Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Shadowlands, level squish and old raids

I must admit, I don’t follow these things too closely, but was there any info released on the old raids in shadowlands?

With the stat squish and every previous expansion going 1-50, it’s safe to assume every old raid will be lvl50. Even with the extra 10 levels it might not be feasible to go there for pets/mounts/transmog and whathaveyou. Plus that “new” rule that you can only efficiently farm a place if it’s 2 expansions old or older might be wrongfully used in the shadowlands case.

they only said it should be as easy to farm old raids as it is now.... the questions is if and how they will screw up the unnecessary squish.

10+ Year Old Account
    They said that everything you can do right now will be doable on launch day.

Let's see how that goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    they only said it should be as easy to farm old raids as it is now.... the questions is if and how they will screw up the unnecessary squish.
    Curious, did stat squishes screw things up? I can't recall any. Levels is basically another stat in essence. It's a number and I see no reason why it can't be squished as other stats.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious if they are going to make BFA raids legacy loot in Shadowlands at lvl60...

Quote Originally Posted by Tang0 View Post
    I must admit, I don’t follow these things too closely, but was there any info released on the old raids in shadowlands?

With the stat squish and every previous expansion going 1-50, it’s safe to assume every old raid will be lvl50. Even with the extra 10 levels it might not be feasible to go there for pets/mounts/transmog and whathaveyou. Plus that “new” rule that you can only efficiently farm a place if it’s 2 expansions old or older might be wrongfully used in the shadowlands case.
    It will be fine,

People were raging and bitching when we had an ilvl squish and complained half the old raids wouldn't be soloable any more. When in reality it had the exact opposite effect. Will be the same again.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

They are never gonna take away the accessibility to go back and farm old transmogs, too many people love doing it and its even achievement based now. Why is there a thread about this everytime there is a squish. They didn't take it away last squish, they aren't going to take it away this squish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Most people on the internet nowadays need a good spank.

The only way I can see they're going to make Legacy loot possible with the new leveling system, is if they get rid of the +10 system. Make it +5 or +7, no problem in Shadowlands. But +10 won't be good.

While old stuff should still be easily doable, it'll probably feel different due to things changing. I was clearing old raids faster as a 110 in Legion than I was for quite a while as a 120 in BfA. Of course, the spec I play the most also isn't really suited for running old content (shadow priest), but it was still a lot faster to run say, ICC pre-squish in Legion than it is now.

I just hope that with this level squish they make everything more consistent. Legacy buffs or not, I don't like seeing WotLK raid bosses having more HP than WoD raid bosses.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    It will be fine,

People were raging and bitching when we had an ilvl squish and complained half the old raids wouldn't be soloable any more. When in reality it had the exact opposite effect. Will be the same again.
    if memory serves me, the raids were indeed harder to do with the squish, they later fixed that after the complaining

so yeah the raging and b itching was justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleb View Post
    I'm curious if they are going to make BFA raids legacy loot in Shadowlands at lvl60...
    Doubtful, the last expansion is intentionally not included in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    It will be fine,

I won’t lie, right after the stat squish in legion clearing HFC became notably harder, than it was before the squish. But that’s not exactly what i’m eluding too.

As they squish the levels, building the formula, hopefully, from the ground up, they will probably go towards linear power increase with levels. As in you probably won’t be getting, say, 5 stamina per level at 1-50, and 51-60 will start giving you a 100. So potentially bringing All the raids to lvl 50 playing field, being 10 levels behind max level, might mess things up.

As soon as some of the old raid mobs or bosses start hitting you for even a noticeable amount of damage some encounters can flat out break.

I feel like a lich king fight, for example, tuned with, say, current mythic antorus numbers, could prove a bit more than challenging.

And I don’t really believe they will put any effort into fixinf these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Curious, did stat squishes screw things up? I can't recall any. Levels is basically another stat in essence. It's a number and I see no reason why it can't be squished as other stats.
    The stat squish negatively affected leveling quite a bit at first. Some things were undertuned or overtuned (Somehow) and there were sometimes abilities just broken in either a positive (OP) way, or negatively. I remember some ability, I think Shamans had, where they actually had their mana drained instead of increased? There were instances of this.

I will not be shocked if similar things happen again.

There is no stat squish. only level one

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Curious, did stat squishes screw things up?
    There's a quest in Silverpine Forest, one of the ending quests I believe, and the guy there used to stomp people but it's fixed now. I'm sure there's other examples but that's all I know of from experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Imurbandaid View Post
    Why is there a thread about this everytime there is a squish.
    Fear. No one wants their shit taken away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by qactuar View Post
    but it was still a lot faster to run say, ICC pre-squish in Legion than it is now
    Certainly noticeable. I'd expect a couple moonfires to be enough for creatures 40 levels lower than myself.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

With the stat squish and every previous expansion going 1-50, it’s safe to assume every old raid will be lvl50.

I don't see any reason whatsoever to assume that this will be the case.

Shadowlands will allow you to pick an expansion to level through, but they will still have regular level frames. So if you believe that Molten Core will somehow be on the same level as Antorus, then you are definitely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    if memory serves me, the raids were indeed harder to do with the squish, they later fixed that after the complaining

so yeah the raging and b itching was justified.
    yeah, for like 2 weeks until everything got fixed

The level is only a number and it's that getting squished. Our player power isn't getting squished in SL (seems they like doing that ever 2nd expac now)

Quote Originally Posted by Imurbandaid View Post
    They are never gonna take away the accessibility to go back and farm old transmogs, too many people love doing it and its even achievement based now. Why is there a thread about this everytime there is a squish. They didn't take it away last squish, they aren't going to take it away this squish.
    Its a new topic because there has never been a level squish?
    "If you don't know who I am -- then maybe your best course is to tread lightly." - W.W.

10+ Year Old Account

In theory it will be an adjustment like the WoD item squish where the algorithm for handling damage done/taken vs grey mobs is tinkered with. The big question is when that algorithm kicks in since all currently-existing content will stay relevant to level 50 come 9.0.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    The big question is when that algorithm kicks in since all currently-existing content will stay relevant to level 50 come 9.0.
    Thats the bit misconception. All we know is that you can *choose* to have previous expansions scale 10-50 for a linear leveling experience, dubbed "Chromie Time". But they also said that you can just forego this feature and level like you did before (ie. still "playing the warchief shuffle") - which to me indicates that all content gets assigned fixed level bands if you are outside of "Chromie Time".

And of course you exit Chromie Time once you reach level 50.

Maybe something like this:
    1-10 Introduction
    10-30 Classic
    30-35 BC/WotLK
    35-40 Cata/MoP
    40-45 WoD/Legion
    45-50 BfA

This is just a guess, but plausible. They might also use wider bands (ie. 10 level) and assign more expansion per band to make it less jarring to level the "old" way (ie. less skipping around).
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2020-01-31 at 03:52 PM.