APEX Legends 8/10

It was really hard. It will be hard. I'm sad that no solo or duet in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Age of Empires II Definitive Edition 9.5/10

Best game of all time imo and a TRUE remake of a 20 years old game.
    Blizzard could learn a thing or two from the Forgotten Empires crew.

Assassin's Creed: Origins - 9/10
    The Hidden Ones - 8.5/10
    The Pharaoh's Curse - 8.5/10

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed ACO. The stealth play is very well done, and combat is very well done as well. The game has a ton of content in it, with a staggering amount of solid voice work. I picked up the full bundle for ~$20 on Steam a while back and finally sat down and played through it all, which took ~100 hours (including the 2 DLCs). The base story was well done, and it really did feel like the Origins of the Creed, which kicked in towards the end of the game. I should also note that ACO is a better Tomb Raider game than anything in the recent reboot trilogy. I was also happy to see that they included the Ancient Ones (or whatever they're called), but it would have been nice to see a bit more of them in the DLCs.

Where the core game introduces the Creed, its The Hidden Ones that lays the actual foundation. While it does an OK job at that, I felt that it was a bit short. Granted it's normally a $10 DLC, but I felt that it could have had 3-5 more POIs, and perhaps an additional side quest or two. Additionally, it felt somewhat rushed, as I constantly got stuck on terrain, either running into a slightly angled low rock that I couldn't step up onto, or I'd run into a section of cliff that I couldn't climb past, and had to try and climb around it. I should note that I never experienced anything like this in the core game. This may not have been a big issue, but the map is very canyon/cliff based, so you either take the long way around on the road, or you climb over.

The Pharaoh's Curse is a more stand-alone story that deals mostly with The Valley of the Kings, and some of the older Pharaohs, like Tutankhamen and Nefertiti. For a $20 DLC, I felt they did a really good job here. Not only is the map fairly large, with a decent number of POIs and side quests, you also enter 4 very different Afterlife maps, each with their own bit of content within them (by different, I mean one is a marble city, one is a large field, one is a big cavern with giant flowers, and one is a barren desert with giant busts, so a lot of artwork and level design went into these). My only real complaints here is that I ran into the same blocked movement issues as I saw in The Hidden Ones, though much less often, and it had two design annoyances. The first is the boss fight cutscenes, which are skippable, but the further you are in the game, the further away you spawn from the cutscene, which gets really annoying; I think the last cutscene was 5-10 seconds, which doesn't seem like much, but doing it over and over and over again gets really, really old fast. The second is a quest in which you need to find and defeat a specific boss from a pool of bosses that spawns on a 5-6 minute timer. If you miss the boss, defeat the boss, or are defeated, if its not the right one, you get to stand around for another 5-6 minutes until another one spawns. With a run of bad luck, you can be just standing around for 20-30 minutes, and since this is one of the last quests, there's not much else you can do pass the time.

Volcen (*pronounciation?*) - Lords of Mayhem

I was reluctant to try the game but as the release date gets closer and closer (feb 13th) I decided to give it a go!

The graphics are nice, I prefer a little less bright but I do like the effects and polish the game seems to have on high settings. I like the skills that I viewed on YouTube and the build variety and I think the skill tree is big enough to make some interesting choices and the respecs are less forgiving than diablo 2 and path of excile in that you can reset your attributes and skill points endlessly.

Truthfully I only made it to level 8 so far so I should slow my role but I know at launch I’m going to grind end game and pray for end game content!

I’d give it a 8.25/10
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Just finished Jedi:Fallen Order. 7/10

Decent story. Graphics are pretty good. Exploration is fun, but combat is absolute garbage.

I'm a long-time souls player. I'm used to crisp controls and consistent timing of dodging/blocking/parry. Jedi Fallen Order does not have that. It's like the game designers watched some videos of Dark Souls, but didn't actually fully understand what was going on, but then tried to copy it. You can tell they built the game for a 10 year old who only wants to button mash. Blocking is automatic when you hold the block button down, and is unidirectional. But parrying....the timing for it seems to change every attack, even when you're attempting to parry the exact same type of attack. The game changes the parry window based on difficulty, but I couldn't find any consistency on any difficulty, even the easiest.

Added that are some immersion-breaking bugs and inconsistencies. When you're running around levels using your abilities to jump, climb, wall-run and otherwise be a parkour-master, often times what appears to be a simple jump from platform to platform turns out not to be. The way the game detects if you land, grab a ledge, or otherwise successfully make the jump is....inconsistent.

However, the story and characters are very enjoyable. Even for a fairly short game, there's a pretty decent amount of character development, and I absolutely LOVE the main antagonist of the Second Sister inquisitor. She's confident, powerful, and clever. And her story arc is actually believable(unlike certain other recent star wars movie female characters....). The main playable character, however....not so much. He's not bad, but neither is he very good. At least he's not a whiny B like Anakin, though. So there's that. ;D

The visuals of the game are often impressive, and the cut scenes are mixed in fairly well, and not overly long enough to break up the gameplay significantly. Unfortunately I had several sound synch bugs, where people were talking, but the audio was several seconds behind. Even in the final cutscene I had a bug where the background noise of rushing water kept playing even after the characters had left that scene(VERY annoying, because the final scene of the game is really good).

If Respawn can clean up this game and make the controls more crisp, and the timing better, and nail down the bugs, I'd bump the score up to an 8 or 8.5. Sadly, I think the overall combat, that's the lion's share of the game, holds it back.

Overall? Don't pay full price. "Rent" it for $15 using Origin Premium.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    Star Wars: Fallen Order - 6.5/10

I really really wanted to like this game more than I did. And I think the combat still needs tweaking. the combat relying on parry as a major opener is a good idea in theory, but I feel it was poorly executed in this game. It was just wildly inconsistent. I'd get it when I felt no way I would get it and times I felt I would nail it it didn't register. it was enough to honestly ruin most of the good of the game to me. After beating it I adjusted the difficulty between all of them for about an hour each and even on story mode parrying was insanely unreliable and inconsistent. The ending was epic and I wanted to really explore the worlds but the combat just made it so frustrating that I just moved on with the main story. With that said, I can't wait for the potential gitgud replies....
    No, trust me, you're not wrong. I've got over 1000 hours in Dark Souls 1-3, including some deathless runs. I felt exactly the same way you did about the combat. The fight against the bat was the worst.
    This is not a "git gut" issue unless you're referring to the devs.

Anyone who's been thinking about playing this: Absolutely do not turn up the difficulty with the expectation of more engaging gameplay. You won't get it. Just put it on story mode and blaze through the story, enjoying the puzzles and exploration. The combat is a waste of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Hollow Knight: 10/10

I hate giving 10s but I gave up trying to find some flaw to push it to 9.5. Kept putting off playing it until I had a long stretch of time to play and this game lives up to the hype.
    The only game which will be better than Hollow Knight will be Silksong.

100% approve of a 10/10 rating. There is no better metroidvania. Hollow Knight is the bar that all other games of that genre should aspire to reach.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
    Ori and the Blind Forest.
    10/10.
    Having just said what I did about Hollow Knight, I do have to say that Ori is right up there too. Like just barely behind. And the only reason is that Ori is a shorter game. Normally I'd say that Ori also has more intensely emotional moments, but Hollow Knight has a few more, and free DLC to boot.

Both are highly superior games, and I'm looking forward to seeing the comparison between "Ori and the Will of the Wisps" and "Hollow Knight: Silksong"
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-02-06 at 02:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Horizon Zero Dawn -> 9/10. If you add the last cutscene to it, 5/10.. my god that was cheap
    Out of curiosity, what cutscene? The one where Aloy finds Elisabet in the flower patch?

Or is there more in the DLC?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, I'm replaying God of War 2018. Second time playing it (played it upon release), was itching to play another good rpg (just finished Witcher 3 and FFXV a few months ago). The feels are still there, but it's one of those games where I wish I could experience all of it again for the first time, as I went in blind upon release - having only seen a fragment of the reveal trailer (where Kratos is fighting that troll in a kind-of older version of the game).

There are a few things I'm noticing, having played the game before - for example, in Helheim I had no idea how damn close the sky-boat got to that creepy-ass eagle, during my first run I was paying too much attention to the fight and keeping the ship up.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity2015 View Post
    Volcen (*pronounciation?*) - Lords of Mayhem

I was reluctant to try the game but as the release date gets closer and closer (feb 13th) I decided to give it a go!

The graphics are nice, I prefer a little less bright but I do like the effects and polish the game seems to have on high settings. I like the skills that I viewed on YouTube and the build variety and I think the skill tree is big enough to make some interesting choices and the respecs are less forgiving than diablo 2 and path of excile in that you can reset your attributes and skill points endlessly.

Truthfully I only made it to level 8 so far so I should slow my role but I know at launch I’m going to grind end game and pray for end game content!

I’d give it a 8.25/10
    I have it from when it was VERY early access, and the improvement/direction has been overall good. They had to backtrack on some aspects which was objectively a letdown but i think they just resized their goals when they realized they aimed too high - and they've always been transparent on changes. Given i played around 40 hours only with act 1 and the basic endgame, i think it's a solid base. I'll give a final vote after the release and some time playing it as a whole.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Just started another farm in StarDew Valley. Game never fails to make me happy, 10/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Metro: Last Light - 5/10

Im so behind on so many games, but finally pushed through this. VERY disappointed...I enjoyed 2033 a ton. Last Light felt more like a run of the mill shooter with a mediocre story. Hoping Exodus can bring me back to the series, but after forcing my way through this one...if it doesn't capture me like 2033 did I'll be uninstalling and moving on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    No, trust me, you're not wrong. I've got over 1000 hours in Dark Souls 1-3, including some deathless runs. I felt exactly the same way you did about the combat. The fight against the bat was the worst.
    This is not a "git gut" issue unless you're referring to the devs.

Anyone who's been thinking about playing this: Absolutely do not turn up the difficulty with the expectation of more engaging gameplay. You won't get it. Just put it on story mode and blaze through the story, enjoying the puzzles and exploration. The combat is a waste of time.
    Glad im not alone in this feeling, I don't play the souls games so it's good to hear a Souls vet have the same input about the parry timing that I felt while playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Out of curiosity, what cutscene? The one where Aloy finds Elisabet in the flower patch?

Or is there more in the DLC?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, I'm replaying God of War 2018. Second time playing it (played it upon release), was itching to play another good rpg (just finished Witcher 3 and FFXV a few months ago). The feels are still there, but it's one of those games where I wish I could experience all of it again for the first time, as I went in blind upon release - having only seen a fragment of the reveal trailer (where Kratos is fighting that troll in a kind-of older version of the game).

There are a few things I'm noticing, having played the game before - for example, in Helheim I had no idea how damn close the sky-boat got to that creepy-ass eagle, during my first run I was paying too much attention to the fight and keeping the ship up.
    The one where Sylens captures Hades and goes "LOL this was not the end bruh"... such a cheap way to force a sequel

Dead Space 2 - 7/10

Bought this years ago and decided to give it another spin. I like the gameplay which felt just challenging enough on Survivalist, and the graphics/lighting have held up surprisingly well, but I'm less sold on the story, and decidedly not sold on the horror elements which are basically just jump scares and so much gore and dismemberment that it becomes silly and meaningless. The only time I felt tension is in the Unitologist church, the first time you fight these raptor-esque creatures, that was fun. Most everything else was just monsters spawning from the same old closets over and over again.

Far Cry 5 - 7.5/10

Got it recently on a 75% discount, and I'm glad I did. I expected more Far Cry, I got more Far Cry, with one step forward and one step back. The step forward is the lack of radio towers making gameplay flow far more smoothly as you discover side missions and stashes by saving and talking to people, encouraging exploration rather than icon hunting. The step backwards is when the game interrupts said gameplay flow with forced main missions that almost always play out the same way; the local holier than thou psychopath tells you s/he's angry, sends an invincible squad of enemies with infallible sleep darts at you, you wake up captured listening to said villain monologing, then escape via contrived circumstances and have to take on ridiculous enemy spawns by yourself. If this happened once or twice it would be fine-ish, but that's how most main story missions are structured and it's not only frustrating from a gameplay point of view but story-wise makes everyone look like a total moron, the PC included.

The side missions are cool, and having a pet bear is awesome, but I doubt I'll finish this one, it just gets so repetitive after a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition 9/10

As closer to perfect as any remaster can get and is pretty much the bar for all remasters to aspire too. As someone who played the original game there is so much in there that wasnt int he original game, and the game looks so much cleaner and fresh without having to make you feel alienated from the nostalgia of the original game. I get so nostaglic playing this game in its remaster form so thats something... Here's to some more remasters

7+ Year Old Account
    Resident Evil 2 Remake

10/10

The game is perfect. I played the N64 version and the remake does justice and tribute to the original version. First, time I saw the gun store in the remake I tried going into it like the N64 version. That brought many great memories from a simpler time.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 - 8/10 (Very Good)

I was surprised how much fun this game is. It's essentially minecraft with a story. I never played DQB1 but apparently it felt like minecraft with some custom dragon quest style blocks thrown in. DQB2 doesn't feel like that. It definitely feels like a Dragon Quest RPG. It's got a decent story that has you go around and solve people's problems, usually through building things. Sometimes through combat, and sometimes through building things for combat.

Not only that, but your towns feel alive. Your people will use the things you build. They'll cook in kitchens and supply the food to tables. They'll use bedrooms, baths, and toilets as well, which is good because you need their "night soil". Many quests require you to build a room for your people with certain requirements. Sometimes they'll give you a mapped out blueprint and sometimes it's just "have these 4 things and 2 of these other things." The buildings are often simple to complete but its still neat to know you made this room that is now part of the story and it's nice to see your minions use it.

The combat is very simple, you essentially spam attack. There are a few special attacks but they often end up doing less damage than just spamming attack because they require you to hold the attack to charge up. Combat could be improved, but it's not really the focus of the game. Often you'll have npcs you're supporting (And building their swords!) that are stronger combatants than you. Later, you get to do some tower-defense strategies where you build traps and defenses and the NPCs hold the line, which is fun.

Overall the experience ends up greater than the sum of its parts. The two primary areas that could be improved is difficulty and combat. As I mentioned the combat is overly simple and could be easily improved with a little thought, but it doesn't need to be, because overall the game is pretty easy. It's rare you'll fail a mission combat, so there's not really a sense of overcoming a challenge there, but you do carry the story along and it feels good unlocking new building options and increasing your ability to create neat buildings. The story is often humorous and then suddenly has serious parts, which works well and something that anyone who knows Dragon Quest should expect.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2020-02-10 at 04:56 PM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Talisman 4th Edition - Physical board game gets a solid 10/10. One of the best, if not the best, board game I've ever played.

Talisman 4th Edition - Digital edition 8/10
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-02-10 at 08:07 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    So I played Control and my rating is 4/10. The game is shit, and here's my reasons why.

Firstly the good. The graphics are nice and even though you play a female character it doesn't feel SJW forced onto me. That's all I can say that's good about the game so lets move onto the bad. The main problem with the game is that it seems to move you from one kill box to another kill box. This is the games idea of gameplay. So much so that this is how you do the final boss, as in there's no boss. There's no multiple endings or anything you just kill your way to your brother and game over. To make matters worse the enemies are just humans with guns except for the few enemies that aren't. Humans that are HISS infected, but will act human just the same. There are bosses in the game but they're more for side quests, which we need to talk about side quests. Side quests range from actual work put into them to a random alert that guides you to... some room where you get into anther kill box. The map system gives you a vague idea of the objective that you need to accomplish and you will find yourself asking "where do I go" very often.

The second major offense the game does is that it leaves you on a cliff hanger. The story unfinished and nothing explained. Seriously, I have no idea what's going on in the game besides HISS bad and you good. You saved your brother but you kinda didn't. There is a lot of documents you can pick up and read but nobody has time for that. At least read it to me while I waste time going from one kill box to another, because despite the fast travel system in the game you will spend a lot of time walking from place to place. Then there's the gun system, which is stupid. You start off with the pistol and work your way up. You can turn it into a shotgun, a machine gun, a rocket launcher, and a charge up weapon that fires a massive blast. The only weapon worth getting is the Pierce one, where you charge it up. Oddly the rocket launcher is called charge, which is stupid. The issue is that you have very limited ammo that recharges, and Pierce gives you more damage per shot than any other weapon.

The main selling point of control is environment damage and that isn't even all that important in the gameplay. There is a boss that will smash the ground and poke holes into it, which allows you to fall to your death, but other than that it's just eye candy.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2020-02-19 at 08:44 PM.

Been playing Division 2. I'd give it 8/10. Has it flaws, as all games do. It's let down by end game replay-ability, but succeeds in the smooth gameplay and excellent detailed open world.

7+ Year Old Account
    Mordheim city of the Damned. 6/10

When it comes to Warhammer games it's far more miss then hit. Mordheim is a game i want to love but like most Warhammer games it's a bit crusty. Really i just want more warbands added to the game. They only have 6 and 4 of them are just types of humans. Undead and Skaven being the only exception.

Dark Souls 3: 8.5/10. I always respect games that have artistic identity and integrity. Dark Souls 3 is high on that list. It's pretty fun. Only downside is that unlike most of my favourite RPGs, this one got a bit boring as you approach the end. It relies so much on player's skill that it devalues the rpg customization part a bit. There's a feeling that I can equip and put points in whatever I want and I will still beat the bosses. Incredible game nonetheless.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2020-02-21 at 08:01 AM.

Days Gone - 9/10

Such and amazing game... Fighting horde feels awesome. Great story and World. Few minor bugs and frame drop but nothing special