Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dien-Ap-Sten View Post
    No, they aren't. And I don't think you should be asking if Warcraft universe orcs are based on any culture in particular since Warcraft universe orcs as a concept take leads from LotR universe orcs and Warhammer universe orcs.
    Orcs in the LOTR universe are abominations, a mockery of life. They don't know honor. They are purely evil creatures created for evil purposes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    "Protect your family" is hardly the inspiration for the orcish Horde, despite the idealized Frostwolf Clan. In the World of Warcraft, there are without a doubt more ancient European ethics and cultural elements among vrykul, humans and dwarves than among orcs.

How watching a youtube propaganda video with clear Thule Society vibes makes you think of Warcraft orcs is a mystery to me.
    Great. When presented with evidence, you simply deny it exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linuriel View Post
    Just watched this video

And a lot of the things there really made me think of orcs in Warcraft.

Like Victory or Death and the worship of their ancestors. I think in that video the concept of orcish honor is being perfectly described.
    What you list has been seen among humans across history, not just the nordic.

You already have nordic connections in the Vrykul.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Great. When presented with evidence, you simply deny it exists.
    ?

How did you get that from my post?

So you still think that Love as a higher religious principle is the defining trait of the Orcish Horde? Because that's the defining element of ancient northern European culture according to that video. I don't ignore "evidence". I disagree with and am surprised by your associations.

?

How did you get that from my post?

So you still think that Love as a higher religious principle is the defining trait of the Orcish Horde? Because that's the defining element of ancient northern European culture according to that video. I don't ignore "evidence". I disagree with and am surprised by your associations.
    I just showed you an example of an orc sacrificing himself to save his family and tribe, and advising his brother to protect them when he is gone. Did you even watch the video?

I just showed you an example of an orc sacrificing himself to save his family and tribe, and advising his brother to protect them when he is gone. Did you even watch the video?
    Yes, Linuriel. Hence my statement: " "Protect your family" is hardly the inspiration for the orcish Horde, despite the idealized Frostwolf Clan. "
    I acknowledge readily that the Frostwolf Clan orcs in your video fit the tone of the Aryan pride video you linked. I still believe however, due to overwhelming evidence in the games, that neither "Love is the highest principle" nor "Protect your family" can be considered as defining the orcish Horde.

10+ Year Old Account
    The real question is what makes you think this is a trait unique to ancient Nordic culture.

Yes, Linuriel. Hence my statement: " "Protect your family" is hardly the inspiration for the orcish Horde, despite the idealized Frostwolf Clan. "
    I never even said Horde. Read the title. It says "orcs". And the "Horde" only came into being when the demons corrupted the orcs.

Seriously go read up on some lore, there is no denying that uncorrupted orcs love their families, and believe in love, self-sacrifice and honor.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not even from Nordic countries and I feel offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    The real question is what makes you think this is a trait unique to ancient Nordic culture.
    Watch the video.

So is there anything he is saying that you are disagreeing with?
    I'm disagreeing with his usage of nazi imagery, the blood and soil bullshit it evokes and the fascist fetishization of "warriors" and death. I'm also disagreeing with you posting nazi propaganda on WoW forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watch the video.
    As many have already said, it's a general practice. Rituals to honor ancestors exist in almost every culture, and none of us would be here without our ancestors' sacrifices.

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    As many have already said, it's a general practice. Rituals to honor ancestors exist in almost every culture, and none of us would be here without our ancestors' sacrifices.
    But dude...nordic

Watch the video.
    You repeat the main problem with the video.

The video claims that "love to overcome fear", honor and "protect the family/nation" are defining attributes of ancient northern European culture, instead of ideals all of humanity shares. (That's what makes it an aryan propaganda video, by the way.) Nobody is saying that the ancient Nordic peoples didn't value self-sacrifice, honor and love. A reasonable person just has to admit that Chinese or native American or Congolese or whatever humans also value self-sacrifice, honor and love.

You claim that "love to overcome fear", honor and "protect the family" are defining attributes of orcish culture in the Warcraft universe, instead of ideals most sentient races share. I never said orcs don't value self-sacrifice, honor and love. I just said that those aren't defining traits of orcs. Humans, vrykul, dwarves, elves, tauren etc. etc. also value family, honor, love and self-sacrifice. They are nearly universal ideals, not just orcish ones.

This is the intellectual error you make. And it is the manipulative trait of the video that makes it Aryan propaganda. Don't fall for it. Be inspired by courage and love and all that, but don't fall for the lie that these values are exclusively "Nordic" instead of simply human.

Quote Originally Posted by monkaTOS View Post
    The Warcraft Orcs are just ripped off greenskin concepts from unmade Warhammer game.
    What you're llsting are pretty general concepts accross human history and especially literature.
    I'm sure over the years the WoW writers have generously "borrowed" all kinds of generic material and ideas.
    Everything is ripped off something else. WH didn't even invent orcs as a concept, they were borrowed from Tolkien, who in turn borrowed them from old myths. Everything is borrowed, no need to pretend everything today isn't taken or derived from some other source, thousands of years of ideas built to where we are today xD

10+ Year Old Account
    I always got a Mongol/Hunnic vibe from the Orcs but that was just the way I saw it.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
    As Kuntantee said, the orcs are mainly a fantasized version of medieval Euroasiatic steppe-nomads such as turks, mongols, huns, polovtsy, tartars etc.

In the older warcraft games the orcs combined elements of nordic savagery (including horned helmets...), but over time that influence has diminished.

Tbh the orcs are just mongols riding wolves instead of horses, who never really figured out just how amazingly better off they'd be if they started using bows instead of axes.
    Nordic people never used horned helmets. Gonna guess you know nothing about nordic "savagery" beyond some bullshit hollywood tropes either. Read a book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    They're supposed to be Mongolian-ish with shoehorned generic American ideas of 'honor' thrown in that they don't actually adhere to.

Orcs are a mix of many barbaric civilisations. Just like elves are mix of Roman Empire, baroque France and our high tech west.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
    In the older warcraft games the orcs combined elements of nordic savagery (including horned helmets...), but over time that influence has diminished.
    Which vikings wore horned helmets?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekkis View Post
    Which vikings wore horned helmets?
    This one