10+ Year Old Account
    @Jinro Good to see! At least in Beijing there is a large Korean community.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    It goes on to ask why, instead, there is a strong undercurrent of Sinophobia in the general discussions about the virus.
    Pretty much, mostly seeing jokes and excuses to hate on the Chinese for eating bat soup; rather than much genuine concern; but probably just the dumb corners of the internet I inhabit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Ouch!

I just opened up the morning WeChat and found a post that asked a rather pointed question: with all of the disaster relief funds we see, where is the support for China as it faces this virus?

It goes on to ask why, instead, there is a strong undercurrent of Sinophobia in the general discussions about the virus.

OK, I get that there is a bread and circuses element to the virus. For most it is something that is removed enough that it is more of a spectacle than something that personally involves them, and that takes a back seat to things like the impeachment hearings. And yet, having seen that question, I do find it odd. This isn't really a breaking story any more. Where are the things we would usually see, where is something like a celebrity talking about the need to get masks to children because they are one of the vulnerable groups and school has been set back at least a month?
    Why would a celebrity be talking about something your own government doesn’t even deem a real problem. After it’s only 7000 sick and less than 200 dead right? Right? I mean there is already 150,000 medical staff there. That’s over 20 per sick person. How much more aid do you need?
    Now if China came out said half million infected, 10 of thousands dead (probably closer to truth) All travel in and out of country is banned and no one was offering assistance then you could claim *sinophobia* until then just another twitter crybaby using buzzwords.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Pretty much, mostly seeing jokes and excuses to hate on the Chinese for eating bat soup; rather than much genuine concern; but probably just the dumb corners of the internet I inhabit.
    i mean, maybe if china would have made shit like "wet markets" illegal, this wouldn't have happened.

do medieval-tier shit in modern societies with hundreds of millions of people, you spread disease and make life worse for everyone else around you.

there's a vast difference between making fun of and discouraging shit like that vs. making fun of harmless things like burning incense and praying. as we see now, the former doesn't just effect YOU, it effects the entire world. we've now got a global pandemic, and y'all wanna bitch about respecting culture? this is why the west will die.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i mean, maybe if china would have made shit like "wet markets" illegal, this wouldn't have happened.

do medieval-tier shit in modern societies with hundreds of millions of people, you spread disease and make life worse for everyone else around you.

there's a vast difference between making fun of and discouraging shit like that vs. making fun of harmless things like burning incense and praying. as we see now, the former doesn't just effect YOU, it effects the entire world. we've now got a global pandemic, and y'all wanna bitch about respecting culture? this is why the west will die.
    The West won't die and will ultimately beat China because liberal democracy is the only system that can survive in perpetuity because it can handle times of depressions and course correct without needing violence to implement changes.

that map is %100 accurate. I know for example there is one confirmed case in hokkaido. Watched it yesterday on TV. Damn it is scary. I can fight things bigger than me, but the shit I cannot see? hard pass.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Is that why North Korea's Cruel Regimes survived through Famines?
    Because of the government leaders insane brutality.
    Technically every country survives in the sense that physical regions never dissapear and war and genocide is going away. So what I meant is survive without living in total squalor.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    course correct without needing violence to implement changes.
    LMAO You don't need Liberal Democracy to implement change without violence.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    LMAO You don't need Liberal Democracy to implement change without violence.
    The general population does need a consensus and consent based government to impement change. In the other two systems, fascism and communism, the leaders won't let the people remove them from power without the threat of force.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-01-30 at 05:37 AM.

The general population does need a consensus and consent based government to impement change.
    No they don't.

In the other two systems, fascism and communism, the leaders won't let the people remove them from power.
    Again, countries can implement change without removal from power.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    No they don't.

Again, countries can implement change without removal from power.
    The leaders of a fascist or communist based regime can implement top-down policy change, I'm talking about bottom-up policy change.

The leaders of a fascist or communist based regime can implement top-down policy change, I'm talking about bottom-up policy change.
    And you said Top Down Policy Countries can't survive through a Depression, which is not true.

The West won't die and will ultimately beat China because liberal democracy is the only system that can survive in perpetuity because it can handle times of depressions and course correct without needing violence to implement changes.
    Is that why China has existed for 4000 years without Liberal Democracy?
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-01-30 at 05:49 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    And you said Top Down Policy Countries can't survive through a Depression, which is not true.
    It depends on how bad the depression is and how authoritarian the government is. Non-democracies are basically a ticking timebomb.

It depends on how bad the depression is and how authoritarian the government is. Non-democracies are basically a ticking timebomb.
    Is that why China was able to Survive for over 4000 years without a Liberal Democracy? China has also been through some of the Worst "Depressions" in history.

Non-democracies are basically a ticking timebomb.
    So are Democracies.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-01-30 at 05:55 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is that why China was able to Survive for over 4000 years without a Liberal Democracy?
    China is only about 50 years old though. They largely destroyed their prior culture when communism took over and because of The Great Leap Forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys, can we please leave the liberal democracy squabbling in the politics sub forum?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

China is only about 50 years old though.
    Wrong.

They largely destroyed their prior culture when communism took over and because of The Great Leap Forward.
    No it didn't, also the Great Leap Forward was also about Farming.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-01-30 at 06:04 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Guys, can we please leave the liberal democracy squabbling in the politics sub forum?
    Yes fine but the fact that they have a shitty system is a part of the reason that there's a lot of poverty. Poverty breeds a lack of regard for sanitary luxuries and that's what causes a lot of these new viruses.

Yes fine but the fact that they have a shitty system is a part of the reason that there's a lot of poverty.
    And you have no clue what you're talking about Wuhan is not a Poor City/Area in China, but then again you're the one who thinks you need Liberal Democracy in order for a country to Survive especially when there are countries have existed Without Liberal Democracies since the beginning.

I guess you also forgot to mention that China's Middle Class and Wealthy have grown substantially in numbers.

Poverty breeds a lack of regard for sanitary luxuries and that's what causes a lot of these new viruses.
    You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Wet Markets and Lack of Regulations are completely different from Poverty.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-01-30 at 06:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2
    Yes fine but the fact that they have a shitty system is a part of the reason that there's a lot of poverty. Poverty breeds a lack of regard for sanitary luxuries and that's what causes a lot of these new viruses.
    That was so mindbogglingly badly thought out.

You've pulled one assertion out of thin air, trying to associate poverty with the start of new viruses. Novelty meats are, if anything, a luxury for the wealthy. Poor guys are munching on steamed buns or rice.

I'll follow my own advice and bite my tongue on your political assumption. There are dozens of threads in the subforum that go round and round on this, let's stick more or less to topic here. OK?