Opinion; What’s next after a sham impeachment trial?

“Trump’s GOP offers neither intellectual heft nor ideological stability. If a political party has neither a cogent belief system, nor a program for allowing Americans to live their best lives as they see fit, that party is simply a gang.” A gang led by a bully.

The first step toward national sanity and constitutional recovery after impeachment, therefore, is to acknowledge what happened: Senate Republicans cowardly submitted to their gang leader and concocted retroactive excuses for their lack of principle.

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) acknowledges as much in a bracing op-ed in the New York Times. “So watching the mental contortions they perform to justify their votes is painful to behold: They claim that calling witnesses would have meant a never-ending trial. They tell us they’ve made up their minds, so why would we need new evidence? They say to convict this president now would lead to the impeachment of every future president — as if every president will try to sell our national security to the highest bidder,” he writes. He says this crowd "cannot fathom a fate worse than losing an upcoming election.” In short, Republicans are putting themselves above country because they are afraid Trump will chase them out of office otherwise.

That leads to the second step: To smash that defend-your-seat-at-all-costs mentality, the senators who capitulated to Trump must be voted out. The lesson learned must be that, if you want a career in politics, you need to do the right thing, especially when the stakes are so high.

Galen and Weaver vow: “We are committed to working with the Democrats because of our joint desire to protect the Constitution.” They plan to convince voters of “Trump’s fundamental unfitness for office and, second, why defeating him and his army of sycophants is the most immediate and effective thing Americans can do to begin writing our new history.” This requires putting aside policy disagreements, even serious ones, to make certain the likes of Trump, along with Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine), Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) and other Republican doormats, become exhibits in a self-help book entitled “Why Capitulation to a Bully Is Bad for Your Career.” The need to break the cycle of cowardice also means helping to save from defeat those lawmakers such as Sen. Doug Jones (D-Ala.) who took the tough vote to throw Trump out.

Third, it behooves disgusted and/or former Republicans as well as independents, in primary elections, to pull for Democrats who are viable in November. That means supporting challengers who are ethically above suspicion, ideologically appropriate to the electorate and solid campaigners and fundraisers. Now is no time to make a point; it’s time to win races.

Fourth, as Bill Kristol from the Republicans for the Rule of Law urges, it is also necessary to continue to investigate, expose and hold Trump accountability for ongoing abuses of power and corruption (e.g., emoluments, self-dealing):

In sum, the conduct of Trump and Republicans leading up to and during the impeachment proceedings is a powerful reason to throw them out of office. This horrible episode in our history should incentivize all Americans, regardless of party, to work toward a single objective: Clearing the desks so that post-Trump reform can proceed, and we can turn to repairing the substantial damage Republicans have done to our institutions and political norms.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    He wasn't held accountable though. He literally got off without any harm, and now can says he was innocent all along. He wouldn't have even been held criminal accountable giving that is not within the Senate's power. The Democrats couldn't even break 50 Votes when they needed 67. No chance in hell Trump was ever going to be held accountable by the current GOP held Senate no matter the evidence or what they charged him with. Impeachment is a political process and to think otherwise is a bit foolish.
    He was Impeached. That happened. Removing him from office was never going to happen. But Impeaching him was worth the effort, to show the world that Trump is a criminal, that was important. And we have a lovely tally of those Senators who are ok with confessed felonious behavior by the President. Which brings us to:

The one positive is if the DEM can manage to use the fact the GOP Senate didn't want to hear witness testimony during the impeachment. So here's hoping it helps them take some seats in the Senate, but that is unlikely given the seats available in 2020.
    There are between 3-6 GOP Senate seats that are now considered vulnerable to flip in 2020. The Impeachment was very much worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Jones in AL is really vulnerable. That should be the Dem's only potential loss.
    He's pretty much a guaranteed loss, I think. Even before this whole impeachment thing, his numbers were way too far in the red. He only got in through a dozen different flukes: Jeff Sessions gave up his seat without a successor lined up. Donald Trump wanted Luther Strange who lost his primary, and Alabama is loyal to Trump. Roy Moore was already a twice-impeached-and-removed judge, but then it turned out he was a pedo, too. And with all that, Jones only won by 1.6%. That boy's toast.

Democrats can win a good amount of seats if they play their cards right. I have my doubts that they will, though. Like here in Georgia, they could win Loeffler's seat easily if all but one democrat drops out and everyone stacks behind a good frontrunner. Not because Georgia is particularly susceptible to a blue wave, but because Doug Collins is challenging Loeffler, and Republicans will split votes between the two in the "jungle primary." But what will probably happen is that 5 democrats will fight over it and none of them manage to break the top 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I see at least two GOP Senate seats going to the Dems.
    Not too sure if the Dems will lose any seats however.
    My prediction is that McSally is done. Gardner and Collins are most probably done, Ernst might be done, McConnell and graham both have formidable opponents so wouldn't surprise me if they were done. The rest are probably safe

But Jones on the Dem side is done. Nobody else on Dem side is in any danger.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    He was Impeached. That happened. Removing him from office was never going to happen. But Impeaching him was worth the effort, to show the world that Trump is a criminal, that was important. And we have a lovely tally of those Senators who are ok with confessed felonious behavior by the President. Which brings us to:

There are between 3-6 GOP Senate seats that are now considered vulnerable to flip in 2020. The Impeachment was very much worth the effort.
    Best case scenario for the Dems at this point in 2020 is to hold onto the House, flip a few seats in the Senate and hope for a stalemate/reset until 2024.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    Best case scenario for the Dems at this point in 2020 is to hold onto the House, flip a few seats in the Senate and hope for a stalemate/reset until 2024.
    Weren't you, like, literally saying the same thing about the Democrats taking the House in 2018?

The Dems holding the House isn't in question. There are too many Republicans retiring to make up the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    He wasn't held accountable though. He literally got off without any harm, and now can says he was innocent all along. He wouldn't have even been held criminal accountable giving that is not within the Senate's power. The Democrats couldn't even break 50 Votes when they needed 67. No chance in hell Trump was ever going to be held accountable by the current GOP held Senate no matter the evidence or what they charged him with. Impeachment is a political process and to think otherwise is a bit foolish.

The one positive is if the DEM can manage to use the fact the GOP Senate didn't want to hear witness testimony during the impeachment. So here's hoping it helps them take some seats in the Senate, but that is unlikely given the seats available in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Had I not fired James Comey...I wouldn't be standing here right now."

Hey, guess who just publicly admitted to obstruction of justice.

Impeach him again? I think so.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Gee would you look at that. After a failed attempt to remove Trump from office his Approval Numbers are at an all time high of 49% approval, and might break 50% for the first time. In a election year no less. The entire (Impeach The MF) crowd must be very pleased with themselves over this.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/284156/...onal-best.aspx

The DNC is incompetent at the state and national level.
    The timing was really bad. The SoTU was favored by 82% of independents. China cut some of its tariffs in half. Alqaeda leader in Yemen killed. All the Iowa stuff.

Although you could also make the argument that maybe the Dems had possibly the worst week imaginable...but at least it all happened at once and early enough in the year that people will forget some of the sting. The Pelosi tear is the next "deplorables" moment tho...unfortunately that will get played over and over again until November.

10+ Year Old Account
    The SoTU was favored by 82% of independents.
    The same SOTU which had a 31% viewership drop off from last year? That SOTU?

Also, Pelosi is running for President? Slipped under my radar.

If the Senate flips...so will Trump.
    That would be worth the dems loses the presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If the Senate flips...so will Trump.
    That would be worth the dems loses the presidency.
    ...No, no it wouldn't.

The timing was really bad. The SoTU was favored by 82% of independents. China cut some of its tariffs in half. Alqaeda leader in Yemen killed. All the Iowa stuff.

Although you could also make the argument that maybe the Dems had possibly the worst week imaginable...but at least it all happened at once and early enough in the year that people will forget some of the sting. The Pelosi tear is the next "deplorables" moment tho...unfortunately that will get played over and over again until November.
    How is it worst week imaginable when it was predicted to have this outcome from the start??
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Not a Trump supporter and never said money didn't matter in politics, in face I am 100% campaign finance reform. So please stop making up lies
    I guess you are still role playing

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Honestly I'd love them to hammer at Pelosi tearing up the speech, because there's enough stuff that Democrats, Never Trumpers, and Left Leaning folks in general can pull out during Trump's tenure as an easy counter to the pearl clutches shrieking about 'Muh Decorum!'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Honestly I'd love them to hammer at Pelosi tearing up the speech, because there's enough stuff that Democrats, Never Trumpers, and Left Leaning folks in general can pull out during Trump's tenure as an easy counter to the pearl clutches shrieking about 'Muh Decorum!'.
    Just play that clip of him mocking a disabled reported on repeat.

Or this:

No, I'm not going to stop recommending this video to people. It's exactly what we need this year.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post

Or this:

No, I'm not going to stop recommending this video to people. It's exactly what we need this year.
    Really it's a whole host of things. Just bring up any single one of those moments where he's on stage or in his office acting like a child or a spurned highschool gossip girl and it should shut people up. Better to point to single instances though, some people get glassy eyed when you try and get them to think about more than a single thing at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post

Or this:

Midnight in Washington was definitely a speech for the history books. Schiff probably cemented a lifetime appointment to Congress with just this trial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Midnight in Washington was definitely a speech for the history books. Schiff probably cemented a lifetime appointment to Congress with just this trial.
    I see Feinstein's Senate seat in his near future, honestly.

But yeah...Adam Schiff is a genuine American hero. And I say that without any mockery or sarcasm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Really it's a whole host of things. Just bring up any single one of those moments where he's on stage or in his office acting like a child or a spurned highschool gossip girl and it should shut people up. Better to point to single instances though, some people get glassy eyed when you try and get them to think about more than a single thing at a time.
    Doesn't work for me. The responses I get are "He didn't say that"(Fake News), "What he meant was _____", "Yeah, it was awesome right?" or outright deflection.