Page 87 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I really don't care what others think. I like the show. The others can rot.
    Dude... Why quote two huge graphs, to add three short (pointless) sentences in reply?

MF's on this site need to learn to CROP THEIR SHIT.

On topic: Does anyone know when season 3 is back? Really enjoyed season 2, and I think the time/location change was a HUGE step in the right direction, for the franchise.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Dude... Why quote two huge graphs, to add three short (pointless) sentences in reply?

On topic: Does anyone know when season 3 is back? Really enjoyed season 2, and I think the time/location change was a HUGE step in the right direction, for the franchise.
    It's only been confirmed for 2020, but it is happening. Just likely somehwere that it doesn't overlap with Picard season 1 ending and season 2 begining.

10+ Year Old Account

You are right. Fixed. But they are not so useless, since some people seem to make it their life goal to prove to us that Star Trek (or Star Wars) is dying because some crappy youtuber said so, or because some "numbers" said so.

We don't know yet when the third season will begin. I agree with you. They now can do almost anything they want with the franchise. Even make Vulcans villains, or make the Bajorans rule over a huge empire. Or turn the Klingons into a refined people sipping tea in precious china... Everything can happen in a thousand years.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude you're using the figures of E4's airing of season 1 and 2... Anyone that gave a shit about the show had already watched it when it aired TWO YEARS AGO on Netflix.

That's like saying Simpsons is dying, because the repeats of season 10 airing on channel 4 aren't great.
    Yeah...same could be said about a 20 year old movie that completely kicked its ass in both showing...but here it is blowing it out of the water both times

Search results also speak for themselves, but I notice people ignore that...and all the evidence...I do this for a laugh because it's humorous to see people desperately handwave this stuff off.

- - - Updated - - -

If you guys really want to see season three then watch Andromeda, that is exactly where these hacks are ripping off the "plot" for season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Search results also speak for themselves
    Search results say that the google popularity for "star trek" over the past ~16 years peaked around the release of the 2009 movie. No shit.

That's literally all the y-axis of that website represents: relative popularity of the search. There's nothing to ignore, because anyone could have told you that would have been the result.

By this """""""logic""""""" The Force Awakens was the best Star Wars movie ever because its search peak is higher than that of The Revenge of the Sith.

Also by this """""""logic""""""" the last season of Game of Thrones was only slightly lower in quality than the previous, since its peak is nearly as high.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-02-06 at 02:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Search results say that the google popularity for "star trek" over the past ~16 years peaked around the release of the 2009 movie. No shit.

That's literally all the y-axis of that website represents: relative popularity of the search. There's nothing to ignore, because anyone could have told you that would have been the result.

By this """""""logic""""""" The Force Awakens was the best Star Wars movie ever because its search peak is higher than that of The Revenge of the Sith.
    Let's also point out the other three points picked were films, not TV shows. One thing people Google a movie for, a lot, is showtimes. Which also explains why those searches would peak at the film's release, and really quickly fall off.

It's a dishonest comparison from the outset.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's a dishonest comparison from the outset.
    I just don't see the need to go through all this.

Neither Discovery nor Picard (from what little is available) are the best Star Trek shows. There are other better quality shows in general on right now. It's easy to say. But I have found both to be enjoyable so far, and am interested to see where they're going...because I'm a fan of the franchise. If I wasn't, I probably wouldn't care, just as I couldn't care less what's happening in Dr. Who at the moment, seeing as I've seen a grand total of like 4 episodes of that entire franchise.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-02-06 at 04:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't see the need to go through all this.

Neither Discovery nor Picard (from what little is available) are he best Star Trek shows. They are other better quality shows in general on right now. It's easy to say. But I have found both to be enjoyable so far, and am interested to see where they're going...because I'm a fan of the franchise. If I wasn't, I probably wouldn't care, just as I couldn't care less what's happening in Dr. Who at the moment, seeing as I've seen a grand total of like 4 episodes of that entire franchise.
    It's a weird thing with toxic fandom these days. Nothing is as good as nostalgia, so everything new is garbage and terrible and must be hate-fucked to death. It's not okay to just decide you don't like it, it's an attack on everything you are and thus must be destroyed.

It's self-absorbed nonsense. Nobody's making you like a thing. Just enjoy what you enjoy, and don't make your life's work out of pissing in other fan's Wheaties.

A lot of people disliked DS9 (until they didn't). A lot of people disliked Voyager (still do). A lot of TNG was, by today's standards, awful. If you don't enjoy a thing, stop hate-watching it and telling everyone about how awful it makes you feel. Just ignore it and do something you do enjoy. It's okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't know yet when the third season will begin. I agree with you. They now can do almost anything they want with the franchise. Even make Vulcans villains, or make the Bajorans rule over a huge empire. Or turn the Klingons into a refined people sipping tea in precious china... Everything can happen in a thousand years.
    Fuck em. They want to be upset and angry all the time, let them. As long as they keep making seasons, and it stays at least this good, I'll keep watching. it's
    like all the people complaining about Doctor Who, the last few season. It's not as good as it used to be, sure... Still worth watching, though.

I'd totally watch an evil Bajoran empire. Kira as a character simply wouldn't exist, today. It would be interesting to see how the spin her whole "Proud Terrorist" angle, for modern audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Yeah...same could be said about a 20 year old movie that completely kicked its ass in both showing...but here it is blowing it out of the water both times
    The 20 year old classic family favourite, which is also a christmas movie and aired during the holiday season. That movie?

Simple fact is, Disco gets enough viewers, that it's not a loss to the network to keep making it. That's the only figure that matters. Although, I have a feelig E4 might not show it anymore. Between them moving The 100 and Charmed to LATE night slots, and Disco's poor ratings, I get the feeling they're not exactly feeling the genre love on that channel.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Kira as a character simply wouldn't exist, today. It would be interesting to see how the spin her whole "Proud Terrorist" angle, for modern audiences.
    Huh? Why not? The "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" trope is a thing, you know. And the Cardassians were portrayed as suitably villainous (to allow us to empathize with the Bajoran "terrorists") in TNG at least a couple years before the stories of their conquest, rape, and genocide in DS9.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-02-06 at 11:16 AM.

I really don't care what others think. I like the show. The others can rot.
    I like season 2 alot more then season 1, but might also be that until last episode of season 2 i was really hoping that this was how the Borg was created in that timeline, had to many similarities with the Borg to not be them but sadly not.
    Last edited by Raven; 2020-02-06 at 11:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh? Why not? The "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" trope is a thing, you know. And the Cardassians were portrayed as suitably villainous (to allow us to empathize with the Bajoran "terrorists") in TNG at least a couple years before the stories of their conquest, rape, and genocide in DS9.
    It's not one thing, it's her whole attitude. Just finished the show recently and there are numerous scenes, lines etc that would raise more than a few eyebrows, these days.

It's not one thing, it's her whole attitude. Just finished the show recently and there are numerous scenes, lines etc that would raise more than a few eyebrows, these days.
    eh. I guess I just don't see it. If a movie that can make us sympathize with someone like the Joker is capable of earning a billion at the box office...I don't think a character who is a terrorist that's unapologetic about murdering the shit out of the people who had enslaved and brutalized hers would be that hard of a sell.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly the show is popular enough that the CBS Streaming is keeping it going - whatever the numbers are everyone else wants to pull out of their arses as meaning anything.

Clearly, the CBS streaming channel likes the numbers of Disco and likes this direction - which is why we're now getting 3 ST Spinoff series (Saw the ad for Section 31 series the other day....).

Until someone starts showing viewership comparison numbers of CBS ALL ACCESS tv shows against other CBS ALL ACCESS tv shows; you won't have ANY CLUE about how popular any of it is.

I mean you're talking about a PAID Streaming channel (owned by a 'free' cable channel corp) that has like....what...4...5..6? Original TV shows to offer to convince people to PAY to watch them. (Since they can watch CBS over the air/free in most places in the US anyway)

So you/we (public) have no way of norming those numbers. You have no way of knowing what percentage of viewers is watching any of the shows at all on the CBS All Access service. For all you know, they only need 2% viewership of Disco to turn the profit they need to keep going - because all the other shows they are offering are at .2%. Hell if we know - that's why this is pointless.

If only 5% of the tv population is paying to watch the stream in the first place, then having 1% of that viewership tuned into a single show on your network would be the 'premiere flagship" show.

All of the numbers and any inferences any of us wanted to pull from them - would all be way off without the context of the rest of the numbers for CBS ALL ACCESS, to make the comparison with.

To compare a PAY TO WATCH AT ALL show, two years after its release, to rerun movies on basic cable channels - is comparing apples to giraffes. Comparing any show you have to pay to have access to, to anything on 'basic cable' access, is going to be skewed and off if not adjusted or seen in context of the bigger picture.

Much less to put any time or energy into it to try and prove other people they are 'wrong' about the show that you don't even like...
    Humans so silly!
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Until someone starts showing viewership comparison numbers of CBS ALL ACCESS tv shows against other CBS ALL ACCESS tv shows; you won't have ANY CLUE about how popular any of it is.
    It like evrything else, like World of Warcrafts subscribe number. Then the numbers are good they are public, then they are bad they are a secret.

CBS ALL ACCESS do not show the numbers, hence you can draw the conclusion that they are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    It like evrything else, like World of Warcrafts subscribe number. Then the numbers are good they are public, then they are bad they are a secret.

CBS ALL ACCESS do not show the numbers, hence you can draw the conclusion that they are bad.
    wooh there brother, your phd in microeconomics is showing

10+ Year Old Account

"With no data to work from, we can just make shit up and pretend it's true".

This isn't an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    wooh there brother, your phd in microeconomics is showing
    So enlight me, what is wrong in the reasoning?

The CEO says they have 10 million with their two services combined... So I look forward to seeing how you're going to shift this goal post.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "With no data to work from, we can just make shit up and pretend it's true".

This isn't an argument.
    I did not say it was true, I did say you can drawn the conclusion.