Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Essences should have been account wide since the day they were added, all ranks included.

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_RUS View Post
    Essences should have been account wide since the day they were added, all ranks included.
    Either that, or just give us an option to buy them for alts once they're unlocked, even at a steep price. Make it 200 pearls for Lucid 3, 50 crates for Vision 3, whatever. But not a month of dailies each day FOR EACH ALT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Testodruid View Post
    Good for you, you are far from the average player with that playstyle. I could wildly assume that the majority would benefit from accountwide essences.
    And you seem to be a "funny" guy too using gifs instead of making a good case for your argument, very refreshing and "fun" indeed!

I disagree with you completely but thats okay.
    And I could widely assume that gamers would benefit from spending less time crying on forums every time a video game hurts their widdle entitled feelings.

Furthermore I don't need to make a good case for my 'argument' because I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else. It isn't hard to get essences, even some of the good ones, and it doesn't take a carefully construed argument to make that any more or less true.

What kind of player I am is irrelevant. The most casual-do of casual-do's could get through a +4 for focusing iris/anima, or spend an hour opening up the 3 essences in Mechagon, or do the intro stuff for N'zoth assaults and quickly get a couple solid essences that way.

But nope, y'all would rather sit on the echo-chamber that is this forum looking for anger-validation that your mage's essences should be available to your rogue or your paladin or whatever, for no other reason than 'but I don't wanna!!!'

Its entitlement, plain and simple. And as these forums prove on a regular basis, there's no arguing with angry, over-entitled people.

Rank 1s are a joke make rank 3s account wide or don't even bother honestly.

The solution is so so so so simple - have the essences drop from actual CONTENT (m+/raids/non-gated quests/PvP) and not time-gated rep (or pseudo rep/follower) grinds. That way you still have the 'individual' character progression without the absolute monotony of grinding the same content (and even OUTDATED content) just to remain competitive.
    Also don't make essences from different content extremely good, or even necessary, for other content - why must we feel obligated to grind endless pvp for an essence to use in pve (and vice versa).

I really don't mind saving up resources from m+ for focusing iris/seed, heck even the EP raid essence is easy to farm for main spec, but having to spend months in Nazjatar & Mechagon for every alt is horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp1on2 View Post
    having to spend months in Nazjatar & Mechagon for every alt is horrendous.
    You don't need Exalted anymore to get Rank 3, which means you can get it done in a week, maybe 2 if you don't do *everything*.
    And Rank 2 probably on Day 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I have 22 110s, ranging from 425 ilevel to 457, 13 of which have their Wrathion cloak and all of which have at least 4-5 essences.
    How did you manage to unlock the cloak at lvl 110

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    But thats a good argument for having to earn those. The best and strongest shouldn't be free.

I would fully support unlocking rank 1 baseline (as soon as you earned it one character), and maybe up that to two if you have rank 3/4?. But rank 3 is really powerful, and should be earned.

Alt-Catchup gear is entry-level, not end-game. If you want end-game power, you need to work for that.
    I did earn them. Multiple times. It's stupid that I have to repeat the same shit content to be relevant in the content I enjoy, and the "we don't give power account wide" argument is complete bullshit because they did it this expansion with the +15 neck level stuff from CoA.

- - - Updated - - -

All the Mechagon essences are easier to get. They lowered the rep for the vendor essences and you can even get the essence/sprockets from OM in heroic, which is just laughably easy.

And it isn't like there's a spec/class that breaks down and stops working without the EP essence.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't matter. This is something they're not caving on, they were explicitly clear about their reasons for it, and no amount of redundant whiny topics on MMO-champion is going to change that.

I have close to 2 dozen 120s and every single one of them has a good set of essences. Maybe not all of their 'OMG BEST IN SLOT' essences but, you know, they're alts. I don't need the absolute best min-max-gain 1% dps essence for world quests and the occasional mythic.

Life goes on, I promise.
    Yeah, and that's how you use "alts". To me they're more opportunities to raid heroic/mythic and do M+, where essences do matter(and require repeating shit content instead of just doing the content I enjoy for gear)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    3 hours is a big chuck of time? This is one of the most entitled things that has ever been said on this website.

It negatively affects everyone because this is an item used for power. It is exactly the same as if your main character was allowed to copy their own gear and pass it down to Alts. And when I say copy, I mean that weapon restrictions and armour restrictions don't apply here. Hunter pants copies to pants for every class. A bow copies to a weapon or two for every class.

If it isn't as obvious to some people as it is for people who actually use their brain then there is also the argument of don't be fucking lazy. You don't deserve it

- - - Updated - - -

He justifies it poorly. Showing a screenshot with an explanation on how he didn't do any work at all to get any esscences is not justifying it well. The same failed argument told in a different way is not justifying it well.
    Except we already have gear to differentiate mains/alts(which is a stupid outdated concept in the first place, there's just characters), adding like 20-30 hours of boring repetitive content before you really get to the gearing part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Rank 1 on all the essences but about 4-5 for each spec out of 14 take less than a hour each. Not sure how you get a huge chunk of time. Rank 2-3 requires a little bit more time on some, but not all. Rank 4 and several 3's are the only ones that take "a big chunk of time". So about 70% of the essences you can get take less time, but you think it requires a bunch of time? This also doesn't take into account you only need 4 per spec. Some are really easy to get too.

They have no argument though. All it does is show they put in zero effort to do anything. Rank 1's aren't hard to get at all. The argument they justified is that they are lazy and lazy people should be handed Rank 1's.
    You need more than 4 per spec, and most essences need R3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krewshi View Post
    Because you need to spend more time playing your characters and grinding out their essences to know how to play that class better
    I don't learn shit about playing my characters from WQs or random BGs or 1600 rating 2v2 or whatever. You know where I do learn how to play my characters? Outside of the game and then in the content that gives me gear(M+/raids)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    You need more than 4 per spec, and most essences need R3.
    You need only 4 as there are only 4 slots. If you are wanting to go for more then you are starting to hit min/max territory and even then most specs only swap out one essence for another. You might be thinking more than 4 per some class, but again different territory.

Rank 3 is something entirely different and isn't the subject of the conversation as only Rank 1's are. Even then you only need 4 and not all.

Because it isn't difficult at all to get most rank 1 essences, that's why. I'm legit curious how some of you even functioned in vanilla/BC etc, back when literally EVERYTHING was done per character.
    Vanilla was 13 years ago. The game has had a lot of time to improve, and then they decided to make stupid decisions based on the justification that Vanilla/TBC were even worse so it's fine. Fuck off and play Classic if that's what you want, Retail doesn't need to be Classic too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    I just want to say I agree with you completely. For me WoW is an mmorpg, where character progression is essential. My warlock alt is not my Demon Hunter main. To do an effort on my Warlock and then achieve that goal is what makes WoW awesome for me.

And some of the strongest essences right now are so easy to get. Vision, Worldvein, the new Breath of the Dying(even at rank1 it is fucking strong as a minor), Crucible and the Mechagone ones for each role are easy to get. Mythic+ one too, Focusing Iris.
    That's why I do M+ and heroic/mythic raids, to earn things through skillful play. Having to repeat mindless, boring grinds is trash design.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 22 110s, ranging from 425 ilevel to 457, 13 of which have their Wrathion cloak and all of which have at least 4-5 essences.

But please, tell me again how only the people with no alts are the only ones rebutting this lazy and entitled argument.
    I have 8 characters with basically full R3s, and I still think they should be account wide for all the people who want to do fun content on multiple characters but don't have the 20-30 hours per character to repeat the grinds they already did on their "main".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I suspect Blizzard cares what players want... because players themselves can't even work out what they think

Sure - a diet high in sugar tastes good... but it ain't going to be good for you
    True, a fun game where you do the content you enjoy and it gives you everything you need for that content would be horrible, we need to add stupid chores that you need to repeat on every character instead.

- - - Updated - - -

And I could widely assume that gamers would benefit from spending less time crying on forums every time a video game hurts their widdle entitled feelings.

Furthermore I don't need to make a good case for my 'argument' because I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else. It isn't hard to get essences, even some of the good ones, and it doesn't take a carefully construed argument to make that any more or less true.

What kind of player I am is irrelevant. The most casual-do of casual-do's could get through a +4 for focusing iris/anima, or spend an hour opening up the 3 essences in Mechagon, or do the intro stuff for N'zoth assaults and quickly get a couple solid essences that way.

But nope, y'all would rather sit on the echo-chamber that is this forum looking for anger-validation that your mage's essences should be available to your rogue or your paladin or whatever, for no other reason than 'but I don't wanna!!!'

Its entitlement, plain and simple. And as these forums prove on a regular basis, there's no arguing with angry, over-entitled people.
    Why do people keep repeating this garbage? None of the R3s are hard to get. They're extremely time consuming, however, and that time is typically spent on extremely boring, repetitive content. If it was about difficulty, you'd have the ability to skip straight to R3 through difficulty/skill and problem solved.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

imagine defending current essence system xd can only have an awful boring real life if you actually enjoy doing some time gated repetitive for 370 ilvl scaled content every day for a month.

not even classic rep farms are this bad because you can do them at your own pace and dont have to do daily garbage which is btw because of MAU same as why you get rewarded and daily quests in every braindead mobile game.

so i started with patch 8.3 again after years and now i have to wait 3resets for my conflict r3? wow such skills amazing

You need only 4 as there are only 4 slots. If you are wanting to go for more then you are starting to hit min/max territory and even then most specs only swap out one essence for another. You might be thinking more than 4 per some class, but again different territory.

Rank 3 is something entirely different and isn't the subject of the conversation as only Rank 1's are. Even then you only need 4 and not all.
    Obviously. That's what matters. And of course there's multiple specs per class, so that's more essences you need to be relevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jiih View Post
    imagine defending current essence system xd can only have an awful boring real life if you actually enjoy doing some time gated repetitive for 370 ilvl scaled content every day for a month.

not even classic rep farms are this bad because you can do them at your own pace and dont have to do daily garbage which is btw because of MAU same as why you get rewarded and daily quests in every braindead mobile game.

so i started with patch 8.3 again after years and now i have to wait 3resets for my conflict r3? wow such skills amazing
    There being no way to skip straight to R3/4 through skill/difficult content is honestly absurd. It's such an obvious "fix" if they refuse to make them account wide.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2020-02-02 at 09:29 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

and the "we don't give power account wide" argument is complete bullshit because they did it this expansion with the +15 neck level stuff from CoA.
    Some power is always included in catch-up mechanisms, but not all the power. As I said, I would be fine granting 1s or even 2s, but not 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Some power is always included in catch-up mechanisms, but not all the power. As I said, I would be fine granting 1s or even 2s, but not 3s.
    Would need to change the unlock requirement for R3 after skipping to R1/2 if you only make the lower ranks account wide, because otherwise the skip to R1/2 is completely pointless. Like skipping to R2 BotE is pointless if I still need 30k honor for R3.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I'm legit curious how some of you even functioned in vanilla/BC etc, back when literally EVERYTHING was done per character.
    People quit in vanilla all the time at leveling the first character or short after max-level. The answer is that they didn't and just quit the game, the most casual MMO of its time.

The most impressive thing about Retail WoW is, that players basicly not fit to play the game are able to play regularly and they don't even recognize the training wheels implemented to create this illusion. The people, the community never changed, people don't change, but the game opened for the far-side of casual players and now we get this beautiful topics with ridiculous demands.
    -

Obviously. That's what matters. And of course there's multiple specs per class, so that's more essences you need to be relevant.
    Again, that's a different topic entirely. To perform any spec you only need 4. Some specs might prefer 1 more for ST/AoE, but even then it's small. If you want to play multiple specs then you should be required to put in a little bit of effort since majority of your gear already swaps.

There being no way to skip straight to R3/4 through skill/difficult content is honestly absurd. It's such an obvious "fix" if they refuse to make them account wide.
    You shouldn't be able to skip ranks though? If anything make the cosmetic one account wide but you still need to work on the others. It's not hard to ask people to put in effort to get stuff for their toons and alts.

Except they make tons of changes based on player feedback, but people conveniently ignore that when the change they want doesn't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much this.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it isn't difficult at all to get most rank 1 essences, that's why. I'm legit curious how some of you even functioned in vanilla/BC etc, back when literally EVERYTHING was done per character.
    It’s not a difficulty issue, it’s a TIME issue.

It’s unbelievable how after 15 years nolifers cannot understand that there are GOOD players that simply don’t have ENDLESS TIME to play so everything that avoids doing the same thing 800 times is more than welcome.

Again, that's a different topic entirely. To perform any spec you only need 4. Some specs might prefer 1 more for ST/AoE, but even then it's small. If you want to play multiple specs then you should be required to put in a little bit of effort since majority of your gear already swaps.

You shouldn't be able to skip ranks though? If anything make the cosmetic one account wide but you still need to work on the others. It's not hard to ask people to put in effort to get stuff for their toons and alts.
    I disagree entirely. And my biggest issue, which it seemed like was going to be fixed on PTR, has always been that essences are only a question of time spent. On PTR it looked like getting R4 let you skip all previous ranks, meaning there was the potential to allow you to spend less time getting each essence by doing something more difficult (at least in concept, in practice most R4s are just "grind the same shit content for even longer"). Thats a great solution, but Blizzard decided in favor of repetitive, braindead, sometimes timegated grinds instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    It’s not a difficulty issue, it’s a TIME issue.

It’s unbelievable how after 15 years nolifers cannot understand that there are GOOD players that simply don’t have ENDLESS TIME to play so everything that avoids doing the same thing 800 times is more than welcome.
    This. There should be ways to massively speed up acquisition through skill/difficulty (as in do something hard and immediately get R3). Gear sort of works this way(if we ignore WF/TF/Corruption), why shouldn't essences? Current essences (ignoring some of the cosmetic R4s) are purely a question of throwing time at them, not skill.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I disagree entirely. And my biggest issue, which it seemed like was going to be fixed on PTR, has always been that essences are only a question of time spent. On PTR it looked like getting R4 let you skip all previous ranks, meaning there was the potential to allow you to spend less time getting each essence by doing something more difficult (at least in concept, in practice most R4s are just "grind the same shit content for even longer"). Thats a great solution, but Blizzard decided in favor of repetitive, braindead, sometimes timegated grinds instead.
    That's fine to disagree, but part of the problem is not understanding why they aren't doing it. Asking essences to be account bound in some fashion (other than cosmetic Rank 4) is similar to asking all your alts be as geared as your main at all times. You are wanting to share your power from your main to your alts which would be the same thing as giving them your same gear. People have issues with the gear part, but not the essences which makes no sense.

Making them account bound is definitely not the answer, except again the cosmetic rank since it is no gain. A solution that would work is reducing the amount of time by 1/4 to 1/2 of what it is, ie you need 30k HK's make it 15k - 22.5k instead.

This. There should be ways to massively speed up acquisition through skill/difficulty (as in do something hard and immediately get R3). Gear sort of works this way(if we ignore WF/TF/Corruption), why shouldn't essences?
    Which is it? Make it account bound or speed it up? You can't argue both ways and flip flop based on responses.

Current essences (ignoring some of the cosmetic R4s) are purely a question of throwing time at them, not skill.
    How is that different than gear?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    When i made a post about this during 8.3 ptr i got the following replies:

- omg char progression cant be accountwide
    - omg all my "hard" work is given away to newbs
    - you should work for your essences and play the game
    - i did the hard work and spend x many hours and so do you
    - essences arent required for any content they are merely a small bonus
    - none of the essences take time to be gained

So, i do believe now after my well intended post back then, no essences shouldnt be baseline with than upgrades to rank 2 or 3 or even reduced costs for all essences (not only the rep ones)

/sarcasm off

They should have been baseline or made a better catch up mechanic for essences with 8.3 release.