Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What would happen to all the classic servers if TBC came?

Would they merge servers? And how would Blizzard handle the initial hype for TBC?

10+ Year Old Account
    new client obviously, and maybe they would simply merge realms like on live.

I'd imagine it would be new servers and youd have an option to copy your character over. This would split the playerbase and they would have to do something about all the classic servers losing a ton of ppl. It would completely cripple them imo.

They would add new BC servers and the people who prefer to play bc would play on those. Ideally Blizzard would offer free character migrations from vanilla to BC, but given the state of the company I highly doubt it. They already have the tech to merge low pop servers without making people name change, when necessary they can do so with classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If TBC came, I'm sure they'd all get pregnant.

Edit: but seriously, I can't see Blizzard having Classic servers and TBC servers and then WOLK servers, so I don't know.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    1 char free per account would be the smart move in terms of not being too obvious.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

3+ Year Old Account
    I think most servers will naturally progress to TBC, while some other stay Classic forever for those Vanilla fanatics. Of course with free transfers in the initial phase.

New servers to avoid the purist cries.
    Remains to be seen if purists want dead servers or connect all classic realms in a single one or a few.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would imagine a lot of people would move over to TBC servers exclusively, and a large population of people would remain in Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    new client obviously, and maybe they would simply merge realms like on live.
    A new client wouldn't be needed. Classic is built from the Legion client of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    New servers to avoid the purist cries.
    Remains to be seen if purists want dead servers or connect all classic realms in a single one or a few.
    This is pretty likely. As with everything classic related, Blizzard cannot win. No matter how they do it, there will be tears and screams of "if blizzard do this, i will sue them and they will all go to JAIL!"

I think the "best" way to do it is to have some kind of opt in / toggle.

- Duplicate all realms, allowing any character to be copied over once
    - Duplicate all realms, allowing any character to be moved over once
    - Create NEW BC realms (same 2 options as above)

I see those as being the most likely outcomes. Like i said though, no matter what, the classic community will scream and cry about blizzard killing the game etc.

Two kinds of servers (well 6, counting PvP, PvE and RP).

One kind with fresh start for all, no copying or moving, everyone starts at 1 and levels to 70.
    Then one where we get to copy over our characters (not only one, but all), so we can start the leveling from 60 with the gear we've farmed.

These NEEDS to be seperate, as the second option would have way too much of a headstart, "forcing" everyone to copy and not start over.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

What they should do is allow you to copy your classic character over to the TBC servers but allow people to also play on Classic still.

I guess releasing TBC on current servers could work too but that would be unfortunate for the people who only want to play Classic.

My guess is that they're never going to do it. I'm presuming that's why they announced at BlizzCon that they're going to allow people to level the way they want to by picking one expansion, so you could level all the way through BC for example as if it was new. I think that's their way around needing new expansion "classic" servers. The only reason they really redid vanilla was because that content had been completely removed from the game.

They'd add BC servers with the option of copying your Classic characters. Win/Win

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The most logical solution would be to merge classic servers into however many is needed and just keep them going as their own separate entity. It would be dumb to just slap TBC onto existing servers as there would be some pretty loud autistic screeching, so my guess is they would steer away from that direction.

Having TBC servers start from scratch would be absolutely retarded IMO (meaning everybody starts at level 1), as would allowing people to copy a boatload of characters with no restrictions over. The best solution would be to allow you to copy each character a single time, and probably have limits on how much liquid gold you can bring over (what that would be, if it would even be necessary is entirely up to them).

One of the true tests of classic longevity is going to be what happens a few months after Naxxaramas releases. From what I've heard on private servers, a lot of people check out around this time, and I have no reason to believe this wouldn't be the case on the live ones. I've been part of every single expansion ending, and the biggest turnover rates usually happen right after raid progression ends, or shortly after an expansion launch.

When PvP came out, PvP servers basically stopped existing, because they only have one faction left now.
    So would be interesting to see if merges would lead to the next apocalypse.

But the BC servers should definitely be their own separate thing with premades and the ability to copy over your character with limited bagspace and gold maybe.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    The most logical solution would be to merge classic servers into however many is needed and just keep them going as their own separate entity. It would be dumb to just slap TBC onto existing servers as there would be some pretty loud autistic screeching, so my guess is they would steer away from that direction.

Having TBC servers start from scratch would be absolutely retarded IMO (meaning everybody starts at level 1), as would allowing people to copy a boatload of characters with no restrictions over. The best solution would be to allow you to copy each character a single time, and probably have limits on how much liquid gold you can bring over (what that would be, if it would even be necessary is entirely up to them).

One of the true tests of classic longevity is going to be what happens a few months after Naxxaramas releases. From what I've heard on private servers, a lot of people check out around this time, and I have no reason to believe this wouldn't be the case on the live ones. I've been part of every single expansion ending, and the biggest turnover rates usually happen right after raid progression ends, or shortly after an expansion launch.
    Copy? No, if anything they should make it into moving the character.

As to what happens after the last piece of content, it's obvious ... slow death happens. As soon as people reach their goals and have nothing to look forward to, that's it, they'll just call game over. And that is true for any expansion. Some people may stick around for a little longer and maybe to it all over on an alt, but I doubt many will.

Pre-TBC patch realms are opened, which will become TBC realms, and everyone will have free transfers to them.
    Old "Classic" realms will stay as they are, without the Pre-TBC patch applied.
    New "Classic" realms will open for people who wich to start a new adventure. (maybe)

That would be my guess on how they would (imo. should) do it, but they could also go the completely alternative route and make "Classic+" where they make brand new content which might be based on what was in the plans back in 2006.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    What they should do is allow you to copy your classic character over to the TBC servers but allow people to also play on Classic still.

I guess releasing TBC on current servers could work too but that would be unfortunate for the people who only want to play Classic.
    I could see the opposite. Move all servers to TBC and provide an option for you to migrate your characters over to a classic realm at purchase of TBC, if you so wish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    Two kinds of servers (well 6, counting PvP, PvE and RP).

One kind with fresh start for all, no copying or moving, everyone starts at 1 and levels to 70.
    Then one where we get to copy over our characters (not only one, but all), so we can start the leveling from 60 with the gear we've farmed.

These NEEDS to be seperate, as the second option would have way too much of a headstart, "forcing" everyone to copy and not start over.
    Was it separate at launch of TBC? NOPE, if you picked up then you were behind. The headstart is only a problem to those who did not subscribe. Blizzard has a track record of rewarding those who play the game.