Looking for a legit Horde Orc Warrior PVE DPS guide

As title says, I am looking for a legit in-dept horde orc warrior guide. Most of the guides are generic contradicting guides that make simpletons like me hurt their head! I have a few questions that I would also like answered.

1) Is flurry axe good for orc warriors, like really good worth 1k+ in gold as BWL is about to come out? The proc seems like it should be good?

2) Seeing as horde warriors get access to windfury, should we be prioritizing hamstring over heroic strike as fillers and only be using heroic strike at like above 80 rage?

3) Is edgemaster gauntlets worth getting as an orc as some of the swords and daggers in the upcoming rai are really good?

4) As gear is getting better and rage generation is getting better, is it worth the single point in overpower or is 3/3 heroic strike better?

5) Deathbringer or Neferian axe as MH?
    Last edited by Bunzai; 2020-01-27 at 05:06 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    join the classic warrior discord and learn as much or as little as you could ever desire

(all of these responses assume orc)

1) Kinda curious myself. Our MT uses it b/c he says it's the best aggro wep available atm. I didn't see much a of difference in dps using the warrior dps spreadsheet with it in the offhand vs the AV axe in the offhand, but the war dps spreadsheet was acting kinda buggy for me.

2) I'm pretty sure ham is better overall, and for DW it helps flurry uptime alot. I use it as 2h instead of heroic because im really often aggro capped.

3) The bis combo when BWL is out is deathbringer in MH, Chul'whatever (the nef axe) in the offhand. DB is better in MH b/c of how slow it is. That said, CTS is not an awful MH if you're getting unlucky with drops, and you'd want an edge for that.

4) no idea

5) answered in 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bunzai View Post
    As title says, I am looking for a legit in-dept horde orc warrior guide. Most of the guides are generic contradicting guides that make simpletons like me hurt their head! I have a few questions that I would also like answered.

1) Is flurry axe good for orc warriors, like really good worth 1k+ in gold as BWL is about to come out? The proc seems like it should be good?

2) Seeing as horde warriors get access to windfury, should we be prioritizing hamstring over heroic strike as fillers and only be using heroic strike at like above 80 rage?

3) Is edgemaster gauntlets worth getting as an orc as some of the swords and daggers in the upcoming rai are really good?

4) As gear is getting better and rage generation is getting better, is it worth the single point in overpower or is 3/3 heroic strike better?

5) Deathbringer or Neferian axe as MH?
    Just to give you my answers.

1) Good pre-BWL only if your using MH Deathbringer, if not, Dal Rend's Set is higher dps.

2) The only reason you should not use Heroic Strike(HS) is if you are climbing too close to the tanks on threat. If your high on threat, switch to Cleave as that does more dps then Hamstring. If your threat is not an issue, HS as a filler always.

3) Edgemasters is BiS up to Naxx regardless of race. Seeing as the bulk of dps on horde side comes from white damage WF hits, you can never have enough +hit/+weapon skill gear.

4) Overpower can be a dps increase if you can macro stance dancing into it to use the procs when BT/WW are on CD. The issue is that you can clip your white damage at times when switching stances. If you can master it, the 1 into overpower is worth it, but if you can't, then 3/3 HS is the way to go.

5) As the previous poster stated, DB in the mainhand, Nef Axe in offhand.

Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post

1) Good pre-BWL only if your using MH Deathbringer, if not, Dal Rend's Set is higher dps.

2) The only reason you should not use Heroic Strike(HS) is if you are climbing too close to the tanks on threat. If your high on threat, switch to Cleave as that does more dps then Hamstring. If your threat is not an issue, HS as a filler always.

3) Edgemasters is BiS up to Naxx regardless of race. Seeing as the bulk of dps on horde side comes from white damage WF hits, you can never have enough +hit/+weapon skill gear.

4) Overpower can be a dps increase if you can macro stance dancing into it to use the procs when BT/WW are on CD. The issue is that you can clip your white damage at times when switching stances. If you can master it, the 1 into overpower is worth it, but if you can't, then 3/3 HS is the way to go.

5) As the previous poster stated, DB in the mainhand, Nef Axe in offhand.
    The benefit of wep skill past +5 is negligible. An orc using axes does not need to use edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    The benefit of wep skill past +5 is negligible. An orc using axes does not need to use edge.
    That only applies to special ability hits. +weapon skill over 5 does help with white damage. Depending on your FPS, you will do about 32-36% of your damage as white damage. White damage hit cap is much higher then special abilities and requires a massive amount of +hit. +weapon damage is exactly the same as +hit. +weapon damage just lowers the hit brackets for mobs that are higher level then you. with edge equiped on an orc is like making a level 63 mob have level 61 mob +hit requirements.

And to add to it, +weapon skill also lowers damage penalty of glancing blows, capping out at 308 weapon skill which can only be obtained with edgemasters or OEB for 2 hander fury. The glancing blow mechanic is only affected by +weapon skill. +to hit does not affect glancing blows.
    Last edited by MrA; 2020-01-29 at 06:22 PM.

That only applies to special ability hits. +weapon skill over 5 does help with white damage. Depending on your FPS, you will do about 32-36% of your damage as white damage. White damage hit cap is much higher then special abilities and requires a massive amount of +hit. +weapon damage is exactly the same as +hit. +weapon damage just lowers the hit brackets for mobs that are higher level then you. with edge equiped on an orc is like making a level 63 mob have level 61 mob +hit requirements.

And to add to it, +weapon skill also lowers damage penalty of glancing blows, capping out at 308 weapon skill which can only be obtained with edgemasters or OEB for 2 hander fury. The glancing blow mechanic is only affected by +weapon skill. +to hit does not affect glancing blows.
    Having 305 weapon skill vs a lvl 63 means you need 6% hit. You gain 0.1% hit for every 1 weapon skill past that so it's very negligible. The benefit of weapon skill comes from reducing the glancing penalty. When fighting targets 3 levels above you, you have a 40% chance to glance. Glancing blows do 35% less damage against lvl 63s when you are at 300 weapon skill. At 305 weapon skill they do 15% less damage. At 308 weapon skill, it caps out at 5% less damage. There is no practical reason to go above 308 weapon skill. If you really wanted to, you could hit 315 weapon skill and then have a special hit cap of 5%, but these points would be much more useful if allocated elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Having 305 weapon skill vs a lvl 63 means you need 6% hit. You gain 0.1% hit for every 1 weapon skill past that so it's very negligible. The benefit of weapon skill comes from reducing the glancing penalty. When fighting targets 3 levels above you, you have a 40% chance to glance. Glancing blows do 35% less damage against lvl 63s when you are at 300 weapon skill. At 305 weapon skill they do 15% less damage. At 308 weapon skill, it caps out at 5% less damage. There is no practical reason to go above 308 weapon skill. If you really wanted to, you could hit 315 weapon skill and then have a special hit cap of 5%, but these points would be much more useful if allocated elsewhere.
    Well the question then is if you're already at 305, is wearing edge worth a 10% increase in 40% of your melee hits. Pretty sure you'd have to sim that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Well the question then is if you're already at 305, is wearing edge worth a 10% increase in 40% of your melee hits. Pretty sure you'd have to sim that.
    Almost all cases it's not. Youd be missing out on a lot of stats from a different pair of gloves.

I've been reading about the heroic strike bug, where when you Q your heroic strike it turns your OH auto attack to use the yellow hit table and not the 27% miss, and you just cancel heroic strike before your MH hits so you dont waste rage on it. Any of you guys use that bug and if so, is it worth it?

I've been reading about the heroic strike bug, where when you Q your heroic strike it turns your OH auto attack to use the yellow hit table and not the 27% miss, and you just cancel heroic strike before your MH hits so you dont waste rage on it. Any of you guys use that bug and if so, is it worth it?
    Sounds like a ton of effort, but I might mess around with it if I ever get a DBer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to correct you here but you can. By around 8 weapon skill (Aka puts you at 308), you've already reduced the glancing blow penalty as low as it can go. Originally believed to occur at +10 weapon skill but lastest tests found it's actually at 8, as glancing blows damage reduction starts at 40% but cannot be reduced lower than 5%.

By +5 weapon skill, every extra point is only reducing chance to miss by 0.1% per point (and I presume the crit penalty by the same amount but I haven't checked this)

So, 300-305 weapon skill (up to +5) provides an astounding benefit (you get this from the axe racial as an orc anyway) as you're also gaining the largest boost to your hit chance.

305-308 provides a marginal benefit, as glancing blows are still being toned down, but benefits to your hit chance are now marginal beyond this point.

308+ is barely beneficial, and not worth making a fuss over and you're better off getting other stats given the choice.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...AWE/edit#gid=0 my calc i made way back for weapon skill and hit. there's a calculation sheet tab at the bottom where i hid the formulae and inner workings.

In any case if someone were to take you literally and nab weapon skill whenever they can, and they're already at 300+8, they are getting very small benefit beyond that, and if it's at the cost of +str or +1% crit or whatever, i would take the latter.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting read if curious as to my sources https://bookdown.org/marrowwar/marro...mechanics.html
    Last edited by Will; 2020-01-31 at 12:09 AM.

This, you only need 6% hit. I thought this was common knowledge? Also, its not a bug, its working as intended and confirmed by Blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    In any case if someone were to take you literally and nab weapon skill whenever they can, and they're already at 300+8, they are getting very small benefit beyond that, and if it's at the cost of +str or +1% crit or whatever, i would take the latter.
    Well, you'll notice, your crit also increases with weapon skill. Up to 305, you get 0.2% chrit chance, per weapon skill. Not entirely sure how it works after that.

Join the "Fight Club" warrior discord, it has all the info you need.

If you are an orc only use axes, don't use swords.

Don't use edgemasters if you are human or orc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    This, you only need 6% hit. I thought this was common knowledge? Also, its not a bug, its working as intended and confirmed by Blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you'll notice, your crit also increases with weapon skill. Up to 305, you get 0.2% chrit chance, per weapon skill. Not entirely sure how it works after that.
    We're not entirely sure, and it needs more testing: but if it benefits crit above 308 then the amount is so negligible that someone who is already at 308 or higher weapon skill would be plain nerfing themselves if they opted for Edgemaster's over something else. For instance a human combat sword rogue only needs 1 point in Weapon Expertise talent to get to 308. They'd be misguided to equip any +sword skill gear if it's a choice between that or something with other stats instead.
    Last edited by Will; 2020-02-05 at 07:09 PM.