Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    his comments about rand's harem being problematic
    To be fair the harem is problematic but because two of the characters in it are awful and min has to share screen/page time with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Believe agelessness kicks in in the 20s, Liandrin is meant to be in her 30s so she would probably have the look, unless I'm misremembering (at book 11 in my reread so it's been a while since Liandrin was in play, just looked up her age), and to be honest casting Aes Sedai is going to be challenging because almost no one actually looks like what they're described as. She's being cast in the first season because they're starting the show a little bit before where the books begin, I believe incorporating more White Tower politics into the first season than there would be. Not sure how to take that either, but it's an understandable change. The beginning of EotW is widely considered to be weak (always liked it myself, but that's me), and a show really needs to engage audiences right off the bat. Starting where they are gets to the meat of the concept a little sooner so I get it. Will see how it plays out, if it's awful, I'll be right there with you. I'm a little on the side of "good change" because I always really enjoyed the politics of the series, and that doesn't get off the ground until fairly deep in the books.

I thought he'd talked about taking more of a polyamorous approach to the harem, which as tweaks go is pretty insignificant. Personally I don't care who is in a relationship with who in the show. If it's deeply important to you, fair enough.

As to the Red Ajah, to me it's pretty reasonable to sympathize with them. Male channelers were a scourge, and someone had to deal with them; in a world of magic users I would be grateful that they existed. Dealing with them sympathetically isn't impossible and is in the spirit of the story - we meet plenty of admirable Red Ajah along the way, characters like Teslyn or Pevara. Just because the showrunner likes them doesn't mean people in the story will, I'd be surprised if that element substantially changes.

Of course all of this is subject to reality, who knows what it will actually be.
    I think it depends when they start channeling more than anything because there were women who could use the power but didn't so they didn't get the ageless look. I don't think any of the main cast attained it over the course of the series so I would guess 10 to 15 years after they started channeling in earnest but obviously hard to tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    To be fair the harem is problematic but because two of the characters in it are awful and min has to share screen/page time with them.
    You shut your damn mouth Aviendha is awesome Elayne is so so but don't slander Aviendha.

I think it depends when they start channeling more than anything because there were women who could use the power but didn't so they didn't get the ageless look. I don't think any of the main cast attained it over the course of the series so I would guess 10 to 15 years after they started channeling in earnest but obviously hard to tell.

- - - Updated - - -

You shut your damn mouth Aviendha is awesome Elayne is so so but don't slander Aviendha.
    Not sure if this qualifies as a spoiler since it just involves a technical detail of the setting but it isn't something you learn until fairly deep in the story, and isn't something most of the characters are aware of until that point so will play it safe for any purists.

The ageless look is all about the Oath Rod and when you swear on it. Obviously there is a period of time after you've sworn where you don't look any different, but eventually it kicks in, 10-15 years sounds reasonable, if it's explicitly laid out I can't remember where.

Basically Aes Sedai are magically shrink wrapped, here is what it feels like for Moiraine as she swears each Oath in chapter 11 of New Spring:

[first]The Oath settled on her, and suddenly the air seemed to press harder against her skin...

[second]The pressure grew abruptly; it felt as though she had been sewn into an invisible garment, much too tight, that molded her from the crown of her head to the soles of her feet....

[third]That garment shrank to still greater snugness... invisible and utterly flexible, yet oh, so tight! This feeling that her flesh was being compressed would fade, but not entirely for a whole year. Light!
    Channelers who aren't bound by the rod just age much more slowly and live much longer, they never look ageless; the rod also cuts channelers' lifespan by something like 50%. The Oath Rod like most ter'angreal is a holdover from the age of legends, and in that time it was used to bind criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    "Oh god, the guy I like saw me naked, let's teleport in the middle of nowhere and run in shame!"

MIN RULES. Aviendha is OK. Elayne is one of the most annoying characters in the series.
    Truth.
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2020-02-07 at 09:43 AM.

Not sure if this qualifies as a spoiler since it just involves a technical detail of the setting but it isn't something you learn until fairly deep in the story, and isn't something most of the characters are aware of until that point so will play it safe for any purists.

The ageless look is all about the Oath Rod and when you swear on it. Obviously there is a period of time after you've sworn where you don't look any different, but eventually it kicks in, 10-15 years sounds reasonable, if it's explicitly laid out I can't remember where.

Basically Aes Sedai are magically shrink wrapped, here is what it feels like for Moiraine as she swears each Oath in chapter 11 of New Spring:

Channelers who aren't bound by the rod just age much more slowly and live much longer, they never look ageless; the rod also cuts channelers' lifespan by something like 50%. The Oath Rod like most ter'angreal is a holdover from the age of legends, and in that time it was used to bind criminals.
    Yeah I just start regoing through it been a while but I do remember that now I would probably consider that a spoiler personally. Of course there are other spoilers in this thread that are way bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

"Oh god, the guy I like saw me naked, let's teleport in the middle of nowhere and run in shame!"

MIN RULES. Aviendha is OK. Elayne is one of the most annoying characters in the series.
    Elayne's character makes sense when you realize just how sheltered she was kept doesn't make it a good character but makes her actions make more sense. Min is awesome though but so is Aviendha.

Yeah I just start regoing through it been a while but I do remember that now I would probably consider that a spoiler personally. Of course there are other spoilers in this thread that are way bigger.
    Fair enough, haven't been paying close enough attention but generally don't want to wreck anyone's fun in even a small way. Elayne's character makes sense she just... has an aggravating journey to go on and her storyline is a bit tedious. Guess even this conversation is pretty spoilery so I'm worrying about nothing.

Edit: I'm just excited I get to talk about Wheel of Time again.
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2020-02-07 at 09:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Yea, but Aviendha is the hottest.

Dem childbearing hips

I am pretty sure that Rand is the hottest
    But... Mat?!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am pretty sure that Rand is the hottest
    Nah, Rand is the coldest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    This but Rosamund Pike. She's easily the best actor they have attached to this thing IMO.
    Oooh, I forgot she was cast. Yeah, she's always good value.

As for getting to the Black Ajah this early. I'd heard there was going to be a lot of Moiraine stuff in season 1. So I'm guessing they'll bring some stuff from New Spring into this, and maybe Liandrin will be in that?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Oooh, I forgot she was cast. Yeah, she's always good value.

As for getting to the Black Ajah this early. I'd heard there was going to be a lot of Moiraine stuff in season 1. So I'm guessing they'll bring some stuff from New Spring into this, and maybe Liandrin will be in that?
    If they want to keep any mystery at all new spring should not be in it for multiple seasons which means they will probably start off with scenes from it in the first episode.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    "She had been Aes Sedai for well over one hundred years when she was hand-picked to become one of Tamra Ospenya's Searchers to find the Dragon Reborn after Tamra heard Gitara Moroso's Foretelling."

I believe the story will start in the White Tower, so it makes a certain amount of sense that we'll see some characters who didn't live to see the beginning of EotW.

To me what I'm aware of makes the show look pretty good. Would rather have a showrunner who gets and likes the books than a shiny cast.
    It would make sense to actually start with some bits from the prequel book, A New Spring, since the tie in factor really would help with not confusing the normies later in the series

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I'm torn. The cast looks awful, and the show is probably going to suck...
    Who knows. Maybe it'll be surprisingly good.

Remember, the casts of a lot of iconic shows and movies, such as Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Game of Thrones, were virtually unknown before their breakout hit. Furthermore, a lot of an actor's potential for a good performance is dependent on the director's ability to convey what he wants from a performance and to draw it out of the actor.

On the other hand, I have zero confidence in the Western entertainment industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope its better than the The Shannara Chronicles. I would sleep a little bit better if so :P

7+ Year Old Account
    She was cast as Liandrin I think, not Lanfear.

Also look the book has some stuff that some people think hasn't aged well. Obviously a showrunner will have to talk about it, and their opinions may vary from yours. This is life. Fixating on such a small aspect of the story or being sure that it will ruin a show before you've seen it or how they'll handle it is asinine. He's talked about plenty of other things, and comes off as a fan of the series.
    Ah NOW we come to the crux ot things, right here we have the nice people live and on the spot who´re saying that things have to be ok for "How the times are" (aka fucking bullsit sjw crap) and things that were written in the past have to be "advanced"...

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Ah NOW we come to the crux ot things, right here we have the nice people live and on the spot who´re saying that things have to be ok for "How the times are" (aka fucking bullsit sjw crap) and things that were written in the past have to be "advanced"...
    Not sure what you're saying.

Quote what the actual showrunner has said that has you so concerned, let's ground this in reality and take it point by point.
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2020-02-07 at 11:49 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what you're saying.

Quote what the actual showrunner has said that has you so concerned, let's ground this in reality and take it point by point.
    Or you can go back to the early posts in this thread where this issue was actually discussed. I'd assume that the amount of nudity, Rand's marrying of 3 women, though good story telling can actually rationalize it, even though Robert Jordan kind of half ass rationalized it. But it's funny, the whole power structure of WoT clearly favors women, despite Rand, Mat and Perrin being the protagonist characters. Women for the most part, hold the power. Aes Sedai really don't face any challenge from anyone, let alone men, until the Seanchan attack the White Tower. No doubt the woke left will find a lot of cry about the franchise being misogynistic. Literally the majority of the series is pro-women and anti-male just because of how Robert Jordan wrote his character arcs. Women often find men useless in WoT, and men are often either in servitude to women or are bodyguards for women. RJ used pretty common tropes for both male and female characters throughout the series, so anyone who wants to scream misogyny needs to do some reading.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2020-02-08 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Aes Sedai really don't face any challenge from anyone, let alone men, until the Seanchan attack the White Tower.

And funnily enough, the primary threat comes from women in the Seanchan, (The Empress, may she live forever). Not to mention it's literally women shackling women.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No doubt the woke left will find a lot of cry about the franchise being misogynistic. Literally the majority of the series is pro-women and anti-male just because of how Robert Jordan wrote his character arcs. Women often find men useless in WoT, and men are often either in servitude to women or are bodyguards for women. RJ used pretty common tropes for both male and female characters throughout the series, so anyone who wants to scream misogyny needs to do some reading.
    That's what worries me the most about any adaptation of WoT into the current political/social atmosphere. No matter how well written or presented, the nature of the dynamic in those books is going to have the SJW and virtue-signaling idiots out in force.

I just hope that they get the Battle of Dumai's Wells right.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I just hope that they get the Battle of Dumai's Wells right.
    omg...that was an amazing high point in the series.
    One reason why I refuse to believe that this show will work out...

But that's towards the end of the 6th book. They have time to prove me wrong, assuming that they devote such time to the prior books to set things up.Man I remember practically yelling at the book. I mean it was written so things were set up well; Black Tower established at the beginning of the book...and I almost forgot about it, until the "hollow boom" of a gateway, and a "black coat" coming forth...OMFG!!!1 Spilled my coffee...and I was embarrassing myself in a public place at the time... What a rush!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Who knows. Maybe it'll be surprisingly good.
    True, true. Although, the cast of GoT had enough people I knew, that I was hyped (Sean Bean, Lena Heady, Kit Harrington, Peter Dinklage, Mark Addy).

But tbh, it's not JUST the cast that as me worried. It's also some of the comments from the production staff that is raising eyebrows. Talking about all the changes they're going to make, and how they need to bring the story into 2020.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30