Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

WoW Patch 8.3 aka Melee DPS patch.

-Corruption system clearly is more suitable for melee DPS;
    -Invasion mobs' HP pool is unreasonably high;
    -Visions are DPS checks with mechanics punishing mostly healers, tanks and range DPS;
    -Overall all content now are DPS checks and push for more instant on demand AOE/ST damage.

Blizzard really dropped the ball on tanks, healers and range DPS this patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    PVE content has been favoring Ranged DPS over melee due to punishing anti-melee mechanics for years, save for a rare few exceptions. Sorry if I aint adding to your violin concerto here.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I mean being a ranged DPS has been hard since 8.0.
    But I'm glad people are starting to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    -Visions are DPS checks with mechanics punishing mostly healers, tanks and range DPS;
    -Overall all content now are DPS checks and push for more instant on demand AOE/ST damage.

Psst. Healers and tanks are not supposed to be fast soloers.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

You have to be kidding me with this crying ... you do realize that boomkins, huntards, locks and mages are freekin owning the shit out of 8.3 right?

Do what? It favors anyone who has right corruption procs. Both ranged and melee have procs that can be great, same for tanks. Not 100% sure on healer ones since I haven't looked much on them.

This has nothing to do with how melee are better. Range can at least kite and dps if need be.

I've seen tons of ranged dps be able to 5 clear already. Has nothing to do with melee dps.

It wasn't designed as tank or healer content since it has a timer and this was known way beforehand. You can do either role though if you group with others since they'd really shine there with pulling so many mobs and mowing them down with aoe.

You mean how content has always been a dps check in some form? You want to kill things quicker before more bad stuff happens. Not exactly rocket science.

Not really. That's just your perception. Nothing you said shows that it is a patch that favors melee when range have the same advantage if not more since they can be spread out, not have to group up as much, etc. This will always be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    PVE content has been favoring Ranged DPS over melee due to punishing anti-melee mechanics for years, save for a rare few exceptions. Sorry if I aint adding to your violin concerto here.
    I Agree x100

I don't remember a single patch when people didn't bitch about this. Melee players claim everything favors ranged, and ranged claim everything favors melee. Same old

Ranged is superior in raids, melee everywhere else. Not really anything new, but Blizzard doesn't want to implement the potential fixes to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Do what? It favors anyone who has right corruption procs. Both ranged and melee have procs that can be great, same for tanks. Not 100% sure on healer ones since I haven't looked much on them.
    The corruption downsides punish melee less than ranged, generally. Echoing Void and Twilight Devastation also slightly favor melee just because positioning for them is easier.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I don't remember a single patch when people didn't bitch about this. Melee players claim everything favors ranged, and ranged claim everything favors melee. Same old
    Depends on the content. Mythic+ favors melee. To pretend otherwise ignores empirical evidence that all good groups have at least two melee. Sometimes even three melee if they can get away with it due to affixes, but that's rare and depends on the tank or healer (ie: do they have a druid, did they get a DK instead of a Warrior, brez's, etc.). They can still make the difference without lust with drums. Its immediate burst cleaves.

Ranged usually get favored in raids. There was a lot of multi-dot spread bosses in past tiers for them to utilize, but also because a lot of people cater to ranged stats when they aren't necessary. Furthermore a lack of ranged = melee get more mechanics peppered into their happy melee circle ring. Even though ranged are favored in terms of recruitment though melee still like to ignore that they're always competitive in raids and can still win the top of the meters often even then. But they do have a point that it is contingent on ranged's existence/ratio.

And then of course we add Visions, which, if you break it down and really examine it fosters the same kind of behaviors and playstyles as Mythic+. Except you can also get rid of the tank and just roll four dps and a healer instead if you want to. Or the traditional mythic setup, either works. And what has been effective at timed, clocked scenarios where you drag and murder everything? Gee, I wonder what roles those have been for the past few years. Oh, what's that? This new form of progression isn't available in raids where ranged either stand toe to toe or have a perceived advantage (vs the giant gap of mythic+)? Huh.

Nothing to see here melee have it rough!!!11

Maybe DKs. At least DK's have the decency to have meh mobility to make the whole "Sometimes we leave melee and lose a single auto-attack!" argument to have some meat to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    The corruption downsides punish melee less than ranged, generally. Echoing Void and Twilight Devastation also slightly favor melee just because positioning for them is easier.
    Um....no they don't? They punish range way less. A bad eye drop could mean you can't melee during it's duration depending on placement unless you put a lot of burden on your healers to stay in it. Range can sidestep and still be in range regardless. Thing from Beyond melee can't dps as much as range still can while kiting it.

Echoing Void favors melee just because they are in range easier unless it has a range on it which I haven't seen if there is. Which in that case Range can swap to another corruption just as easily. Twilight Devastation isn't exactly easier on one than the other, except maybe favoring range slightly more. Since it is just "in front of you" so range can position themselves easier to hit the boss/adds while melee could miss out on a mob depending on how they group (since sometimes grouping is odd) and depends on how the cone is shaped.

Um....no they don't? They punish range way less. A bad eye drop could mean you can't melee during it's duration depending on placement unless you put a lot of burden on your healers to stay in it. Range can sidestep and still be in range regardless. Thing from Beyond melee can't dps as much as range still can while kiting it.

Echoing Void favors melee just because they are in range easier unless it has a range on it which I haven't seen if there is. Which in that case Range can swap to another corruption just as easily. Twilight Devastation isn't exactly easier on one than the other, except maybe favoring range slightly more. Since it is just "in front of you" so range can position themselves easier to hit the boss/adds while melee could miss out on a mob depending on how they group (since sometimes grouping is odd) and depends on how the cone is shaped.
    Ranged lose damage from avoiding the eye or kiting the Thing, melee don't (assuming you don't position so 1 eye pushes you out of melee, which is a misplay). Thing can be CC'd anyway, which makes it more spec- than role- dependent.
    Twilight Devastation also has pretty short duration (and thus range), meaning you need to be similarly close to Echoing Void to get value. It's not a frontal beam, it's like Fury of Elune spawned from you and travelling forwards.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2020-01-31 at 10:53 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Ranged lose damage from avoiding the eye or kiting the Thing, melee don't (assuming you don't position so 1 eye pushes you out if melee, which is a misplay). Thing can be CC'd anyway, which makes it more spec- than role- dependent
    Ranged shouldn't lose much damage since usually it's a side step, cc, etc. Though I guess depending on your spec it could be a little more punishing like Mage (though with blinks it might not even be an issue), destruction lock, shadow priest etc. Melee, again is depending on how things are being positioned and stuff. I know when I had it on one of my toons the radius was a bit big and could take up an entire hitbox and drops directly on top of you. So this one would be more dependent on how big the hitbox is on some mobs I'd suppose.

Twilight Devastation also has pretty short duration (and thus range), meaning you need to be similarly close to Echoing Void to get value. It's not a frontal beam, it's like Fury of Elune spawned from you and travelling forwards.
    Yeah these two I haven't seen much and all my corruption so far has been "X is increased for Y reason" so I can't even test it myself. So I can't fully say more about it and just going by the spell descriptions I'm seeing.

Ranged shouldn't lose much damage since usually it's a side step, cc, etc. Though I guess depending on your spec it could be a little more punishing like Mage (though with blinks it might not even be an issue), destruction lock, shadow priest etc. Melee, again is depending on how things are being positioned and stuff. I know when I had it on one of my toons the radius was a bit big and could take up an entire hitbox and drops directly on top of you. So this one would be more dependent on how big the hitbox is on some mobs I'd suppose.

Yeah these two I haven't seen much and all my corruption so far has been "X is increased for Y reason" so I can't even test it myself. So I can't fully say more about it and just going by the spell descriptions I'm seeing.
    If the eye takes up the entire hitbox, ranged doesn't "just sidestep" either, you waste multiple GCDs moving.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

If the eye takes up the entire hitbox, ranged doesn't "just sidestep" either, you waste multiple GCDs moving.
    But the difference is majority of the range can still cast while moving and have very little dps drop whereas if melee move out of hitbox range they drop their dps to zero which was where I was heading with that. Plus most range have a "bounce" type move like disengage, blink, that backwards leap boomkins can talent, etc. Shadow priest don't have something and maybe elemental, but I haven't looked at their kit lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    And the melee players are objectively correct. There are very few end bosses throughout the years that have favored melee in any substantial way. If anything, there's usually one good melee class or spec for a given tier. Ferals on Nef come to mind.

This doesn't mean that ranged do more damage than melee per se, but they have a ridiculous amount of mechanical advantages on most end bosses throughout the years.

M+ is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyram View Post
    I mean being a ranged DPS has been hard since 8.0.
    But I'm glad people are starting to notice.
    Not sure if trolling or just really bad. Ranged has been way better than melee in all raid content this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Reivur View Post
    Ranged usually get favored in raids. There was a lot of multi-dot spread bosses in past tiers for them to utilize, but also because a lot of people cater to ranged stats when they aren't necessary. Furthermore a lack of ranged = melee get more mechanics peppered into their happy melee circle ring. Even though ranged are favored in terms of recruitment though melee still like to ignore that they're always competitive in raids and can still win the top of the meters often even then. But they do have a point that it is contingent on ranged's existence/ratio.
    Being competitive on the meters doesn't help you kill the boss on most serious fights. If I think back to the end bosses I'm familiar with, like Gul'dan or Blackhand or Margok, it's much more preferable to have another mechanics monkey than someone that tops meters. Obviously dps is important, but if you don't have the right stuff to handle the mechanics in the most optimal way on serious progression, then that dps won't get you very far.

But the difference is majority of the range can still cast while moving and have very little dps drop whereas if melee move out of hitbox range they drop their dps to zero which was where I was heading with that. Plus most range have a "bounce" type move like disengage, blink, that backwards leap boomkins can talent, etc. Shadow priest don't have something and maybe elemental, but I haven't looked at their kit lately.
    There's 1 ranged that can cast while moving and 100% of melees. And again, melee can position so the eye doesn't push them out of range, ranged always have to move and lose damage. Spending movement abilities on corruption means you don't have them for regular mechanics.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2020-01-31 at 11:15 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Horrific Visions favours melee by ALOT!

With that said, its still 100% possible to complete enough to upgrade the cloak with any spec.