Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    Why do you think tbc will be more popular than classic?
    I personally prefer classic over tbc. But why do others prefer tbc? Some "meme" specs got improved. Resilience makes it so you cant get 1 shot and some players prefer longer fights. Some ppl like to fly. Arena. They might prefer the raids. Might prefer 10 and 25 mans as opposed to 20 and 40 mans. Some ppl just prefer belfs or draenei. Lore maybe?

Just update all realms to TBC, enough with the segregation.

They need to introduce servers that reset themselves every few years and progress the current servers into tbc.

Fresh is life

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    ../facepalm

No, the version running at Blizzcon was running on the Legion Client. Because Legion was the active form of the game.

its built on the -exact same- client as the live game.

It just has features removed that aren't needed.

They dont maintain 2 separate code bases.

Go back to what I was quoting. Someone else made a comment about a new client being needed. My point, that wasn't clear was that with it being on the current system, it already has TBC data in the backend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurwi View Post
    Classic servers would die because majority of players would move on to TBC and it would not make sense financially to keep the Classic servers running. Possibly a massive merge so there is only one PvE, one PvP and one RP server.
    You do realise servers in 2020 are cheap as hell? It really wouldn't be financially un-viable at all to keep a couple vanilla realms going. It would probably drive subs to do so because there'll always be a demand for Vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    Arena ruined PvP. Why was the pve better? Because it had a few more mechanics?
    Arena did no such thing. It was merely an additional form of content and you weren't obliged to do it. Battlegrounds were still alive and kicking strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Arena did no such thing.
    It did. It can ruin PvP and still have BGs be well populated. WHat he's referring to is that the incessant whining from the Arena tryhards about "muh balance" that utterly destroyed any actual semblance of balance because of the Dev's trying to force Arena as an eSport and not just a fun side-gig.

It was merely an additional form of content and you weren't obliged to do it.
    Rating requirements for 3 pieces of gear say otherwise.

Battlegrounds were still alive and kicking strongly.
    And the quality of PvP still continued to decline sharply.

To be clear, though: Im not arguing against TBC servers (and eventually LK servers).

Im just saying your "argument" was flawed and easily debunked.

Lol, opening TBC servers would be like opening a can of worms. Why wouldnt they then open Wotlk servers? And later Cata, Mop... you see where it's going? Yes, you personally can think "TBC was the peak of wow, further servers are not needed", but then there are obviously some people who think vanilla was peak, or wotlk, or cata... so why would your opinion matter more than the next guy's?

Classic was an equivalent of creating a can of worms and putting it on display. TBC servers would open that can. Besides, wanting TBC servers is a ridiculous goal shift.

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    The most cost effective way to add tbc would be having a warmode-like population phasing .
    You opt in to TBC irreversibly , having the same people on the same servers would be best to avoid player migration and you could be able to play some characters on tbc and the others in vanilla if you desired.
    But they would have to separate auction houses and cut off mailing to different phase alts to keep the economy true .

Or just add servers IDK , it seems like many realms run on the same machines anyway but i'm no engineer so don't take me too seriously, just my 2cents
    They are most definitely going to do Classic TBC (cTBC) since mostly all the ground work has been done and Classic brought a ton of people back to the game. My guess is that they will have far less TBC servers than Classic but I would be extremely surprised if they didn't have a pre Alpha cTBC build internally they are messing with.

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    Lol, opening TBC servers would be like opening a can of worms. Why wouldnt they then open Wotlk servers? And later Cata, Mop... you see where it's going?
    Ah, the old slippery slope. Blizzard would only ever re-release an expansion if they saw economic benefit in doing so, not simply because 30 people want to play Cataclysm. There is probably enough demand for TBC and Wrath to do this, but I'd be surprised if they ever went beyond those. Important to note, too, that a significant number of people who want to play TBC and Wrath actually do not play Classic, so there are some untapped subs there.

The feeling I get is that they want a really limited run of Classic (in the sense that they'll only bring out so much from the past before they say "No more...." unless it's 100% new content made from the ground up for Classic). With that being said, I do see TBC being rolled out onto Classic servers and nothing changing other than server merges.

Quote Originally Posted by ohnoto View Post
    Go back to what I was quoting. Someone else made a comment about a new client being needed. My point, that wasn't clear was that with it being on the current system, it already has TBC data in the backend.
    You mean this:

Quote Originally Posted by ohnoto View Post
    A new client wouldn't be needed. Classic is built from the Legion client of the game.
    You were wrong.

I corrected you.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, opening TBC servers would be like opening a can of worms. Why wouldnt they then open Wotlk servers? And later Cata, Mop... you see where it's going?
    No, because there is a CLEAR delienation between Classic WoW and NuWoW. Its Cataclysm, where almost every game system was massively overhauled for the worse. (And even if "for the worse" is up to debate, the fact that they were massively changed and nothing like the "Classic" design philosophy is not up to debate.)

Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath are all built on the same design philosophy - that of "Classic" WoW.

Wrath and onward are not.

Yes, you personally can think "TBC was the peak of wow, further servers are not needed", but then there are obviously some people who think vanilla was peak, or wotlk, or cata... so why would your opinion matter more than the next guy's?
    Strawman + Irrelevant.

What a two-fer.

You're positing that they cant all exist at once.

They can.

They dont need millions of subs to be wildly profitable. If each service (Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath) has ~70-100k players, thats millions of dollars a year in profit for basically zero effort after the initial setup and almost no server costs. ANd thats 7-10 healthy servers for each service.

Classic was an equivalent of creating a can of worms and putting it on display. TBC servers would open that can. Besides, wanting TBC servers is a ridiculous goal shift.
    Its not a goal shift.

Its an additional goal, now that we know there is a market.

You might want to take your uh... "argument" back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    Two kinds of servers (well 6, counting PvP, PvE and RP).

One kind with fresh start for all, no copying or moving, everyone starts at 1 and levels to 70.
    Then one where we get to copy over our characters (not only one, but all), so we can start the leveling from 60 with the gear we've farmed.

These NEEDS to be seperate, as the second option would have way too much of a headstart, "forcing" everyone to copy and not start over.
    This is silly. Burning crusade is an expansion, when it launched there was no "fresh start". If you didn't already have a 60 you were behind the curve. Same should be true of BC servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

All current servers will become TBC servers just like retail does it with expansions. And if they feel its necessary they can open up a new realm that people can transfer to for free which will stay classic forever.

The "private server gang" who arent interested in TBC will just look for a fresh vanilla private server at that point anyway. I'd imagine the vast vast majority will be ready for TBC when classic has been played out after Naxx.

So the best move is to let the people who wants to stay on classic, to migrate and not the other way around. imo

You might want to take your uh... "argument" back to the drawing board.
    Or else what?

Oh, sorry.

Or

Else

What

Is

Gonna

Happen

?

?

I also like how you put arguments in quotes. Shows you aren't mature enough to discuss and respect other people's opinion. You might want to leave public forum discussions and write, I don't know, in your diary.

Lol, opening TBC servers would be like opening a can of worms. Why wouldnt they then open Wotlk servers? And later Cata, Mop... you see where it's going? Yes, you personally can think "TBC was the peak of wow, further servers are not needed", but then there are obviously some people who think vanilla was peak, or wotlk, or cata... so why would your opinion matter more than the next guy's?

Historical player numbers say everything. They will make TBC, and they will make Wotlk.

They won't make Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    Arakakao beat me to it. That's what I did in vanilla once I geared up a couple guys. Try another class or try the other faction.

If it's still not enough and boring to someone, the solutions is quite obvious that the game just isn't for them. As much as I wish certain things were still around or others were gone, there are plenty of other games.
    You still don't get it. When you tried another class or the other faction in Vanilla, the game was still developing further. It had new players coming in, always a new patch or expansion coming up on the horizon, still a lot of potential ahead.

We're talking about the game having ended. Classic has a predetermined end point. When everyone has grinded naxx for 1 year + and TBC is available, do you think there are still going to be people left to level a alt with? People left to run dungeons with on your fresh 60 alt? People who will still run MC with your alt to gear him out? And the crux of it all, do you think there will be enough people left that would enjoy this eternal stalemate enough for it to be economically viable for Blizzard to continue to host servers?
    Last edited by Naraga; 2020-02-07 at 01:17 AM.

Or else what?

Oh, sorry.

Or

Else

What

Is

Gonna

Happen

?

?
    Ill happily continue to point out your inane and idiotic comments, what a fool you are, and how you have no argument.

I also like how you put arguments in quotes. Shows you aren't mature enough to discuss and respect other people's opinion.
    Your opinion is not automatically due respect. If your opinion is moronic, its moronic and im under no obligation to respect it. Quite the contrary, we're in the position we're in societally because we've forgotten that it is, in fact, OK to call people out for being idiots when theyre being idiots.

You might want to leave public forum discussions and write, I don't know, in your diary.
    Or you'll... what?

Continue to show yourself to be a complete fool?

Go right ahead, my man.

Dont let me stop you.

ill be here to point it out and keep laughing at your expense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naraga View Post
    We're talking about the game having ended. Classic has a predetermined end point. When everyone has grinded naxx for 1 year + and TBC is available, do you think there are still going to be people left to level a alt with? People left to run dungeons with on your fresh 60 alt? People who will still run MC with your alt to gear him out? And the crux of it all, do you think there will be enough people left that would enjoy this eternal stalemate enough for it to be economically viable for Blizzard to continue to host servers?
    Yes, i do.

There are games that dont advance at all, that haven't advanced in years, that have healthy populations that are completely content to simply play the game as is.

Will it be the ~400k-500k player Classic has now?

No, of course not.

But it doesn't have to be. 50,000k people is 5-10 healthy servers and almost a million dollars in profit (monthly) for basically no effort or cost. Not that i think it will sink that low.

Itll probably settle in the 80-120k range.

The easiest (thus most likely) thing they can do is simply open BC on the servers, im not sure why anyone thinks anything different will happen, including classic+. Classic plus will never happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Ill happily continue to point out your inane and idiotic comments, what a fool you are, and how you have no argument.

Your opinion is not automatically due respect. If your opinion is moronic, its moronic and im under no obligation to respect it. Quite the contrary, we're in the position we're in societally because we've forgotten that it is, in fact, OK to call people out for being idiots when theyre being idiots.

Or you'll... what?

Continue to show yourself to be a complete fool?

Go right ahead, my man.

Dont let me stop you.

ill be here to point it out and keep laughing at your expense.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, i do.

There are games that dont advance at all, that haven't advanced in years, that have healthy populations that are completely content to simply play the game as is.

Will it be the ~400k-500k player Classic has now?

No, of course not.

But it doesn't have to be. 50,000k people is 5-10 healthy servers and almost a million dollars in profit (monthly) for basically no effort or cost. Not that i think it will sink that low.

Itll probably settle in the 80-120k range.
    Everquest has a server like this. It was healthy after it stopped progressing for about a year, then completely died. Expect the same to happen here.

MMO's need regular new content to keep a healthy amount of players around, just a fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Arena.

And better PvE.

Actually almost everything is better in TBC when you think about it. Why do you think it won't be more popular?
    Agreed. BC is basically classic+. Wrath is closer to retail than it is to classic, although I still like/liked wrath.

Lol, opening TBC servers would be like opening a can of worms. Why wouldnt they then open Wotlk servers? And later Cata, Mop...
    I actually want MoP servers. And no, I'm not trolling or joking.

In my opinion they should make the current servers transition to TBC 1 year after Naxx release.

I see no point in keeping the vanilla servers around. It literally goes against the spirit of Vanilla and MMORPG's to have a finished game.

TBC did see fresh servers though.
    There are people who play vanilla and ONLY vanilla. They will not accept TBC as a replacement for vanilla. Your solution, while elegant, will not satisfy 100% of the playerbase.

Set up new set of classic servers with TBC Pre-patch (2.0.1)
    Let anyone that wants to play TBC transfer their classic accounts over to the new servers
    Let the servers stay in pre-patch for a few weeks
    Meanwhile merge any old classic servers together that have a low population
    Release TBC (2.0.3) on the newly made pre-patch servers

This way you give time to let people move their characters over and continue playing "classic" until the release of TBC
    and you have time to find out which servers become barren and get rid of them, getting those who still wanna play classic onto the needed amount of servers.