Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are the orcs supposed to be nordic?

Just watched this video

And a lot of the things there really made me think of orcs in Warcraft.

Like Victory or Death and the worship of their ancestors. I think in that video the concept of orcish honor is being perfectly described.

No offense but I'm not watching an 18 minute video.

But the concepts you list are pretty generic across human history / cultures
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

Quote Originally Posted by Linuriel View Post
    Just watched this video

Like Victory or Death and the worship of their ancestors. I think in that video the concept of orcish honor is being perfectly described.
    The word "horde" is the bastardized version of Turkic/Turkish word "ordu", which literally means army. In the old Turkish states, the "army" also referred to the central authority. Different from today's political system, the army and the government/state was one and the same in Turkish states of old. This was probably inherited from Huns.

I am not sure about the "Victory or Death" part, but ancestral worship was a thing among Turkic religion called "Tengrism". This whole raiding and glorification of war fits quite nicely to Turkic military tradition. The bravery and showing utter most respect to "willingness to participate in wars" also fits quite nicely to old Central Asiatic tradition which was probably common among Mongolians, Turks and Huns. I would say the Horde is more Central Asiatic rather than Nordic.

Also, the military doctrine of the Horde is along the lines of "nation as the army", where very newborn is considered as a soldier. This also fits quite nicely to Central Asiatic military doctrine/cultures (of old).
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2020-02-02 at 11:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me not that kind of orc!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by jstnw89 View Post
    No, not at all. In Medieval Europe, the war was for the nobility. This was a fundamental difference between Central Asian military doctrine, which dictates war is for all, not just nobility. There are lots of difference in mentality and doctrine. If you think things are the same, you got a bit of reading to make.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2020-02-02 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jstnw89 View Post
    No offense but I'm not watching an 18 minute video.

You should, it's very inspiring.

As Kuntantee said, the orcs are mainly a fantasized version of medieval Euroasiatic steppe-nomads such as turks, mongols, huns, polovtsy, tartars etc.

In the older warcraft games the orcs combined elements of nordic savagery (including horned helmets...), but over time that influence has diminished.

Tbh the orcs are just mongols riding wolves instead of horses, who never really figured out just how amazingly better off they'd be if they started using bows instead of axes.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
    As Kuntantee said, the orcs are mainly a fantasized version of medieval Euroasiatic steppe-nomads such as turks, mongols, huns, polovtsy, tartars etc.

In the older warcraft games the orcs combined elements of nordic savagery (including horned helmets...), but over time that influence has diminished.

Tbh the orcs are just mongols riding wolves instead of horses, who never really figured out just how amazingly better off they'd be if they started using bows instead of axes.
    Archery requires balance and discipline you can't find in a horde of barbarians. "Me smash" is the epitome of military theory they could possibly achieve.

They used to be mongolian, but now its some kind of californian feelgood culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Archery requires balance and discipline you can't find in a horde of barbarians. "Me smash" is the epitome of military theory they could possibly achieve.
    "Me smash" is probably the "Nordic" part. Central Asian nomads were excellent horse riders and marksman. In fact, they were the best.

Again, Horde is an amalgamation of bunch of different "barbaric" cultures all around the world. However, the core is Central Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    No, not at all. In Medieval Europe, the war was for the nobility. This was a fundamental difference between Central Asian military doctrine, which dictates war is for all, not just nobility. There are lots of difference in mentality and doctrine. If you think things are the same, you got a bit of reading to make.
    I think you misunderstand. I was not commenting on the inspiration for Orcs or the Horde. The OP posed the question and gave very generic qualities that they linked to Nordic culture - "honor", "victory or death", and "worshipping ancestors". These are generic and can be found across humankind at varying points in history
    Last edited by jstnw89; 2020-02-02 at 12:04 PM.
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

Just watched this video

That YouTube channel + comment section look pretty suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    That YouTube channel + comment section look pretty suspicious.
    Do you disagree with anything he is saying?

That video claims that the nobility and fearlessness of the ancient Europeans was based on the higher (religious) principle of love (8:20). Does that really sound like the orcish Horde?

Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    That video claims that the nobility and fearlessness of the ancient Europeans was based on the higher (religious) principle of love (8:20). Does that really sound like the orcish Horde?
    Protect your family?

https://youtu.be/4kEWHO6ycUg?t=40

Do you disagree with anything he is saying?
    I sure as hell didn't watch the 18 mins of jerking off barbarians but I sure as hell disagree with a lot of the nazi imagery on the channel (one of the thumbnails of his videos is literally a nazi painting called "The Aryan Family" - go look it up). Take from that what you will.

Me not that kind of nordcuck

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they aren't. And I don't think you should be asking if Warcraft universe orcs are based on any culture in particular since Warcraft universe orcs as a concept take leads from LotR universe orcs and Warhammer universe orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    I sure as hell didn't watch the 18 mins of jerking off barbarians but I sure as hell disagree with a lot of the nazi imagery on the channel (one of the thumbnails of his videos is literally a nazi painting called "The Aryan Family" - go look it up). Take from that what you will.
    So is there anything he is saying that you are disagreeing with?

"Protect your family" is hardly the inspiration for the orcish Horde, despite the idealized Frostwolf Clan. In the World of Warcraft, there are without a doubt more ancient European ethics and cultural elements among vrykul, humans and dwarves than among orcs.

How watching a youtube propaganda video with clear Thule Society vibes makes you think of Warcraft orcs is a mystery to me.