Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Wouldn´t his son be the choosen as he gets shit done even more then Paul and was alive and able to do his planning/breeding for over a few thousand years?
    You are correct i mixed up Paul and Leto there

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You are correct i mixed up Paul and Leto there
    Ah ok wasn´t shure that´s why i asked^^ .

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Wouldn´t his son be the choosen as he gets shit done even more then Paul and was alive and able to do his planning/breeding for over a few thousand years?
    Paul had the potential to do what Leto II did but in the end he balked at the cost.

Paul wasn't a chosen one per se, since he was unplanned. He was supposed to have been a daughter, who would then marry the son of his family's arch-rival (House Harkonnen) and THEN produce the ACTUAL chosen one, the Kwisatz Haderach. But his mother ignored orders and had a son instead, which upset plans millennia in the making and produced a "chosen one" a generation too early.

That being said, it doesn't much change the trope - he is still a human bred carefully to peak condition, and then honed by some of the finest trainers and educators in the universe. Him being ridiculously high-scoring in every respect is not a result of poor writing, it's baked into his character history by design. And he's far from a Mary Sue in the story - he wins against the Emperor in the first novel (and the Lynch movie), but that's about as successful as he gets. He spends the rest of his life trying desperately to avoid what he knows is coming, and fails at taking the ultimate steps necessary to avoid the future he dreads. The last part of his life is spent in blindness and despair bordering madness, and ends in a violent death.

If there is such a thing as a Mary Sue in the Dune series at all, it would be Duncan Idaho - someone who despite being a minor character originally just keeps coming back again and again throughout the series, and ultimately turns out to be the "true" chosen one, the "real" Kwisatz Haderach (though how much stock you put in the novels written after Frank Herbert's death is another matter). And even there it's a bit of a mislabel.

5+ Year Old Account
    Denis Villeneuve's Dune Movie Official Logo Revealed.

https://screenrant.com/dune-movie-of...e-warner-bros/
    BY DEVON FORWARD APR 13, 2020

Just revealed by WB, the full official Dune logo image is shown below. It was released along with the first Dune movie image, featuring Chalamet as Atreides. The Dune logo leaked earlier this year from the French Convention, and a fan made recreation circled on social media. The official logo looks similar to the leaked version, with a different background. Dune began filming back in March 2019, and has a set release date for December 18. It is being scored by Oscar-winning composer Hans Zimmer. Most of the cast have confirmed who they are playing, with Skarsgård as main antagonist Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, Ferguson as Lady Jessica, and Javier Bardem as Stilgar, to name a few.

Many people tried to adapt Dune before David Lynch's version in 1984, starring Kyle MacLachlan as Atreides. Lynch's film was not well received by critics or general moviegoers, but has since developed a cult following. Along with the upcoming film, a Dune graphic novel is coming out and a movie sequel is already being written. There is a Dune TV series in development at HBO Max, though it lost one of its showrunners back in November, with no update since. The HBO Max series, called Dune: The Sisterhood, originally had Jon Spaihts and Dana Calvo (Good Girls Revolt), but Spaihts departed.

This first look at the logo is great news for fans excited for the upcoming film. It confirms that Warner Bros. plans to keep Dune's set release date for later this year. That's very good for Warner Bros., whose other major releases, Wonder Woman 1984 and In The Heights, have been delayed due to the coronavirus. Director Villeneuve released a statement saying, "Dune was made by people from all over the world." and that he looks forward "to a time when we can all get together again as Dune was made to be seen on the big screen." Dune has been a major challenge for Villeneuve, and we can't wait to see his version of the classic story.

Behold Dune: An Exclusive Look at Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Oscar Isaac, and More.

Feuding royals. A deadly planet. Before Star Wars or Game of Thrones, there was Frank Herbert’s legendary sci-fi novel. Part two of V.F.’s report on Denis Villeneuve’s new movie.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ya-oscar-isaac
    BY ANTHONY BREZNICAN APRIL 14, 2020

Timothée Chalamet remembers the darkness. It was the summer of 2019, and the cast and crew of Dune had ventured deep into the sandstone and granite canyons of southern Jordan, leaving in the middle of the night so they could catch the dawn on camera. The light spilling over the chasms gave the landscape an otherworldly feel. It was what they had come for.

“It was really surreal,” says Chalamet. “There are these Goliath landscapes, which you may imagine existing on planets in our universe, but not on Earth.”

They weren’t on Earth anymore, anyway. They were on a deadly, dust-dry battleground planet called Arrakis. In Frank Herbert’s epic 1965 sci-fi novel, Arrakis is the only known location of the galaxy’s most vital resource, the mind-altering, time-and-space-warping “spice.” In the new film adaptation, directed by Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 filmmaker Denis Villeneuve, Chalamet stars as the young royal Paul Atreides, the proverbial stranger in a very strange land, who’s fighting to protect this hostile new home even as it threatens to destroy him. Humans are the aliens on Arrakis. The dominant species on that world are immense, voracious sandworms that burrow through the barren drifts like subterranean dragons.

For the infinite seas of sand that give the story its title, the production moved to remote regions outside Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates, where the temperatures rivaled the fiction in Herbert’s story. “I remember going out of my room at 2 a.m., and it being probably 100 degrees,” says Chalamet. During the shoot, he and the other actors were costumed in what the world of Dune calls “stillsuits”—thick, rubbery armor that preserves the body’s moisture, even gathering tiny bits from the breath exhaled through the nose. In the story, the suits are life-giving. In real life, they were agony. “The shooting temperature was sometimes 120 degrees,” says Chalamet. “They put a cap on it out there, if it gets too hot. I forget what the exact number is, but you can’t keep working.” The circumstances fed the story they were there to tell: “In a really grounded way, it was helpful to be in the stillsuits and to be at that level of exhaustion.”

It wouldn’t be Dune if it were easy. Herbert’s novel became a sci-fi touchstone in the 1960s, heralded for its world-building and ecological subtext, as well as its intricate (some say impenetrable) plot focusing on two families struggling for supremacy over Arrakis. The book created ripples that many see in everything from Star Wars to Alien to Game of Thrones. Still, for decades, the novel itself has defied adaptation. In the ’70s, the wild man experimental filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky mounted a quest to film it, but Hollywood considered the project too risky. David Lynch brought Dune to the big screen in a 1984 feature, but it was derided as an incomprehensible mess and a blight on his filmography. In 2000, a Dune miniseries on what’s now the SyFy channel became a hit for the cable network, but it is now only dimly remembered.

“I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie,” says Villeneuve. “The world is too complex. It’s a world that takes its power in details.”

Villeneuve intends to create a Dune that has so far only existed in the imagination of readers. The key, he says, was to break the sprawling narrative in half. When Dune hits theaters on December 18, it will only be half the novel, with Warner Bros. agreeing to tell the story in two films, similar to the studio’s approach with Stephen King’s It and It Chapter Two. “I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie,” says Villeneuve. “The world is too complex. It’s a world that takes its power in details.”

For Villeneuve, this 55-year-old story about a planet being mined to death was not merely a space adventure, but a prophecy. “No matter what you believe, Earth is changing, and we will have to adapt,” he says. “That’s why I think that Dune, this book, was written in the 20th century. It was a distant portrait of the reality of the oil and the capitalism and the exploitation—the overexploitation—of Earth. Today, things are just worse. It’s a coming-of-age story, but also a call for action for the youth.”

Chalamet’s character, Paul, thinks he’s just a boy struggling to find a place in the world, but he actually possesses the ability to change it. He has a supernatural gift to harness and unleash energy, lead others, and meld with the heart of his new home world. Paul comes from a powerful galactic family with a name that sounds like a constellation—the House Atreides. His father and mother, Duke Leto (played by Oscar Isaac) and Lady Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson), take their son from their lush, Scandinavian-like home world to preside over spice extraction on Arrakis. What follows is a clash with the criminal, politically connected House Harkonnen, led by the monstrous Baron Vladimir (Stellan Skarsgård), a mammoth with merciless appetites. The baron, created with full-body prosthetics, is like a rhino in human form. This version of the character is less of a madman and more of a predator. “As much as I deeply love the book, I felt that the baron was flirting very often with caricature,” says Villeneuve. “And I tried to bring him a bit more dimension. That’s why I brought in Stellan. Stellan has something in the eyes. You feel that there’s someone thinking, thinking, thinking—that has tension and is calculating inside, deep in the eyes. I can testify, it can be quite frightening.”

The director has also expanded the role of Paul’s mother, Lady Jessica. She’s a member of the Bene Gesserit, a sect of women who can read minds, control people with their voice (again, a precursor to the Jedi mind trick), and manipulate the balance of power in the universe. In the script, which Villeneuve wrote with Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts, she is even more fearsome than before. The studio’s plot synopsis describes her as a “warrior priestess.” As Villeneuve jokes, “It’s better than ‘space nun.’ ”

Lady Jessica’s duty is to deliver a savior to the universe—and now she has a greater role in defending and training Paul too. “She’s a mother, she’s a concubine, she’s a soldier,” says Ferguson. “Denis was very respectful of Frank’s work in the book, [but] the quality of the arcs for much of the women have been brought up to a new level. There were some shifts he did, and they are beautifully portrayed now.”

In an intriguing change to the source material, Villeneuve has also updated Dr. Liet Kynes, the leading ecologist on Arrakis and an independent power broker amid the various warring factions. Although always depicted as a white man, the character is now played by Sharon Duncan-Brewster (Rogue One), a black woman. “What Denis had stated to me was there was a lack of female characters in his cast, and he had always been very feminist, pro-women, and wanted to write the role for a woman,” Duncan-Brewster says. “This human being manages to basically keep the peace amongst many people. Women are very good at that, so why can’t Kynes be a woman? Why shouldn’t Kynes be a woman?”

As fans will know, there’s a vast menagerie of other characters populating Dune. There are humans called “mentats,” augmented with computerlike minds. Paul is mentored by two bravado warriors Duncan Idaho and Gurney Halleck, played by Jason Momoa and Josh Brolin. Dave Bautista plays a sinister Harkonnen enforcer Glossu Rabban, and Charlotte Rampling has a key role as the Bene Gesserit reverend mother. The list goes on. In the seemingly unlivable wilds of Arrakis, Javier Bardem leads the Fremen tribe as Stilgar, and Zendaya costars as a mystery woman named Chani, who haunts Paul in his dreams as a vision with glowing blue eyes.

The breadth of Dune is what has made it so confounding for others to adapt. “It’s a book that tackles politics, religion, ecology, spirituality—and with a lot of characters,” says Villeneuve. “I think that’s why it’s so difficult. Honestly, it’s by far the most difficult thing I’ve done in my life.” After finishing this first movie, he’ll just have to do it all over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paul Atreides having the capacity to harness and unleash energy... What does that mean? Is it figurative or for real? Because I didn't really like Paul the Rainbringer in Lynch's movie.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Paul Atreides having the capacity to harness and unleash energy... What does that mean? Is it figurative or for real? Because I didn't really like Paul the Rainbringer in Lynch's movie.
    Paul wasn't Son Goku in the original novel. His "superpowers" were primarily intellectual: precognition and access to the genetic knowledge of his line, not shooting fireballs out of his hands.

He was, however, also trained in various ways of combat to the utmost extreme, including both traditional fighting and the Prana-Bindu muscle/nerve conditioning of the Bene Gesserit. As a result, he was able to fight at just about the peak condition a human body could achieve, but he wasn't a superman. There were fighters who if not defeated him, then at least gave him a fight (like e.g. Feyd-Rautha).

Said training also included honing of his intellectual skills, making him a highly skilled observer and analyst, able to deduce hidden motives from tiny tells. His supreme muscular control and knowledge also allowed him to modulate his voice in ways that could help influence others; not quite Jedi Mind Trick, but basically an advanced form of subliminal messaging and psychology.

The Fremen, superstitious mystics that they are, often liked to PORTRAY all that as superhuman ability (the "weirding way"). But Paul was really just a male Bene Gesserit - many of the "tricks" he could do he had learned from them. The only thing he could do that they could not was to look into his male past (the Bene Gesserit only have access to the female line of their descent), and, of course, to look into the future.

I really hope they don't turn him into Captain America, punching sandworms across the desert.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I really hope they don't turn him into Captain America, punching sandworms across the desert.
    Sounds like a good Hishe episode

Paul wasn't Son Goku in the original novel. His "superpowers" were primarily intellectual: precognition and access to the genetic knowledge of his line, not shooting fireballs out of his hands.

He was, however, also trained in various ways of combat to the utmost extreme, including both traditional fighting and the Prana-Bindu muscle/nerve conditioning of the Bene Gesserit. As a result, he was able to fight at just about the peak condition a human body could achieve, but he wasn't a superman. There were fighters who if not defeated him, then at least gave him a fight (like e.g. Feyd-Rautha).

Said training also included honing of his intellectual skills, making him a highly skilled observer and analyst, able to deduce hidden motives from tiny tells. His supreme muscular control and knowledge also allowed him to modulate his voice in ways that could help influence others; not quite Jedi Mind Trick, but basically an advanced form of subliminal messaging and psychology.

The Fremen, superstitious mystics that they are, often liked to PORTRAY all that as superhuman ability (the "weirding way"). But Paul was really just a male Bene Gesserit - many of the "tricks" he could do he had learned from them. The only thing he could do that they could not was to look into his male past (the Bene Gesserit only have access to the female line of their descent), and, of course, to look into the future.

Plus wasn't he supposed to start Mentat training on top of that?

Wondering if it would be possible to cover the whole saga, in case which Jason Momoa might get very busy for a loooong time.
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2020-04-29 at 09:34 AM.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Plus wasn't he supposed to start Mentat training on top of that?
    He was, yes, and he was prepared for that training accordingly. But that, too, isn't superhuman ability per se - just special forms of mental conditioning. Certainly not mucking about with mystical energies or whatnot We can leave that sort of nonsense where it belongs - the Dune books not written by Frank Herbert himself.

5+ Year Old Account
    New picture, getting onboard an Ornithopter thingy, possible sandworm attack on a harvester?

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...clusive-image/

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    New picture, getting onboard an Ornithopter thingy, possible sandworm attack on a harvester?

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...clusive-image/

I'm assuming thats paul? in which case I don't think it would be an attack. I've been listening to the audio book lately and don't recall a part where a sandworm attacks and paul need to get in a ornithopter

It could be when paul meets back up with Duncan after the coup.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

The book has a passage where Paul and Leto inspect a sandcrawler, and have to evacuate the workers from a worm attack when their carry-all fails to show up.

But this looks so generic it could be anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    The book has a passage where Paul and Leto inspect a sandcrawler, and have to evacuate the workers from a worm attack when their carry-all fails to show up.

But this looks so generic it could be anything.
    Yeah but they never leave the ornithropter from what I remember. This could also just be a movie thing to make more action.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Yeah but they never leave the ornithropter from what I remember. This could also just be a movie thing to make more action.
    Honestly it really doesn't matter, it's such a minor thing they can do with it whatever they want.

Kynes being a woman is much more of an eyeroll moment than that.

Kynes being a woman is much more of an eyeroll moment than that.
    Not just a woman, but also black. And the decision was made only because there was a lack of diversity in the story.

Not really a biggie though as Kynes is a fairly minor character who isn't around long. Though he was Chani's father in the book. Wonder if she will be her mother in this one.

I think the big one is how they are going to handle Baron Harkonnen given he is the only gay in the story and a paedophile rapist on top of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gender/race swaps don't really matter to me. I think people get too hung up on it sometimes.

Kynes being black doesn't matter. Skin color was never an issue in Dune, really. Nobody cared about skin color.

But gender is HUGE in Dune. It's one of THE central concepts of the entire saga. You can't just flip that willy-nilly. And if you really want a better gender balance, there's twelve dozen characters where it would have worked better than Kynes.

But oh well, it's not going to make or break anything, it just shows how little they understand what's actually going on.

As for the Baron, they did reportedly say they wanted to make him less of a caricature, which is definitely welcome. He certainly did not come over well in the Lynch movie...

10+ Year Old Account
    Kynes being black doesn't matter. Skin color was never an issue in Dune, really. Nobody cared about skin color.

But gender is HUGE in Dune. It's one of THE central concepts of the entire saga. You can't just flip that willy-nilly. And if you really want a better gender balance, there's twelve dozen characters where it would have worked better than Kynes.

But oh well, it's not going to make or break anything, it just shows how little they understand what's actually going on.

As for the Baron, they did reportedly say they wanted to make him less of a caricature, which is definitely welcome. He certainly did not come over well in the Lynch movie...
    No it isn't. This is just you wanting it to be.

The ONLY thing gender is important for is for the Bene Gesserit
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2020-05-13 at 01:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Care to explain why you think that gender is a huge thing as it only seems to matter for a few factions over the entire timeline of the books, like Orange Joe states the Bene Gesserit.