[TV] Green Arrow & The Canaries - Contains **Spoiler**

ARrow Season 8 ep 09 for all intents and purposes is a backdoor pilot for the new show and it has a ton of information and spoilers. If you haven't watched it, I fully recommend it. However here is a short video synopsis that includes the espisode trailer and commentary.

My thoughts:

It started good, and ended up having me a bit worried that this might not offer anything really different from Arrow.

The start was totally surprising. And I thought, wow, good on them, they're going with a different setting background - Star City actually thriving, Oliver was successful, rather than the "everything is much worse" future the last 15 episodes of arrow kept pointing to.

THat was a great idea I thought, and when Lance comes in, warning of a future that could end the paradise, I thought - okay good, this gives the series a purpos, they're gonna try and save things rather than descend back into the hell pre-crisis.

Now I like that crisis actually gives some changes to all the shows, and so far the changes all seem promising to me. Biggest surprise was Jay Jay not only being a good guy but engaged to Mia. I thought that was pretty good. Diggle on hearing the future, did promise he would do things different to change it, and I was glad the actor was included and this time not a bad guy, it just seemed too CW "obvious" full of chessy twists and always jumping to bad or worse possible case scnearios and conclusions.

It was all going well, until they restored his memory - and now I am thinking... well, after all that, this series is going to be predictable. JJ a villain is what we all expect, now JJ fighting through the old reality to triumph over his lesser qualities, possibly after nearly going all bad...and actually becoming a hero... would be different, but most surprising is if he is written to flat out reject the old version of himself, and identify his wounding and is a hero from the get go.

It would be nice if they stayed in 2040 Star City, and stopped the time jumping. LEt's just leave that to legends. And the Waverider can bring them to the past for cross overs.

We have 3 more episodes before Arrow finishes. Let's see what happens.

Crisis Changes:
    Mia and Will actually grew up together and had a life - that's good
    Star City was saved - that's very good (tired of them making long battles end up for nothing, like in Star Wars EP 7-9)
    JJ - grew up properly and thus didn't have to become a psycho
    Dinah - is taken to the future star city from 2020 but doesn't know how.
    2020 Laurel - also goes to the future

Now if they don't reverse any of these I'd be good.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2020-01-23 at 03:19 AM.

I see Deathstroke in the background...and since there's no fucking way Mia is going to lay a beatdown on him, even with the help of Dinah and Laurel, he's probably just going to have a little meet and greet.

That said...maybe I'll try it out and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's gonna be a pass from me dawg. heck I haven't even kept up with Flash and Arrow in like 2 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Yeah that's gonna be a pass from me dawg. heck I haven't even kept up with Flash and Arrow in like 2 years.
    Same here. I was curious when I heard this was going to take place in the future, but it is only 20 years so I think the sci-fi elements will be minimal. Legends of Tomorrow is still just bucket loads of fun however.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    We have 3 more episodes before Arrow finishes. Let's see what happens.
    This past episode was the penultimate one tho, with next week being the final episode of the series. So where are you getting "three more episodes left" from?

Anyways, im interested to see what ends up happening with the new Arrow. This version of Kate McNarama's Mia is already a lot better than the darkest timeline version but pairing her with Kate Cassidy's Not Laurel and Juliana Harkavy's Dinah? Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. Forget the overlap of having two actress doing a different shade of virtually the same character, but both of them have never really fit in with Arrow, especially Dinah so having them headline the successor to the show that's going out on a high note? Bold choice. Well def need more Charlie Bennett and Ben Lewis for this to work but this looks to be more of the same and thats not a particular good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrotera View Post
    This past episode was the penultimate one tho, with next week being the final episode of the series. So where are you getting "three more episodes left" from?

Anyways, im interested to see what ends up happening with the new Arrow. This version of Kate McNarama's Mia is already a lot better than the darkest timeline version but pairing her with Kate Cassidy's Not Laurel and Juliana Harkavy's Dinah? Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. Forget the overlap of having two actress doing a different shade of virtually the same character, but both of them have never really fit in with Arrow, especially Dinah so having them headline the successor to the show that's going out on a high note? Bold choice. Well def need more Charlie Bennett and Ben Lewis for this to work but this looks to be more of the same and thats not a particular good thing.
    Indeed. It was suspect when I first learned of it seeing the dark future versions. Was pleasantly surprised and hopeful when I started the backdoor pilot, only for it to become predictable again by the end of the episode.

If you ask me, I am also not certain of Dinah's inclusion

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    It was an okay back door pilot, but honestly, I don't understand why even bother?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    It was an okay back door pilot, but honestly, I don't understand why even bother?
    Think of it as Arrow 2.0,all the same production staff,a handful of new actors/actresses they don't have to pay as much,and a heaping helping of ratings due to a mostly female lead cast,thus selling more commercials and opportunities for in show product placement,it's always about $$.

7+ Year Old Account
    Meh. I actually stopped watching Arrow when they started all this forward-jumping nonsense. The "future" scenes were trite and boring. Not sure how a full show based on it is going to fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Meh. I actually stopped watching Arrow when they started all this forward-jumping nonsense. The "future" scenes were trite and boring. Not sure how a full show based on it is going to fare.
    I agree, the best seasons featured Ra's Al Ghul and Damien Darkh. I always even hated the flashbacks to the island, as I felt it derailed the tension, but once they started with the future scenes, sitting through a whole episode was difficult. The future characters are boring. I'll give this a chance, especially if it airs on Tuesday night, but outlook not so fun from the premise.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I agree, the best seasons featured Ra's Al Ghul and Damien Darkh. I always even hated the flashbacks to the island, as I felt it derailed the tension, but once they started with the future scenes, sitting through a whole episode was difficult. The future characters are boring. I'll give this a chance, especially if it airs on Tuesday night, but outlook not so fun from the premise.
    Agreed. I've never been a fan of Dinah or Laurel, and Mia is pretty boring. They should have had Thea or Roy take the mantle. I'd give it a shot then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Agreed. I've never been a fan of Dinah or Laurel, and Mia is pretty boring. They should have had Thea or Roy take the mantle. I'd give it a shot then.
    Same, or even Connor Hawke had they done his origin closer to the comic books. Green Arrow Connor Hawke was awesome in the 90's. Roy would have made most sense within context of the show.