Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    After the trash armour sets for 8.3, I wouldn't be surprised if cosmetic armour sets hit the store within the next year or so, but I hope not and especially not through loot boxes. Remember when they said they got rid of tier sets to give us more set variety? Yet now we're getting 1 set for each armour type this patch with minor differences on the elite/mythic version. Really feels like they're putting little effort into making cool new armour that can be earned in game.

Don't forget they recently included a transmog set in the grossly overpriced digital collector's edition for Shadowlands, as well as a transmog set for the updated recruit a friend system. Both of which actually look like quality sets, rather than glorified quest gear we've gotten in 8.3. Feels like they're testing the waters for more monetised cosmetic sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    I think those fees exist as a form of preventing players from hopping around willy nilly. I suppose they could lower the fee and put a 1 year CD on transfers per character.
    or they could just let their paying customers play with who they want without virtual server boundaries being an obsticle. Just a thought.

If a mythic raided now want to swap guilds, this very often means he needs to gobble up 25-35 euro (per char... more than many AAA games cost nowdays). to move his char(s) to said guild.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    If Blizzard would have introduced paid loot boxes in WoW, would you think it’s a new low and stopped playing the game overall?
    Not sure. I've never purchased a loot box before. I would say it would be a bold move with all the drama around it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
    If you are paying to get carried through content that only 5% of the playerbase can complete then you are getting gear from that content that is better than what 95% of the playerbase has.

Thus giving you an advantage over 95% of the playerbase. This can be paid for with real world money.
    The fact that it can be paid for with real world money is insufficient to prove pay 2 win. A game only classifies as pay 2 win when paying money becomes the method of choice.

Simple logic proves that this is impossible if your "Pay 2 Win" involves paying another player to help you accomplish something. Because within such a system, the person selling the service has to achieve it without paying cash for it.

Real Pay 2 Win involves a direct conversion of money into power, not buying that power from another player.

"Pay 2 Win" isn't literal. It's anything you can buy with real world money to give you an advantage over someone who doesn't fork over money.
    What kind of wishy-washy definition is that? You are trying to prove that WoW is shitty because it's P2W, but you've got such a useless definition for P2W that WoW meeting the criteria proves nothing really. All you're doing is strawmanning and you're doing a pretty poor job of that even.

WoW has that. I didn't have to write 500+ words either. It's a fact.
    It's an arbitrary fact that demonstrates exactly nothing (aside from the glaring inadequacy of your argument)

"Pay 2 Win" as you describe it is unproblematic. Who cares if some loser player is at a slight advantage over some other loser player simply because he used his credit card to buy gold to pay some non-loser player to help him out with something?

"Pay 2 Win" only becomes problematic when it starts forcing players to spend money in order to stay competitive. And WoW does not have that. That's the important fact.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2020-01-29 at 01:18 PM.

I support paid cosmetic stuff in these Indie companies. We gotta help them survive somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    If Blizzard would have introduced paid loot boxes in WoW, would you think it’s a new low and stopped playing the game overall?
    I already don't play without lootboxes so...

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    I collect for completion I've been saying for years I don't care what it looks like just gimmie stuff to collect
    Naturally, it's your prerogative. If upping your numbers is all you desire, that's you. But I stand by the point that in general, aesthetics and visual progression are an important part of an MMORPG.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Let's be real here though, they wouldn't stop adding in armor and things to collect. We have a backlog of 15+ years of cosmetics to collect, and that collection would still grow even if they added these theoretical lootboxes (that most likely would be Cosmetic and earnable in-game). It'd literally only affect those who can't control their addictive habits and splurge on these boxes, like any other bad habit that isn't exclusive to lootboxes - and MMORPGs heavily abuse this already.
    BfA has been pretty meh about armor sets for the most part. Of course it's a subjective thing to a point, but a lot of people, myself included, do not believe that Uldir and Eternal Palace gear is all that good. Especially for 4 sets instead of the usual old 12 sets.

If they had put up 4 great armor sets on the store during the Eternal Palace raiding period, I'm sure people would've bene upset about that. No matter how much there is of something, people will always want something new-- just look at the covenant armor. Sometimes, a particular style or theme hasn't been touched upon that a person in particular really likes until a certain point in time, so even if they have a million armor sets, that newest one might be the one they truly love.

Same for mounts, pets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post
    I wouldn't care. So long as the store only has cosmetic stuff it doesn't bother me one bit.

I've accepted that a in game store is a reality in every multiplayer game in current day and age. I'd advise everyone else to accept it too, as it's not going anywhere.
    it is only "not going anywhere" because people "accept it" you are part of the problem, not the solution.

7+ Year Old Account
    The loot boxes they added to rep back in legion is one of the things that made me quit. Dumb people will always defend them but loot boxes really are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumile View Post
    it is only "not going anywhere" because people "accept it" you are part of the problem, not the solution.
    This is true. The only reason it is here now is because people didn't rail against it hard enough then-- including myself. I take responsibility for my part in being too easy on the store in its beginning stages.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    The loot boxes they added to rep back in legion is one of the things that made me quit. Dumb people will always defend them but loot boxes really are the worst.
    They said they wouldn't do them any more. But lo and behold, Nazjatar added another lottery box.

Depends on what's inside?
    Toys? I dont give a shit.
    Raid gear? I would never touch WoW again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    BfA has been pretty meh about armor sets for the most part. Of course it's a subjective thing to a point, but a lot of people, myself included, do not believe that Uldir and Eternal Palace gear is all that good. Especially for 4 sets instead of the usual old 12 sets.

If they had put up 4 great armor sets on the store during the Eternal Palace raiding period, I'm sure people would've bene upset about that. No matter how much there is of something, people will always want something new-- just look at the covenant armor. Sometimes, a particular style or theme hasn't been touched upon that a person in particular really likes until a certain point in time, so even if they have a million armor sets, that newest one might be the one they truly love.

Same for mounts, pets, etc.
    Honestly the entire design for most armor sets have been rather mediocre for the last few years. Certain classes differ, and certain parts to each set also differ as well, but overall it hasn't really been any good for a long time. Ever since they scrapped class based armor in favor of more unique designs it always has been hit or miss - usually miss. But regardless, I get what you mean.

I don't think Blizzard would make lootboxes exclusive to the store (They are very well aware of what that would do), and honestly the pets and mounts shouldn't be either but everyone has "accepted" that now. Yeah sure you have tokens but casually, unlike Overwatch and a few other games, you aren't getting them without dropping some cash.

3+ Year Old Account
    No. I would probably buy a few hundred of them depending on their content.

15+ Year Old Account
    I’m surprised casting animations, dances, transmogs, mounts, additional emotes/speech are not already included. Okay, mounts are. I’d even be fine with in game stuff from previous expansions.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Krewshi View Post
    Toys? I dont give a shit.
    Raid gear? I would never touch WoW again.
    I will correct that for you:

Things you can achieve ingame? I dont give a shit.
    Things you cannot achieve ingame? I would never touch WoW again.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post
    I wouldn't care. So long as the store only has cosmetic stuff it doesn't bother me one bit.

I've accepted that a in game store is a reality in every multiplayer game in current day and age. I'd advise everyone else to accept it too, as it's not going anywhere.
    Nope, stop playing any and all games that do this. There are good games that don't do it.

Vote with your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    People like you are so blind and naive and it is very sad you can't see the bigger picture and why the gaming industry is going downhill.
    People like you are so narrow minded and delusional and it is very sad that you can't see the bigger picture and that the gaming industry is now bigger than ever before with more users (players) than ever before.

The fact that you don't like or approve of the way gaming industry is developing doesn't mean that it is going downhill.

I'll never understand dudes like you, why do you even care if some guy bought his green pants from the real money store, is it jealousy or hate if you can't afford them yourself or what is it, I'm genuinely curious ?

I've played many games that contain lootboxes, be it Apex, Dota, PUBG or something else, and I've never spent a dime or cared about others that did as long as it does not affect gameplay.

On the topic, I would stop playing if those lootboxes contained:
    a) gear, artifact power or anything else that would boost the power of your character
    b) cosmetic items that are obtainable by playing (for an example TLPD)

As long as store cosmetics are just store cosmetics, who cares. No one is going to go "whoa look at the mount that this guy has!" because everyone knows he just swiped his credit card with zero effort.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroloGeo View Post
    Loot boxes are a predatory system. The money is not made with players who buy one or two boxes, it is made with people who can’t control their needs and won’t stop buying them until they get their target or everything.

It would be clearly a low for WoW. I’m having a hard time explaining to my friends why I’m still playing WoW, that would make it more difficult for sure.

And, in fact, I would prefer that lootboxes contained mythic raid gear than cosmetics. The hunt for cosmetics is my gameplay, if the art teams creates new assets I want them to be obtainable in game behind some mechanic, quests, treasures, reps... I would care less if people bought mythic gear with lootboxes, it would not affect my gameplay in any way.

TLDR Lootboxes are a predatory system and if they contain cosmetics they consume gameplay we would have otherwise.
    I'll help you with your answer to your friends: "I play wow because I'm a grown ass man/woman and I decide what to do with my free time"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Nope, stop playing any and all games that do this. There are good games that don't do it.

Vote with your wallet.
    I agree, there are good games that don't do it, but there are the minority. Wish there were more.

And yes the only vote that counts is the wallet one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fartoo View Post
    People like you are so narrow minded and delusional and it is very sad that you can't see the bigger picture and that the gaming industry is now bigger than ever before with more users (players) than ever before.

The fact that you don't like or approve of the way gaming industry is developing doesn't mean that it is going downhill.

I'll never understand dudes like you, why do you even care if some guy bought his green pants from the real money store, is it jealousy or hate if you can't afford them yourself or what is it, I'm genuinely curious ?

I've played many games that contain lootboxes, be it Apex, Dota, PUBG or something else, and I've never spent a dime or cared about others that did as long as it does not affect gameplay.

On the topic, I would stop playing if those lootboxes contained:
    a) gear, artifact power or anything else that would boost the power of your character
    b) cosmetic items that are obtainable by playing (for an example TLPD)

As long as store cosmetics are just store cosmetics, who cares. No one is going to go "whoa look at the mount that this guy has!" because everyone knows he just swiped his credit card with zero effort.
    Whatever dude, keep living in your bubble and pay for those cosmetics and loot boxes. That's why we now have games like Fallout 76, Warcraft 3 Reforged, Anthem and many others.