Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Only a divorce (and thus freeing lots of personal time) could bring me back into WoW (classic, not retail). But that is not going to happen anytime soon, so...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    You realize the only way this could happen would be if Kotick sold Blizzard to (say) Tencent.
    You also realize that Kotick let Bungie go independent.

Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    You also realize that Kotick let Bungie go independent.
    ATVI never owned Bungee.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    But that only works if your only goal is to get equip not to do the content. If i am just a collector. Then yes. But then it would be easier to just hang one addon back. Do Legion when BfA is current.
    If you want to raid for example what does it give you to just join the last patch? That is like intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. I raid because i want to raid. I want to get gear because it does what i do easier. But i do not raid because i want to get better gear.

Also: Back in BC where you had to do exactly this. First raid first. You had huuuuge problems getting people for your group in the end because many did not have the gear or the attunments. So you raided BT and once ore twice a week older raids for the newcomers. Everyone was annoyed as hell.
    The problem with TBC was that every single individual character was subject to raid and dungeon attunements. Even if a player was fluent in each dungeon or raid mechanic, they still had to go do every single step, and have the entire raid go with them. But what if those same attunements were all account wide? A skilled player who's familiar with an encounter could jump right in, even if they were a little bit undergeared.

Now throw on top of that if something like AP or Essences were also account wide? Suddenly the problems that TBC had seem largely mitigated.

I don't know if that's exactly how to solve things, but it seems like a good place to start.

1) Kill Sylvanas. Permanently.
    2) Alliance gets Silver Covenant as an allied race. Stop telling us there aren't enough. They're fucking EVERYWHERE in EVERY warfront ALL over the goddamned place. It's a farce.

#1 is super unlikely and #2 is a hundred times more unlikely, sooo...nothing, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    The problem with TBC was that every single individual character was subject to raid and dungeon attunements. Even if a player was fluent in each dungeon or raid mechanic, they still had to go do every single step, and have the entire raid go with them. But what if those same attunements were all account wide? A skilled player who's familiar with an encounter could jump right in, even if they were a little bit undergeared.

Now throw on top of that if something like AP or Essences were also account wide? Suddenly the problems that TBC had seem largely mitigated.

I don't know if that's exactly how to solve things, but it seems like a good place to start.
    I don't agree with making AP account wide. Essences yes. Ap is trivial anyway. My point here was more about the gearing problem. because back then someone with Kara equip could not go BT no matter how good. Unless he got pulled through which is always possible. But you can do that with just a few

7+ Year Old Account
    For the first time in close to 15yrs, there's nothing I think Blizz could do to bring me back to WoW. I used to defend them until I was blue in the face but ya. There's nothing. And that makes me surprisingly sad... in my mid-30s and I'm sad about a company completely just... threw a bale of hay on the camels back.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I don't agree with making AP account wide. Essences yes. Ap is trivial anyway. My point here was more about the gearing problem. because back then someone with Kara equip could not go BT no matter how good. Unless he got pulled through which is always possible. But you can do that with just a few
    Well, back in TBC gear was the only source of character power progression at level cap. But in modern wow we do have other systems such as AP and essences(account wide or not) to supplement.

So theoretically it should be possible to have some systems like AP or essences to have account wide progression without throwing the entire power curve back to the problems of TBC. It just takes adjusting the progression and power curves of each system relative to each other so that players have something significant to sink their teeth into over the long term, but won't be completely left behind if they start a fresh character, or come into the expansion late.

Saying it like that makes it sound easy, but of course it isn't. And that's compounded by the playerbase being trained to expect full power resets each patch. That's something that also badly needs to be addressed.

To get me to return to retail. I am unsure exactly what it would take to get me to return at this point.

BFA has proven to completely lose my interest.

Shadowlands, even watching the trailer for it made me groan.

Doubt I will even play that expansion unless something so cool and groundbreaking makes me activate my retail account.

People stop quoting the same thing all the time. That.

Blizzard growing some balls and getting out from under Activision's heel and start being the company of passionate nerds that made them great in the 90's and early 00's. Design the game for the various playerbase. Stop yearly expac's and if the game is to continue being a sub game just get rid of expacs in general and just work on a more steady natural flow of content. Listen to the community when there are actually problems and fix them instead of ignoring them but still have some spine when it comes to design so that we don't end up with half finished and untested crap.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    a good game pretty simple

Quote Originally Posted by Dapower View Post
    They have nothing interessting in wow for me anymore. I was a fan of lore and writing, of landscapes and relevant raids. Now we just Dragonball stereoid squads, I dont understand how the player has to be always the most powerful, we all loved vanilla tbc wotlk because we felt small compared to their big ungoing wars and situations.
    The problem with this mentality is it would be equally shit, or worse, writing doing it the way you propose. Don't get me wrong, their lore is filled with asinine decisions that make my jaw drop all the time. And no, the player character does not need to be the most powerful. But if you're a 'foot soldier' who was responsible for: Killing Ragnaros (Twice), C'thun, Archimond, the fucking Scourge King Arthas, Corrupted Aspects/Dragons, Yogg'Saron, liberating (or conquering) a capital, beating back the Burning Legion and etc, it doesn't matter that you were 'in a squad' or army. Each person in that squad would be a small celebrity. The ones in those squads who had the portfolio of all those accomplishments? Oof, they'd likely be regarded as Warchief or some sort of rule that supersedes it if only to not waste their time sitting at home, or some sort of division akin to Shaw. Absolutely you would be heralded as the equivalent of some sort of Superman. To not be would make no sense and ignore all social perceptions.

So yeah. Hero doesn't necessarily require Ashbringer or Aluneth or literally having the power of the planet dangling around their neck but the feeling small stuff is narratively over. And it isn't even entirely their fault. People wanted to fight the Burning Legion in WoW. People requested Arthas constantly. People wanted an Old God expansion (... Doesn't feel like it panned out, but they at least TRIED to give people the theme), and people have been going on about the Shadowlands for at least half a decade or more. The playerbase, for better or worse, request these larger than life threats. Hell, people wanted to actually literally fight Sargeras. No irrelevant foot soldier is doing all of that. At this point the player character is so overqualified due to the needs of gameplay that if anything these 'major lore characters' are just jealous co-workers with barely any clout desperately sending you away from their posts in hope you don't supersede their jobs.

Not a particular feature, more of an attitude/direction/inte t thing.

Most important thing is a focus on minute to minute gameplay a d how the player actually interacts with the game world. It really doesn't matter what else they do, if the way I interact with the world, my rotation, isnt enjoyable, then I'm not going to bother. To me what that means is not having loads of abilities on my action bars that dont interact with one another. It means a few abilities that all do meaningful things, interact in meaningful ways and encourage me to make interesting decisions. There should also be a focus on rewarding g good play rather than punishing bad play.

The other part is that gear is far, far too complicated and the game does an absolutely abysmal job of explaining it. I'm not massively against Titanforging, the main thing that I dont like is that when you get a new piece of gear is that you really cant know if it is better without checking ot against every other piece of gear you own in a piece of 3rd party software. The game should be better at explaining itself. Atthe moment t the developers are far too reliant on the community and 3rd parties to do this work for them without remuneration. The default answer to any question shouldnt be to close the game and go check IcyVeins/YouTube/whatever. That basic level of information should be available in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing Blizzard can do, I am burned out, when I feel like coming back I will.

The last time I burned out was back during Firelands in Cata, and didn't return until late into MoP. So who know how long I'll be gone this time :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-02-06 at 08:25 PM.

A new class or return to pre-cata talents would do it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

• Linear questing that tells a story throughout the entire leveling experience, as in MoP and WoD.
    • Create more chill zones like Jade Forest/Valley of the Four Winds/Stormsong Valley where you meet the people of the land and their down to earth, mundane lives. Zones that actually make you care for the people of that society, zones you WANT to quest in.
    • Remove warforging/titanforging.
    • Remove world quests.
    • Remove timegating.
    • Bring back reputation hubs and reputation storylines, where you learned the lore of the faction and became intimately acquainted with their characters.
    • Reinstate valor point vendors (so people aren't getting screwed by bad RNG and have guaranteed progression).
    • Reinstate conquest point vendors.
    • Create raid class transmog sets again.
    • Bring back Jeremy Soule as a composer and have Russell Brower compose music for the actual game again, not cutscenes you only see once.
    • Create a story I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Reivur View Post
    The problem with this mentality is it would be equally shit, or worse, writing doing it the way you propose. Don't get me wrong, their lore is filled with asinine decisions that make my jaw drop all the time. And no, the player character does not need to be the most powerful. But if you're a 'foot soldier' who was responsible for: Killing Ragnaros (Twice), C'thun, Archimond, the fucking Scourge King Arthas, Corrupted Aspects/Dragons, Yogg'Saron, liberating (or conquering) a capital, beating back the Burning Legion and etc, it doesn't matter that you were 'in a squad' or army. Each person in that squad would be a small celebrity. The ones in those squads who had the portfolio of all those accomplishments? Oof, they'd likely be regarded as Warchief or some sort of rule that supersedes it if only to not waste their time sitting at home, or some sort of division akin to Shaw. Absolutely you would be heralded as the equivalent of some sort of Superman. To not be would make no sense and ignore all social perceptions.

So yeah. Hero doesn't necessarily require Ashbringer or Aluneth or literally having the power of the planet dangling around their neck but the feeling small stuff is narratively over. And it isn't even entirely their fault. People wanted to fight the Burning Legion in WoW. People requested Arthas constantly. People wanted an Old God expansion (... Doesn't feel like it panned out, but they at least TRIED to give people the theme), and people have been going on about the Shadowlands for at least half a decade or more. The playerbase, for better or worse, request these larger than life threats. Hell, people wanted to actually literally fight Sargeras. No irrelevant foot soldier is doing all of that. At this point the player character is so overqualified due to the needs of gameplay that if anything these 'major lore characters' are just jealous co-workers with barely any clout desperately sending you away from their posts in hope you don't supersede their jobs.
    We could always be written as soldiers to a greater lore related person. To a certain point it was like that and i kept playing, rag in firelands, Yogg, lich and so on, you are helping some more important person to achieve it, not just wielding it all on a charactar that is 15 y.o into creation, compared ro these ancient lores.

Into game design, it never interests me to play a mmo and be a champion and have no lore related decisions. It would be cool to have some. For example on a realm Anduin gets assasinated and players war on being the king, politically by reputations to exalted and gather votes, maybe then an equivalent could do the same and your decisions would matter on alliance's side of the realm. That's an expansion design theme for BFA, not what was delivered.

Plus, it now feels like "just a game", when I started it felt to be a bigger thing than just a game.

Classic brought me back for a while, but kinda bored of that now. Been there done that. But if Wow becomes like classic again, I would play it again. So... never.

Nothing. I am currently subbed but don't enjoy the direction WoW is going so, at the end of this progression cycle, I am out and will probably never re-sub again.