. then we've got one extra poke to get every year.
    This particular strain infects the lower respiratory system - your lungs, bronchi and trachea. You don't develop the usually associated symptoms of the flu, like sniffles. It does come with fever, headache and coughing, though. It's more akin to pneumonia.

Developing vaccines takes months. We've gotten a lot better at it, but you can't simply clap your hands together to get one. Developing it in large enough qualities also takes a significant amount of time.

To answer your question: Is it worth the hysteria? No. Should you keep an eye out for it? 100% yes.

- - - Updated - - -

You're aware that people with poor education are the first to get purged, right? If I was you I'd not wish for something like that to happen, tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

In a country of 1.6 billion.
    Well, it does spread fast. This thing will claim a lot more lives. But so far the hysteria is blown way out of proportion, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    sometimes you discover something good and sometimes you discover that it cannot be unseen.
    Such as skinning and boiling animals alive like civet cats, rats, dogs, cats, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Overreaction? If anything, the media is being conservative with their figures.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say it's a lot more than that. Thirty million people quarantined, hospitals to be built in a week. The Chinese government are never going to tell the truth; they're liars. But there is sense in this madness too, don't want to create a huge mass panic.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    For my part, if it is good to eat, I'll eat it. If it might be good to eat, I'll try it. I like variety and choices. Not everyone is comfortable with that, and RNG is RNG -- sometimes you discover something good and sometimes you discover that it cannot be unseen.
    You havent tried the best of chinese cuisine until you had something fried in gutter oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    This new strain's mortality rate seems to be around 2%. While this may sound low, it is not. It's less than Ebola, or the more comparable SARS, but it's still significant.
    Isn’t that 2% low? Last I checked there was something like 132 deaths 80 recoveries and over 6000 infections. I know the traditional calculation is deaths/infections when looking at something long term where the numbers are in the millions so a few new cases has little effect on the ratio, but with this being a brand new virus, looking at death/infections doesn’t really give an accurate picture.

If you infect 10000 people simultaneously, and in 2 days 10 people die, 5 people have recovered, but 9985 remain infected. Saying the death rate is only 0.1% doesn’t seem accurate as we don’t know the outcome of the remaining infected.

Going by the known outcomes of those who were infected, but no longer are, we end up with 15 people with a known outcome, so 10/15 would give us a better idea of the death rate, 66.6%.

So based on that, it looks like, until we get more known outcomes from this virus, the total based on the numbers I last saw would be 132 dead out of 212 outcomes, 132/212 gives us 62.3%

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    You havent tried the best of chinese cuisine until you had something fried in gutter oil.
    I’d like to pass on cancer, thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    @Verdugo That was new and edgy ... years ago. Now go look up how lard is made and what it goes into.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

So should I be worrying about this or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheamus View Post
    Depends on where you live and your general health.

If you live in Wuhan and aren’t in good health, R.I.P.

But more seriously it sounds like they might have a trial vaccine already, so if you aren’t near places where you could come into contact with someone from Wuhan, you are likely safe and don’t need to be concerned.
    Last edited by swiftowner; 2020-01-29 at 04:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah.

The only fatalities are in China from completely untreated cases. They've already got viral cultures to work on a vaccine and better treatment/identification methods.

Modern medicine is actually quite wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Depends on where you live and your general health.

If you live in Wuhan and aren’t in good health, R.I.P.

But more seriously it sounds like they might have a trial vaccine already, so if you aren’t near places where you could come into contact with someone from Wuhan, you are likely safe and don’t need to be concerned.
    I live in the UK and I would say I am a healthy person. I am just a bit of a hypochondriac.

I am, considering that this virus may be transmittable for up to 2 weeks, I am not taking any chances. I tend to over prepare anyway, but better safe than sorry.

-I've got some washable face masks with air filter inserts arriving in the mail within the next few days.

-I bought a bunch of hand sanitizer yesterday and have already instructed my children on how to use it.

-We've also gone over protocol on how to minimize contact with infectious disease. This will be repeated everyday till it becomes habit.

-If an outbreak begins in my region, I have already made plans to keep my children out of school and stay home from work if I need to.

-We have plenty of food and water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this is akward:

10. nov. 2019
    Red Alert 3:Corona is a MOD of the original Red Alert 3 by Chinese modders. The MOD started in 2017 and it's still in development.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ouch!

I just opened up the morning WeChat and found a post that asked a rather pointed question: with all of the disaster relief funds we see, where is the support for China as it faces this virus?

It goes on to ask why, instead, there is a strong undercurrent of Sinophobia in the general discussions about the virus.

OK, I get that there is a bread and circuses element to the virus. For most it is something that is removed enough that it is more of a spectacle than something that personally involves them, and that takes a back seat to things like the impeachment hearings. And yet, having seen that question, I do find it odd. This isn't really a breaking story any more. Where are the things we would usually see, where is something like a celebrity talking about the need to get masks to children because they are one of the vulnerable groups and school has been set back at least a month?

https://www.insight.co.kr/news/265272

South Korea going to provide 2 million masks and in addition to that eyewear and other clothing to protect.