Poll: Which rare collectible model do you prefer?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which rare collectible model do you prefer? Argus or Nazjatar/Mechagon?

Argus mode: quick respawns with high drop % for toys, pets and mounts but not all rares are up every day.

Nazjatar/Mechagon mode: all rares are up every day but on lengthy spawn timers and with low drop % for toys, pets and mounts.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think I prefer the Timeless Isle model, where there are reasons to just hang out and play in the zone all day if you want, things spawn fairly quickly and get displayed on the map, people rush to them and take them on together, the drop rates are somewhat low but you have lots of opportunities to kill them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Argus.

The long respawn timer of Nazjatar means you have to be very lucky when you are online to grab them. I liked Argus much better in terms of farming them. Still trying to get the last ray mount from the yellow ray rare.

Argus model.

Camping rares is incredibly boring and timeconsuming (hence the name "rare"), so having a short spawn/high droprate is a must for me.

Long respawns suck. There are still Outland rares I haven't killed for that achievement!

Argus. I'd rather be playing the game, while casually watching netflix on the side, than sitting in one spot waiting while putting most of my attention on netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I think I prefer the Timeless Isle model, where there are reasons to just hang out and play in the zone all day if you want, things spawn fairly quickly and get displayed on the map, people rush to them and take them on together, the drop rates are somewhat low but you have lots of opportunities to kill them.
    Except for the rock giant. Screw that guy.

Camping Rustfeather is fucking boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Argus model.

Camping rares is incredibly boring and timeconsuming (hence the name "rare"), so having a short spawn/high droprate is a must for me.

Long respawns suck. There are still Outland rares I haven't killed for that achievement!
    I made a post back during WoD when Poundfist was released that Blizzard was encouraging unhealthy and obsessive behaviors in its subscribers by making a mount that you get by... literally just staying in one place and staring at your screen for hours and hours and hours and hours.

My post wasn't well received, obviously. But I can't think of any other games that would reward you for just staring at your screen and doing nothing. IMO after lootboxes are tackled, regulators should take a look at games that encourage obsessive behaviors.

And oh by the way I think the Time Lost Proto-Drake and Aeonaxx were well-designed rare mounts. They involved an element of observing their patrol paths, spawn points and spawn timers. It took time but it was interesting and you could do it over the course of the entire expansion, maybe an hour or so every week. These rares, on the other hand, just encourage you to stare at your screen and wait.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Except for the rock giant. Screw that guy.
    I have never seen that guy alive. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    I have never seen that guy alive. Ever.
    I've never seen that guy, period.

fast respawns, lower drop rate. Any game designed to make you sit and wait instead of actually playing is a really shit game design. Sitting an hour each day and just wait for shit like rustfeather to respawn. Its junk, nothing more. Even more so considering how fast they die when there are people around, so if you decide to do something else while waiting, its dead before you reach it. Utter garbage design.

10+ Year Old Account
    My personal order would be Mechagon, Argus and then Nazjatar. The rares in Nazjatar were plain boring and barely even worth killing, but at least some of the Argus rares did indeed drop things such as toys, pets and mounts. I enjoyed Mechagon a lot because it felt you were always getting something worthwhile when you downed a rare, the building materials were great because they could be used to create things of your choice that you actually wanted. As for the rares in 8.3, I'd rank them even lower than Nazjatar as they seem equally, if not more useless, but have more health and deal more damage on average, making them more annoying to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I made a post back during WoD when Poundfist was released that Blizzard was encouraging unhealthy and obsessive behaviors in its subscribers by making a mount that you get by... literally just staying in one place and staring at your screen for hours and hours and hours and hours.

My post wasn't well received, obviously. But I can't think of any other games that would reward you for just staring at your screen and doing nothing. IMO after lootboxes are tackled, regulators should take a look at games that encourage obsessive behaviors.

And oh by the way I think the Time Lost Proto-Drake and Aeonaxx were well-designed rare mounts. They involved an element of observing their patrol paths, spawn points and spawn timers. It took time but it was interesting and you could do it over the course of the entire expansion, maybe an hour or so every week. These rares, on the other hand, just encourage you to stare at your screen and wait.
    Are the WoD rares really that different from TLPD and Aeonaxx? They spawn after a certain number of hours and then hang around a specific area of a zone until killed.

If anything I'd argue that the worst is the voidtalon from WoD. You need to click a portal that is only up for 5-10 minutes before despawning to another point that can be in any of 6 areas. Respawn time cand be anywhere from 13 hours upwards and only one person can get it at a time. People just shuffling trial characters to try and get it.

At least with Poundfist and other WoD rares, people were doing raid groups, patroling routes, keeping eyes on spawn points together, dueling to pass the time and you could see groups in the groupfinder when a rare poped up.

3rd option a mix of both long and short timers but add in you now have bad luck protection for toys/mounts so each time you kill it the drop rate goes up slowly.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Fast respawns and low drop rates (daily lockout). Or slow ass respawns but hight drop rates. Pls don't do ass long respawns and low drop rate (cough Soundless) Its total garbage.
    Last edited by kappalol; 2020-02-06 at 10:54 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Argus mode: quick respawns with high drop % for toys, pets and mounts but not all rares are up every day.

Nazjatar/Mechagon mode: all rares are up every day but on lengthy spawn timers and with low drop % for toys, pets and mounts.
    Argus, without a doubt. I think I got pretty much every collectible from Argus, but I struggle to get only a handful of the Naz/Mechagon ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I have some really good memories from camping Poundfist. Was there for 18 hours in the same group that had 2-3 40 man groups spawn camping. He had three spawn points so there was a lot of communication going on. Towelliee and Swifty were in the group I was in at one point for an hour or two, was awesome.

Realistically this isn’t encouraged. You do it if you want to. I don’t do this anymore since I Mythic raid and that takes most of my time but camping rares with long spawn times made some good memories for me and was a lot of fun.

Though that was within the very first week or two of hitting 100. Everyone and their family wanted poundfist since it was the first Gronn mount we’ve ever had. It’s probably a much different experience camping him now without the rush of 100s of people also camping him with you.

To answer the question though, I like timeless isle/argus/mechagon a lot. The events in timeless isle were awesome and I like that they appeared on the map, the rares were decent enough to farm as well. Argus was also a good model, collecting the eggs to hatch the ray mounts and rares spawning on different days was also cool. Mechagon was great because there was a lot to do there at launch like the mechano-cat/colors, building and then farming the rares. I’d probably say timeless isle was my favorite out of the 3.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2020-02-06 at 03:55 PM.

One thing to add to the Nazjatar/Mechagon part. That you have the ability to spawn/summon quite a few of the rares yourselves. Nullifier and the fish thing in Mechagon. The trees, blood eel, and such in Nazjatar.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Argus. I had a great time collecting everything rare and interesting so long as I dedicated myself to it.

Contrary to that, I've been killing hardmode reclamation rig, regular reclamation rig and Steelsinger Freza every day for the Triumph of Gnomeregan vinyl drop and I've yet to get it. Final piece needed for my Mechagon meta. Rockweed Shambler, similarly, was an ass.

And let's not get started about Soundless.

Argus, seemed way more fun and I recall getting way more pets and mounts on luck in a month than I have in Nazjatar in 3 months. Plus, Nazjatar is awful to navigate and I haven't unlocked flying yet, so moving around quickly enough is a pain in the ass.